Bourbon

Jimbaround

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Findings from the back of a shelf.
Wish this was still around.
28ca5f1d3eb06e426216c92c90f434f3.jpg

Probably the most dramatic “opening up” I’ve experienced. I disliked the first couple pours. Buried it in a cabinet for a few years, found it, and really enjoyed the rest of the bottle. 

Agreed, I wish they’d bring it back. 

Also, RIP Bourye and Son of Bourye. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Txslnghrns said:

cacdea2e825d6c3f51d683e87d00edf8.png
What should I choose? Blantons straight from the barrel is intriguing. I have a bottle of Stagg Jr but would like a backup. And I’ve never had the Hancocks.

Stagg Jr and SFTB are the best value vs secondary, but that kosher rye is such a banger.  Hard pass on the Elijah tossed ass.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

Stagg Jr and SFTB are the best value vs secondary, but that kosher rye is such a banger.  Hard pass on the Elijah tossed ass.  

sftb would be my pick.  its the rarest of those listed. coincidentally, its the only one i dont currently have on my shelf.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

cacdea2e825d6c3f51d683e87d00edf8.png
What should I choose? Blantons straight from the barrel is intriguing. I have a bottle of Stagg Jr but would like a backup. And I’ve never had the Hancocks.

How many can you buy?

How many can you buy?

You only get to pick one bottle. I do, however, go in on occasion after the draw is over and ask if everything got picked. Sometimes all the bottles haven’t been taken for whatever reason. The owner from time to time will tell me what’s left over and if he’s willing I’ll ask him if I can purchase any of the scraps. I’ve gotten a few ER and ECBP bottles that way. Nothing too hard to find but it keeps me in his good graces knowing that I will purchase from him. I can’t make it in to pick up my bottle today but tomorrow I will run up there and pick up the SFTB I chose with my pick.

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Kentucky Owl Confiscated for $60 -- yay or nay?

(From what I'm reading online, it seems like $60 is about what it's really worth to most folks.)

It justifiably has a horrible reputation due to the original MSRP around $130 and lack of transparency. No age statement and nothing concrete on where it was sourced. 

But it’s a terrific bottle. I’d be all over it at a 50%+ discount. 

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bulleitt 12 Rye remains a banger for 50 bucks. I’m glad they brought it back. 

Yes it’s MGP rye, but the age and proof are working for me. 

Dabbling in Ryes more. Mitchers was solid. Rare breed was good too. Will have to try this one next. 

This needs a splash of water, imo
PXL_20240410_234925540.thumb.jpg.6966d204b39806a73755e2b7bd5e7d43.jpg

I was… unimpressed. Just straight ethanol with a honey accent. No, gracias.

Meanwhile, I caught this in the wild last week. At $325 a pour I passed (lolz) but it was cool to see all the same. They had an Extra Rare as well for $800 a pour…

6edb98c23b0e261ba88499976f47baa3.jpg
6bf1462719d07a59b1c73c1fbbb89d2b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I was… unimpressed. Just straight ethanol with a honey accent. No, gracias.

Meanwhile, I caught this in the wild last week. At $325 a pour I passed (lolz) but it was cool to see all the same. They had an Extra Rare as well for $800 a pour…

6edb98c23b0e261ba88499976f47baa3.jpg
6bf1462719d07a59b1c73c1fbbb89d2b.jpg

Unimpressed is the correct sentiment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Good call passing on the Daniel Weller.  anyone that has actually tasted it said its a big fucking pile of meh.

I love regular Weller, Weller 12 is probably my all time favorite, and William Larue Weller is the epitome of what the BTAC should be. 
Everything else is a pile of meh. Antique is just 107, Single Barrel (as SBs almost always are) is a marketing gimmick, CYPB is basically drinkable fan fiction, and Daniel Weller is a packaging concept to montetize an ag trade. 

I get that distiller/bottlers are mostly in the bullshit business, and BT plays the game better than anybody. I don't have a problem with gimmicks; I deeply respect the way they work an angle. It's astounding how far bourbon has come. There are very few truly bad bourbons on the market anymore and despite the huge proliferation of manufactured scarcity the explosion of "high end" bourbons mostly manage to be both pretty good and distinct from one another. 
My issue is that the flagship products in the Weller line are in fact truly great legacy bourbons, and I think it does a disservice to their brand to lend it to such mediocre products. Even though the drinking public doesn't seem to care, CYPB, Single Barrel, and Daniel Weller should be better whiskey. It's really that simple. 

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I love regular Weller, Weller 12 is probably my all time favorite, and William Larue Weller is the epitome of what the BTAC should be. 
Everything else is a pile of meh. Antique is just 107, Single Barrel (as SBs almost always are) is a marketing gimmick, CYPB is basically drinkable fan fiction, and Daniel Weller is a packaging concept to montetize an ag trade. 

I get that distiller/bottlers are mostly in the bullshit business, and BT plays the game better than anybody. I don't have a problem with gimmicks; I deeply respect the way they work an angle. It's astounding how far bourbon has come. There are very few truly bad bourbons on the market anymore and despite the huge proliferation of manufactured scarcity the explosion of "high end" bourbons mostly manage to be both pretty good and distinct from one another. 
My issue is that the flagship products in the Weller line are in fact truly great legacy bourbons, and I think it does a disservice to their brand to lend it to such mediocre products. Even though the drinking public doesn't seem to care, CYPB, Single Barrel, and Daniel Weller should be better whiskey. It's really that simple. 

I agree 100% with everything you said except Antique being meh.
Give me 107 over W12 all day.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I agree 100% with everything you said except Antique being meh.
Give me 107 over W12 all day.  

To me it’s a very good mixer and a venerable legacy bourbon . It probably shouldn’t have been lumped in with the others, because they’re incredibly mid, borderline crap.

My point was that they just repositioned an old standby as if it was some kind of reissue. It’s hard to point to a worst offender in the “most cynical whiskey expressions” category, but BT makes a strong case with what they’ve done with Weller.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

To me it’s a very good mixer and a venerable legacy bourbon . It probably shouldn’t have been lumped in with the others, because they’re incredibly mid, borderline crap.
My point was that they just repositioned an old standby as if it was some kind of reissue. It’s hard to point to a worst offender in the “most cynical whiskey expressions” category, but BT makes a strong case with what they’ve done with Weller.

Appreciate your thoughts but you failed to mention the Full Proof offering. Where do you land on that one? Pile of meh?

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

Appreciate your thoughts but you failed to mention the Full Proof offering. Where do you land on that one? Pile of meh?

Know what the difference is between the Antique and Full Proof?
7 proof points.  Full proof is 114 proof.  Same mashbill, same age, same rickhouse as the 107.   That's it.  Our club won a Full proof single barrel pick last year and after picking it, asked BT if we could get it as a 107 instead so we could get more bottles.  No problem.  they just proofed it down and non chill filtered it.  And it was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

I’m, just a tick above but really my question is why? Diminishing returns are at work here and like anything there’s a sweet spot on both ends.
They are already cutting it to get back to 114 post barrel, and I think it’s better cut to 107 and even better than that at 90. 

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Know what the difference is between the Antique and Full Proof?
7 proof points.  Full proof is 114 proof.  Same mashbill, same age, same rickhouse as the 107.   That's it.  Our club won a Full proof single barrel pick last year and after picking it, asked BT if we could get it as a 107 instead so we could get more bottles.  No problem.  they just proofed it down and non chill filtered it.  And it was awesome. 

Exactly. EXACTLY.

40 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Snagged this yesterday, going to crack it open tonight. Anyone had it before? 

IMG_2468.jpeg

Yes, it's generally great.  Will remind you of a good pre-2019 Blantons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1