Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Anyone ever seen this released from Redwood or know anything about it?

not a huge malt fan, but it at least peaked my interest to take a picture of it lol 

IMG_1901.jpeg

Personally, I'd stay away unless you like scotch. The only malt whiskey I've liked is the Jack Daniels Special release from 2022. It was a hitter. I happily paid $200 to get a second bottle. 

image.png.88c94bfcb9ae318b1d0acdd773ec870c.png

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, TxTower said:

My guess is that they get a shit ton of Barton or other distillate bottled under their made up store brand names and then sell it as “hey this is just as good as (insert name here) but costs less”.

Blanton’s.  It’s better than Blanton’s.  

• Haha 3

On 2/6/2024 at 9:09 PM, Slacks said:

Dont know what this is, so I probably paid too much for it. 

PXL_20240206_144326441.MP.jpg

Our oldest bought a bottle of that for my husband but she lives out of state and said it wasn't as expensive as it is here. Husband gave it an 'okay,' but not one he'd go out and buy for himself. Agree with the TW technique--I only ever buy bottles I already know he likes from them because otherwise they'd see me with my cart and just know I don't do bourbon.

Do they have any Texas distilled bourbon or rye? I hate this shit where Texas businesses call themselves a distillery and the only thing getting distilled on site is vodka. 

I have a lot of Balcones.
Single malts are where they shine, but they’ve done some pretty damn good ryes as well.
Bourbon not so much, except for the Wheated.

5d927203e8fc2a583e3d5ecbbbb30ab1.jpg
Picked this up Friday night. Just sitting on a shelf at Specs. I’ve a had a few of these bottles in the past. The 124.7 was really good IMO. The 5 malt made me question life itself. As long as this is better than the 5 malt I will be happy with it.

I also picked up a Kentucky Spirit which I oddly had a hard time finding. I’m a big time fan of just about all things WT and was super jazzed to purchase one. Leads me to this question….when does total wine come out with their RR10 pick? I bought one years ago and I can’t remember what part of the year it was.

30 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

5d927203e8fc2a583e3d5ecbbbb30ab1.jpg
Picked this up Friday night. Just sitting on a shelf at Specs. I’ve a had a few of these bottles in the past. The 124.7 was really good IMO. The 5 malt made me question life itself. As long as this is better than the 5 malt I will be happy with it.

I also picked up a Kentucky Spirit which I oddly had a hard time finding. I’m a big time fan of just about all things WT and was super jazzed to purchase one. Leads me to this question….when does total wine come out with their RR10 pick? I bought one years ago and I can’t remember what part of the year it was.

Nothing is worse than the five malt, so you should be safe.  

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You truck following SOB. 

Actually a buddy tipped me off that they dropped at his TW yesterday morning, so I went down to the store by my house and got lucky. Been on the other side all too often, so glad the Bourbon Gods delivered in my favor for once. 

This new batch is unbelievable by the way. So oaky, rich and full of flavor for only 107 proof. 

The JD pick is about $20 higher than MSRP and the Kentucky Spirit pick is $15 higher. 

So? Inflation has been high and everything is more expensive in general. Not to mention that liquor stores know that whiskey demand is showing no signs of slowing down. Which is something you validated by still buying at those prices.

26 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So? Inflation has been high and everything is more expensive in general. Not to mention that liquor stores know that whiskey demand is showing no signs of slowing down. Which is something you validated by still buying at those prices.

I’ll pay more for a store pick if there’s a story behind it. Deb’s claims they do their picks in Kentucky, and charge a premium to cover their expenses.

Spec’s either has the distiller make the pick for them or if the employees are lucky, the distiller will send samples and they’ll have a tasting. They’re not incurring any additional expenses. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll pay more for a store pick if there’s a story behind it. Deb’s claims they do their picks in Kentucky, and charge a premium to cover their expenses.

Spec’s either has the distiller make the pick for them or if the employees are lucky, the distiller will send samples and they’ll have a tasting. They’re not incurring any additional expenses. 

As someone who has gone on multiple trips to do picks, I will tell you the stores I have been partnered with don't charge premiums to cover expenses.  Only expenses are either gas to drive to the distillery or airfare.    They charge premiums because people are willing to pay it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

As someone who has gone on multiple trips to do picks, I will tell you the stores I have been partnered with don't charge premiums to cover expenses.  Only expenses are either gas to drive to the distillery or airfare.    They charge premiums because people are willing to pay it.  

Fair enough. Again I don’t mind paying for more if it’s for charity or something,  but those picks are limited almost exclusively limited to private groups. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It has absolutely slowed down in Houston. 

Maybe. Specs not being able to move their Elijah Craig BP pick for weeks and weeks could be the canary in the coal mine. It’s a little young at 8 years and not priced well at $92, so it could be a one off. 

Based on the December drop picks, I’d say Austin and Dallas have cooled off. I might drive up to Austin next year for it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Went to my local specs last night and saw a bunch of bottles I had interest in for once:

Joseph magnus cigar blend batch 225 for $180
Remus gatsby reserve for $230
Remus repeal reserve 7 $90
EC toasted barrel for $55
Barrel cask strength 6yr for $76
Russel reserve single barrel rye $60
Woodford reserve Sonoma triple finish $130

Walked out with the JMCB which is my first time to find one on a shelf and try it. Really liked it, but need to try again when not already drunk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Went to my local specs last night and saw a bunch of bottles I had interest in for once:

Joseph magnus cigar blend batch 225 for $180
Remus gatsby reserve for $230
Remus repeal reserve 7 $90
EC toasted barrel for $55
Barrel cask strength 6yr for $76
Russel reserve single barrel rye $60
Woodford reserve Sonoma triple finish $130

Walked out with the JMCB which is my first time to find one on a shelf and try it. Really liked it, but need to try again when not already drunk.

I like it quite a bit, but I haven’t stumbled across a bottle yet. That’s a pretty decent price. I think Total sells it in the $220 range. 

Ok I’m in New Mexico skiing and found Jack Daniels Sinatra at basically msrp, Stagg jr at $249, and Midwinters(2023) at $179. 

Stagg is a pass for me at that price. Midwinters is intriguing bc I can’t find it anywhere. 

Who has had Sinatra? I’ve never seen it. I know that upper level Jack stuff is delicious tho. Thoughts? 

IMG_2052.jpeg

59 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Ok I’m in New Mexico skiing and found Jack Daniels Sinatra at basically msrp, Stagg jr at $249, and Midwinters(2023) at $179. 

Stagg is a pass for me at that price. Midwinters is intriguing bc I can’t find it anywhere. 

Who has had Sinatra? I’ve never seen it. I know that upper level Jack stuff is delicious tho. Thoughts? 

IMG_2052.jpeg

I’d pass on all 3. Sinarta is interesting, but I’d recommend just getting a pour at the bar. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:10 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

It has absolutely slowed down in Houston. 

It’s definitely slowing down and the big players like Heaven Hill caught up a year or two ago outside of the Texas market.   

Meanwhile, I’m wrapping up bangers I opened up 5 years ago.  Double digit MGP is properly rated as very excellent and I enjoyed this one from start to finish.  

IMG_0843.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1