2003 redux?

mdmost

What this stupid thread presupposes is what if we're going through a carbon copy of Texas' 2003 season? 

Bear with me here as that was a long time ago and details may be fuzzy. 

2003 was quite the transitional year for the program. We lost a firmly entrenched QB that was controversial to a portion of the fanbase who couldn't deliver us to the promised land. He was replaced by two young, inexperienced QBs. One was the better practice QB though it was obvious he wasn't going to be the guy. The other was more raw and athletic. Not quite the 1:1 of our present QBs given Casey has a lot more experience than VY did as a redshirt freshman. We had a great RB who was the focal point of the offense.

We started the season off with a convincing win over a neighboring state school that was massively overmatched. We then followed that win with an embarrassing loss to Arkansas. Next week, Rice. 

Probably means we're getting blown out by OU before recovering to win our games.

But if we win out, we're assured a nice Pac 12 matchup in a bowl game against a team that will want it more than us. We're currently penciled in to play in the Alamo Bowl. 

Now, holes in my argument, Mack had multiple years under his belt. Sark has none. Mack had future championship players on that team. Yeah, Sark probably doesn't have that. Unlike 2003, the Big 12 doesn't suck and any number of the teams on our schedule could beat us like Iowa State, oSu, WVU, and KSU. So we're not going 10-3 but I'd love to be wrong. The talent of 2003 isn't on this 2021 team. Not by a long shot. That said, Nebraska and KSU of 2003 were both 10 win teams and KSU won the Big 12 that year over OU. 

https://texassports.com/sports/football/schedule/2003

• New Mexico State University Logo
    AUG 31 (SUN)

AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 66-7

• University of Arkansas Logo
    SEP 13 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

L, 38-28

• Rice University Logo
    SEP 20 (SAT)

AT 
    HOUSTON, TEXAS

W, 48-7

• Tulane University Logo
    SEP 27 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 63-18

• Kansas State University Logo
    OCT 4 (SAT)

AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 24-20

• Oklahoma University Logo
    OCT 11 (SAT)

DALLAS, TEXAS

L, 13-65

• Iowa State
    OCT 18 (SAT)

AT 
    AMES, IOWA

W, 40-19

• Baylor University Logo
    OCT 25 (SAT)

AT 
    WACO, TEXAS

W, 56-0

• University of Nebraska Logo
    NOV 1 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 31-7

• Oklahoma State University Logo
    NOV 8 (SAT)

STILLWATER, OKLA.

W, 55-16

• Texas Tech University Logo
    NOV 15 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 43-40

• Texas A&M University Logo
    NOV 28 (FRI)

AT 
    COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS

W, 46-15

• DEC 30 (TUE)

WASHINGTON STATE
    SAN DIEGO, CALIF.

L, 20-28
Edited by mdmost
  • Fuck You 1

It's not evident in the records yet but the Big 12 does kind of suck this year.

I've long maintained ISU is going to come back to earth a bit this year and that looks right as of yesterday (although Arkansas's gameplan last night is similar to Heacock's defense and does not portend well for that particular matchup). OSU has scratched and clawed against Tulsa and some 1AA team. TCU may have their worst defense under Patterson (though they still can also probably replicate the Arkansas gameplan of whipping Texas's OL and then running down their throats). KSU beat Stanford, we don't really know how good of a win that is, and played close with a FCS team yesterday. WVU lost to Maryland. Tech and Baylor are still Tech and Baylor, and have both struggled with FCS teams. Kansas is Kansas. 

OU is probably going 9-0 and will beat this Texas team by 21+. Beyond that, there are four or five teams with legitimate aspirations of finishing second, Texas included. A 10-3 type year is still at the optimistic end of legitimately possible outcomes, though I don't see it at this point.

Good point. The problem though is the rest of the Big 12 is closer in talent level to 2021 Texas whereas 2003 Texas was miles ahead of the rest in terms of sheer talent. OU was always more about scheme, wanting it more, and knowing exactly how to beat us. Arkansas that year seemed to be the same kind of taking them lightly combined with green players. 2003 Arkansas was a better squad than 2021 Arkansas if I remember right. 

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

He’s no Vince Young

matt-damon-oceans.gif

I think what got this lodged in my dumb dumb head was the announcers bringing up 2003's loss last night. I think that was another Houston Nutt horns down special. Then I looked back at the schedule for that year and it clicked a bit. 

Just now, mdmost said:

matt-damon-oceans.gif

I think what got this lodged in my dumb dumb head was the announcers bringing up 2003's loss last night. I think that was another Houston Nutt horns down special. Then I looked back at the schedule for that year and it clicked a bit. 

I understand clutching for hope. And I hope you’re correct. But you aren’t.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

wasn't VY a 1.000 rated QB recruit? The only one ever or some shit?

Yeah, I wasn't being serious about that. VY is a once in a generation talent that almost didn't come to be because FU Greg Davis couldn't pull his head out of his ass fast enough. 

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What this stupid thread presupposes is what if we're going through a carbon copy of Texas' 2003 season? 

Bear with me here as that was a long time ago and details may be fuzzy. 

2003 was quite the transitional year for the program. We lost a firmly entrenched QB that was controversial to a portion of the fanbase who couldn't deliver us to the promised land. He was replaced by two young, inexperienced QBs. One was the better practice QB though it was obvious he wasn't going to be the guy. The other was more raw and athletic. Not quite the 1:1 of our present QBs given Casey has a lot more experience than VY did as a redshirt freshman. We had a great RB who was the focal point of the offense.

We started the season off with a convincing win over a neighboring state school that was massively overmatched. We then followed that win with an embarrassing loss to Arkansas. Next week, Rice. 

Probably means we're getting blown out by OU before recovering to win our games.

But if we win out, we're assured a nice Pac 12 matchup in a bowl game against a team that will want it more than us. We're currently penciled in to play in the Alamo Bowl. 

Now, holes in my argument, Mack had multiple years under his belt. Sark has none. Mack had future championship players on that team. Yeah, Sark probably doesn't have that. Unlike 2003, the Big 12 doesn't suck and any number of the teams on our schedule could beat us like Iowa State, oSu, WVU, and KSU. So we're not going 10-3 but I'd love to be wrong. The talent of 2003 isn't on this 2021 team. Not by a long shot. That said, Nebraska and KSU of 2003 were both 10 win teams and KSU won the Big 12 that year over OU. 

https://texassports.com/sports/football/schedule/2003

• New Mexico State University Logo
    AUG 31 (SUN)

AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 66-7

• University of Arkansas Logo
    SEP 13 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

L, 38-28

• Rice University Logo
    SEP 20 (SAT)

AT 
    HOUSTON, TEXAS

W, 48-7

• Tulane University Logo
    SEP 27 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 63-18

• Kansas State University Logo
    OCT 4 (SAT)

AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 24-20

• Oklahoma University Logo
    OCT 11 (SAT)

DALLAS, TEXAS

L, 13-65

• Iowa State
    OCT 18 (SAT)

AT 
    AMES, IOWA

W, 40-19

• Baylor University Logo
    OCT 25 (SAT)

AT 
    WACO, TEXAS

W, 56-0

• University of Nebraska Logo
    NOV 1 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 31-7

• Oklahoma State University Logo
    NOV 8 (SAT)

STILLWATER, OKLA.

W, 55-16

• Texas Tech University Logo
    NOV 15 (SAT)

VS 
    AUSTIN, TEXAS

W, 43-40

• Texas A&M University Logo
    NOV 28 (FRI)

AT 
    COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS

W, 46-15

• DEC 30 (TUE)

WASHINGTON STATE
    SAN DIEGO, CALIF.

L, 20-28

I thought it feels more like a mesh of the 2000/01 seasons.  A mix of 2000 where we opened against ULaLa then got plunked by Stanford in game 2, QB controversy, though 2001 we had a young badass RB named Ced and an incoming raw but talented alpha QB who turned out pretty good.  

now we have to find out next Studdard/Blalock, Wright/Okam, another couple griffin brothers, and see if Arron Harris has any eligibility left because he was a mean motherfucker.  

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I thought it feels more like a mesh of the 2000/01 seasons.  A mix of 2000 where we opened against ULaLa then got plunked by Stanford in game 2, QB controversy, though 2001 we had a young badass RB named Ced and an incoming raw but talented alpha QB who turned out pretty good.  

now we have to find out next Studdard/Blalock, Wright/Okam, another couple griffin brothers, and see if Arron Harris has any eligibility left because he was a mean motherfucker.  

I said to mdleast as we were watching the postgame on LHN, "just how badly do you think Michael Griffin wants to take a blowtorch to these pussy players". Even Fozzy has to be disgusted with the pitiful effort he sees year after year. 

Maybe more like 1996 with a great sophomore RB, our coach has about the same demeanor and we are probably looking at similar records at the end of year.  

That was out first year in the B12 while this is likely our last, and it’s conceivable we have another new coach in the next couple years