Houston BBQ

mbtex

Grant seems like a nice guy. Given our age range and Texas Ex status, I bet we know quite a few of the same Lamar people. Pretty slick restaurant and bar. BBQ is expensive everywhere. I'm happy for him, but I don't feel an obligation to eat there. 

Best of luck. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

It’s my dad’s favorite place, and it delivered today 

I don’t mind being disappointed in a restaurant I have never been to and that gamble not paying off, but it’s frustrating to see a very consistent restaurant you love become inconsistent.

Does Grant live here or SA? Curious if the SA location is more consistent. But that’s a tough sell for me with Reese Bros and 2M. Tejano BBQ joints tend to be fucking amazing (like Burnt Bean and Valentina’s).

I have a 50/20/20/10/0 ratio for eating my BBQ at Truth/Pinkertons/Feges/Rudys/Goode Co and that order matches what I think the quality and consistency of BBQ is.  

Truth is best but most inconvenient.  I've had 2 average meals there I would say.  But that is a very high batting average given how much I go.

I havent had bad meal at Pinkerton's but their best doesn't match Truth.

Feges  and Rudy's pretty convenient so that's why they are still in rotation.  Goode Co = sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

I've had average and great meals at Pinkerton's, Pit Room, and Corkscrew. Tejas and Truth have been only great. It's always disappointing to catch an off day, especially at the current prices or if you've talked it up to someone from out of town.

I’ve only been to pit room 5 times or so, that place is great 

pit room - never order the bbq, but their chicken tacos are great 

Goode co really sucks 

Edited by tx 3 putt

It doesn't get much love here, but I've had some good meals at Feges. I only eat there if we're randomly in the area during lunch though.

I’ve only been to pit room 5 times or so, that place is great 
pit room - never order the bbq, but their chicken tacos are great 
Goode co really sucks 
The sausage is my favorite part about Pit Room. I think I saw they're opening one out closer to me which is nice.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:15 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Gatlins bbq chicken has never failed me 

This. Their whole chicken is perfect. Seasoned well, good texture, and moisture content. Are they still assholes about their sides? There’s no reason to not serve collared greens everyday.

Feges make a pretty decent bird too, but the skin texture is a little rubbery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. Their whole chicken is perfect. Seasoned well, good texture, and moisture content. Are they still assholes about their sides? There’s no reason to not serve collared greens everyday.

Feges make a pretty decent bird too, but the skin texture is a little rubbery. 

gatlin’s catering is damn excellent 

Well I think you talked me into driving up to Cypress Patricio. 
I just can't anymore with Brisket House. The wet brisket I ordered was dry AF. Their sausage and cream corn remain solid. 

I have never gone there because I have always heard it was as mediocre as can be. No need to go to a place like that with so many good spots around. Or just go to Rudy’s.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Finally tried B&R due Surly rec. 

Very delicious but I wouldn't make that drive again with Truth and Pinkertons closer to me.  Glad I went though just to scratch that itch.

this is often my dilemma, I’m 10 mins from truth and pinketons, 15 from the pit room 

why go anywhere else ?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this is often my dilemma, I’m 10 mins from truth and pinketons, 15 from the pit room 

why go anywhere else ?

Go to FM 529 and N Eldridge Pkwy for great BBQ, a half pallet of sod, shop for a concrete yard sculpture of a gorilla, buy back my catalytic converter and get a tattoo just as all normal Americans do. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

Go to FM 529 and N Eldridge Pkwy for great BBQ, a half pallet of sod, shop for a concrete yard sculpture of a gorilla, buy back my catalytic converter and get a tattoo just as all normal Americans do. 

Guessing you are Surly 1%er and buy your laundry detergent at Target instead of the back of a pickup truck in bulk size?  Didn't see it on your shopping list.

16 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Guessing you are Surly 1%er and buy your laundry detergent at Target instead of the back of a pickup truck in bulk size?  Didn't see it on your shopping list.

My woman uses a warshin' board and lye once a month whether my garments need a warshin' or not.

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

why go anywhere else ?

I’m about equidistant from Pinkertons, truth, and B&R, but the biggest thing for me was that since had to take it to go, I was in and out in about 5 minutes. That type of quick trip isn’t really happening at truth/Pinkertons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I’m about equidistant from Pinkertons, truth, and B&R, but the biggest thing for me was that since had to take it to go, I was in and out in about 5 minutes. That type of quick trip isn’t really happening at truth/Pinkertons. 

Pinkerton’s has a pick up table. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Grant announced to the public that he struggled with drugs in the past and just celebrated his 10th anniversary of his clean date. Props to him. When it comes to quality of BBQ and quality of the person running the restaurant there is no one better than Pinkerton’s in my book.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4