Getting Across Houston - Headed Either Direction.

ROFL BOX

33 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that stretch of I10 between winnie and the louisiana border has had some part of it under construction every time i can remember driving it.  txdot regional director's BiL is definitely a contractor. 

take it slow until you cross over for sure 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We’re driving from Dallas to Galveston this Friday and of course have to go through/around Houston. My wife wants to leave at noon but I told her that we should leave no later than 10a to avoid Houston’s insane traffic.

I take that traffic is close to pre-pandemic levels correct? Any tips, routes I should avoid or should we leave even earlier? Is 45 leading into Galveston nuts on Friday since that’s a big travel day? Check-in is at 3.

It’s been over 2 years.

Thanks

52 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Hello,

We’re driving from Dallas to Galveston this Friday and of course have to go through/around Houston. My wife wants to leave at noon but I told her that we should leave no later than 10a to avoid Houston’s insane traffic.

I take that traffic is close to pre-pandemic levels correct? Any tips, routes I should avoid or should we leave even earlier? Is 45 leading into Galveston nuts on Friday since that’s a big travel day? Check-in is at 3.

It’s been over 2 years.

Thanks

Traffic will be bad.  Avoid Houston CDB area south to Galveston starting at 2:30 PM.  

Take Hardy Toll Road from just south of The Woodpile all the way to 610 and then turn right to catch I-45 south toward downtown and then on to Galveston, oh, Galveston.

Leaving Dallas at 10 AM should be ok  but you might want to bump it up a bit.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Looking at what was the route on that map (and avoiding tolls), go a bit further north. Take 90 to 1960 to get on 59 at Humble.  Head north past the 99 tollway to 242 (Patton Village) and head west to 1488 (just north of the Woodlands).  Take this west thru Magnolia and then to Hempstead where you can get on 290.  Mix of 2 and 4 lane roads but not many lights and speed limits are at least 60 mph or more most of the way.

That I-10 stretch of construction from Katy to Sealy can be brutal especially during late afternoons...  Do not use 1960 between 59 and 290 as the amount of stoplights is brutal...

(I read the original post backwards so the directions above are from east to west)

Edited by Grimas

25 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Looking at what was the route on that map (and avoiding tolls), go a bit further north. Take 90 to 1960 to get on 59 at Humble.  Head north past the 99 tollway to 242 (Patton Village) and head west to 1488 (just north of the Woodlands).  Take this west thru Magnolia and then to Hempstead where you can get on 290.  Mix of 2 and 4 lane roads but not many lights and speed limits are at least 60 mph or more most of the way.

That I-10 stretch of construction from Katy to Sealy can be brutal especially during late afternoons...  Do not use 1960 between 59 and 290 as the amount of stoplights is brutal...

(I read the original post backwards so the directions above are from east to west)

wtf just go the straightest route, keep an eye on waze. use the hov / toll lanes 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My Wife is 100% adverse to tolls, whether you're tagged or not (& yes, I do recognize the $$ differences if you have a TT), so I'm not up for a solid 9 days of her bitching because I caught a toll on day 1 of the trip.  Plus the added complaints once the bill arrives in the mail.  So obv. there's no TT in the Tahoe that she uses 95% of the time vs. my Ram 2500 that DOES have a tag.

I’d suggest growing a pair and taking the quickest route. If she bitches about it you should suggest that the alternative is to drop you off at IAH and she can pick you up in New Orleans in about 5 hours.

If you live in Dallas, you know about crappy traffic.  Best bet is I45 all the way to Seawall Blvd.  Take the HOV's and toll lanes as needed.  After 10:00 am and before 4:00 pm to avoid traffic.  Follow the signs.  It isn't that bad that you should go out of your way to bypass the direct route.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d recommend the Pierce Elevated. It’s a HOV lane that runs from Eado to Hobby. It’s a little tricky to get to, and you will have to get off 45 to get on it. But it can save an immense amount of time in rush hour. 

15 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Thank you ^^

No one is gonna tell him?

Really?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, luke duke said:

I’d suggest growing a pair and taking the quickest route. If she bitches about it you should suggest that the alternative is to drop you off at IAH and she can pick you up in New Orleans in about 5 hours.

It's not just the road time, but spending that time together...

On 6/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Brisketexan said:

Or -- and I'm just throwing this out as a madcap plan -- tell your wife enough of this "no tolls" bullshit.  Some parts of the state are designed to have to use toll roads.  It is cheaper than flying, or idling in traffic and losing an hour.  The cost-benefit for using toll roads in the Houston area pays off.

Or tell the wife that the institution of marriage is a toll road in of itself. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The I 10 east - 146 route to Galveston always seems needlessly out of the way to me. It only makes sense if you can’t leave until noon on Memorial Day. I’d rather get up at 6 am and take 45. 

Unless your destination is scenic Crystal Beach.  Is anywhere in America more aptly named?

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The I 10 east - 146 route to Galveston always seems needlessly out of the way to me. It only makes sense if you can’t leave until noon on Memorial Day. I’d rather get up at 6 am and take 45. 

only take this route if you want to stop at gillhoeye's