Memorial Day

phdhorn

I have buried a few friends. Lost an entire team in Helmand and I want to remember then tonight. Being Afghans they don't have a day. 

I celebrated well, and here I sit. Simon and Garfunkel is playing, and I tip my glass to all of them. Americans and those who stood with us. 

A rock feels no pain, and an island never cries. I might. Damn I miss my friends. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brakeman said:

i love french fries and america!

This is humbling. Not just the sacrifices that were made by young men who would've experienced some of the most prosperous times in this country had they made it home, but the reverence and gratitude from French citizens almost 80 years later. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ridingtosunset said:

This is humbling. Not just the sacrifices that were made by young men who would've experienced some of the most prosperous times in this country had they made it home, but the reverence and gratitude from French citizens almost 80 years later. 

We pulled in to Toulon France and were there over Bastille day, July 14th  (Their 4th of July equivalent).  They invited various groups from our ship into their homes for personal gatherings and parties, and held a formal ceremony as well which we were invited as honored guests.

Those who remember and honor the sacrifices and bonds are dying and aging out, but the older generation there remembers and definitely honors the sacrifice.

• Like 1

Army Lt Co Barnard Kemter spoke at a Memorial Day event in Hudson, Ohio.

“During his speech, Kemter, whom the Journal reported was the keynote speaker for the event, discussed the history of the holiday, including the discovery of newspaper clippings and handwritten notes that showed a group of freed Black people were among the first to commemorate the holiday following the surrender of the Confederacy.

”The audio was cut on (his) microphone ... shortly after he began discussing the role Black people played in the holiday's origins in an incident that local media report was no accident.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/556607-organizer-cuts-off-veterans-mic-when-he-discusses-role-black?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Posted out of respect for all our veterans, and for the ideals of the country so many died to protect.

image.gif.6549642e7765d7cfc86864118fa2f710.gif

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spellchecked