These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

On 8/9/2023 at 4:23 PM, G650 said:

So I flipped on the Bassman today with all the attenuator talk.

20230809-162807.jpg

I’ve spent a couple of days with the Mass 100 and the Super. So far I’m really liking it. I haven’t gotten everything totally dialed in but I think it’s going to be exactly as I hoped. Thanks for the advice. 
In case anyone is having some annoying hum with their amps, this power conditioner cleared up mine. Not sure what was causing it but it’s now gone. 
https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Power-Conditioner/dp/B0002D017M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_pp?keywords=Furman&qid=1691978780&sr=8-2

I'm going to bump this thread again since I don't mind admitting that I am pretty much clueless about amps.  The advice on the attenuator was spot on so I am going back to the well.

As I posted above I have a 68 drip edge Super Reverb.  I bought it a couple of years before the pandemic.  It was in rough cosmetic shape and the original speakers had been replaced.  Silverface but before they changed the BF circuit.  Had it serviced and liked the tone but not the volume I had to use to get it.  Now that I am using it more (thank you attenuator) I really took a look at the speakers.  I have two of the yellow label Fender reissues and two of the Celestion G10 Vintage Anniversary.

Now, I know that I hate how those yellow label Fenders sound in just about every other amp I have heard.  Don't know anything about the G10's.  The amp sounds kind of boomy on the low end and even clean sounds a bit muddy or fart like to me.  

My questions are, what do you think about that speaker combination and would it be a terrible idea to yank out the Fenders and throw in a couple of 8 ohm Fat Jimmy C1025's that someone gave me?  

Edited by CTC2

Wouldn’t hurt to try.

I have a 70 super. It only had three speakers in it when I bought it. I took those out because one was blown. Put it some (sacrilege warning) Eminences on the advice of my amp guy. They sounded great.

Later I took the three of originals (Jensens I think, maybe oxfords I’d have to look) and a matching one I found online and sent them all out to be Reconed. Put them back in and while it now looks period correct, the Eminences sounded better. FWIW.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CTC2 said:

My questions are, what do you think about that speaker combination and would it be a terrible idea to yank out the Fenders and throw in a couple of 8 ohm Fat Jimmy C1025's that someone gave me?

Far from terrible, it would be a great idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I'm going to bump this thread again since I don't mind admitting that I am pretty much clueless about amps.  The advice on the attenuator was spot on so I am going back to the well.

As I posted above I have a 68 drip edge Super Reverb.  I bought it a couple of years before the pandemic.  It was in rough cosmetic shape and the original speakers had been replaced.  Silverface but before they changed the BF circuit.  Had it serviced and liked the tone but not the volume I had to use to get it.  Now that I am using it more (thank you attenuator) I really took a look at the speakers.  I have two of the yellow label Fender reissues and two of the Celestion G10 Vintage Anniversary.

Now, I know that I hate how those yellow label Fenders sound in just about every other amp I have heard.  Don't know anything about the G10's.  The amp sounds kind of boomy on the low end and even clean sounds a bit muddy or fart like to me.  

If you can find some old CTS Alnico speakers from the 70s, those were great in the later silverface SRs.  Otherwise, some Eminence 1028K speakers probably would sound nice.  Weber Sig 10 might be close.  I have a pair of them (The Webers) I'm not using if you want to make me an offer.  I broke them in, but didn't like them in my Bassman.

Weber used to make a clone, but I don't think they do any longer.  But the Sig10 supposedly is close as are the Eminence mentioned above.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was googling Harvard with 12 after plugging into and enjoying the shit out of my Harvard Clone with a 12 the other night and came across this.  Now I want a Les Paul Deluxe (that LP Deluxe).  The tele sounds good too.  The amp sounds great, but not spending money on that.

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm honestly thinking about thinning the amp herd down. My Supro 1600 is just magic. Keep that and my Vintage 47 Ric. 

The question is just how long before I start buying more, again?

My longest stretch of no buying was sometime between 2000 and 2014, give or take.  Than it ramped back up.  I'm in a stage of no buying again for the last year or so. 

Answer:  No too long.  But it might be more expensive when you come back.

Edited by dcbc

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

I just seem to plug into the Supro damn near all the time. It's fantastic. It does everything I want. 

As I reassemble my pedalboard, I'm finding it takes pedals better than any other amp I have. 

There are 20 things I could sell.  At least a guitar, an amp, and 18 pedals.  I ask myself, do I have to sell?  At the moment, thankfully, I do not.  But I always have my eye on a few things. 

Apart from pedals, I could get it down to 4 guitars and three amps.  But I don't want to.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yep I remember when you posted that.

I never have been able to get a tone out of mine I dig. Always sounds flat to me. In all fairness, I haven’t tried real hard though.

The not shown boogie .22 was acquired around the same time and just sang from go so it’s had a permanent spot at the band practice a room.

42 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yep I remember when you posted that.

I never have been able to get a tone out of mine I dig. Always sounds flat to me. In all fairness, I haven’t tried real hard though.

The not shown boogie .22 was acquired around the same time and just sang from go so it’s had a permanent spot at the band practice a room.

I swapped in some NOS tubes which helped. They will take a 6L6 and an EL84 with an adapter. Lots of mods you can make too, but haven't traveled that path. It is nice that they are handwired.

The cab gets more work than the head. I plug my little Panama Conqueror head into the cab. It's a 5 watter that is pretty tweedy.

Edited by Deej

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, thanks for helping me extricate my head from my anus, @G650.

Have been playing live a lot more this summer, nothing big, but one-man band stuff and sitting in with some local bands at pubs, little outdoor venues, one festival.  Anyway, as far as sitting-in-with-bands, I've played mostly electric guitar, but have been asked to play bass, acoustic guitar and keyboards as well, and encountered a few problems.  I had to turn down the acoustic guitar and keyboard opportunities because I wasn't really set up well to do them live.  I've had times I was plugged through a modeler direct to PA and been unable to hear myself because they had no monitors, etc... 

Anyway, this has put me on a quest to find something with a 1x12 combo footprint that could work for all those instruments that has a line out to go to PA but a speaker and enough power to be a self monitor.  I just ordered these two items from Sweetwater.

This has the 1x12 footprint, enough power to be a self-monitor and handle a small pub alone, a line out to go to PA for sound reinforcement when needed, the speaker to handle all those instruments, something akin to 4 channel mixer for busking/1man band gigs/band practice, individual channel EQ, post EQ, and some built in effects.

In addition to that, I bought a Tonex pedal.  This is an AI powered amp profiler for guitar and bass, and reviews are pretty good as far as tones go.  It's real small, which is important to me.  I need to fit into whatever space isn't being taken up by the band, so I want something that will fit into the pocket of a gig bag vs needing its own gig bag.  I've been using Fractal/AxeFX products for awhile now, so if this doesn't work out, I'll return it and get a Fractal FM3 which is slightly bigger and significantly more expensive but can play presets I've made for the AxeFX.

My hope is that I'll have just a single 1x12 combo-sized thing sitting around cluttering up my space, and when I have an opportunity to play, I'll just be able to throw it, a couple cords, and the gig bag with whatever instrument I'll be playing into the truck and go.  If its electric guitar/bass, I'll also make sure the tonex is in the gig bag.

This is all theoretical.  It may turn out to be shit, I dunno.  I'll post more about how the experiment works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, Goredho said:

Got the Laney amp & Tonex pedal in, and I am pretty excited about what I hear for electric guitar.  Haven’t tried bass, acoustic, vocals or keyboards yet, but this may wind up shaking up a lot of my gear.

Further follow up to this.  I've played a couple guitar gigs with this Laney amp and Tonex pedal, and got enough out of it to completely shake up my live rig.  Sold my AxeFX, power amp, speakers, foot controller and more and built a pedal board around the Tonex pedal and this Laney amp.

image.thumb.jpeg.a97bbf8b1769fb5d266a7f5efc9fd2a2.jpeg

Then to go completely fucking bananas, I got a 61 key Roland Fantom keyboard to take out live, either as a one man band or sitting in playing just keyboards.  Started working with it all last night with the Aeros Loop Studio pedal (bottom left) where all the things could be looped, and it sounded great.  This is a shitty no-low end recording with my phone here, and its sloppy because I was high AF, but you'll get the idea listening to a minute or so of this.  The keyboard is voicing the drums, organ and synth bass all played into the looper, then with that looping, I played guitar with the tonex pedal and a few other effects from this board.  All of that was going into the Laney amp at once, and then it was recorded with my phone.

Given an unlimited amount of money, storage space and roadies to haul shit around, purpose-built equipment for all these different concerns would be sonically better, but for what I'm doing and the resources I have, I am super happy with the Tonex pedal and the Laney amp.  I've owned two high end modelers, a Helix and an AxeFX, both priced well over $1000, and for pure amp/cab tones, this $399 Tonex pedal is as good or better.  As for the amp, I now have one 1x12 combo sized package that works for any one of electric guitar, electric bass, acoustic guitar and keyboards or any of them in combination in a 1 man band context.  I'm no longer lugging around a PA mixer, amp, two speakers, etc... All of that is built into the Laney's 1x12 combo sized package.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:37 PM, BrickHorn said:

My new Swart STR Tweed arrived a couple weeks ago. It is glorious.  I’m too lazy to upload pics or sound clips of my own, but it looks just like this:

rgdkompmolcyorxg67vu.jpg

...and sounds just like this:

How has your Swart been working for you? I’m looking for a long-term relationship with a new amp and am considering an AST.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I had one of those for a while. Loud af.

Any tips on it? I'm used to amps I don't have many options. I like the clean channel with the crunch engaged. Pretty clean but beefy and not thin. I put it on a stand and it helped with the heavy bottom end this thing seems to have. 

Edited by Deej

Any tips on it? I'm used to amps I don't have many options. I like the clean channel with the crunch engaged. Pretty clean but beefy and not thin. I put it on a stand and it helped with the heavy bottom end this thing seems to have. 

I’m probably not the best help. I didn’t keep mine very long because the dirt side just seemed to fizzy to me and I couldn’t dial it out.

This is my favorite Marshall these days

45f8077ae3a8a1a092b016cb00865176.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1