So Long, Dry Creek

Wally Pryor

Like many others, got my share from Sarah.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The iconic Dry Creek Cafe & Dock is closing its doors this weekend after being open for nearly 70 years.

The hole-in-the-wall cafe opened in 1953.

“I think the biggest thing I enjoyed is everybody that ever came to Dry Creek,” owner Jay “Buddy” Reynolds said. “We had a nice crowd, they all had a good time. It was fun.”

Reynolds is retiring and sold the property. The new owners will keep the building, he says, but will turn it into a camp for orphaned children.

“It wasn’t complicated. It had a simple juke box and people could there and watch the sunset and it just made it enjoyable,” Reynolds said.

The dive bar is closing for good Halloween night. Reynolds encourages everyone to show up in costumes.

• Rage+1 1

Had a few beers there during my time in Austin.  I remember my wife and I going there for a sunset concert one night and a hive of bees had taken up residence in the wall next to the stairs.  You had to bat them away on every return trip downstairs to the bar.

Thankfully my time in Austin coincided with Cactus Cafe, Dart Bowl, Horseshoe Lounge, Shady Grove, and Dry Creek.

• Hook 'Em 2

csbalert/ Took the kids up to Mount Bonnell after church on Sunday for a taco picnic.  Then loaded everybody up and headed north instead of south to my wife's chagrin as nap time was quickly approaching for the 2YO.  We spent a lot of happy hours there back in our 20's, but that was a long time ago.  But without saying anything, we parked (only one other group there) up close, and she took my hand and smiled as I told her it was all going to be gone in just one week's time.  Took photos of the girls out in front of the sign and around back.  They could tell just by looking at it that it was different, that it was special.  And then Dad had to finally chime in with the history of the place and that places like that won't be around by the time they're my age...but they at least say they were there once before it went the way of dust.  

I'd probably only been there once in the last several years for a friend's farewell party before he left town for a job.  But I certainly plunked down more than my share of cash from 2000-2015.  But that was just a place, no matter how much we all patronized it over the years, it was always gonna get sold and redeveloped.  Couldn't be helped, sign of the times and all that... /csb  

went on Tuesday knowing it'd be my last visit.  Am surprised it soldiered on as long as it did after Sarah passed.  The FAQ is her style.

one of their last messages:

This is Elly, the main bar operator from Dry Creek with the full official last word on the closing of The Dry Creek Cafe and Boat Dock.
The entire property has sold, the new owners will not be keeping the bar open but plan to keep the building. They also plan to use the property to create some sort of a day camp type situation for orphaned children so there are 2 beautiful silver linings to the culmination of the bars time here in Austin.
Buddy is content with the outcome, it was just the right time for him to sell, so there is no need to be upset on his behalf or with the new owners.
Myself and anyone else associated with Dry Creek will be happy to have you come in and share your happy memories and make a few more before we close our doors or post pictures or lovely comments on our page.
We would however please ask to not be contacted outside of those avenues as it has become overwhelming and we would not like to hear anymore upset or bargaining, it is time for acceptance.
Please be considerate to us and focus on enjoying the place while we still have it.
The closing date will be October 31st and we are going to go out with a bang!

PXL_20211027_013049141.jpg

PXL_20211026_233407728.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Went to Dry Creek once on a really long wake boarding trip. It's pretty far up river from Enfield Road. Cool spot, but not the easiest bar to get to. 

Are you thinking of Ski Shores perhaps?  That's near Emma Long and pretty far from Enfield but Dry Creek is just past Mt Bonnell and pretty close to Enfield and the Walsh Boat Landing.  I wish we made more places to go via boat on Austin and Travis.

Just now, brownboy said:

Are you thinking of Ski Shores perhaps?  That's near Emma Long and pretty far from Enfield but Dry Creek is just past Mt Bonnell and pretty close to Enfield and the Walsh Boat Landing.  I wish we made more places to go via boat on Austin and Travis.

Quite possibly. The place I remember was more of a little beer market than a bar. 

So many great afternoons up there and lord, was she a bitch. People may think she was doing a bit, but I firmly believe that she really was that miserable.

I was there the day the city closed her down because either the stairs or the patio was deemed unsafe. She was about to have an aneurism. Needless to say, we GTFO rather quickly. Not that we had a choice. She was giving the city inspector all sorts of hell. He didn't give a single fuck. It was actually kinda awesome to see her get dressed down like that.

RIP Dry Creek. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:33 AM, brownboy said:

Are you thinking of Ski Shores perhaps?  

I'll put this here, because I'm not starting a new thread about Ski Shores:  it just got bought by Liz Lambert's group (Jo's Coffee, Perla's, Swedish Hill, etc.).  They also bought the Barton Springs Road "dry dock" version.  Stated plans are to just do minor updates to the original on the water but convert the BSR location to "Lou's", a counter service cafe.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll put this here, because I'm not starting a new thread about Ski Shores:  it just got bought by Liz Lambert's group (Jo's Coffee, Perla's, Swedish Hill, etc.).  They also bought the Barton Springs Road "dry dock" version.  Stated plans are to just do minor updates to the original on the water but convert the BSR location to "Lou's", a counter service cafe.

Reading his comments about boat culture in Austin, it seems like the guy wants to do some minor renovations and then reopen it in March.  The quotes seem genuine enough and not like BS.  The Barton Springs Rd version, in my opinion was "fine" but I always thought, "the food at ski shores is average... if I'm going to eat average, I want to eat it on the lake"

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Reading his comments about boat culture in Austin, it seems like the guy wants to do some minor renovations and then reopen it in March.  The quotes seem genuine enough and not like BS.  The Barton Springs Rd version, in my opinion was "fine" but I always thought, "the food at ski shores is average... if I'm going to eat average, I want to eat it on the lake"

Yeah, I like taking the family to the original spot, it's a great hang, even if the food is just sorta OK, but I never had any interest in "Ski Shores" on Barton Springs Boulevard.  Weird concept.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So many great afternoons up there and lord, was she a bitch. People may think she was doing a bit, but I firmly believe that she really was that miserable.

I was there the day the city closed her down because either the stairs or the patio was deemed unsafe. She was about to have an aneurism. Needless to say, we GTFO rather quickly. Not that we had a choice. She was giving the city inspector all sorts of hell. He didn't give a single fuck. It was actually kinda awesome to see her get dressed down like that.

RIP Dry Creek. 

Yes, she was a bitch.  She was also my wife's aunt.  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I like taking the family to the original spot, it's a great hang, even if the food is just sorta OK, but I never had any interest in "Ski Shores" on Barton Springs Boulevard.  Weird concept.

My kids like it but they always order the same garbage.  I order whatever because the food is meh but that late afternoon lighting on the lake is absolutely worth it.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lobo said:

csbalert/ Took the kids up to Mount Bonnell after church on Sunday for a taco picnic.  Then loaded everybody up and headed north instead of south to my wife's chagrin as nap time was quickly approaching for the 2YO.  We spent a lot of happy hours there back in our 20's, but that was a long time ago.  But without saying anything, we parked (only one other group there) up close, and she took my hand and smiled as I told her it was all going to be gone in just one week's time.  Took photos of the girls out in front of the sign and around back.  They could tell just by looking at it that it was different, that it was special.  And then Dad had to finally chime in with the history of the place and that places like that won't be around by the time they're my age...but they at least say they were there once before it went the way of dust.  

I'd probably only been there once in the last several years for a friend's farewell party before he left town for a job.  But I certainly plunked down more than my share of cash from 2000-2015.  But that was just a place, no matter how much we all patronized it over the years, it was always gonna get sold and redeveloped.  Couldn't be helped, sign of the times and all that... /csb  

I can't quite put my finger on which one but I definitely hear Robert Earl Keen singing when I read this post.   Maybe The Front Porch Song.