Story without a Happy Ending

Dr. Teeth

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Or at least reduce it, yes. That's the very pattern we've seen for the last 60 years. That's a weird thing to argue about. 

And, I agree not everything is racism. I'm just not ready to say that an event where a white guy went driving around Atlanta to find specific Asian businesses and shoot them up, one after another, and then started to drive to Florida to do the same, is 100% not racially related. That seems very fucking premature at this juncture. 

Thank you -- non sarcastically -- to you for steering this ship back to the very beginning.

You say he drove around to find "specific Asian businesses" (the distance of Bee Cave to Bergstrom airport) and then had to head to Florida to do the same..... because he there is not another Asian-owned parlor in all of Atlanta?  or there is not another Asian business or Asian concentration in all of that metroplex?  

Occam's razor says his  weirdo massage-handjob tendency , and the marbles in his brains are fighting for #1 and #2 in the motivation list. 

Asian people specifically being a target, might rank #5 or #6.  That's where I'll stake my opinion.

The rest of this thread are the predictable political jockeys trying to claim extra dirt in their political sandbox.  They're probably just as weird as this shooter dude.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, it does not help that a big part of trump's base is comprised of (checks notes) white nationalist racists. he has empowered and motivated them like no other president in the modern age.

just because anti-asian hate crimes have been on the rise doesn't mean other races haven't been negatively affected.

this is such a strange position for you to try and defend. why are you trying to hand wave away racism? it's weird.

Wrong conclusion.  I'm hand-waving this overprescribed kneejerk notion that everything needs to be attributed to racism/thisism/thatism, almost always politically-motivated to fit a narrative (i.e. you must be xxx if you dont believe in yyy).  Case in point on this website ad infinitum. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I refuse to discuss politics with a mob of emotional, irrational people in CR...I'll save my political discussions for people willing to engage in thoughtful debate and be open to opinions other than their own Daily Texan. 

cool.

oh and there hasn't been a 'thoughtful debate' with folks 'open to the opinion of others' in DT since its inception. if you can't see that, well, that's on you.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Thank you -- non sarcastically -- to you for steering this ship back to the very beginning.

You say he drove around to find "specific Asian businesses" (the distance of Bee Cave to Bergstrom airport) and then had to head to Florida to do the same..... because he there is not another Asian-owned parlor in all of Atlanta?  or there is not another Asian business or Asian concentration in all of that metroplex?  

Occam's razor says his  weirdo massage-handjob tendency , and the marbles in his brains are fighting for #1 and #2 in the motivation list. 

Asian people specifically being a target, might rank #5 or #6.  That's where I'll stake my opinion.

The rest of this thread are the predictable political jockeys trying to claim extra dirt in their political sandbox.  They're probably just as weird as this shooter dude.

This is a reasonable post. And I agree with your general conclusion that outright racial hatred is probably pretty low on the list here. To the extent race motivated him, I think it is the more subtle over sexualization of Asian women that we've discussed previously. Unless of course the Korean reports about him yelling "kill all Asians" gets verified at some point. Of course, that is also something a crazy person would randomly yell (see events on any public transportation). 

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It isn't weird that the oppressive majority group gets spoken about differently than an oppressed minority group. In fact, I think it's really damned weird that you think it's weird.

We're not talking about spoken about differently.  I can make 150 racist, vile statements out of that same sentence, and only 1 that isn't.  huh.   Majority oppressive group?  That is a racist statement far beyond our borders, even in areas without white Christians.  

1 hour ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I refuse to discuss politics with a mob of emotional, irrational people. If you can't read the CR and see how unhinged it is, that's on you. I'll save my discussions for people willing to engage in thoughtful debate and be open to opinions other than their own. 

Yeah! Take that you Meanies! He’s taking his ball and going home.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Here's another one that 52-80 could have found if he had spared five seconds to google the issue he's supposedly super interested in asking questions about instead of writing multi-paragraph diatribes defending the honor of a mass murderer.

A recent study from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, found that while overall rates of hate crimes in the country decreased by 7% in 2020, anti-Asian hate crimes surged by 149%.

https://time.com/5947603/how-to-help-fight-anti-asian-violence/

The most important thing of all is to own the libs. If it takes defending a mass murderer to own them, well, So be it.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I love how if you put any other race or religion in that sentence you'd be negged off the board.  Or fired from your job.  Or doxxed.  But not with that combo.  That combo is the only one that isn't racist.  Weird. 

Right wing Christians are a race? 

200.gif  

1 hour ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I refuse to discuss politics with a mob of emotional, irrational people. If you can't read the CR and see how unhinged it is, that's on you. I'll save my discussions for people willing to engage in thoughtful debate and be open to opinions other than their own. 

Nearly every time we venture into DT someone whines about it and all of our posts get moved to CR. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

We're not talking about spoken about differently.  I can make 150 racist, vile statements out of that same sentence, and only 1 that isn't.  huh.   Majority oppressive group?  That is a racist statement far beyond our borders, even in areas without white Christians.  

Just admit you’re pissed you can’t say nigger in public anymore without potential repercussions and move on. I’ve met hundreds of guys like you since I look like I’m a safe guy to say that to.

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So it looks like a white Colorado shooter is probably shooting some other white people. So I guess no need to debate that one. 

No...early reports are that a "long gun" was used so the message for this one will be back to gun control.  Nobody cares about same race shootings, especially when they are done with a pistol.  It's tough to stir up outrage as if the fact that several people were shot and killed isn't outrageous enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just admit you’re pissed you can’t say nigger in public anymore without potential repercussions and move on. I’ve met hundreds of guys like you since I look like I’m a safe guy to say that to.

Unlike your generation, it’s never been acceptable in mine.  Glad you feel comfortable enough about typing it out. But it’s ok when to throw it out when insulting random internet people. Nothing to see there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I love how if you put any other race or religion in that sentence you'd be negged off the board.  Or fired from your job.  Or doxxed.  But not with that combo.  That combo is the only one that isn't racist.  Weird. 

Funny how you just assumed here he meant “white” when de didn’t even mention that. And of course assumed you were being “cancelled.” Pretty telling. 

41 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Funny how you just assumed here he meant “white” when de didn’t even mention that. And of course assumed you were being “cancelled.” Pretty telling. 

Funny how you thought it’s cool to just drop the n bomb out there.  Extremely telling. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Funny how you thought it’s cool to just drop the n bomb out there.  Extremely telling. 

Yeah right. Sorry it offended your white nationalist trump supporting sensitive ears to hear what you and your buddies say behind closed doors. Hope you can somehow sleep tonight. 

But of course here on the net you are a simple innocent sheep. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah right. Sorry it offended your white nationalist trump supporting sensitive ears to hear what you and your buddies say behind closed doors. Hope you can somehow sleep tonight. 

But of course here on the net you are a simple innocent sheep. 

That's good.  Call me whatever you want.  You're still going to be "hard r jimmyjames" from here on out.   

I guess my biggest surprise was how casual that was.  For an attorney, right?  Someone who makes their living parsing words.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That's good.  Call me whatever you want.  You're still going to be "hard r jimmyjames" from here on out.   

I guess my biggest surprise was how casual that was.  For an attorney, right?  Someone who makes their living parsing words.  

You can do whatever you think you are big enough to do. 

55 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't run into this much in my life. In fact I never do. It's not something top of mind. I wonder why you feel like you need to be so defensive about racism all the time.

You don’t “run into this much”..... except spending each of the 7 pages rubbing your 2 brain cells together trying to hint at and conjure up other peoples’ ulterior motives. 

Like in that last sentence. 

Stop being a weasel, put on your big boy pants, and tell people explicitly what you think might make them “feel like [they] need to be” so and so.

I’ll tell you plainly what I think about you. You’re a sad weasel, who needs to validated on your miserable world view of perpetual injustices. So you get off on fantasizing that everyone who doesn’t share this view as some political enemy. 

Who knows, you might even go on your own shooting spree one day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You don’t “run into this much”..... except spending each of the 7 pages rubbing your 2 brain cells together trying to hint at and conjure up other peoples’ ulterior motives. 

Like in that last sentence. 

Stop being a weasel, put on your big boy pants, and tell people explicitly what you think might make them “feel like [they] need to be” so and so.

I’ll tell you plainly what I think about you. You’re a sad weasel, who needs to validated on your miserable world view of perpetual injustices. So you get off on fantasizing that everyone who doesn’t share this view as some political enemy. 

Who knows, you might even go on your own shooting spree one day. 

Yep I'm definitely the one acting unstable here.

16 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

you'll find rhetoric dangerously close to being anti-china generally. 

"Fuck the CCP" does not equal racism. I'm one of a handful of posters on this board who has spent significant time in China. The Chinese, like most people on the planet, are awesome. Their government sucks ass. If you can't separate our anger over the way their government fucked the world over by exposing and then covering up a massive catastrophe without calling it racism, then there's no reasoning with you.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

"Fuck the CCP" does not equal racism. I'm one of a handful of posters on this board who has spent significant time in China. The Chinese, like most people on the planet, are awesome. Their government sucks ass. If you can't separate our anger over the way their government fucked the world over by exposing and then covering up a massive catastrophe without calling it racism, then there's no reasoning with you.

if you decry the innumerable cheap chinese goods spammed on the amazon 3rd party platform, you are a racist.  facts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You may be able to distinguish that... but I’m highly skeptical that most of the people throwing around China virus types could make that distinction. 

• Like 1

Just now, YChang said:

You may be able to distinguish that... but I’m highly skeptical that most of the people throwing around China virus types could make that distinction. 

Perhaps. But I'll bet my life savings that the CCP is utilizing its Twitter Bots to push this narrative. They are playing 3D chess while we are playing checker with our dicks.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Perhaps. But I'll bet my life savings that the CCP is utilizing its Twitter Bots to push this narrative. They are playing 3D chess while we are playing checker with our dicks.

Wait, just to clarify... you’re thinking that social media posts of people saying China virus are bots? Or China has seized on this and amplified it to sow discord here? If it’s the later, I agree along with Russia I’m sure. But I don’t think our adversaries created this narrative. That was homegrown unfortunately.

Edit - didn’t read carefully. Sorry, you said to push this. Agreed. But that there’s such a willing audience for this is what makes me sad/worried/pissed.

Edited by YChang

3 minutes ago, YChang said:

Wait, just to clarify... you’re thinking that social media posts of people saying China virus are bots? Or China has seized on this and amplified it to sow discord here? If it’s the later, I agree along with Russia I’m sure. But I don’t think our adversaries created this narrative. That was homegrown unfortunately.

Edit - didn’t read carefully. Sorry, you said to push this. Agreed. But that there’s such a willing audience for this is what makes me sad/worried/pissed.

Let me clarify. I believe that China uses social media to amplify the narrative that there is a massive increase in "Hate Crimes" against Asians. Not denying that it happens, but the fact that it's HASHTAG EVERYWHERE makes me suspicious. And the fact that the MSM picks up on it concerns me that they are either useful idiots or complicit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Gotta say that I've seen "Fuck China" and "China is asshole" a lot more on this board than "Fuck the CCP." And, while I agree that their one-party "communist" government sucks, there certainly have been a number of posters on Surly who genuinely seem to not make that distinction.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Gotta say that I've seen "Fuck China" and "China is asshole" a lot more on this board than "Fuck the CCP." And, while I agree that their one-party "communist" government sucks, there certainly have been a number of posters on Surly who genuinely seem to not make that distinction.

Definitely. I have a lot of issues with the Chinese government, not the people, and I believe I've even made statements that could be taken nebulously. It's something we can all do better, because "Fuck China" isn't really a morally correct thing to say. Fuck the CCP and their terrible ethics, IP theft, and general shitheadery is a more fair statement.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Gotta say that I've seen "Fuck China" and "China is asshole" a lot more on this board than "Fuck the CCP."

It's implied. I don't think anyone is naive enough on a board full of college graduates to think "Fuck China" means "Fuck all of those people living in Gansu Province"

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's implied. I don't think anyone is naive enough on a board full of college graduates to think "Fuck China" means "Fuck all of those people living in Gansu Province"

For most, I agree, but you've got to admit that it's come close to crossing over the line several times. To the point about the discourse and rhetoric that's been bandied about among the general public, you can't deny that anti-Chinese and broadly anti-Asian sentiment appears to be on the rise as has violence. And if we college graduates can't be more careful with the words we use, some of the mouthbreathers are going to take it the wrong way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Iit was never in reference to the general Chinese people - it's to the government and their actions.

14 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

thankyou.

22 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Let me clarify. I believe that China uses social media to amplify the narrative that there is a massive increase in "Hate Crimes" against Asians. Not denying that it happens, but the fact that it's HASHTAG EVERYWHERE makes me suspicious. And the fact that the MSM picks up on it concerns me that they are either useful idiots or complicit.

Hell, I don't doubt there's an element of that. But between younger generations being more fluent on social platforms to broadcast their views for better/worse... I also think the rise in anti-Asian sentiment is working as a cultural catalyst of sorts for the community in America.

AA for the most part historically have stayed fairly politically inactive on civil right issues or have played more of a support role along with black and brown Americans. And I think some had enough and don't want to stay quiet any longer. So fwiw, just because you haven't heard this level of discontent from the AA community in the past doesn't mean it's predominately driven by China. Of course, that's just my two cents!

• Hook 'Em 1

I was saying "Fuck the CCP" way back when it was "Fuck the CCCP"  

This site is way more educated and culturally versed and well traveled as compared to the rest of Texas.  But even many of our posters don't make the distinction between the Chinese party, their nation, their people, the sub-groups of their population, and the significance of the ties to the Han Chinese held by Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and other disputed lands like Tibet and the unique relationship with Singapore.  To many, it's just a big country that's all the same, that puts viruses out into the world.  So I'm guessing far, far more Texans in general make the same generalized claims.  

The average Texan knows there's something going on between China and Taiwan, but they're not sure what.  And if asked what they know of "Taipei", they would respond, "Ah yes, the 1986 hit film starring the great Bryan Brown and the incomparable Ms. Kyra Sedgwick"  

Edited by Lobo

34 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Because we love Hong Kongians(?) But hate the Chinese people. It's the same Taiwan. We just hate the Chinese race, but the other races are cool. 

I say this with scientific curiosity... but man Workswith, It would be so fascinating to see you hooked up to an imaging device to see what part of your brain fires up when you posts on Surly.

Your responses are delightful mix of WTF, that's what you're taking from the conversation with a healthy dose of... but why?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

For most, I agree, but you've got to admit that it's come close to crossing over the line several times. To the point about the discourse and rhetoric that's been bandied about among the general public, you can't deny that anti-Chinese and broadly anti-Asian sentiment appears to be on the rise as has violence. And if we college graduates can't be more careful with the words we use, some of the mouthbreathers are going to take it the wrong way.  

So if we say "Fuck OSU" are we being racist against the POC / Chinese people who attended OSU? 

3 minutes ago, YChang said:

I say this with scientific curiosity... but man Workswith, It would be so fascinating to see you hooked up to an imaging device to see what part of your brain fires up when you posts on Surly.

Your responses are delightful mix of WTF, that's what you're taking from the conversation with a healthy dose of... but why?

I wonder if I took my adhd pills again, how my posts would look like.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

So if we say "Fuck OSU" are we being racist against the POC / Chinese people who attended OSU? 

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Because we love Hong Kongians(?) But hate the Chinese people. It's the same Taiwan. We just hate the Chinese race, but the other races are cool. 

Garbled language and thinking was my point. There are those who lack the ability to use both.