2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

Westerlund no on bench. Lose another one?  She was very nice to look at. 

Oh 3-2 in 2nd

Blair had another knee surgery and is still on the team.  But Katarina has been taken off the roster on the Texas website.

Edited by TexasDPT

That was some real quality play.  Hitting over .500 and side out at over 80% during the first 2 sets.  Great defensive effort too.  I'm sure those numbers got better up to 19-4 in the 3rd when we brought in players from the bench.

Micaya hitting that roll shot again over the line defender forced TSU to drop her back.  Then she drops a tip over the block in front of that same defender.  Smart shots.  I think her service run had 3 aces, one overpass and a free ball.  That was the definition of service pressure.

Passing was a little off at times, which is probably why Jhenna didn't make much use of the middle tonight.  Made up for it with pace and location to the pins.  The play where the pass went into the net and she pulled it off with a perfect set using her forearm off the bottom tape was just sick.

• Like 1

Sweet 16 is set.

Of the Top 16 seeds, the top 8 all advanced without much of an issue.  Only Illinois and Wisconsin dropped a set.  Top 8 seeds were 24-2 in the 2nd round.

Of the bottom 8 seeds, only 4 survived.  #15 Oregon had a five set scare versus Baylor.
#9 Creighton got dropped in straight sets to Washington.
#11 USC got dropped in straight sets to USD.
#12 Pitt got dropped in 5 to Michigan
#13 UCF got dropped in 5 to FGCU (in the first round, yack!)

Texas is 3-3 versus the remaining teams in the tournament.  3 losses were to top 8 seeds, 3 wins against the rest (#10, #15, unseeded Florida).

Sweet 16 preview:

#1 Stanford vs. #16 Washington State - yawn. 
#2 Minnesota vs. #15 Oregon - another rematch.  Hopefully is competitive.
#3 Illinois vs. #14 Marquette - I know nothing about this. 
#4 BYU vs. Florida -  Gators have some tall trees and defense.  Should be good actually.
#5 Texas vs. Michigan -  Don't think Michigan has the horses to keep up.  But scrappy floor defense is a B1G trademark
#6 Wisky vs. San Diego - I know nothing about this. We lost to Wisky, grrrr
#7 Nebraska vs. #10 Kentucky - I'm intrigued by this one.  Could be the most evenly matched
#8 PSU vs. Washington - edge to PSU.

• Like 1

Florida was missing Thayer Hall for much of their SEC conference schedule.  She's back and they're a borderline top 10 team with her in the lineup.  I really like our matchups at the net vs Michigan other than at setter, esp in the middle.  Passing will be the key to taking advantage of that middle attack.  The one player to watch for UM is Skjodt (can I buy a vowel?).  She's their answer to Micaya: smart, experienced, 6 rotation player that hits left side but not as athletic (how many are?).  We'll see her playing good D and attacking the 10 foot line.

There are really only 2 things about UM that concern me.  One is the same floor defense that Js mentioned.  The second is the fact that they are a really good serving team.  1.3 aces per set but more importantly only 4 errors for every 3 aces - an incredible ratio for a team not serving lollipops.

Melani just turned 16 in September (and hopefully still growing) so I'm assuming she's going to be part of the 2020 class with:

S - 6'1 Naomi Cabello

OH - 6'2 Madison Williams

L/DS - Nalani Iosia, Reilly Heinrich

Even for her current thin frame, she puts a lot of heat on the ball, sees the court well,  can abuse the block, is already a passing 6-rotation OH, and has a consistent jump serve.  I think she can do well in the L2 position.  Where she will get exposed  is in her blocking, similarly as Amy Neal did.  It will be interesting to see if she can transition form international to NCAA volleyball.  Our team's history with smaller international OHs has kinda been a miss IMO (Pilar Victoria and Dariam Acevedo).