Getting Across Houston - Headed Either Direction.

ROFL BOX

Headed from 78620 to the East Coast via New Orleans (destination Charleston, Souf Caroline... & none of y'all assholes have responded to my most recent post in that thread).

Thinking this route as detailed to avoid all the typical Houston hassles.  Anticipate connecting to I-1- in the Boremont area.

More than likely this isn't accurate on time (approx. 8-1/2 hours) as pretty much any time other than 0300 is a beating to get across town.  The common option is to connect with I-10 in Columbus, however as I have gotten older, I recognize the bullshittery that is getting tied up in Houston during daytime hours.

Shag² opinions?

image.png

just follow waze. what time will you be driving through Houston ?  once you get past downtown, I10 is wide open. do you have a toll tag ?  I10 has dedicated HoV lanes from Katy to 610. 

i would be much more concerned with I10 past beaumont (it's all tore up and one wreck shuts 100% down), lake charles and your biggest concern is baton rouge. BR can be a complete cluster fuck of epic proportions 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

That is a pretty good route.  You obviously want to avoid any surface roads as they will be full of lights.  That stretch of 99 is much better than down by Katy, and Hardy is almost always free of traffic, especially around the time you describe.  I like the 90 route typically, but I-10 is fine east of Houston until you get to Beaumont.  Too bad you will be too late to try 1701 BBQ in Beaumont.

• Like 1

I'm saving the Q options (unless it's a quick pulled pork or chopped beef @ a drive through) for Charleston & trying to see if John Lewis remembers me from his time suffering through John Mueller & my camper that was onsite @ the South 1st location for 9 months.

Looking @ either BnB options or Hotels.com for New Orleans (would prefer to stay with family in Gonzalez, but they are being non-Shag like assholes).

For N.O., both me & the boy are definitely up for the Museum of WW II, but the wife & daughter not so much (& the wife isn't really the shopping type).  Daughter would buy whatever esp. when it's someone else's money... like Dad). That sorta eliminates the idea of cutting them loose to do French Quarter Market while I get the museum.

The aquarium is a definite interest as well, however I don't know what it compares to like the Texas State version in Corpus (we've been 4x).

I might very well stick to the Northern slot for the 290 Eastbound to HOU run & take 71 to 21 just W of Bastrop & end up connecting to 290 from there for the Eastern push.

On the way back W, we will probably run a Northern route to connect to Southern Arky & catch family in the Smackover / Magnolia region, thereby ignoring HOU altogether & run 79 SW from Shreveport.

Monster wants to run by the Nashville area on the way back W to see a former classmate & Scout friend, however I think that's a bit too far N of a push & is maybe 5 ~ 6 hours added; time we won't have.

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

just follow waze. what time will you be driving through Houston ?  once you get past downtown, I10 is wide open. do you have a toll tag ?  I10 has dedicated HoV lanes from Katy to 610. 

i would be much more concerned with I10 past beaumont (it's all tore up and one wreck shuts 100% down), lake charles and your biggest concern is baton rouge. BR can be a complete cluster fuck of epic proportions 

My Wife is 100% adverse to tolls, whether you're tagged or not (& yes, I do recognize the $$ differences if you have a TT), so I'm not up for a solid 9 days of her bitching because I caught a toll on day 1 of the trip.  Plus the added complaints once the bill arrives in the mail.  So obv. there's no TT in the Tahoe that she uses 95% of the time vs. my Ram 2500 that DOES have a tag.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My Wife is 100% adverse to tolls, whether you're tagged or not (& yes, I do recognize the $$ differences if you have a TT), so I'm not up for a solid 9 days of her bitching because I caught a toll on day 1 of the trip.  Plus the added complaints once the bill arrives in the mail.  So obv. there's no TT in the Tahoe that she uses 95% of the time vs. my Ram 2500 that DOES have a tag.

Seems like you’re fucked then. 99 is a tollway. So is the Hardy leading back down to 610 on your route. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

image.png

I would follow Grand Parkway all the way over to 59 in Humble and down to FM 1960 and shoot east.  Before we moved, that was an area I worked a lot.  I would not normally suggest that route  for getting across H-town, except that it ties in with your proposed route and improves it, IMHO.    That's with no consideration of sights/ eateries.

Edit: if tolls are an issue, your initial proposal is a no-go.

Edited by slorch

I did not know this was the wife and stupid things they do thread. That changes your route.

Now you need to take 290 to I-10 and just suck it up all the way to Beaumont. Or 71 to 10 and do the same.

Do not get on 1960 and try to go across Houston. Also, don’t try to Beltway 8 (the feeder road for the Sam Houston Toll Road). The lights will kill you.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

After all of this discussion, there's gonna be a water buffalo jackknifed on the I-10 bridge in Beaumont and all of this time savings will be for naught.

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

After all of this discussion, there's gonna be a water buffalo jackknifed on the I-10 bridge in Beaumont and all of this time savings will be for naught.

If that happens take the exit of highway 12 (Mauriceville, Deweyville, Starks, DeQuinncey) then peel off where needed.  12 is slower posted speed but open and usually not much traffic.

This. You’re also really overthinking this in general. Unless you’re going through at rush hour, one of 610 or 10 will be moving fine to get through town and not have to take a crazy indirect route.

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I'm here wondering why you tell us your wife is opposed to tolls AFTER you posted a route with toll roads.  Google Maps has a "avoid toll roads" option. 

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Get a toll tag, lot of cashless tolls in Houston 

i10 has dedicated hov lanes 

This.  Time for the wife to see the light.  There are some places you will travel in Texas where taking a toll road is an absolute necessity.  Houston is one of them.

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Why? And why do you actually take that into consideration?

• Like 1

Honestly, you're just rolling the dice with IH 10 between Houston and the LA state line no matter which way you're headed. I give you a 10% chance of that route being completely trouble free in either direction, time of day does not matter.

Living in Beaumont and going to Houston several times a month, I take Highway 90 almost exclusively and will continue to do so until the highway construction is complete.

Headed east from Austin I would just take 290 in to Beltway 8 and then over to 90.

The issue with Waze/Google Maps is that it gives you the most efficient route until it's not, then it will troll you with "+60 minute delay" adviseries while you sit in standstill traffic.

Holiday weekend traffic is what fucks up IH 10 in Louisiana, particularly BR.  Those are the worst. You will sit on that Mississippi River bridge for a while, guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

His wife doesn’t allow him to use toll roads. Do 610 instead of Beltway 8. You will hit 2 dozen lights in the beltway.

Or -- and I'm just throwing this out as a madcap plan -- tell your wife enough of this "no tolls" bullshit.  Some parts of the state are designed to have to use toll roads.  It is cheaper than flying, or idling in traffic and losing an hour.  The cost-benefit for using toll roads in the Houston area pays off.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m firmly in the anti-toll camp, but every vehicle in the garage has the little sticker underneath the rear view mirror because if you live in a large city in Texas you have to bite the bullet from time to time.  I’m not that familiar with Houston, but the $5 I spend to avoid traveling on LBJ in Dallas is worth it every fucking time.

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That is a pretty good route.  You obviously want to avoid any surface roads as they will be full of lights.  That stretch of 99 is much better than down by Katy, and Hardy is almost always free of traffic, especially around the time you describe.  I like the 90 route typically, but I-10 is fine east of Houston until you get to Beaumont.  Too bad you will be too late to try 1701 BBQ in Beaumont.

That stretch of 99 from 45 to 290 is like the fucking autobahn.  If you ain't going 99, you're going too slow. 

Now that I know his route I'll find an interesting spot to plant an IED and eliminate the competition.
Stay tuned.

May I suggest the Highway 6 ramp near Hempstead? Controlled demolition charges bring down the overpass, squashing your competitor, but more importantly, will also slow down the flow of Aggy out of B/CS headed to Houston.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Or -- and I'm just throwing this out as a madcap plan -- tell your wife enough of this "no tolls" bullshit.  Some parts of the state are designed to have to use toll roads.  It is cheaper than flying, or idling in traffic and losing an hour.  The cost-benefit for using toll roads in the Houston area pays off.

Sounds like it's time for a new wife.

Or no wife.

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

290 to 610 to 90 anytime after 10:00 am and before 4:00 pm is the ticket to Houston with no tolls.  Personally I would hit I10 eastbound myself, though I've never been on that stretch of 90 east of Houston.

I've long ago bitten the bullet on the toll tag, now don't even think about it.  Couldn't drive in Houston without it.  I even take the toll lanes on I10 on Sunday mornings.

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Surly wants you to take the truck so you can load up coolers full of boudin from Best Stop in Scott, LA on your way back.   You don’t have a hair on your ass if you don’t. 

1st gear needs some mech. work ("bands need tightening" is what all the professionals in various Facebook groups tell me) & the ride is more comfortable in the Tahoe.

Also, it might be the heat but some of y'all keep forgetting that we are going through the N end of Lousy-Anna on the way back & I sure as hell ain't headed down SE to Lafayette Parish to get vittles during that L-ward trip or running 9 days with that stuff in a cooler 'cause I got it when we shot E.

24 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

1st gear needs some mech. work ("bands need tightening" is what all the professionals in various Facebook groups tell me) & the ride is more comfortable in the Tahoe.

Also, it might be the heat but some of y'all keep forgetting that we are going through the N end of Lousy-Anna on the way back & I sure as hell ain't headed down SE to Lafayette Parish to get vittles during that L-ward trip or running 9 days with that stuff in a cooler 'cause I got it when we shot E.

Take your excuses elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

Well, I won't be taking them to the Atlantic Ocean that's for certain.

Have a good trip.  

Keep the shiny side up.

Don't buy the 50 cent bubble gum in the truck stop men's restroom. You can blow gigantic bubbles with it but it tastes terrible.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There's construction on 10 from Sealy all the way to the Igloo Factory in Brookshire. There's also a 20 mile construction zone outside of Beaumont. You're one stalled vehicle from gridlock in either construction zones. 

Good luck. 

Which side of Boremont?  The R or L side?