Story without a Happy Ending

Dr. Teeth

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

So can you point to some of these clear, prominent example of anti-Asian rhetoric again? 

Yes we know about DT's "Wuhan Flu" cannon, when he's not pointing it at Mexicans, Muslims, NBC, Liz W, former-staffers, and anybody else that strikes his fancy.

And the internet has seen the disturbing recent videos of random old Asian people being shoved by folks.

But where is the anti-Asian rhetoric ?

I mean....you have Google, right?  Asian people reporting all kinds of shit, and noting that it has increased significantly since the start of the pandemic in particular.  It's all out there, spend a few minutes.  Hell, the news anchor here in Austin just last night recounted recent slurs that have been slung her way.  

No, there's not an official, vetted scorecard, compiled by the Global Bureau Concerning People Who Say Racist Shit, audited by the independent accounting firm of Coopers and Lybrand.  There's just an observed increase in both rhetoric and attacks.  Noticed most acutely by -- you guessed, it, Asian people.  Unless they're lying to us, of course.  Those shifty bastards.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nobody wants it to be racially driven. Most of us just want white people to stop shooting up asian massage parlors full of Asians, shooting up grocery stores in El Paso full of Hispanics, and storming the US Capitol trying to kill the VP and members of Congress because they thought the election was stolen making America look like a bunch of idiots. 

Sorry if that bothers you. Actually, no I’m not. 

Voted in 5 elections and not cast a single vote for R candidate so sorry for busting your partisan presumption. 

I don't want any people of any color to shoot up any business (except maybe its a BoFA).  I'm just miffed why people suppress their common sense, love to paint narratives on every event, and can't stop sandboxing everything by political affiliation. 

The fact that people like this (do you see yourself in this description) gets a chance to vote ... THAT'S the only part that slightly bothers me.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I have no idea. But I bet you do. 

I guess let me know when a large mob of black people or Asian people storm the Michigan Capitol and US capitol killing police officers and hunting for the VP. 

They do not. 

Don't move the goalposts. Murder and crime are terrible. Doesn't matter which race is doing it to the other. I can't think of any reason to seek out racial angles to stories like this except bullshit political hackery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BradInATX said:

I like how 52-80 asked for proof that anti-Asian racism was on the rise, Brisket posted an article with very clear data showing that it was, and 52-80 responded by asking for proof that anti-Asian racism was on the rise.

That's some big brain shit.

Well look at the big brain on Brad! That’s right. The metric system. You one smart motherfucker! 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I like how 52-80 asked for proof that anti-Asian racism was on the rise, Brisket posted an article with very clear data showing that it was, and 52-80 responded by asking for proof that anti-Asian racism was on the rise.

That's some big brain shit.

I like how you have the highest post count in this thread but lament people who "spend hours posting novels". 

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Voted in 5 elections and not cast a single vote for R candidate so sorry for busting your partisan presumption. 

I don't want any people of any color to shoot up any business (except maybe its a BoFA).  I'm just miffed why people suppress their common sense, love to paint narratives on every event, and can't stop sandboxing everything by political affiliation. 

The fact that people like this (do you see yourself in this description) gets a chance to vote ... THAT'S the only part that slightly bothers me.

So are you saying you only want people who agree with you to have the ability to vote? Seems kinda fascist. 

7 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

They do not. 

Don't move the goalposts. Murder and crime are terrible. Doesn't matter which race is doing it to the other. I can't think of any reason to seek out racial angles to stories like this except bullshit political hackery. 

Look a 31 post poster all over the DT and CR and the Eyes of Texas thread. This is certainly a totally cool and totally legit poster and not a sock.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

So are you saying you only want people who agree with you to have the ability to vote? Seems kinda fascist. 

If your interpretation of that posts demonstrates your total cognition, I definitely don't want *you* to have a vote. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Look a 31 post poster all over the DT and CR and the Eyes of Texas thread. This is certainly a totally cool and totally legit poster and not a sock.

I have interpreted your post and based on your level of cognition you are no longer allowed to vote. 

Sorry bout that but we must keep voting standards very very high. 

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You don't know nearly as much as it appears you think you do. 

I've never posted in CR. That place is insane. 

Edited by Ridingtosunset
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....you have Google, right?  Asian people reporting all kinds of shit, and noting that it has increased significantly since the start of the pandemic in particular.  It's all out there, spend a few minutes.  Hell, the news anchor here in Austin just last night recounted recent slurs that have been slung her way.  

No, there's not an official, vetted scorecard, compiled by the Global Bureau Concerning People Who Say Racist Shit, audited by the independent accounting firm of Coopers and Lybrand.  There's just an observed increase in both rhetoric and attacks.  Noticed most acutely by -- you guessed, it, Asian people.  Unless they're lying to us, of course.  Those shifty bastards.

Again, give us one example of an anti-Asian rhetoric ?  You know, rhetoric - persuasive, bombastic, often politically-driven.  So anyone writing anything juicy and deftly against Asian people?  Might we find this on The Hill or Drudge report or Tucker Carlson's blog or something like that preaching anti-Asian narratives and galvanizing anti-Asian movements?

Or is the response "just go google" and drop a link to an article with "limited preliminary data" with every single piece of evidence cited below:

1. a tweet from apple ceo tim cook saying "racism is bad", referencing the shoving incident

2. a tweet from andrew yang saying "anti-asian is rising", directly in response to the shoving incident.

3. politician saying his asian family gets harassed.

3a. additional link in article with anti-asian reported crime rising from n=48 (2019) to n=122 (2020), and 5 year trend of +13% in the backdrop of +160% for transgender, +87% for disabled, +25% for gay males, +14% for muslims, +56% for jews, +76% for latinos, and 19% for blacks, and +33% for all hate crimes.

4. hawaii police chief for making insensitive comments like someone has "kung fu haircut"

5. "aapi national" single year report without even making a claim on trend.

arent you a lawyer?  dont yall dig into evidence?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Again, give us one example of an anti-Asian rhetoric ?  You know, rhetoric - persuasive, bombastic, often politically-driven.  So anyone writing anything juicy and deftly against Asian people?  Might we find this on The Hill or Drudge report or Tucker Carlson's blog or something like that preaching anti-Asian narratives and galvanizing anti-Asian movements?

Or is the response "just go google" and drop a link to an article with "limited preliminary data" with every single piece of evidence cited below:

1. a tweet from apple ceo tim cook saying "racism is bad", referencing the shoving incident

2. a tweet from andrew yang saying "anti-asian is rising", directly in response to the shoving incident.

3a. additional link in article with anti-asian reported crime rising from n=48 (2019) to n=122 (2020), and 5 year trend of +13% in the backdrop of +160% for transgender, +87% for disabled, +25% for gay males, +14% for muslims, +56% for jews, +76% for latinos, and 19% for blacks, and +33% for all hate crimes.

4. hawaii police chief for making insensitive comments like someone has "kung fu haircut"

You could have googled the AAPI report in about 1/10th the time it took you to write that post if you were truly interested in learning. But of course we all know that's not why you're here.

Edited by BradInATX

Here's another one that 52-80 could have found if he had spared five seconds to google the issue he's supposedly super interested in asking questions about instead of writing multi-paragraph diatribes defending the honor of a mass murderer.

A recent study from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, found that while overall rates of hate crimes in the country decreased by 7% in 2020, anti-Asian hate crimes surged by 149%.

https://time.com/5947603/how-to-help-fight-anti-asian-violence/

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here you go (and again, I'm not litigating such a case, doing discovery -- I just used google.  Which you can, too).

Anti-Asian bias and attacks have grown exponentially over the past year in conjunction with anti-Chinese rhetoric. This week's deadly shooting in Atlanta, in which six of the eight people killed were of Asian descent, has contributed to fears throughout the Asian-American community.

Trump's use of the phrase in speeches and on Twitter, which critics called racist, preceded a cascade of its use by others online. The mean number of daily users in the #covid19 group rose by 379% after Trump's tweet, compared with an increase of #chinesevirus by 8,351%.

'I'm afraid to leave my house':Asian women are living in fear

"There were a lot of arguments that 'Chinese virus' was a scientific term and was no different than COVID-19. But in fact, you see a large difference,” said Yulin Hswen, a professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California, San Francisco.

She was one of a group of researchers who tracked the number of anti-Asian hashtags that were used together with the neutral hashtag #covid19 compared with #chinesevirus. They found evidence of an association between the latter phrase and anti-Asian language.

The associations show the majority of people associated #chinesevirus with negative statements and meant it to have a stigmatizing effect, Hswen said.

Overall, half of tweets that used #chinesevirus included anti-Asian hashtags while only 20% of those that used #covid19 did, according to research published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health.

The hashtags used in conjunction with #chinesevirus included expletives aimed at China, Chinese people and Asians in general as well as hashtags that advocated killing Chinese people, bombing Chinese cities as well as racist attacks on all things Asian. 

There you go.  Statistical analysis.  Of rhetoric.

Again, just google the shit -- it's not like I'm out taking depositions and issuing subpoenas on this shit.  Come on.

• Hook 'Em 2

I just love the wording on this, from Brisket's link.

THE ANSWER

Yes, preliminary data show that there has been an increase in anti-Asian hate crimes in the past year, despite the fact that hate crimes overall decreased in the last year.

WHAT WE FOUND

The Center for Study of Hate & Extremism published a report documenting changes in hate crime patterns in 2020 in 16 American cities. In those 16 cities, which include most of the United States’ largest cities, anti-Asian hate crimes rose by 149% in 2020 while overall hate crimes dropped by seven percent.

Here are these 16 cities, and the total number of anti-Asian hate crime going from 2019 to 2020:

San Diego:  0 --> 1

Cincinatti:  0 --> 1

Chicago:  2 --> 2

Phoenix:  2 --> 3

Denver:  0 --> 3

our dear Houston:  0 --> 3

Washington DC:  6 --> 3  (they must've missed the memo on hosting a hate parade)

etc etc

BreadinATX vouched for these numbers.  And he's good with numbers, because he's the 3rd most senior junior-auditor at Ernst and Young. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

image.thumb.png.389f72b468c6fc5eb6ee86e1818131bc.png

We're gonna need to wage a campaign to #CANCELCHITOWN and #CANCELDC.  Fuck them for being tolerant. 

So let's see here.  In San Francisco, Anti-Asian hate crimes went from less than 10 percent of all hate crimes to nearly 15 percent of hate crimes.  In NYC, it went from less than 1 percent to over 10 percent.  Those seem like significant increases, regardless of the total number of incidents.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Is this not the DT thread?  Y'all have no self control.

The DT bollocks started well before I ever opened this thread.  And I wont resist having 1 piece of fun.

In earnest though, I agree with you the numbers in NYC Boston and LA are concerning.  (The rest of the table is junk).  Question to you is what is the takeaway? What should be investigated?  What is the hypothesis?  Or we take Briskets suggestion that there is anti Asian rhetoric bug its conveniently localized to 2 cities on the East Coast + LA?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad had an unpleasant encounter in Austin just a couple of weeks ago. Anecdotal, but it definitely feels like a rising issue. 

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The DT bollocks started well before I ever opened this thread.  And I wont resist having 1 piece of fun.

Fun for you isn't necessarily fun for everyone else.  

In earnest though, I agree with you the numbers in NYC Boston and LA are concerning.  (The rest of the table is junk).  Question to you is what is the takeaway? What should be investigated?  What is the hypothesis?  Or we take Briskets suggestion that there is anti Asian rhetoric bug its conveniently localized to 2 cities on the East Coast + LA?

Not sure what the takeaway is other than we have a disturbing trend of shitty treatment of people who look, talk, or pray differently than we do.

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

For me, I think we should listen to Asian people, including people right here in River City, who are reporting increased hateful rhetoric and such (which doesn't get reported -- when a dude calls you a "stupid slope" at the grocery store, you don't call the cops and make sure a statistical analysis is done).

I can't see how any of this shocking.  We've decided to amp up our rhetoric against China as an enemy, we use rhetoric that blames China for a global pandemic, and we do all of that to an audience who ain't exactly sophisticated at separating governments from people, or even discerning different ethnicities....

0*sPPvoBv5Sj0zQGTF.jpg

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Where on earth did he suggest that? Do you even understand what you're looking at in that study (really a summary of an upcoming study)? If it only looks at 16 cities and pretty much finds a rise in all of them, that is what one might call a pattern or trend. It certainly doesn't mean that in the thousands of other cities not studied that the trend does not exist. 

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Do you even understand what you're looking at in that study (really a summary of an upcoming study)? If it only looks at 16 cities and pretty much finds a rise in all of them, that is what one might call a pattern or trend. It certainly doesn't mean that in the thousands of other cities not studied that the trend does not exist. 

I don't think you yourself even looked at those 16 cities.  And if you want to conclude there's "pretty much ... a rise in all of them... what one might call a pattern", evidenced by cities with population of 1M+ displaying counts going from 0 to 1, and 2 to 3....i just hope you don't analyze trends for a living.  (And pity on Brad's employer).

Another story that's only just now getting picked up by english outlets but was initially reported on by a spanish outlet. Cops are fucking out of control monsters.

After Spa Attacks, Officers Handcuffed Victim’s Anguished Husband for Four Hours

ACWORTH, Ga. — Mario González heard the gunfire from inside Young’s Asian Massage and immediately worried about his wife, who was in another room. But before he could check on her, he said, law enforcement officials handcuffed and detained him for about four hours while they worked to determine the identity of the gunman.

During that time, officers told him: His wife, Delaina Ashley Yaun, 33, had been killed.

Mr. González described the March 16 shooting and the confused hours that followed in a video interview and news story published by the Spanish-language news site Mundo Hispánico. He expressed his frustration with the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office for detaining him, suggesting that he might have been treated poorly because he is Latino, and shared his anguish over the loss of his wife.

“They took away the most precious thing that I have in my life,” Mr. González said of the gunman, before stopping himself and correcting tenses. “That I had.”

The attack at Young’s Asian Massage was part of a shooting spree at three spas in and around Atlanta. Ms. Yaun was among eight people killed by a gunman who intentionally targeted employees at those businesses, law enforcement officials said.

Tuesday had been a date night for Mr. González and Ms. Yaun, and the couple, who married last spring, went after work to Young’s Asian Massage, in Acworth, an Atlanta suburb. They arrived shortly before the shooting started, Mr. González said in the video interview, and they were ushered into separate rooms for their massages.

The authorities said that Robert Aaron Long, 21, began his rampage shortly before 5 p.m. on Tuesday at Young’s, which is wedged in a small shopping center between a boutique and hair salon.

Mr. González told Mundo Hispánico that he heard the gunshots but that he was too afraid to open the door to see what was happening. He feared the bullets were flying into the room where his wife was taken.

Once Cherokee County sheriff’s deputies arrived, he was detained and held for about four hours, Mr. González said, according to Mundo Hispánico.

He said he did not see his wife as he was led out of the spa, and officers did not let him get close to her. Eventually, he said, officers told him that his wife had been killed.

“And they knew that I was the husband,” Mr. González said of the authorities. He held a photograph of himself with his wife as he spoke. “They gave me the news that she was dead.”

He questioned why it took officials so long to tell him that his wife had died, and wondered why they had detained him in the first place.

“Maybe because I’m Mexican, I don’t know,” he said. “Because the truth is, they treated me badly.” He showed the camera the marks left on his arm from the handcuffs placed on him by officers.

So to recap:

white shooter == "just a bad day"

hispanic/brown victim whose wife was just murdered == handcuffed, detained for 4 hours, and treated like a criminal until they captured the shooter

Edited by Captainant

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I don't think you yourself even looked at those 16 cities.  And if you want to conclude there's "pretty much ... a rise in all of them... what one might call a pattern", evidenced by cities with population of 1M+ displaying counts going from 0 to 1, and 2 to 3....i just hope you don't analyze trends for a living.  (And pity on Brad's employer).

I agree the absolute numbers in some of those cities are relatively small, but in comparison to the total number of hate crimes reported the increases appear to be significant. Obviously this is just a small sampling of data used in a study, and it doesn't provide the analysis it used so it is difficult to judge their conclusions. But, on its face the conclusion that these increases are statistically significant doesn't seem unreasonable. I suppose my question would be how much variability do we see in the data year-to-year? If each of those cities consistently reports 0 Asian hate crimes, then absolutely an increase of just 1-3 in that set represents a disturbing trend. If you see a lot of variability year-to-year, then the 2020 may very well be noise, but again, noise with a consistent movement in one direction (i.e., a potential signal requiring more research). If you can't see that, then I really hope you don't analyze data for a living. 

Edited by Dahobbs

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Not sure what the takeaway is other than we have a disturbing trend of shitty treatment of people who look, talk, or pray differently than we do.

That's a completely reasonable conclusion and one I agree with.

What I don't agree with is Brisket's suggestion of a newly sprouted pandemic of Asian-specific hate.  Not in the context of thousands of total annual hate crimes compiled by the FBI, the higher long term growth of anti-black/latino/semitic/lgbt incidences, and not - specifically relating to this thread - evidenced because some whackfuck shot up 3 massage parlors.

Brisket is a well meaning but well known purveyor of doom and gloom and hysteria.  And I dont know if its as tiring for him to peddle that as it is for everyone else to read it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

👍

I refuse to discuss politics with a mob of emotional, irrational people. If you can't read the CR and see how unhinged it is, that's on you. I'll save my discussions for people willing to engage in thoughtful debate and be open to opinions other than their own. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I agree the absolute numbers in some of those cities are relatively small, but in comparison to the total number of hate crimes reported the increases appear to be significant. Obviously this is just a small sampling of data used in a study, and it doesn't provide the analysis it used so it is difficult to judge their conclusions. But, on its face the conclusion that these increases are statistically significant doesn't seem unreasonable. I suppose my question would be how much variability do we see in the data year-to-year? If each of those cities consistently reports 0 Asian hate crimes, then absolutely an increase of just 1-3 in that set represents a disturbing trend. If you see a lot of variability year-to-year, then the 2020 may very well be noise, but again, noise with a consistent movement in one direction (i.e., a potential signal requiring more research). If you can't see that, then I really hope you don't analyze data for a living. 

And if in those exact same places next year a person chooses not to report their incident, you would say 5 cities significant reduced Asian hate crime by >33% and 2 cities eradicated it completely?

Yes you are right, you want to see a bigger picture annual variability, and because you accused me of perhaps not looking at the CSUB doc, ill suggest you look at page 2 on it.  And someone can get dirty overlaying it with the lines for other groups like blacks  trans muslims and even whites (apparently their long term hate-recipient rate has gone up too).  Then we can meaningfully talk about how much of this there is of all of this stuff in this country. 

Q:  did Trump popularize his wuhan invective in 2015?

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.11.11 PM.png

And if in those exact same places next year a person chooses not to report their incident, you would say 5 cities significant reduced Asian hate crime by >33% and 2 cities eradicated it completely?

Yes you are right, you want to see a bigger picture annual variability, and because you accused me of perhaps not looking at the CSUB doc, ill suggest you look at page 2 on it.  And someone can get dirty overlaying it with the lines for other groups like blacks  trans muslims and even whites (apparently their long term hate-recipient rate has gone up too).  Then we can meaningfully talk about how much of this there is of all of this stuff in this country. 

um, trump absolutely went hard in the paint on anti-china rhetoric, starting in 2015. you think that rise is a coincidence? also, interesting that graph ends in 2019, before "kung flu," "china virus" and "china flu" became a thing.

shit, just pop into our very own covid thread on the daily texan anywhere in the middle from last year, and you'll find rhetoric dangerously close to being anti-china generally. 

i mean, i'm honestly not sure why you are arguing this very obvious point. and i find it funny that other posters are so keen on it not being correlated with trump. i mean, it's not even political to say out loud that trump ramped up anti-china rhetoric, before covid, and then after covid he turnt it up to 11. and, as a result, people hating on asians has gone up as well. it's obvious as fuck. why are you even arguing it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This idea that we should pretend race has nothing to do with what are very clearly racially motivated crimes is so fucking weird. Racism still exists even if some idiots pretend it doesn't.

Racism/nativism/xx'ism is extremely nuanced.  It definitely exists and will forever continue to exists.  But its also weird to want to paint every single thing with that brush... because, what, you think you will bring light to it and make it go away?

"And if in those exact same places next year a person chooses not to report their incident, you would say 5 cities significant reduced Asian hate crime by >33% and 2 cities eradicated it completely?"

Well, if it was only 1 person it would affect only 1 city. The multicity data would show Asian hate crimes holding steady. If every single city on the list saw a similar, then yes, it would potentially suggest an improvement (depending on the outcome of our multi-year variability discussion earlier). But I'd need more details on the statistical analysis they did tell you whether I thought the original conclusions were valid. Right now all I can say is that based on what I see, I the top line conclusion presented in the summary teaser at least seems plausible. 

As to the second part of your post, I didn't accuse you of not looking at the document. I said you were misinterpreting it by suggesting the study showed the increases occurred only in those select cities. And I did see that chart. It shows an increase since 2015 (and importantly doesn't have 2020 data). That seems entirely consistent with the study. And, if the ~50% increase is happening nationwide,  we'd expect to see a big increase in 2020, almost reaching 1998 levels. That would be pretty dang significant and sad. 

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Racism/nativism/xx'ism is extremely nuanced.  It definitely exists and will forever continue to exists.  But its also weird to want to paint every single thing with that brush... because, what, you think you will bring light to it and make it go away?

Or at least reduce it, yes. That's the very pattern we've seen for the last 60 years. That's a weird thing to argue about. 

And, I agree not everything is racism. I'm just not ready to say that an event where a white guy went driving around Atlanta to find specific Asian businesses and shoot them up, one after another, and then started to drive to Florida to do the same, is 100% not racially related. That seems very fucking premature at this juncture. 

34 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep, right wing Christians are fucking worthless assholes who are petrified of all that is not exactly like them.  That's a pretty big fucking problem. 

I love how if you put any other race or religion in that sentence you'd be negged off the board.  Or fired from your job.  Or doxxed.  But not with that combo.  That combo is the only one that isn't racist.  Weird. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

um, trump absolutely went hard in the paint on anti-china rhetoric, starting in 2015. you think that rise is a coincidence? also, interesting that graph ends in 2019, before "kung flu," "china virus" and "china flu" became a thing.

shit, just pop into our very own covid thread on the daily texan anywhere in the middle from last year, and you'll find rhetoric dangerously close to being anti-china generally. 

i mean, i'm honestly not sure why you are arguing this very obvious point. and i find it funny that other posters are so keen on it not being correlated with trump. i mean, it's not even political to say out loud that trump ramped up anti-china rhetoric, before covid, and then after covid he turnt it up to 11. and, as a result, people hating on asians has gone up as well. it's obvious as fuck. why are you even arguing it?

you suggest its all trump hence the 2015 inflection.  okay, we put in context, and the next page from where that picture comes from says hate crime in all groups increased over roughly that same timeline (2014->2019), outnumbering and outpacing anti-asian hate very significantly. 

so are we still gonna make this an asian-specific phenomenon?

btw, trump is no longer in office and they even took away his twitter.  the boogieman is pretty much dead

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I love you if you put any other race or religion in that sentence you'd be negged off the board.  Or fired from your job.  Or doxxed.  But not with that combo.  That combo is the only one that isn't racist.  Weird. 

Well to be fair, the right wing Christian death count in the last 100 years is much more robust than most other faiths.  It's like the Hall of Fame...sure you gotta look at the breadth of a career but your "hot streak" there at your peak really counts for something. 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well to be fair, the right wing Christian death count in the last 100 years is much more robust than most other faiths.  It's like the Hall of Fame...sure you gotta look at the breadth of a career but your "hot streak" there at your peak really counts for something. 

I, genetically, fall into one of those categories.  Not so much on the other, the one that you can choose. 

Point remains.  Sticking with religion, throw brown and Muslim in that sentence and see how it goes. 

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you suggest its all trump hence the 2015 inflection.  okay, we put in context, and the next page from where that picture comes from says hate crime in all groups increased over roughly that same timeline (2014->2019), outnumbering and outpacing anti-asian hate very significantly. 

so are we still gonna make this an asian-specific phenomenon?

btw, trump is no longer in office and they even took away his twitter.  the boogieman is pretty much dead

well, it does not help that a big part of trump's base is comprised of (checks notes) white nationalist racists. he has empowered and motivated them like no other president in the modern age.

just because anti-asian hate crimes have been on the rise doesn't mean other races haven't been negatively affected.

this is such a strange position for you to try and defend. why are you trying to hand wave away racism? it's weird.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I love how if you put any other race or religion in that sentence you'd be negged off the board.  Or fired from your job.  Or doxxed.  But not with that combo.  That combo is the only one that isn't racist.  Weird. 

It isn't weird that the oppressive majority group gets spoken about differently than an oppressed minority group. In fact, I think it's really damned weird that you think it's weird.