2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

Jesus Christ, I am REALLY glad we have a win over Tech on the books.  When the committee looks back in March they aren't going to remember that they were down 2 starters.  

Also, I think the Pokes are in for a long damn season.  We'll still probably lose in GIA in front of 5 people.  The death of that home court advantage saddens me.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, DeadArmadillo said:

Ok State played late at WVU Tuesday night. Then at 6 on Thursday in Lubbock. Then at Waco at 4 on Saturday.

Tech has an 11am tip against K State in Manhattan on Saturday With the one home game in between

But hell. They’re young. It’ll be a growing and bonding experience

When they supposed to study for quizzes and test and such.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I guess if the postseason ban had to happen this is the right year. Rebuilding and forgot to recruit someone who can make a fucking jumpshot.

Y'all at least are really athletic. It has to be real hard for Boynton to motivate the players game in and game out considering the circumstances.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Jesus Christ, I am REALLY glad we have a win over Tech on the books.  When the committee looks back in March they aren't going to remember that they were down 2 starters.  

Also, I think the Pokes are in for a long damn season.  We'll still probably lose in GIA in front of 5 people.  The death of that home court advantage saddens me.

Down 2 starters?  IIRC we had 7 players available for that game.

No excuses, but it was a lot different than 'down 2 starters.'

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Down 2 starters?  IIRC we had 7 players available for that game.

No excuses, but it was a lot different than 'down 2 starters.'

I wasn't really trying to argue semantics.  My point was that Tech was significantly short handed in the ISU game, but the committee is unlikely to remember that when reviewing ISU's resume in March.  By the same token, assuming we finish around .500, Tech won't be penalized for the loss in Hilton.

The two starters being out were a bigger deal than the lack of depth, IMO.  Put those guys back in the line up and how many guys are playing?  Maybe 8?  I don't know how deep into the bench Tech usually goes.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wasn't really trying to argue semantics.  My point was that Tech was significantly short handed in the ISU game, but the committee is unlikely to remember that when reviewing ISU's resume in March.  By the same token, assuming we finish around .500, Tech won't be penalized for the loss in Hilton.

The two starters being out were a bigger deal than the lack of depth, IMO.  Put those guys back in the line up and how many guys are playing?  Maybe 8?  I don't know how deep into the bench Tech usually goes.

Tech won't be penalized for the loss for missing players

ISU won't be penalized for winning that game against a shorthanded Tech

That's basically what they did last year.  You get a mulligan for losing when short-handed; the winning team doesn't really get dinged for the circumstances either.   It's an asterisk on Tech's resume when the committee is doing their evaluations. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

I'd be just fine if Tech continues improving their position towards this whole seeding rigamarole.

It a certain point, you still gotta beat the team you're paired up with.  I care more about who gets sent where on the first weekend.

Al_4_ISU's original point is the correct one.  Come March, the selection committee isn't going to factor in the extenuating circumstances around that game.  If Tech continues to have a successful season, it will be a heavily weighted W in favor of ISU.  And for Tech the only way that L will be assessed favorably or unfavorably depends on how successful ISU is the rest of the season.  They are not going to factor in the "only 7 players" either way.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Al_4_ISU's original point is the correct one.  Come March, the selection committee isn't going to factor in the extenuating circumstances around that game.  If Tech continues to have a successful season, it will be a heavily weighted W in favor of ISU.  And for Tech the only way that L will be assessed favorably or unfavorably depends on how successful ISU is the rest of the season.  They are not going to factor in the "only 7 players" either way.

You are not entirely correct.  

NCAA basketball committees will take COVID-19 absences 'into consideration' amid omicron surge - CBSSports.com

With COVID-19 issues wreaking havoc on college basketball's schedule and on rosters within the sport, NCAA leadership released a statement Thursday affirming that it is taking pandemic-created circumstances into account when it comes to evaluating NCAA Tournament resumes. 

"As we typically do, the men's and women's basketball committees will track on player and coach availability via the conference monitoring program, which is an invaluable part of the evaluation process for both championships," Division I men's basketball committee chair Tom Burnett and Division I women's basketball committee chair Nina King said in the statement. "Losses are still losses, and wins are still wins, but we will continue taking into consideration the absence of a coach or players, whether they are COVID-related or due to injury or suspension."

The reassurances come as teams throughout the country deal with COVID-19 cases that, in some cases, are forcing them to play with diminished rosters. No. 25 Texas Tech, for example, dressed just seven scholarship players in its 51-47 loss at No. 11 Iowa State on Wednesday night. Big 12 rules only allow for a "no contest" if a team has less than six scholarship players and one coach available. Other leagues such as the ACC, Big Ten and SEC have set the minimum number of scholarship players at seven.

It is entirely part of their calculation when they seed teams.  Tech will always have that loss on their resume, but the circumstances of that loss will be considered.  It if came down to Tech and another team for a seed, that loss wouldn't (and should not) ding Tech.  The conference made them play, so they played. 

Tech's reputation and program results matter far more than the circumstances of that particular game.

Red Raiders will be fine, with regard to controlling where this goes.

My point about the initial comment was merely just to point out the roster for the tilt in Ames was a long way from just 'missing 2 starters."  Didn't mean to start seeding angle discussion.

Big XII teams are gonna have some losses.

Edited by slorch

I don't give one rat's flying ass about tech's reputation or program results.  I hope you at least took yourself to dinner before you gave yourself a wet sloppy blowjob with that comment. 

Tech played the game because the Big 12 said they had to.  They lost - it was an admirable effort with a depleted roster.  And it won't ding you at the end of the season, because the committee knows the circumstances.  That's all the convo was.  We saw it all over the country last year - teams who had to play (and lost) down 1, 2, sometimes 3 players, because their conference told them to play.  The committee will take it into account IF it came down to Tech versus another team for a particular seed.  

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Wow that's a horrible call on K-State, no way that was a flagrant

I have full faith that the Big 12 refs have plenty more bad calls to make in this game, so I'm sure it will even out.  But yeah, that was bad to call that a flagrant, ESPECIALLY after seeing it multiple times on replay.

Just now, Js1 said:

KSU wanted a damn win and they got one. One of these close games had to go their way eventually. Road games in the Big 12, yo

Yup, they were fired up the whole game. Definitely well deserved and hard earned.

First time all year I've seen us where we have guys looking like they don't wanna be there. Fatigue'll do that to you, I guess. Adams has to remind the guys that it doesn't get any easier in conference play, gotta be on every game.

Scores for January 15, 2022

Oklahoma State   61

1Baylor    54

West Virginia  59

9Kansas      85

21Texas  70

15Iowa State   79

19Texas Tech   51

Kansas State    62

Final/OT

TCU            59

Oklahoma  58