Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

24 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I know this is something you guys have a hard time grasping,  but our program is a national brand. so you can't make 1:1 comparisons. That said, I think jimbo baggins will sign a top 10-15 class with 6+ wins. Charlies records DID negatively impact his recruiting.  You think a guy recruiting out of his mind would barely sign a top 10 class at Texas if he won 9+ games? 

I think you overestimate how important a "national brand" is to a 17 year old kid, versus the relationship building talent of the coach(es) recruiting him.

If a kid grows up in a UT household it's gonna have an impact.  For that matter, same deal if he grows up in an Aggie family.

If he's got no allegiances either way, it's gonna come down to who does the best job closing him. And "we won a championship when you were five years old" isn't gonna seal the deal.

It's sales.

And despite your childish condescension, I'm not here to talk shit.  My point is simply that, again, fans tend to overestimate the impact of a season on the subsequent recruiting class.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I think you overestimate how important a "national brand" is to a 17 year old kid, versus the relationship building talent of the coach(es) recruiting him.

Lane Kiffin's staff at FAU is full of tremendous recruiters - he and Baby Briles are two of the best in the game. He's still only pulling in mostly 3-stars and rounding his class out with 2-stars.

At a higher level look at Oregon with Taggert and Cristobal - two 100% elite recruiters. Still almost all 3-stars. The brand matters.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Lane Kiffin's staff at FAU is full of tremendous recruiters - he and Baby Briles are two of the best in the game. He's still only pulling in mostly 3-stars and rounding his class out with 2-stars.

At a higher level look at Oregon with Taggert and Cristobal - two 100% elite recruiters. Still almost all 3-stars. The brand matters.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter.  And the further you move along the spectrum toward the extremes, the more relevant it'll become, as in the case of a school like FAU.

Brian Perroni 63062 posts

Texas A&M now has 11 commitments and the nation’s No. 2 overall class. However, the Aggies are still predicted to land quite a few more very highly-ranked prospects. Here is a look at where things stand with every position at the moment.

QUARTERBACK 
A&M basically has two outstanding offers at the position – Grant Gunnell and Jayden Daniels. Gunnell was at Arizona this past weekend and will be at Ohio State this coming weekend. A&M is not out of it but, right now, the main three schools would be Oklahoma State, Oregon and Ohio State. Daniels has offers from all over but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him schedule a visit to A&M.

OC and QB coach Darrell Dickey is on the road doing evals now that the spring evaluation period has begun. The Aggies have been watching San Antonio Jay’s Jacob Zeno closely and he would be very interested if offered. Baylor is the leader at the moment. Rockwall QB Jacob Clark has not heard from A&M yet but is another player that would be very interested. A&M also likes the tape of Coltin Clack from Texas High and plans to see him throw as he is coming off a shoulder injury.

RUNNING BACK 
A&M signed four players in 2018 that it has pegged for the position but the Aggies are still after several guys in the 2019 class.

A&M legacy Isaiah Spiller recently decommitted from Oklahoma, though the state’s top back is still considering the Sooners. However, he has always liked A&M and has been in contact with the new staff ever since they arrived. There’s a good chance he ends up on the commitment list at some point, though Oklahoma should not be counted out.

The question would then become whether the Aggies would take two pure running backs. Katy four-star Deondrick Glass is not in any hurry but he has shown interest in A&M, having attended the Super Bowl junior day. Like most Katy prospects, he will likely wait until very late to make a decision.

Amarillo Tascosa’s King Doerue is another player that A&M likes a lot and he made it back to campus again for the spring game. I think he will see a ton more offers during the spring eval period. Right now, he really likes both A&M and Texas Tech. Doerue’s school is not a recruiting hotbed and he is still very new to the process so he is not in a hurry to make a decision either.

A&M has also offered Detroit Cass Tech four-star athlete Jaren Mangham as a running back, though he could potentially play linebacker. Though his mom ran track for A&M and he recently made an unofficial visit, Michigan State will be tough to beat.

WIDE RECEIVER 
The Aggies now have three commitments in Kam Brown, Kenyon Jackson and Chase Lane. That makes numbers a bit tight going forward. However, there is still room.

A&M has made a ton of offers to out-of-state burners at the position so you can bet that Dameyune Craigwould love to add more speed to the equation. The in-state targets, though, are some bigger wideouts.

A&M is after Fort Worth Southwest’s Nnamdi Adim-Madumere, Austin Bowie’s Elijah Higgins and West Mesquite’s Dylan Wright with Adim-Madumere being the best shot for the Aggies of the bunch. A&M has let the targets know they still want a “big, fast receiver” and all three fit that mold of solid speed for a bigger wideout.

TIGHT END 
A&M picked up its top overall target at the position last week in Brock’s Baylor Cupp. The Aggies absolutely love him and feel he’s the No. 1 tight end in the country.

A&M will continue recruiting others as well with Dickinson’s Jalen Wydermyer being the guy they are high on. He was in Aggieland for the spring game and is the teammate of 2018 wide receiver signee Montel Parker. He is also high on Georgia, LSU and Miami and will likely take official visits to all four places before making a decision.

OFFENSIVE LINE 
A&M does not have any commitments on the line for the class of 2019 just yet but the Aggies look like they could put together a truly special class at the position.

A&M is still the favorite for five-star Atascocita tackle Kenyon Green, the state’s top-ranked overall player. He has come close to shutting things down a couple times and will likely make a summer decision.

The Aggies are also in good shape with Houston North Forest four-star tackle Javonne Shepherd, though Texas and Alabama have both piqued his interest as well. Alabama could be a real threat but I don’t think he goes that far in the end. The Tide are very high on him, though. Shepherd had planned to make a June decision but does not have a time frame now.

Some were a bit surprised when Katy Taylor’s Andrew Coker did not immediately commit when offered at the spring game. He does plan to make a decision next month, though. This one is an A&M/TCU battle. The Frogs shouldn’t be counted out but the Aggies have a ton going for them and have landed a ton of players at his school as of late.

A&M also offered Hallsville tackle Blake Trainor at the spring game and he is a take as well. The 6-foot-7, 280-pound junior holds a half-dozen offers but the Aggies are his only Power Five one. However, his coach expects a ton more to come in this spring. Trainor does not seem close to committing anywhere at this point.

Mammoth Wellington tackle Trevor Robersonofficially visited earlier this month and did the same to Arkansas two weekends ago. This will be an A&M, Arkansas and Tech battle with a lot of people thinking he will stay close to home and play for the Red Raiders.

Crandall four-star Branson Bragg is the top interior target and was at the Aggie spring game. However, Texas and Stanford are both also in good shape with him and it will be a bit of an uphill battle.

The Aggies hosted a pair of Florida teammates in Adrian Medley and Hunter Rayburn but Clemson and Florida, respectively, will be tough to beat for the duo. Florida State also recently offered Rayburn so both have Seminole offers as well.

DEFENSIVE LINE 
A&M picked up what some consider to be the state’s top prospect last week in DeMarvin Leal from Converse Judson. The 6-foot-4, 280-pound junior will likely be a tackle but is being recruited as an end and wants to at least start out there. The Aggies also have a commitment from a good pass-rusher in Katy Taylor four-star end Braedon Mowry and one of the state’s top tackles in four-star Josh Ellison of A&M Consolidated.

Katy Mayde Creek defensive end Marcus Stripling is high on the Aggies and it seems like only a matter of time before the 6-foot-3, 265-pound four-star defender commits. Oklahoma is the main competition at the moment.

Staying in Katy ISD, Seven Lakes high three-star defensive end David Ugwoegbu is also high on the Aggies. An intriguing and a bit raw prospect, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound junior has an impressive offer list due to his athleticism. He couldn’t make the spring game because of work so he drove up for an Aggie practice earlier in the week.

At end, Brooklyn four-star Adisa Isaac officially visited the spring game weekend but Penn State is going to be tough to beat for him. The Aggies also have a pair of offers out to Louisiana prospects Myron Warrenand Earl Barquet with both having made unofficial visits this spring.

At tackle, the Aggies are in a good spot with national top-100 prospect Jaquaze Sorrells out of Florida. He made his way to A&M on an unofficial visit this spring and will likely be back on an official at some point. It is going to be tough to pull such a highly-ranked player from a state that every school in the country recruits but Sorrells is very interested in the Aggies.

The nation’s No. 4 overall prospect, Ishmael Sopsherout of Louisiana, visited for the spring game but he is likely headed to either LSU or Alabama. Gio Paez out of North Carolina is very interested in A&M, though, and still plans to unofficially visit soon.

LINEBACKER 
This position is the biggest question mark right now. Dayton’s RJ Orebo is committed but the 6-foot-6, 215-pound junior could grow into a defensive end.

The top in-state target is four-star David Gbenda of Katy Cinco Ranch. The Aggies have done well in Katy ISD recently and Gbenda has A&M in his top three, along with Texas and TCU. Most have him pegged as an eventual Texas commit but he is honestly still very open. He will take his officials during the season and hopes to have a decision made by the early signing period.

A&M saw Atascocita’s Tyrone Brown commit to Baylor last week but, with Green also being at the school, they will still see him plenty of times.

The Aggies are going to have to look out of state, though. Five-star Brandon Smith from Virginia officially visited this past weekend but he does not seem likely to end up an Aggie. LSU commit Zach Edwards from Mississippi has talked about unofficially visited at some point but he likely sticks with the Tigers.

The main out-of-state prospects that have shown reciprocal interest are Spencer Lytle of California, Kane Patterson of Tennessee and junior college prospect Lakia Henry, who has A&M in his top five.

DEFENSIVE BACK 
A&M has the state’s top two safeties committed in five-star Brian Williams and four-star Demani Richardson and is likely done at that spot.

That leaves cornerback. The Aggies had a trio of four-stars – Houston Madison’s Bobby Wolfe, Fort Bend Bush’s Erick Young and Aledo’s Jeffery Carter – in for official visits on the spring game weekend. Wolfe is a one-time Aggie pledge and a lot of people think he will end up back in the fold when all is said and done.

Young looks to be a battle between A&M and Oklahoma. The Sooners likely had the edge going into the visit but it is pretty even now. He and Wolfe had long said they planned to play together but they have both backed off that lately and say they’ll make their own decisions.

Prior to an unofficial visit to Oregon this past weekend, Carter was an A&M/OU battle with the Aggies holding the lead. The Ducks have made things interesting and he publicly said they were his leader. However, it does not seem likely he heads that far from home, even if he does surprise a bit and make a commitment. Carter plans to announce his top group tomorrow but has no decision date set. In the long run, A&M is still in good shape.

Spring Dekaney’s Marcus Banks has an official visit planned for this coming weekend, two weeks after also making it to the spring game. However, he also has an official to Texas for the weekend after and the Longhorns have long felt very good about landing him.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

A&M basically has two outstanding offers at the position – Grant Gunnell and Jayden Daniels. Gunnell was at Arizona this past weekend and will be at Ohio State this coming weekend. A&M is not out of it but, right now, the main three schools would be Oklahoma State, Oregon and Ohio State. Daniels has offers from all over but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him schedule a visit to A&M.

I find it odd that Perroni never mentions LSU or Arkansas when talking Gunnell, and seems to be the only guy who ever mentions Oklahoma State.

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

I find it odd that Perroni never mentions LSU or Arkansas when talking Gunnell, and seems to be the only guy who ever mentions Oklahoma State.

Also interesting that Hamm is claiming Gunnell ends up at aggy while Perroni says there's no chance. They're definitely not getting their information from the same bathroom sources.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Also interesting that Hamm is claiming Gunnell ends up at aggy while Perroni says there's no chance. They're definitely not getting their information from the same bathroom sources.

So glad we got our QB already and so glad Tom signed two blue chippers last year. Don't have to stress about this.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

So glad we got our QB already and so glad Tom signed two blue chippers last year. Don't have to stress about this.

Brace yourself for next year, where we have to decide whether or not a Lake Travis kid that will likely have gaudy stats is our QB take. It's going to be a nightmare, even if we get the dream take in Bryce Young.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Brace yourself for next year, where we have to decide whether or not a Lake Travis kid that will likely have gaudy stats is our QB take. It's going to be a nightmare, even if we get the dream take in Bryce Young.

I can just see Longhorn94 and CTJ bitching at each other now... Wait. What's that? Oh, you mean I am actually seeing that right now in the 2019 thread. Oh ok.

15 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I could see his helicopter dad pushing him towards whichever team of the bunch has the clearest avenue towards early playing time

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I won't be sweating it. If Tom can nail QB evals, then that will give him much more margin for error in other areas. Sorry, this is the A&M thread.

Jimbo needs to sign a stud this year. I hope he goes with an immobile pocket passer.

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

I could see his helicopter dad pushing him towards whichever team of the bunch has the clearest avenue towards early playing time

the helicopter dad is an Aggy-created myth and utter bullshit. Not saying his old man isn't a pain in the ass but this idea that he's steering and controlling this recruitmentand that he is the reason Gunnell isn't still an Aggy is fallacy, he isn't at Aggy because Jimbo continued to talk out of both sides of his mouth in terms of dual-threat QBs. Period. If his dad was fully in control of his recruitment he'd already be committed to Arky.  (or he'd have grabbed tOSU spot the moment it was offered, though I guess he could pull the trigger up there this weekend).  

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the helicopter dad is an Aggy-created myth and utter bullshit. Not saying his old man isn't a pain in the ass but this idea that he's steering and controlling this recruitmentand that he is the reason Gunnell isn't still an Aggy is fallacy, he isn't at Aggy because Jimbo continued to talk out of both sides of his mouth in terms of dual-threat QBs. Period. If his dad was fully in control of his recruitment he'd already be committed to Arky.  (or he'd have grabbed tOSU spot the moment it was offered, though I guess he could pull the trigger up there this weekend).  

His dad being known as a helicopter dad predates him being an aggy commit. Was I overstating his influence? Perhaps, maybe I should have said nudge or advise instead of push. Also, there are different degrees of helicopter dads, and some can be mostly harmless while others can torpedo program. Again, perhaps I'm off on his influence here, although I haven't read anyone yet who seems to have a great beat on this recruitment. I do find it very interesting, and hope he ends up at Arkansas, rather than at A&M, tOSU, or LSU. 

Just now, Fud said:

His dad being known as a helicopter dad predates him being an aggy commit. Was I overstating his influence? Perhaps, maybe I should have said nudge or advise instead of push. Also, there are different degrees of helicopter dads, and some can be mostly harmless while others can torpedo program. Again, perhaps I'm off on his influence here, although I haven't read anyone yet who seems to have a great beat on this recruitment. I do find it very interesting, and hope he ends up at Arkansas, rather than at A&M, tOSU, or LSU. 

Oh yeah. Pops is a pain in the ass but he's not the reason that Grant isn't at Aggy. For sure. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at tOSU - just looking at how QBs are lining up around the country. Having said that, I'd love for him to be at Arky - for the LULZ short and long-term. 

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Sure seems that way:

Have you never been around women? You classify "bitching at" in a way that makes it seem that way. I mean, I've bitched at Longhorn94 before, and numerous others, for sure. I just don't think the stuff on that other thread is anything more than bs'ing at the most.

If you need real invective, I can get you real invective. Believe me. There are ways, UT Lawnghorn - You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you real invective by 3 o'clock this afternoon … with bitching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Have you never been around women? You classify "bitching at" in a way that makes it seem that way. I mean, I've bitched at Longhorn94 before, and numerous others, for sure. I just don't think the stuff on that other thread is anything more than bs'ing at the most.

If you need real invective, I can get you real invective. Believe me. There are ways, UT Lawnghorn - You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you real invective by 3 o'clock this afternoon … with bitching.

Lulz. Idk what all that was. Things were seeming a little too chummy on this board, so I figured I’d poke the bear and it looks like it’s worked.

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I heard Candi had a yeast invection.  And she's certainly highly contagious, if you're trying to figure out where you can contract some bitchy invection before close of business today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I heard Candi had a yeast invection.  And she's certainly highly contagious, if you're trying to figure out where you can contract some bitchy invection before close of business today.

invection + contagious...   convection oven?

I’m stunned that per perroni, all the aggy leans are heavy aggy leans who are a cunt hair away from shutting things down in the aggy favor, while all the Texas leans are actually still wide open and aggy has plenty of time to make up ground in these recruitments. What darned rotten luck for us. 
Nothing left for us but some all district (first team) diamonds in the rough

On 4/23/2018 at 11:53 PM, texifornia said:

On 4/24/2018 at 12:18 AM, Augustus said:

I'm not saying it doesn't matter.  And the further you move along the spectrum toward the extremes, the more relevant it'll become, as in the case of a school like FAU.

you two gents read this yet? plenty of salient points:

http://picksixpreviews.com/how_to_win_in_recruiting.html

(got the link via the Save Kansas Football web site that a KU fan posted over on the football forum).

• Like 1