Texas Men's Golf

texasstrong12

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The interesting question is who will be the best pro out of this group? 

Am I crazy to think it might actually be Vick? 

I don’t think you’re crazy at all. He had a late start in golf but looks to me like the most talented player on the team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Replay on The Golf Channel now thru 1:00 am….probably includes the technical difficulty delay!

This morning, I'm watching the last part of replay on NBC Sports App.  And yes it includes the damn technical delay...

Signed into app using cable provider login.  

Love Vick's approach shot directly into the sun on #15.  Asks Coach Field if he sees where it went..

Fields reply is something like I don't know... and then Fields says,  "It's gonna end up where it ends up"  😂😂😂😂😂😂

Did they ever put the 1 on the tower last night?

I saw it orange but the offices never got lighted up by the time I went home.

Reminds me of them never lighting it for the 2020-2021 mens basketball conference tournament championship.

Get me the janitor!
9ead30464b1c1dff19c973a77c99f2a7.jpg

3 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Did they ever put the 1 on the tower last night?

I saw it orange but the offices never got lighted up by the time I went home.

Reminds me of them never lighting it for the 2020-2021 mens basketball conference tournament championship.

Get me the janitor!
9ead30464b1c1dff19c973a77c99f2a7.jpg

They do that after the team can get back and take pictures with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That final round was kind of predictable outside of Hammer getting smacked. 

Texas needed to win 2 out of 3 at the top with the Coody brothers and Hammer. They got that and if you ran it back I bet they would win at least 2/3 again. That puts a lot of pressure on those other 2 players against quality players like Nome and Vick. 

They do that after the team can get back and take pictures with it. 

That was the reason for basketball too. Then they never came back.

They should do both. I like it as an antiquated communication method, not just a photo opportunity.

Fun to see randomly and say huh what did we win tonight?

team_with_trophy_official.jpg?width=768&

06.01.2022 | Men's Golf

Men’s Golf wins 2022 NCAA Championship

The Longhorns claim their fourth national team championship in program history.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Texas Men's Golf team posted a dramatic 3-2 victory over Arizona State on Wednesday afternoon in the NCAA Championship match at Grayhawk Golf Club. The Longhorns earned their fourth NCAA team title in program history, as Texas previously claimed the championship in 1971, 1972 and 2012.

With the overall match score tied at 2-2, junior Travis Vick held a 1-up lead thru 17 holes in his match against Cameron Sisk. On the 18th hole, Vick hit his second shot to 25 feet beyond the hole while Sisk left his second shot in the greenside bunker. Sisk played an outstanding shot from the bunker to within two feet of the cup, before Vick lagged his birdie putt to within a foot to halve the hole and clinch the title for the Longhorns.

Earlier in the match, senior Parker Coody delivered the first point for Texas with a dominant 6 & 5 win over James Leow. Senior Pierceson Coody earned the second point for the Longhorns with a 2 & 1 victory against Preston Summerhays.

This marked UT's second appearance in the Championship Match in the last three NCAA Championships (no tournament in 2020 due to COVID-19), third trip to the final in the last six opportunities and fourth appearance since 2012. Texas made previous NCAA Match Play Championship appearances in 2012 (beat Alabama, 3-2), 2016 (lost to Oregon, 3-2) and 2019 (lost to Stanford, 3-2).

The University of Texas captured the 62nd national team championship (58 NCAA titles) in school history. It marked the fourth national title during the current 2021-22 academic calendar year, as Men's Indoor Track and Field won the crown in March and Women's Tennis and Rowing added titles in May.

In fact, the Longhorns have now claimed three NCAA team championships in an 11-day span: Women's Tennis (May 22), Rowing (May 29) and Men's Golf (June 1). The four national titles match the most in an academic year in school history, as the Longhorns also won four national championships in 1985-86 (Women's Basketball, Women's Indoor Track and Field, Women's Swimming and Diving and Women's Outdoor Track and Field).

Championship Match Recap vs. Arizona State

Senior Parker Coody earned the first point for the Longhorns with a 6 & 5 victory over James Leow. Coody won five of the first six holes (1, 3, 4, 5 and 6) to build a 5-up cushion. Leow claimed a win on hole 7 to get back to 4-down. Coody added wins on 11 and 12 to increase the margin to 6-up thru 12 holes. He halved the 13th hole against Leow to finish the 6 & 5 win.

Senior Cole Hammer dropped a 3 & 2 decision to Mason Anderson. Anderson won four of the first seven holes (1, 2, 5 and 7) to build a 4-up cushion. Hammer won the 9th hole to get back to 3-down, but Anderson responded with a win on 10. Hammer won the 11th hole, before Anderson again responded with a win on 12 to take a 4-up lead. Hammer won hole 14 to pull to within 3-down, but the two players halved the next two holes to close out the 3 & 2 win for Anderson.

Senior Pierceson Coody posted the second point for Texas with a 2 &1 victory against Preston Summerhays. Coody won back-to-back holes on 2 and 3 to take a 2-up advantage. He increased the margin to 3-up with a win on the 7th hole, but Summerhays answered with a win on 8 to get back to 2-down. Coody won the 10th hole to grab a 3-up cushion, before Summerhays responded with wins on 11 and 13 to pull to within 1-down. Coody won hole 14 to push the lead to 2-up, but Summerhays claimed a win on 16 to cut the deficit to 1-down. Coody made birdie on 17 to win the hole and finish the 2 & 1 victory.

Junior Mason Nome dropped a hard-fought match in 19 holes to David Puig. Puig won hole 2 to grab a 1-up lead, before Nome won back-to-back holes on 7 and 8 to take a 1-up advantage. Puig responded with a win on 9 to even the match. Nome won hole 14 to go 1-up, but Puig won the 17th hole to even the match. Nome made a 15-foot par putt on 18 to halve the hole and send the match to extra holes. On the first extra hole (playing the 10th hole), Puig made par to win the hole and seal his victory.

Junior Travis Vick clinched the title for the Longhorns with a 1-up win against Cameron Sisk. Vick won each of the first three holes to grab a 3-up cushion. Sisk responded with back-to-back wins on holes 4 and 5 and then added a win on 7 to even the match. Vick won the 9th hole to go 1-up, but Sisk answered with a win on 10 to tie the match. Vick took the lead for good with a win on 12 and added a win on 14 to build a 2-up cushion. Sisk won the 16th hole to pull to within 1-dow. Vick halved the holes with Sisk on 17 and 18 to finish the 1-up victory.

Post-Match Quote Sheet

Texas head coach John Fields

"There are so many mountains we've had to climb. The University of Texas provides us with such incredible opportunities, but it also puts a tremendous amount of pressure on you because winning a national championship at the University of Texas is very special. These guys knew it. That's why they came to Texas. If you ask anyone why they came to Texas, they'd give you this answer. I'm really proud of them. I'm proud of my two assistant coaches. All of the guys played well this week."

"They played some of the best, most outstanding golf that I've seen out of them. And I think that's just simply because the pressure really was on. We got to the place we wanted to get and that gave them the opportunity to just play golf and be who they were. Travis Vick on that last putt, I was a little bit nervous but he didn't seem nervous at all. A peace came over him and I think that's because of our support."

On his trio of seniors --"They're three of the best golfers that have ever played at Texas. With these guys, they are three of the best people on the planet and I'm going to really miss them and so is Texas. But they're going to go out there and do great things."

On his seniors now compared to 2019 -- "They arrived with incredible enthusiasm, maybe not the experience that we needed that week, but they got there because of the enthusiasm that they had. Now they've added the experience and they still have the enthusiasm. They've done the hard work, they've done the heavy lifting, and now they're national champions."  

On Travis Vick -- "He always seems to come up big in the big moment. He got us here at the regional, two back-to-back 67s, 10-under par at Oklahoma got us here, and he was just sensational." 

What he'll remember this week – "The challenges that these guys overcame. The pressure of making the top 15, then the pressure of making the Elite Eight and then the pressure of competing against three of the best teams in the nation with the best coaches in the nation. I'm going to remember how much these guys overcame to get this thing done." 

Texas senior Parker Coody

"As long as I kept the ball in front of me, I was going to be okay. I don't think either of us (James Leow from ASU) really had our best stuff today. But it worked out. I started off with a couple of birdies on two and three, that was really good, got my numbers down with my wedges and they were good holes to get off to a good start for sure. I was up enough to where there was no way I could lose the match without making mistakes."

"One of the things we talked about last night was how you get on such emotional highs, especially when you beat a team that's as good as Oklahoma State, then we end up beating a very hot Vanderbilt team. You get on such emotional highs with those wins. We talked about how to get ready for (the final). Pierceson, Cole and I remember that was the first time our phones blew up, because we took out the state of Oklahoma (in 2019), and with the short turnaround we were just drained. We talked about it last night, how important it was to get ready for today." 

"I played so poorly last year and I never played well here at Thunderbird. So I just took a whole new mindset like, 'I've got to love this place. I've got to find a way to get it done.' I was fortunate enough to get a good position individually and then the rest of match play took care of itself." 

Texas senior Pierceson Coody

"That last putt, I really knew it was going to go in. I trusted my line, and that one birdie made all the difference. Preston is such a great player, he hung in there tough. This year to go through all of the adversity and to end up here and watch everyone play like this, it means the world and is something I'll never forget."

"I couldn't stop thinking back. I lost to Brandon Wu freshman year and not that the situations were similar but Preston, he's young and I knew if I could just stay calm, I could edge him out. He played great and luckily a few putts went my way and just to come out on top, that entire experience gave me the confidence to do what we did today. For me to make a five-footer to seal my match, having the confidence to know it's going to go in, that's all from that match my freshman year." 

"The team meetings. No one had played well the first three rounds and all of a sudden we just jumped out that last round and it was like, 'Alright, it's time to go, it's a new tournament.' Knowing that we're all in form gave us a confidence that we just we gained from that one round. I never would have understood how important that round was."

Texas junior Travis Vick

"It's hard to put into words what this feels like. It's been such a long road, going through a lot of adversity as a team. We had a target on our back, so to be able to get it done is truly special. I got off to a hot start then started making sloppy bogeys, mostly because of short game, but I knew good golf would take care of itself and I was feeling pretty good about my game."

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MAUFRAIS said:

That was the reason for basketball too. Then they never came back.

They should do both. I like it as an antiquated communication method, not just a photo opportunity.

Fun to see randomly and say huh what did we win tonight?

Mens basketball didn’t win a national championship. They always light the tower orange for a conference championship the same night.  

for the NC, they do the 1 later. 

51 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That final round was kind of predictable outside of Hammer getting smacked. 

Texas needed to win 2 out of 3 at the top with the Coody brothers and Hammer. They got that and if you ran it back I bet they would win at least 2/3 again. That puts a lot of pressure on those other 2 players against quality players like Nome and Vick. 

Sorry but that was far from predictable going in vs. the home team. Beating Summerhays on that course was the key/swing match, he'd been very tough to take down on his "home" course.

Just now, Goodman said:

Sorry but that was far from predictable going in vs. the home team. Beating Summerhays on that course was the key/swing match, he'd been very tough to take down on his "home" course.

Summerhays is a good player but he also played like a freshman the last 2 rounds. 

Parker vs Leow is a win every round barring a major upset. Pierceson > Summerhays even with the home course advantage. If Pierceson and Summerhays play 10 rounds of match play I still like PIerceson to win 7 or 8 of those under those circumstances with the pressure for a freshman. 

Hammer vs Anderson is probably a push but I would expect Hammer to win a few of those if they played 10 rounds. 

IMO, Texas had a very predictable path at the top to get 2 of those 3 wins. Which was my main point. My worry was if Texas could get a win at the bottom with Vick and Nome but that's a lot of pressure for ASU to win both of those against quality golfers. 

Y’all are seriously underrating Vick and understating how much Parker stepped up. Going in, Vick was , at minimum, our #2 guy while Parker was probably #5.

Golfstat rankings:

Pierceson 11, Vick 14, Hammer 21, Nome 75, Parker 85

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Y’all are seriously underrating Vick and understating how much Parker stepped up. Going in, Vick was , at minimum, our #2 guy while Parker was probably #5.

Golfstat rankings:

Pierceson 11, Vick 14, Hammer 21, Nome 75, Parker 85

Yeah but the Arizona State golfer paired with Parker was a sub who was dominated in both semis and finals. 

Any Texas golfer paired with Leow was going to be a major favorite. Not taking anything away from Parker stepping up because he still did the job. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed