These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hey @jimmyjazz it just occurred to me there is another amp that might be what you are looking for, Fender Bassbreaker. Not expensive and easy to move if you want when you are done

I'll look into it.  Tube or SS or hybrid or modeling?

I cajoled my daughter's boyfriend into loaning me his Blues Junior for my rehearsal this week, so the pressure is off a bit.  I still need another amp, though.  I mean, one amp is embarassing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, one amp is embarassing

Clearly.

The BB is an EL84 based amp. Like 400 bucks used? But there are a shitload of them out there and you could always get back what you paid.

• Hook 'Em 1

@jimmyjazz - Just perusing CL and there are a bunch of options, including a used Tony Bruno (in case you want a like-for-like backup).

Peavey Classic 20. Probably fairly similar to the Delta Blues, but 10 watts less power and a smaller speaker. 

Vox AC10. I’ve never played through one, but I assume it’s similar to my AC15 which I really like as a gigging amp / pedal platform. Speaking of, there’s an AC15 that’s $100 cheaper. 

Finally, this Nace Pro 18 might be a good option. From video reviews, it sounds pretty good.

Edited by BrickHorn

Oh, hell yes:  just found out I have an in with Fender for a 50% discount.  Might be NEW new amp time.  Thinking any of the single speaker models.  15 watts is "enough" . . . but 40 watts, well, that's just better, right?

Don't want to pull the trigger on the Deluxe Reverb, even at half price.

• Like 1

I'm being pulled hard to the Blues Deluxe Reissue:
Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-Review-A-Modern-Classic-Reinvented.jpg

Get that. It will be loud af but get it anyway.

Count me as a plus 1 on the Classic 30. I have one. Great amp. I actually went to the music store one day all set to fall in love with a $2500 Mesa mark 5 and came home with a $600 Classic 30 instead. Sounded better.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Count me as a plus 1 on the Classic 30. I have one. Great amp. I actually went to the music store one day all set to fall in love with a $2500 Mesa mark 5 and came home with a $600 Classic 30 instead. Sounded better.

@jimmyjazz sold me a Delta Blues years ago, which is basically a Classic 30 with a couple additional / different features. Phenomenal amp. Maybe the best cleans on any amp I’ve ever owned. 

Any knowledge on the difference between the Blues Deluxe Reissue and the Hot Rod Deluxe IV?  Both are 40 watts, 3 x 12AX7, 2 x 6L6.  Both have a single 12" speaker, although the Hot Rod has a Celestion and the Blues Deluxe has an Eminence.  Hot Rod has 3 channels (normal, drive, full drive) whereas the Blue Deluxe has two (normal, drive).

Are they close to the same amp with a 3rd gain stage available for the Hot Rod?  Something has to give, they're the same price.  Maybe the speaker?

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any knowledge on the difference between the Blues Deluxe Reissue and the Hot Rod Deluxe IV?  Both are 40 watts, 3 x 12AX7, 2 x 6L6.  Both have a single 12" speaker, although the Hot Rod has a Celestion and the Blues Deluxe has an Eminence.  Hot Rod has 3 channels (normal, drive, full drive) whereas the Blue Deluxe has two (normal, drive).

Are they close to the same amp with a 3rd gain stage available for the Hot Rod?  Something has to give, they're the same price.  Maybe the speaker?

If you're in the 40 watt range, just get the Bassman Ltd already.

Based on the hot rod that I used to own you’ll never use the drive channel. Clean and pedals is where it’s at.

Not sure on the differences.

If you are looking Fender though id seriously give that 2 knob version I linked earlier a look.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

If you are looking Fender though id seriously give that 2 knob version I linked earlier a look.

I'm actually going to play one today -- the Pro Jr IV.  This one is an "SE" version, different speaker from what I can tell.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm actually going to play one today -- the Pro Jr IV.  This one is an "SE" version, different speaker from what I can tell.

Grabbed it with a return option.  FIrst impressions -- it's bright, and probably not loud enough.  We'll see at rehearsal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 6:44 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Looking forward to the full report. Pics?

It was . . . alright.  Honestly, a pair might not suck, and it would open up the opportunity for (mild) stereo effects.  It's pretty much a garage rock amp, which is consistent with what we're doing, nobody's gonna play metal through this thing without a pedal.  It's light in the low end as one would expect, but I'm not sure that's a big deal.

Basically, the jury is out.  Need more time.  Here it is with a partscaster for scale:

p.jpeg

It was . . . alright.  Honestly, a pair might not suck, and it would open up the opportunity for (mild) stereo effects.  It's pretty much a garage rock amp, which is consistent with what we're doing, nobody's gonna play metal through this thing without a pedal.  It's light in the low end as one would expect, but I'm not sure that's a big deal.
Basically, the jury is out.  Need more time.  Here it is with a partscaster for scale:
p.jpeg

Caint see shit.

Of all my amps, I'm down to playing my Supro 1600 Supreme almost exclusively. Doesn't matter the guitar, it always sounds good. 10"speaker with the 12" extension cabinet. Supposedly based on Keef's Oahu.

I prefer it over my Black Majick.

I love me some 6V6 amps. 

20170831_172754.thumb.jpg.64b04984d4c43c5a64fb93d194811509.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

As mentioned upthread, restore or no?

2b7b5173a69724a11fc65b411162efef.jpg
ebd7ff7116dd2a59e923ba179d430ce9.jpg
3d07f84ed9fa5a4875e0b814f2278457.jpg
79c95d3b7c5f5225b2591fc39e3ab0a1.jpg

I had whatever the 2x12 version of this was minus the speakers, which someone tried to put into a car stereo system.  I looked into getting it restored and the guy who could have taken my money talked me out of it.  Thomas Organ-Vox Solid State just wasn't that desirable.  Of course, this was the 90s when you could pick up Silverface Fenders for several hundred bucks.  Looks like these are worth about $750--$850 (ask) on Reverb.  So proceed accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I ever posted this one.  As much of a tweed love fest as I've put on over the last decade, there's a reason my 1973 Deluxe Reverb, modded to AB763 specs etc. by David Allen and fitted with a 1968 Jensen C12N is my desert island amp.  This is a demo I did for a friend shopping for a similar amp with his settings and, eventually, my settings.  I don't get the reverb tamed until the end, but for someone who doesn't do demos, it gets the job done. 

/guitar is a 1970 ES-335 TD

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any current experience with an attenuator for a late 60’s Super Reverb?  I’m looking at the Weber Mass 100. I like the Super but I just can’t use it as much as I’d like. 
Essentially I’m trying to decide between getting an attenuator or just trading it for a smaller amp. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Anyone have any current experience with an attenuator for a late 60’s Super Reverb?  I’m looking at the Weber Mass 100. I like the Super but I just can’t use it as much as I’d like. 
Essentially I’m trying to decide between getting an attenuator or just trading it for a smaller amp. Thanks!

I have a 100 for my Bassman, seems a little overkill for a Super but certainly would do the trick. They are great units and you can dial in basically the same tone, just quieter.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have a 100 for my Bassman, seems a little overkill for a Super but certainly would do the trick. They are great units and you can dial in basically the same tone, just quieter.

Thanks. Weber recommends the 100 for Supers so that’s why I was looking at it.  I’m not sure if the next one down is 2 ohm for the Super. 
Good to get the opinion. I appreciate it. 

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Thanks. Weber recommends the 100 for Supers so that’s why I was looking at it.  I’m not sure if the next one down is 2 ohm for the Super. 
Good to get the opinion. I appreciate it. 

Yeah if that's what they say then I would lean that way. I have a Mass 200 for my big iron, but it is more just a volume knob. The 100 really can dial in the same sound with its separate bass and treble knobs and hi/lo switch

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah if that's what they say then I would lean that way. I have a Mass 200 for my big iron, but it is more just a volume knob. The 100 really can dial in the same sound with its separate bass and treble knobs and hi/lo switch

You helped me a bunch. Thanks.