Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-weekend-september-28th-30th/

Quick Hitters | 2021 Recruits Talk Texas Offer
– Andrew King

Three top recruits in the 2021 class picked up offers from Texas over the last week or so. I’ve spoken to all of them to get some feedback about how they feel about the Texas offer and where things currently stand with them.

OT Hayden Conner – Katy Taylor (TX): Conner was offered by Texas on September 15th when he visited for the USC game. Conner started off by saying “It was a great day in Austin. The stadium and the fans were electric!” Adding that it was better than any other time he had visited Texas. He also told me how impressed he was with Texas’ new offensive line coach. Saying “I really like Herb Hand. Seeing what he’s been able to do with the offensive line so far has been amazing! I’m excited to see them keep it up.”

He also told me his time out on the field before the game was awesome, and the locker room celebration after. Something that impressed Conner was that “they were already looking to the next weeks game vs TCU, even right after the big win vs USC.” Though there is one thing that will stick with Conner for a long time, and that was getting an offer from Tom Herman down on the field before the game.

OT Bryce Foster – Katy Taylor (TX): Foster is teammates with Conner, so his thoughts are pretty similar to Conner’s. Foster also said that Tom Herman offered him before the game on the field was something that he’s going to remember for a long time. He loved that Texas really dominated a team on the big stage, something they hadn’t done for a while.

SDE Tunmise Adeleye – Katy Tompkins (TX): Texas also offered Adeleye at the USC game. But Adeleye was much more surprised about the offer than Conner and Foster were. He told me, “I was honestly really surprised at receiving an offer from Coach Herman. I knew it would eventually come, but I didn’t think it would be this early in the season.” He noted that he had a really good camp over the summer in Austin. But the staff was hesitant about offering so early as he had yet to play a varsity snap in high school yet and that Herman told him he wasn’t going to offer him just because other schools were. Adeleye had only played three varsity games when we talked, but he was already leading his district in sacks with six.

Adeleye told me “I’m really grateful because Texas one of my dream schools and I’m so excited because I have the opportunity to possibly play there in a couple of years.”

• 2 weeks later...

TFB on Garcia: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-weekend-october-19th-21st/

Quick-Hitters | Cali Recruiting & Jake Garcia
– Super K

Went by Narbonne High School (CA), recently and saw, among other highly recruited players, 2021 QB Jake Garcia.

Garcia is the son of former Nebraska QB, Randy Garcia. I didn’t get a chance to see him throw. The team ran and lifted yesterday.

Garcia said that he hasn’t had much direct contact with Texas, yet. He’s young. But there has been some third party contact and I’ve heard through the grapevine that Texas is interested.

Garcia did say that he plans on being at the Texas vs West Virginia game.

Narbonne has like four or five 2020 players that are ranked in the California top 100. A very good school to build connections to.

In fact, one of the things I learned on this trip is that Texas needs to continue to have a presence in Cali. The recruiting just isn’t as intense in California as it is in TX. I think it would be fairly easy to really build a brand identity in the area. Many of the top kids are connected and USC can’t take them all.

6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Still think it's a pretty good chance it'll be Texas for him?

I do.  He’s been showing a ton of aggy stuff but Texas is his dream school.  Aggy was his first offer.  He really wanted a Texas offer and he got that at the 50 before the USC game from Coach Herman.  I think that we will get him.  

IT

For Jefferson sophomore Lyrik Rawls, I expect a similar offer boost, but since he’s still two years away, it may take a little longer.

Texas really likes what Rawls offers at safety. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound hit-stick brings hat every day, and twice on Friday nights.

He visited Austin recently and hopes to return soon.

“I enjoyed the game and the stadium, and I would love to attend Texas," said Rawls. “There were so many people.”

Getting overjoyed is what sophomores do when it’s their first college football game. For the up-and-coming ETX defensive back, many things stood out.

“The facilities, the locker room, and the way the players talked to each other in the locker room,” said Rawls. "They love each other. That's real."

Rawls was also excited to meet fellow area athlete and UT corner, Kris Boyd, and some of the other Horns.

Like I said, it's still early for the budding star. But Texas has installed the basis of a great, long term relationship.

Visiting per IT:

QB Jake Garcia, Narbonne (Harbor City, CA): For a sophomore with overtures from Georgia, Florida State, and UF, the 6-foot-2, 185-pound quarterback was set to visit last month but his trip fell through. I'm told he's set to see Austin this weekend. You can never start too early, especially with signal-callers. Narbonne is one of the schools in So Cal that has talent year in, year out. As an example, the school has five in the top 32 for the 2020 cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Visitors for this weekend per IT

WR Dylan Goffney, Cypress Bridgeland (Cypress, TX): This kid can scoot. His 2022 QB - Connor Weigman - is also a name to remember. They both really like Texas.

LB Kendrick Blackshire, Horn (Mesquite, TX): He's a maybe. Blackshire is a dog on the football field without a clear position in college. He's likely a defensive lineman at the next level, but still two years away. He has some grown man to his game and frame.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-tuesday-november-20th/

Recruiting Quick-Hitters
– Super K

***I know it’s hard to get excited about a 2021 prospect but Texas offered an electric slot WR in JoJo Earle (Aledo).

This is Earle’s second offer. First came from Texas Tech. Earle is teammates with Sooners 5-star 2020 running back commit, Jase McClellan. Jase’s mother told us that he would be visiting Texas along with JoJo this weekend. We have no reason to believe he didn’t make it but we’ll check on that.

In-Depth with 2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire
– CJ Vogel

Easily one of the most impressive physical specimens I have covered this year is 2021 linebacker Kendrick Blackshire out of Mesquite Horn High School.

Blackshire is every bit of his 6-foot, 2-inch, 250 pound frame. For a kid that size, he has tremendous speed in route to the ball, however I would have liked to see a higher motor at times from Blackshire.

The massive linebacker was quite influential in Horn’s 41-34 upset victory over 8-2 Temple in the first round of playoffs. Blackshire was a key component in causing a fumble from Temple QB Jared Wiley in the second quarter.

The recruiting process is still in the real early stages for Blackshire, however he has made visits to Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and is fresh off a trip to Georgia. Not to mention a trip to the Texas-Oklahoma game in Dallas. But Blackshire is still a ways away from coming to any sort of decision.

“Probably during my junior year I’m going to post my top five, then I’m going to wait a little bit and then I’m going to commit,” said Blackshire after the game.

For the time being, Blackshire will focus on the remainder of his season and Horn’s run in the playoffs. He was slated to visit Austin this past weekend, however those plans fell through with a sickness in the family.

While Blackshire doesn’t currently hold a Texas offer, a communication line has begun between the two side and that should continue for the remainder of his recruitment.

“We just starting to build a relationship, so I haven’t heard too much about [Texas],” said Blackshire. “Hopefully [an offer] is coming.”

I would expect Blackshire to have pretty good interest in the Longhorns if an offer is extended in the near future. Still, it will be tough to keep him in-state when his commitment date rolls around.

At the moment it appears the Sooners have been the most in-depth relationship with Blackshire but that may change once the big dogs from the SEC and Big 10 start knockin’ at the door.