Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Craig Way on 104.9 just shitting on this ballpark and saying how much better Globe Life would be. 

7-2 Frogs bottom 8 btw.

Globe Life looks to me like a much newer Minute Maid retractable-roof clone, *except* it has air-conditioning *and* heat!

"uncle" Drayton McLane went cheap on the then-Enron Field/Minute Maid Park (which has A/C) and didn't pay for any heating system for it--- which has made for some very cold time for me in the stands watching Texas play in cold college classics games there in the past.  Glad to see Globe Life made sure to have full climate-control, when desired.

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Globe Life looks to me like a much newer Minute Maid retractable-roof clone, *except* it has air-conditioning *and* heat!

"uncle" Drayton McLane went cheap on the then-Enron Field/Minute Maid Park (which has A/C) and didn't pay for any heating system for it--- which has made for some very cold time for me in the stands watching Texas play in cold college classics games there in the past.  Glad to see Globe Life made sure to have full climate-control, when desired.

To be somewhat fair - Dallas is cooler and more seasonal than Houston. 

But yeah - you can still get chilly days in Houston in the spring. 

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I like when they beat the los pinche aggies.

Yeah and rooting for Tech is tough. I guess I'd take TCU over OU as well but those 4 are like bottom of the barrel for me. Any matchup is a good meteor strike candidate. Throw Ohio State in there for good measure. 

Oh and Baylor. 

Edited by ztejas

Rooting for K State in this one will not be difficult, however. Tech goes down and our backdoor title chances dramatic go up. 

@TrashMaster G if so that's good - I used the word "would" because I couldn't tell if those talks were still in the air or not. There will be 5 times as many Horns fans there. Shit, I'd probably be down some years to make a Dallas trip to catch the B12 tourney. I'm never in a million years going to fucking OKC for this exhibition. 

Edited by ztejas

16 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

It's too cold at a baseball game...indoors?  I figured visiting fans would be plenty warm with all of their pent-up hate.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rooting for K State in this one will not be difficult, however. Tech goes down and our backdoor title chances dramatic go up. 

@TrashMaster G if so that's good - I used the word "would" because I couldn't tell if those talks were still in the air or not. There will be 5 times as many Horns fans there. Shit, I'd probably be down some years to make a Dallas trip to catch the B12 tourney. I'm never in a million years going to fucking OKC for this exhibition. 

Yeah, it's locked in to Globe Life for '22, '23 and '24.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, slorch said:

It's too cold at a baseball game...indoors?

LOlz

Bizarre and funny, and true.

Some of the older folks here probably remember that. 30s-40s F outside and cold concrete, seats, everything inside with the roof closed (like being inside a giant fridge), in cold-weather gear, watching Texas play baseball.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sweet. I may actually go. Never have and never will spend a penny in Oklahoma 

I think I went to Winstar twice with my fraternity. In my defense that may not technically be Oklahoma, though. But I have unfortunately crossed that border. 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My sister and her in laws booked a cabin in Broken Bow for Christmas this year. Didn't ask anyone first. I am not thrilled about being obligated to enter that shit hole! Last year was Wimberly. Why cant that just be repeated. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, brojangles2 said:

My sister and her in laws booked a cabin in Broken Bow for Christmas this year. Didn't ask anyone first. I am not thrilled about being obligated to enter that shit hole! Last year was Wimberly. Why cant that just be repeated. 

Don’t go. Like scheduling a wedding ou weekend. Fuck you. I’m not going 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think I went to Winstar twice with my fraternity. In my defense that may not technically be Oklahoma, though. But I have unfortunately crossed that border. 

So that’s why you’re a bit....off

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

On the toll roads, the first $5 to get on makes ya a bit salty.  The $5 later on to GTFO of the state is money well spent.

Of course that's running East-West on Route 66.

13 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Bizarre and funny, and true.

Some of the older folks here probably remember that. 30s-40s F outside and cold concrete, seats, everything inside with the roof closed (like being inside a giant fridge), in cold-weather gear, watching Texas play baseball.

yup. back in 2004 Texas and Rice were both in the MM Classic, and my best friend's older brother played for Rice (his name is Clay Reichenbach, son of 1975 CWS MVP Mickey "Stone Face" Reichenbach). we went down there for the games, and it was 38 degrees and raining every day, and MM Park was an ice box. i have a picture somewhere of Huston Street and me, and i'm in jeans, timbs, and a sweatshirt and Street has his UT jacket on. it was pretty stupid how cold it was in there. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

To be somewhat fair - Dallas is cooler and more seasonal than Houston. 

But yeah - you can still get chilly days in Houston in the spring. 

I blame a cold February series with OU at the Dish for the birth of my first son.  I took my girlfriend there for Sunday's game my Jr. year in February '88.  We snuck in over the visitor bullpen wall (this was years before they put in the razor wire.  Girlfriend thought it would be fun rather than paying-go figure).  We were sitting in the cheap seats bleachers and it was one of the post cold front days that was sunny but cold with a deceptively cold wind. I was appropriately dressed but my girlfriend was wearing a rugby shirt and a miniskirt (hilarious to watch here scale the visitors bullpen wall in a miniskirt).  After awhile she got cold(from drinking the beer I also snuck in) so I went to get some hot chocolate.  Upon my return as I was handing her a cup, I tripped and spilled the hot chocolate all over her.  Sooooo.....we went back to my place and she got undressed and put her stuff in the wash and one thing led to another and next thing you know fast forward to the Wednesday before spring break and she is pregnant, despite being on birth control (health center botched the prescription and Jiggy-Z too manly).

Over time we did the math and timing with cycles etc and were able to pin down the date of conception.  So cold baseball + cold beer + bumbling and strong like bull  Jiggy-Z =son #1.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Does Tech need this for a top 8 or are we thinking they are in already?

Depends on what TCU does I think. Either TCU or Tech will get a top 8.

As in I think if TCU wins this tournament they take Tech's top 8 seed.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Depends on what TCU does I think. Either TCU or Tech will get a top 8.

I think TCU has more work cut out for them though - correct? I'd imagine there's a chance we all 3 get in (obviously Texas is a lock).

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah and rooting for Tech is tough. I guess I'd take TCU over OU as well but those 4 are like bottom of the barrel for me. Any matchup is a good meteor strike candidate. Throw Ohio State in there for good measure. 

Oh and Baylor. 

If you head over to any opposing teams forum you will never pull for them again.

Head over to Inside The Red Raiders and it will make your head hurt, those people genuinely believe to their core that they are a baseball blue blood.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

If you head over to any opposing teams forum you will never pull for them again.

Head over to Inside The Red Raiders and it will make your head hurt, those people genuinely believe to their core that they are a baseball blue blood.

Oh trust me I'm thoroughly enjoying this right now. But I hate TCU. Again - I root for the meteor.

• Hook 'Em 1

And KSt steals 2nd. Just a comedy of errors right now for the Red Raiders. 

Another walk. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 

Hit by pitch. Bases juiced. For the 2nd time this inning. They're going to get run-ruled at this rate. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I think this might cost them the Top 8, imo. Unless TCU loses to KSU again.

Yeah - especially if K State gets drilled in their next one. This is a horrible look right now. Doubleheader or not.