2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

Does anyone else think that maybe CDC has swung and missed at several candidates, at this point? I think the timeline and chain of events suggest that Walton was definitely offer #1...Are we now to believe that we may have been turned down by multiple others for this job?

Yeah, gotta assume he's going down the list at this point.  Circling back as appropriate. Perhaps waiting on a candidate to make a decision (White) and doing his due diligence in the meantime (2nd interview with Kenny G, reaching out to other candidates).

Someone on UCS says he's interviewed Kenny G, interviewed someone in Dallas (Lotief or a neutral site meeting perhaps?), Ericksen was on campus in the past few weeks.

God, I hope it's not an issue of waiting for Cat to come back from Greece to announce the KE-CO Frankenstein hybrid.

I feel bad for the current student-athletes. If CDC isn't communicating with them, they're just sitting around and waiting to see who they're playing for next year. Some (?) might be contemplating transferring and this is really pushing them up against deadlines to get accepted/enrolled quickly.

That's what I'm saying. It really stinks for them. 

I think we won't see many transfers because it's going to be too late. They'll stick it out and decide next year.

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's what I'm saying. It really stinks for them. 

I think we won't see many transfers because it's going to be too late. They'll stick it out and decide next year.

Which is a good thing for us...We have gone from hoping for a quick strike hire, so we could get transfers to it now possibly being too late for our kids to transfer. That is how long this whole stupid thing has drawn out. F the previous administration for their handling of this athletic program. They sat back, and padded their pockets, while our teams and our facilities went to shit. Now they are having trouble finding willing coaches for this team.

Oregon was 16-34 the year before Mike White took over.

2010 - 35-21, NCAA Super Regional

2011 - 42-16, NCAA Super Regional

2012 - 45-18, WCWS (like we'd forget): 1-2 WCWS

2013 - 50-11, PAC 12 Champions, Super Regional

2014 - 56-9-1, Pac 12 Champions, WCWS: 2-2 WCWS (lost in semifinals to runner up)

2015 - 51-8, Pac 12 Champions, WCWS: 0-2 WCWS

2016 - 48-10, Pac 12 Champions, Super Regional

2017 - 54-9, WCWS: 2-2 WCWS (lost in the semifinals to eventual champ)

2018 - 53-10, Pac 12 Champions, WCWS: 1-2

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Nice! CDC getting shit done. Now if Cat can be lured here as a pitching coach...

This is highly unlikely. Only 2 full-time assistants. Mike is the pitching coach. Kolatis was his hitting coach and he had a third assistant for defense. It was a lot like what we had set up here with Clark.

Now, if the 3rd full-time assistant rule passes, all bets are off.

Snowball effect - Oregon's associate AD Lisa Petersen was the architect behind the Lawson hire at Kentucky. Rob Mullens was at MSU, so he is familiar with Lawson. Kentucky could be left in the cold if Lawson goes to Eugene (would be a great hire for them).

Ten thousand apologies to CDC for ever doubting this.

So what if it took a month? We got one of the top 3 coaches in the country (turned down by #2 and #1 was unattainable).  There's going to be some epic Texas-OU battles between these two. 

That article just tells you it ain't going to be cheap.

Texas first contacted him less than a week ago, White said, after it had wrapped its hiring of a track and field coach. From there, he said he was sold on the Longhorn's financial commitment to softball, including a player development center that will be "eye catching" when it opens, White said.

2 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

New facilities (stadium) coming or nah? 

I hope so.

Oregon did their new stadium for $17 million. Tear down in May, broke ground in June 2015, opened in March 2016.  Probably not an immediate concern, but clearly CDC sold him on a vision and an immediate discussion to start construction of a player development center, probably during the 2019 offseason.

13 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

not a chance. I am not a fan of the split grip hitting style.

I'm trying to think off the top of my head who White goes for as his hitting coach, with Jimmy K off on his own head coaching job.

Also this should easily grab the attention of Sam Show.  The pitching depth chart is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open at Texas, all you transfer pitchers. With the best pitching coach in the game coaching you.

Kirk Bohls‏Verified account @kbohls 44s45 seconds ago
More
"I really wanted a grinder," Texas AD Chris Del Conte said of new softball coach Mike White of Oregon. "He's been there 9 years and been to WCWS 5 of 8 years. They were perennially dead last when he got there. They were god awful."

Yes on this. The 5 years before White got UO:

2009 - 16-31, 3-18 (8th in conference)
2008 - 35-29 (5-16) - regional
2007 - 44-19 (7-14) - regional
2006 - 24-29 (5-16)
2005 - 36-25 (7-14) - regional

Some other stats - team ERA under Mike White from 2010 to 2018:

2.42, 2.15, 2.79, 1.64 ,1.82, 2.42, 2.14, 1.41, 1.38

We also have a buyout to pay. White has 3 years left on his current contract.  Good thing CDC is a master at raising money.

Still can't believe we outbid Oregon. I wonder if Phil Knight just doesn't not give a shit about softball. I mean, Oregon is the school that still employs George Horton, so maybe they just don't care as long as football, MBB, WBB and T&F are doing fine.

Super triple confirmed official.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/6/25/mike-white-named-head-softball-coach-at-texas.aspx

"Mike is a highly-respected coach with a tremendous reputation in the softball community," Del Conte said. "What he has accomplished in nine years at Oregon is truly special. In a short period of time, Mike took a program that had not had a great deal of success and built it into a consistent national power. He is a program builder, and Mike truly cares about developing his student-athletes - on the diamond, in the classroom and as people. I'm so excited about the future of Texas Softball with Mike leading our program."

"Why not Texas?" White said. "I believe The University of Texas has every resource available to become a national power in softball. The recruiting base in Texas is tremendous, and the plans that Chris Del Conte has for the program and facility upgrades make Texas very appealing. I think it's the right time in my career to make a move. I still have a lot of energy and time left to make an impact, and Texas has the backing and resources to do just that."

"Connie Clark did an amazing job at Texas, especially with the pitchers that she had come through the program," White continued. "From Christa Williams to Cat Osterman to Blaire Luna, she tutored a number of great pitchers. She also had a lot of great hitters over the years. I still remember going through Austin in 2012 and having a true battle to get to the Women's College World Series. What I want to do now is take the solid foundation established by Coach Clark and build on it going forward."

"Personally, I'm tremendously excited to be the head coach at The University of Texas," White said. "My first goal will be to get the current players on board with our vision for Texas Softball. I also need to put together a great coaching staff of people who want to grind along with me to get this program to the top."

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The obligatory complimentary quote to Connie Clark made me want to vomit.

He did see Luna in action in 2012, so I believe him when he talks about what Clark did with her. And also that we made it to the WCWS in 2013 AFTER White picked Luna's pitches, forcing her to change her movement and become a better pitcher to get us to OKC a year later.

But yes, it made me a little rage-y but gotta do it for the only coach we've had. She didn't have a lot of defenders, but I'm sure it made Plonsky feel a little better. Her little fiefdom is down to 3 female coaches.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He did see Luna in action in 2012, so I believe him when he talks about what Clark did with her. And also that we made it to the WCWS in 2013 AFTER White picked Luna's pitches, forcing her to change her movement and become a better pitcher to get us to OKC a year later.

But yes, it made me a little rage-y but gotta do it for the only coach we've had. She didn't have a lot of defenders, but I'm sure it made Plonsky feel a little better. Her little fiefdom is down to 3 female coaches.

Did Plonsky ever hire a male coach?  Did she ever hire a female coach that wasn't gay?

Just curious.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Did Plonsky ever hire a male coach?  Did she ever hire a female coach that wasn't gay?

Just curious.

Dave O'Neill

Howard Joffe

I think Ryan Murphy was kind of foisted upon her since it was internal and he came from the very successful Men's Golf program

Carol Capitani is married to a man, so, not gay

Danielle Lund McNamara was also a straight woman

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dave O'Neill

Howard Joffe

I think Ryan Murphy was kind of foisted upon her since it was internal and he came from the very successful Men's Golf program

Carol Capitani is married to a man, so, not gay

Danielle Lund McNamara was also a straight woman

Well, there ya go.