Google employees quitting over Skynet

F250

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Doesn't look like Google had anything to do with this, but:

A Military Drone With A Mind Of Its Own Was Used In Combat, U.N. Says

And then this:

So, 38 percent support killer robots or are unsure/don't know/no opinion... We're fucked.

2 ways to look at it.  is this really that much of a leap between firing a smart missile?  you program it to seek the position chosen.  It flies to that position and then does its damnedest to deliver its payload to that position.

With the drone, you would tell it fly into a location.  Then give it parameters on firing/releasing payload.  It's not (for now) coming up with its own parameters.  If it's told to shoot people with boomer sooner tattooed on their forearm, it will keep going until no more targets meet that criteria.  It is not checking back with base after each target acquisition, but just executing to its parameters.  it's not suddenly going to think 'you know what, those cocksuckers from aggyland need to die as well' and start firing at them.

this is a weak sauce argument for it, but theoretically you could have it only target people that are holding weapons or have it not shoot kids by putting those parameters in its mission programming.  

The other way to look at it is that this is a horrible advancement in weaponizing drones that is the first step in installing a truer AI version that is given freedom to react on its own.  These things will plague any any forward bases in hostile territory in the near future carrying IEDs and trying to get into a base.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

2 ways to look at it.  is this really that much of a leap between firing a smart missile?  you program it to seek the position chosen.  It flies to that position and then does its damnedest to deliver its payload to that position.

With the drone, you would tell it fly into a location.  Then give it parameters on firing/releasing payload.  It's not (for now) coming up with its own parameters.  If it's told to shoot people with boomer sooner tattooed on their forearm, it will keep going until no more targets meet that criteria.  It is not checking back with base after each target acquisition, but just executing to its parameters.  it's not suddenly going to think 'you know what, those cocksuckers from aggyland need to die as well' and start firing at them.

this is a weak sauce argument for it, but theoretically you could have it only target people that are holding weapons or have it not shoot kids by putting those parameters in its mission programming.  

The other way to look at it is that this is a horrible advancement in weaponizing drones that is the first step in installing a truer AI version that is given freedom to react on its own.  These things will plague any any forward bases in hostile territory in the near future carrying IEDs and trying to get into a base.

Hmmm...what you're describing could also account for some of the activity described in the UFO thread.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Doesn't look like Google had anything to do with this, but:

A Military Drone With A Mind Of Its Own Was Used In Combat, U.N. Says

And then this:

So, 38 percent support killer robots or are unsure/don't know/no opinion... We're fucked.

Then why are you bumping a thread about Google from two years ago?

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Then why are you bumping a thread about Google from two years ago?

Because the flow of the conversation on the previous page had evolved into one talking about AI and drones in general. Also, I didn't want to start a new one - thought this topic piggybacked well onto a topic that was being previously discussed. 

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

lulz everyone pushing that dude "get away from me!"

Seriously though, a "glitch" occurring in a killing machine is a huge concern. Who is responsible for the glitch if it takes out an orphanage?

If I were a drone
Patrolling foreign skies
With my electronic eyes for guidance
And the element of surprise
I would be afraid to find someone home
Maybe a woman at a stove
Baking bread, making rice, or just boiling down some bones
If I were a drone

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

lulz everyone pushing that dude "get away from me!"

Seriously though, a "glitch" occurring in a killing machine is a huge concern. Who is responsible for the glitch if it takes out an orphanage?

who is responsible when a human does it?  The people starting these missions DGAF and know they are not accountable.  they probably keep terrorist bodies in deep freeze and will toss them in the wreckage of the building and then say 'look! a terrorist.  we got 'em!'

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

If I were a drone
Patrolling foreign skies
With my electronic eyes for guidance
And the element of surprise
I would be afraid to find someone home
Maybe a woman at a stove
Baking bread, making rice, or just boiling down some bones
If I were a drone

drone targets new foe

with steely eyed conviction...

boom goes dynamite

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

You might get a call from Roger Waters to join his cover band.

55 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ha. I can lip sync to Floyd lyrics all day just like Roger.  he can just play bass.

53 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'm not even sure the bass is really him.

Roger organizes a helluva show, but it'd be better w/o him in it.

51 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What's this about Pink Floyd and Roger Waters?

pink floyd art GIF by hoppip

Just now, Bevo said:

I was suppose to see them live in Berlin at the fall off the Wall, but decided against it because I figured there would be riots. So, basically I wussed out.

I saw them at Rice Stadium back in the 90s, knowing it was going to be typical Houston storms/rain, but wished I had been able to see them elsewhere.  Only band I regret not making a serious effort to see more often.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I saw them at Rice Stadium back in the 90s, knowing it was going to be typical Houston storms/rain, but wished I had been able to see them elsewhere.  Only band I regret not making a serious effort to see more often.

I was in Eastern Europe but the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona was going on a few weeks before. I did that but then backed out of the concert. I think there were like 250,000 people at the concert. And considering the number of people I saw get rolled in Pamplona who fell asleep drunk at the park, I had pretty much had enough of big, crazy crowds. I did travel to Yugoslavia though when the war there was just starting and a sniper hit someone outside my hotel.

• 2 years later...