The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Anyone hunt with a 300 Blackout? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have for years.  I've killed deer & hogs with both supers and subs and have killed a big Auodad with supers.

Not a huge fan of shooting deer with subs but have no issue shooting hogs with them.

My truck gun is a Miltac MTF-15 in .300blk with a 7" barrel.  I topped it with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 and I shoot Jamison  150gr SP SBT.

It has its limitations - as long as you recognize that, its fine.  Makes a great round for kids or ladies - no recoil and plenty of punch at 150 yards on in.

Kind of like a more versatile 30-30 I guess.

Ooooh - Enfield .303 ?  standard as built or sporterized?  

I'd pick up some 125gr and 150gr hunting loads and see which ones your .300blk like best.

Great short range caliber and very flexible.  You can pick up cheap fmjs for range work and good quality hunting rounds when you need them.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:49 PM, pepper brooks said:

Anyone got a good recommendation on a shot gun (probably 20 gauge) for a soon to be 11 year old?  Need something he can shoot now, but also something he won't outgrow in a year.  

if you are in the Austin area:

I've got a used youth Rem 870 wood stock in 20 gauge. $225 and proven time and time again to scare the piss out of the dove. And we can work out a favorable deal on a shitload of 20ga ammo in #6 and #7.5

Or a brand new in box never fired Rem 870 black synthetic 12 gauge 28" barrel, he'll grow into it faster than you think. $275

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I've got a used youth Rem 870 wood stock in 20 gauge. $225 and proven time and time again to scare the piss out of the dove. And we can work out a favorable deal on a shitload of 20ga ammo in #6 and #7.5

Or a brand new in box never fired Rem 870 black synthetic 12 gauge 28" barrel, he'll grow into it faster than you think. $275

This -- think hard about just getting a 12 ga.  My son shot a 20 a couple of times, but then when he shot my grandpa's cheap old 12 ga auto, he said "this is my gun now."  And it is.

I would consider an auto, though -- takes the edge of the kick when they're still lightweights.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

wow.  I appreciate this a ton.  I am not in Austin, and I can't see being able to get there anytime soon.  Thank you for that offer, and the advice. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This -- think hard about just getting a 12 ga.  My son shot a 20 a couple of times, but then when he shot my grandpa's cheap old 12 ga auto, he said "this is my gun now."  And it is.

I would consider an auto, though -- takes the edge of the kick when they're still lightweights.

Good call.  I do believe I want to get him an auto.  

21 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Good call.  I do believe I want to get him an auto.  

A Rem 1187 can be had for 500+, but you can't beat an 1100 in a 20, and your kid will love you for it forever. Or if money grows on trees why not an A5 or an M2 maybe even an SBE3. They are all lifetime firearms.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:49 PM, pepper brooks said:

Anyone got a good recommendation on a shot gun (probably 20 gauge) for a soon to be 11 year old?  Need something he can shoot now, but also something he won't outgrow in a year.  

Start the 11yo  off with a gas semi-auto.  The Weatherby SA-08 is a decent youth gun that's not that expensive and has good reviews.  I started mine kids off with a Beretta 391 youth and they shot it a bunch growing up but LOP is a bit short these days.  If you do buy a youth gun, go ahead an by a full size but stock if possible for when they grow. I've looking for one for mine but they are $$$ these daysites if you can find one.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Pick the shotgun of your choice and form 1 that thing into a sbs.

Butwhy.gif

12 hours ago, davidg said:

Start the 11yo  off with a gas semi-auto.  The Weatherby SA-08 is a decent youth gun that's not that expensive and has good reviews.  I started mine kids off with a Beretta 391 youth and they shot it a bunch growing up but LOP is a bit short these days.  If you do buy a youth gun, go ahead an by a full size but stock if possible for when they grow. I've looking for one for mine but they are $$$ these daysites if you can find one.

Butwhy.gif

The logical part of my brain agrees with the 20g semi recommendation.  Reduces felt recoil some.  20g for sure.  Less pellets in the air compared to a 12g (so unnecessary for dove/quail).  Forces better mechanics.

Then there's the part of my brain that goes back to what i started with.  Single-shot .410 that i used to slay with.  Then graduated to a H&R single-shot 20g.  Same thought process of starting my kid off with a single-shot 22lr vs. a 10/22.  You have to make that shot count.  You can't crutch on follow-up shots so you get damn good with that first shot.  And whatever you go with.  Before they can pull the trigger, they need to know how to break it down, clean it, and re-assemble.  To me, that's where the "ownership" part of the gun takes place.  Just you, your gun, and a cleaning kit.  

• Like 1

kinda leaning towards going the "buy something nice that lasts a lifetime" route here.  The Beretta A400 Xplor with kickoff stock.  It's lighter than the gun he's been shooting, and I think with the technology in the Beretta and the kickoff stock I can get him a 12 that he can handle.  He's a strong kid already. 

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The logical part of my brain agrees with the 20g semi recommendation.  Reduces felt recoil some.  20g for sure.  Less pellets in the air compared to a 12g (so unnecessary for dove/quail).  Forces better mechanics.

Then there's the part of my brain that goes back to what i started with.  Single-shot .410 that i used to slay with.  Then graduated to a H&R single-shot 20g.  Same thought process of starting my kid off with a single-shot 22lr vs. a 10/22.  You have to make that shot count.  You can't crutch on follow-up shots so you get damn good with that first shot.  And whatever you go with.  Before they can pull the trigger, they need to know how to break it down, clean it, and re-assemble.  To me, that's where the "ownership" part of the gun takes place.  Just you, your gun, and a cleaning kit.  

Felt recoil if a big thing to small kids.  OPs kid is 11, mine were 7-8 when the first shot a shotgun.  I still have my single shot H&R 20 ga that I started with and it kicks like a mule compared to the gas auto.  When they were learning, I single fed rounds and it wasn't until they were probably 12 that they were allowed to load more that 1 at a time.  Same with a 22.  They both started with a single shot bolt Marlin 22 with a red dot sight before getting semi-autos of their own as they got older.

Here's my boy's first duck, killed with a single fed 2 3/4" #4 steel just was it landed. I think he was 9 here.

DSC01830.jpg

And his first game, killed by him self a year later.  He was walking along the dam of our lake farting around and ran back to camp and said he saw a squirrel in a tree and wanted to kill it.  I gave him his gun and 3 shells.  He killed the first one, then saw the second one down a fence row and stalked and killed it too.  

nmgsquirls1.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, davidg said:

Felt recoil if a big thing to small kids.  OPs kid is 11, mine were 7-8 when the first shot a shotgun.  I still have my single shot H&R 20 ga that I started with and it kicks like a mule compared to the gas auto.  When they were learning, I single fed rounds and it wasn't until they were probably 12 that they were allowed to load more that 1 at a time.  Same with a 22.  They both started with a single shot bolt Marlin 22 with a red dot sight before getting semi-autos of their own as they got older.

Here's my boy's first duck, killed with a single fed 2 3/4" #4 steel just was it landed. I think he was 9 here.

DSC01830.jpg

And his first game, killed by him self a year later.  He was walking along the dam of our lake farting around and ran back to camp and said he saw a squirrel in a tree and wanted to kill it.  I gave him his gun and 3 shells.  He killed the first one, then saw the second one down a fence row and stalked and killed it too.  

nmgsquirls1.jpg

Problem with duck and squirrel hunting, is if you are successful, now you have to clean and eat a duck or a squirrel.....;)

*obligatory good job dad.

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

kinda leaning towards going the "buy something nice that lasts a lifetime" route here.  The Beretta A400 Xplor with kickoff stock.  It's lighter than the gun he's been shooting, and I think with the technology in the Beretta and the kickoff stock I can get him a 12 that he can handle.  He's a strong kid already. 

I would lean that way too. The 400 is a really nice gun and has soft recoil. One thing to consider is the physical size of the gun, which is just as important to me as recoil. There is a lot of be said for a smaller gun that swings and points easier when trying to establish your mechanics. Learning how to do it right from the get go is tremendously important; learning to forget your bad habits later is much more difficult. Could be the difference between him being a 75 score in a few years, rather than a 50. 

Im a Beretta guy over Benelli personally, but I’ve shot both. Llano estacado has a 20 M2 he bought his wife, and that thing is the best feeling gun I’ve shot. I picked it up and was all over the minis in 5 minutes. Great rig that I’ll eventually pick up when my girls get old enough.  Have also shot the 400 many times. It’s a great gun, but it’s definitely full size. Maybe a 20 would be scaled down a bit, I haven’t shot one in 20.  

My vote would be 20 auto of good make.   I don’t know how many thousands of ducks and specks my old man killed with his 20s and 16s. It was common before it became impossible without 3.5’s...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEX90 said:

I am searching for new waders.  Any recommendations?  Have not bought any new ones in years.  My pair was long lasting but I need a new pair by Saturday.

Neoprene or breathable? 

Simms for breathable. Orvis makes/made some great canvas hunting type. Don’t know if they still have them but were high quality. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t know how many thousands of ducks and specks my old man killed with his 20s and 16s. It was common before it became impossible without 3.5’s...

16 was big for a while.  G-father had an 1100 and OLD Winchester Model 12 16g with the poly-choke.  Man I loved that gun.  One that got away when he passed and the guns went their separate ways.  Got to keep his Winchester Model 70 (pre-64) .270 and .257 Roberts.  Have pics of him hunting blacktails with mules and a wagon train back in his younger days in the western Edwards Plateau.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

16 was big for a while.  G-father had an 1100 and OLD Winchester Model 12 16g with the poly-choke.  Man I loved that gun.  One that got away when he passed and the guns went their separate ways.  Got to keep his Winchester Model 70 (pre-64) .270 and .257 Roberts.  Have pics of him hunting blacktails with mules and a wagon train back in his younger days in the western Edwards Plateau.  

I have my father's model 12 16ga. 

I killed a lot of dove with it after steel shot came along and I couldn't run that through the barrel in the marsh.

16 is still a great load for close decoying birds or timber hunting.   Steel took some of the thump out of it which is a shame.  I loved those purple hulls.

I love that gun.  I shoot it better than any shotgun I own - Maybe its mental or maybe its simply the fact they were wonderful tool!

Also have his 12 in 12ga with the Cutts Compensator instead of the Poly-Choke

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I love that gun.  I shoot it better than any shotgun I own - Maybe its mental or maybe its simply the fact they were wonderful tool!

Same here.  I still have and use almost exclusively my old 1970's  870 Wingmaster I picked up from a pawn shop in college.  It's my 2-iron.  Taken a lot of money off friends with that old girl.  "Friendly" bets in the field.  

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Not all of us have an affinity for tree rat.  

what about mountain lion?

i don't hunt, anymore.  but when i was hunting, i don't think i could 1. willingly hunt and shoot a mountain lion and 2. eat the motherfucker.  but i really like steven and have watched his shows all the way back to when he was on the travel channel.  his hunting shows are great.  he hunts how i would love to hunt.  in the middle of nowhere mountain range, glassing, and stalking prety.  it's damn hard work but it looks absolutely awesome.  this is the first time i didn't particularly enjoy his show.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

what about mountain lion?

i don't hunt, anymore.  but when i was hunting, i don't think i could 1. willingly hunt and shoot a mountain lion and 2. eat the motherfucker.  but i really like steven and have watched his shows all the way back to when he was on the travel channel.  his hunting shows are great.  he hunts how i would love to hunt.  in the middle of nowhere mountain range, glassing, and stalking prety.  it's damn hard work but it looks absolutely awesome.  this is the first time i didn't particularly enjoy his show.

He was just on Rogan's podcast.  I'm damn sure getting his cookbook.  I joke about squirrel, but I've had it (along with Raccoon, Possum, and a bunch of other crap like Gar and snake).  If I lived a subsistence lifestyle, bet your ass I'd eat it.  Protein is protein (and seemingly the point of Rinella's new book).

And hell yeah I'd eat cat.  Its a white meat, like pork.  Same with bear (black).  Probably have walking the streets of Mexico back in the day eating street vendor food @ 3am.  

And Steve lives it.  But what he does is HARD.  Mountain hunting is not like anything else.  At altitude.  Packing everything in, and out.  Drawing tags.  Gear.  Planning.  It's not for the faint of heart.  Twist your ankle at 24hr fitness and a year's worth of planning and thousands of dollars are gone.  Just like that.  Guys like Cam Haynes run marathons and ultra's to get and stay in mountain shape.  My first time was an eye opener.  Running up the side of a mountain to glass a fast moving herd.  Wanted to crawl in a hole and die.

Can anyone recommend a place in Central Texas (live in Austin) for a weekend hunt of whitetail and/or hogs? I’m looking for a one or two day hunt that includes a place to stay for three hunters. Not looking to break the bank to kill a trophy buck, just want to hang for a few days. 

Winkle Ranch in Llano offers pay/day hunts and has for years / decades.  No experience- just throwing the name out there. 

Also, just call the Llano Chamber of Commerce. 

They keep a list of all leases and day/pay hunts available in the county and I’m sure they have something that would fit the bill.

A lot of older ranchers only advertise through them - haven’t quite embraced the interwebs yet.....

May have to change plans this coming weekend.  I was going to take my son out to our place to shoot a doe.  We haven't had any bucks that I'm terribly excited about taking, but we're heavy on the doe side of the equation.  We haven't done a formal survey yet, but the numbers seem to indicate that we need to thin out the female side of the equation.

We finally got the A-frame set up, so we have a decent cleaning station as of last week.  We had been holding off on shooting anything other than hogs for the simple fact that quartering a deer is infinitely easier when you have the right set up.  My uncle called Sunday and invited my son and I down to his place.  He said he's heavy on management bucks and needs to take a few out.  May be this weekend or may be some time in January.  Waiting for schedules to sync up.  Regardless, one of these guys would make a great first buck for the boy.

IMG-1492-1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

May have to change plans this coming weekend.  I was going to take my son out to our place to shoot a doe.  We haven't had any bucks that I'm terribly excited about taking, but we're heavy on the doe side of the equation.  We haven't done a formal survey yet, but the numbers seem to indicate that we need to thin out the female side of the equation.

We finally got the A-frame set up, so we have a decent cleaning station as of last week.  We had been holding off on shooting anything other than hogs for the simple fact that quartering a deer is infinitely easier when you have the right set up.  My uncle called Sunday and invited my son and I down to his place.  He said he's heavy on management bucks and needs to take a few out.  May be this weekend or may be some time in January.  Waiting for schedules to sync up.  Regardless, one of these guys would make a great first buck for the boy.

IMG-1492-1.jpg

I shot ALOT of does before I got to anything with antlers. I’d have been excited for a mgt buck like that; I’m certain he’d be excited for a buck like that. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 4:18 PM, Both Tacos said:

Got a fairly quick 3 man limit yesterday and then promptly sunk/flooded my Rhino while trying to get to the other end of my property to put corn out. Luckily I have a neighbor that has a Humvee that he likes taking through the mud and high water to get it out.83740791eae822c516d8e8d0ee0f4739.jpg9d962aab7d7bd9c31faa29221b2787a8.jpg232c06a9dded7a4fbb917581d6e0784b.jpg

How many guns were lost?

So, we had a tale of two weekends at the ranch.  

Part 1

Got up to the ranch Saturday afternoon.  Weather was perfect.  Had a great hunt Saturday night with my son.  Lots of deer, but no shooters.  We're trying to put him on a cull buck at our place before we head to my uncle's ranch in South Texas.  Got back to the cabin and enjoyed steaks and some good company with by BIL and my nephew around the campfire.  Watched the stars and turned in at a decent hour.  Another great hunt Sunday morning.  Several doe and a small axis buck.  My BIL had a big group of pigs come in to the stand just before shooting light.  They bolted when the feeder went off, but he was able to knock down two perfect sows before they cleared the area.  We got out of the stand early and processed the pigs.  Had a breakfast beer and listened to Townes Van Zandt while we quartered them.  Just a really nice morning.  

Part 2

My BIL had to head back at a decent hour to get my nephew to a birthday party.  They left about 9:30.  I wanted to push the timers back on the feeders a bit and I needed to clean up camp, so we stayed around.  I have a new truck (maybe two weeks old... that part is important), and I turned it on, threw my phone on the charger and started loading up.  I shut the drivers side door and went back to the house to grab our bags.  Got back to the truck, and it was locked.  You may say, "Spaulding, don't you have keyless entry?"  And the answer is yes.  BUT, Ford somehow neglected to put the card with the code in the owners manual.  Going back to the dealership to get that code was on my to-do list this week.  As was mounting a spare under the body.  

So, here I am.  Truck running.  Keys on the console.  Phone on the console.  I'm in the middle-of-nowhere Kimble County.  I don't know the neighbors yet.  Nobody else around.  No phone at the cabin.  Nada.  Fuck.  At least I have beer.

So, I start to think.  What do I have in my toolbox and in the shop?  I find my dad's plastic speed square.  And some felt pads we were using for the bottom of the furniture.  And an electrician's fish tape.  I'm in business.  So, I'm able to wedge open the door using the speed square and the felt pads without scratching the paint just enough to get the fish tape in the cabin.  This takes me about 25 minutes (that's an important piece of information).  I'm dangling this fish tape around, trying to push the unlock button, the windows, the moon roof, the sliding window in the back.  ANYTHING.  I just can't get any leverage to press hard enough.  The handles are reverse of an old style truck in that you push down instead of lifting up.  As I'm reaching to try and open the moon roof, the fish tape is sort of bobbing in the middle of the cabin and somehow taps the screen in the middle of the dash.  My favorites contact list was up on the screen and I managed to dial my business partner.  He answers.  I'm yelling at him through glass.  He's confused and says he can barely hear me.  I'm thinking "No shit.  I'm outside of a running truck standing on a step stool."  I tell him to call my wife to have her call my BIL to have him turn around and come back to the ranch.  He hangs up, and thirty seconds later, the truck shuts off.  There's an auto-idle shut-off that kicks in after 30 minutes if you don't put it in gear. 

So, now my phone is blowing up.  My wife, my BIL, my business partner.  And, of course, I can't answer it.  I'm hoping my message got through, but I knew my BIL had to get home.  I'm not sure if my wife would try to drive up and bring me the spare key, or if my dad would drive up, or if my BIL would turn around or if we were stuck.

Since the truck is no longer running, I can't try to use the power windows to get it open.  My only option is the unlock button... or the keys.   After about 30 minutes, I'm finally able to grab the keys with the fish tape.  All I have on the key ring is the truck keyless start (no actual truck key) and a Yeti bottle opener.  Very carefully, I bring the fish tape back to the door with out falling.  I start pulling them gently through the opening.  I get the bottle opener through.  I'm on cloud nine!  I pull gently... and the key ring pulls apart.  I have a bottle opener in hand, and the keys fall to the floor board next to the door.  Fuck me.  

So, I try a myriad of other options.  I try to grab the lock on the back door, try to access from the other side across the cabin.  I just can't get any leverage with the fish tape.  I can't push hard enough on anything to get it to open.  

It's 1:30 now.  I've been at this for 3.5 hours.  I'm mentally exhausted and getting frustrated.  My son and his buddy are getting bored, but they've patiently stayed away.  I figure we'll go for a walk and adjust the feeders and I can clear my head.  The next options are to walk to the neighboring ranch to see if anyone is home.  Option 2 is stay the night again and wait for my dad who's coming up Monday morning to meet the electrician.  Option 3 is break a window.  I write a little sign on a piece of cardboard and stick it on the back of the truck saying we're out for a walk.  Just as we leave, I hear a truck pulling up.  It's my BIL.  With a locksmith right behind him.  He gets us unlocked in less than 5 minutes.  

So, I guess all's well that ends well.  We got home much later than anticipated.  My nephew missed a birthday party.  But, other than that, we just have a good story to tell.  

IMG-4472.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

So, we had a tale of two weekends at the ranch.  

Part 1

Got up to the ranch Saturday afternoon.  Weather was perfect.  Had a great hunt Saturday night with my son.  Lots of deer, but no shooters.  We're trying to put him on a cull buck at our place before we head to my uncle's ranch in South Texas.  Got back to the cabin and enjoyed steaks and some good company with by BIL and my nephew around the campfire.  Watched the stars and turned in at a decent hour.  Another great hunt Sunday morning.  Several doe and a small axis buck.  My BIL had a big group of pigs come in to the stand just before shooting light.  They bolted when the feeder went off, but he was able to knock down two perfect sows before they cleared the area.  We got out of the stand early and processed the pigs.  Had a breakfast beer and listened to Townes Van Zandt while we quartered them.  Just a really nice morning.  

Part 2

My BIL had to head back at a decent hour to get my nephew to a birthday party.  They left about 9:30.  I wanted to push the timers back on the feeders a bit and I needed to clean up camp, so we stayed around.  I have a new truck (maybe two weeks old... that part is important), and I turned it on, threw my phone on the charger and started loading up.  I shut the drivers side door and went back to the house to grab our bags.  Got back to the truck, and it was locked.  You may say, "Spaulding, don't you have keyless entry?"  And the answer is yes.  BUT, Ford somehow neglected to put the card with the code in the owners manual.  Going back to the dealership to get that code was on my to-do list this week.  As was mounting a spare under the body.  

So, here I am.  Truck running.  Keys on the console.  Phone on the console.  I'm in the middle-of-nowhere Kimble County.  I don't know the neighbors yet.  Nobody else around.  No phone at the cabin.  Nada.  Fuck.  At least I have beer.

So, I start to think.  What do I have in my toolbox and in the shop?  I find my dad's plastic speed square.  And some felt pads we were using for the bottom of the furniture.  And an electrician's fish tape.  I'm in business.  So, I'm able to wedge open the door using the speed square and the felt pads without scratching the paint just enough to get the fish tape in the cabin.  This takes me about 25 minutes (that's an important piece of information).  I'm dangling this fish tape around, trying to push the unlock button, the windows, the moon roof, the sliding window in the back.  ANYTHING.  I just can't get any leverage to press hard enough.  The handles are reverse of an old style truck in that you push down instead of lifting up.  As I'm reaching to try and open the moon roof, the fish tape is sort of bobbing in the middle of the cabin and somehow taps the screen in the middle of the dash.  My favorites contact list was up on the screen and I managed to dial my business partner.  He answers.  I'm yelling at him through glass.  He's confused and says he can barely hear me.  I'm thinking "No shit.  I'm outside of a running truck standing on a step stool."  I tell him to call my wife to have her call my BIL to have him turn around and come back to the ranch.  He hangs up, and thirty seconds later, the truck shuts off.  There's an auto-idle shut-off that kicks in after 30 minutes if you don't put it in gear. 

So, now my phone is blowing up.  My wife, my BIL, my business partner.  And, of course, I can't answer it.  I'm hoping my message got through, but I knew my BIL had to get home.  I'm not sure if my wife would try to drive up and bring me the spare key, or if my dad would drive up, or if my BIL would turn around or if we were stuck.

Since the truck is no longer running, I can't try to use the power windows to get it open.  My only option is the unlock button... or the keys.   After about 30 minutes, I'm finally able to grab the keys with the fish tape.  All I have on the key ring is the truck keyless start (no actual truck key) and a Yeti bottle opener.  Very carefully, I bring the fish tape back to the door with out falling.  I start pulling them gently through the opening.  I get the bottle opener through.  I'm on cloud nine!  I pull gently... and the key ring pulls apart.  I have a bottle opener in hand, and the keys fall to the floor board next to the door.  Fuck me.  

So, I try a myriad of other options.  I try to grab the lock on the back door, try to access from the other side across the cabin.  I just can't get any leverage with the fish tape.  I can't push hard enough on anything to get it to open.  

It's 1:30 now.  I've been at this for 3.5 hours.  I'm mentally exhausted and getting frustrated.  My son and his buddy are getting bored, but they've patiently stayed away.  I figure we'll go for a walk and adjust the feeders and I can clear my head.  The next options are to walk to the neighboring ranch to see if anyone is home.  Option 2 is stay the night again and wait for my dad who's coming up Monday morning to meet the electrician.  Option 3 is break a window.  I write a little sign on a piece of cardboard and stick it on the back of the truck saying we're out for a walk.  Just as we leave, I hear a truck pulling up.  It's my BIL.  With a locksmith right behind him.  He gets us unlocked in less than 5 minutes.  

So, I guess all's well that ends well.  We got home much later than anticipated.  My nephew missed a birthday party.  But, other than that, we just have a good story to tell.  

IMG-4472.jpg

HAHA, am I the only one who immediately thought of this:

1:17 The PollyEsther's doorman laughs uncontrollably at our efforts to enter his club. "Fellas," he says in between his fits of spastic laughter, "I've been working this door for almost a year. I've been working doors in this town for almost 5 years. And I can honestly say that I ain't never seen three drunker mother f**kers than you three. Sorry, can't let you in." We attempt to reason with him. He laughs harder.

1:44 We find a bar that lets us in. We take two steps in the door and hear "Last call for alcohol!" I turn to the group and mutter: "See, dat wasn't that f**kin' hard. Day don't f**kin' do that at the Awamo...the awaom...the alab...************ it, that stadium we was at today..." We order 6shots of tequila and three beers.

2:15 Back on the street. We need food. We hail cab to take us the two and one half blocks to Denny's. The cab fare is $1.60. We give him $10 and tell him to keep it.

2:17 There is a 20 minute wait. We give the hostess $50. We are seated immediately.

2:25 We order two orders of fried pickles, a Cobb salad, a bowl of soup, two orders of Blueberry blintzes, two Reuben sandwiches, a hamburger, two cheese stuffed potatoes, an order of fries, and an order of onion rings.

2:39 The food arrives. We are all asleep with our heads on the table. The waiter wakes us up. We eat every f**king bit of our food. Most of the restaurant patrons around us are disgusted. We don't give a ************. The tab is $112 with tip.

2:46 I'm sleepy.

9:12 I wake up next to a strange woman. She is a waitress at Denny's. She is not pretty.

8:58 Crack open...(you get the idea)

10:30 Finish 18 (holes, as well as beers), sign scorecard for smoooooth 95

10:35 Headed for San Antonio (Alamodome - Nebraska vs Texas)