Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Someone help me I'm falling too far into the twitter hole

Seems odd for an uncommitted recruit to be calling out for another recruit's commitment...

Is Adeleye's off non-committable?  If not why doesn't he go ahead and be the first 2021 🤫 ?

IT

DL Payton Page, Dudley (Greensboro, NC) - 2021: I asked him if his recent offer meant enough to get a visit, to which he responded, "Don't worry, I'm coming soon...." He says he's going to take the recruiting process slow and focus more on getting better. I asked what schools stand out to him and even fished a little by saying, "I'm sure Clemson." He replied, "I didn't say that lol." Okay big man, with the way they're recruiting and developing d-linemen I had to check.

53 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

It'll be interesting to see how many of the elite/very good players in Washington UW gets in the next two cycles. I know their fans complain about several dead weight recruiters on that staff.

Petersen is maniacally focused on the coaching side of things - he liked UW because they wouldn't mess with that like most traditional bluebloods would.

We'll see if we can work that to our advantage. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Petersen is maniacally focused on the coaching side of things - he liked UW because they wouldn't mess with that like most traditional bluebloods would.

We'll see if we can work that to our advantage. 

Yeah, and they desperately need guys like Smalls, Tuimoloau, Huard, and Egbuka to be true national title contenders. I suspect Ikaika Malloe will recruit most of them since he's their best recruiter. He has legitimate Polynesian ties, so Tuimoloau would be a tough pull for us. 

34 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Well, we could trade Giles plus the #1 rated recruiter in the country to Washington for Malloe... maybe we could throw in Warhime too if they play hardball.

I saw a tweet yesterday about Warehime taking a job at a Dll in Oklahoma  about stroked out with joy. 

Till i saw it was a tweet by the Pooper, about his brother. 

Man, talk about a let down. 

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-wednesday-january-30th/

Intro to 2021 OT Reuben “Deuce” Fatheree
– Will Baizer

When you enter the halls of Foster High School in Richmond, TX, it is not hard to spot Reuben “Deuce” Fatheree. The 2021 5-star offensive tackle is an astounding 6’8″ and 300lbs, with feet quick enough to land him an early spot on the varsity basketball team.

Deuce has shown to be both proficient in pass protection using his relatively quick feet to handle the pass rush but also has enough strength to consistently produce pancakes in the run game at the high school level. He’s a high floor prospect with an even higher ceiling, and the nation has taken notice. He boasts nineteen D1 offers.

I got to sit down with “Deuce” Fatheree and his father, Reuben, to discuss their trip to Texas over the past weekend for “Elite Day,” and understand more background on their approach to the recruiting process.

Some families are pretty heavily involved in the recruiting process and others tend to let the recruit make the decision. Reuben describe their approach as being somewhat in the middle, “We’ll all give out input and he’ll just have to decide that this guy will be here for me. It will go back to him to find his fit, with a lot of input from mom and dad.”

In the end, like most parents, the family just wants to know that there will be a support network and familiarity around their son during his time in college, “For us parents, I want to find out who is going to take care of my son… when he has a problem who is going to be there for him.”

Luckily for Texas, the Fatheree family has already dealt with having a child in Austin as Deuce’s sister played basketball for St. Edwards, and did not have a negative thing to say about the environment, “Let’s just say I enjoy my Cabo Bob’s. Get that a little early and then go on to the game.”

Deuce and his family have yet to visit any school outside of Texas (they have visited every school in Texas so far), so it is no surprise that this recruitment may take some time, “My message to him is to keep getting away from the athletics and keep getting to know these coaches a little more personally. Get to know the guys on the team… Our goal is to get him to look at as many schools as he can, so then when it’s time to be looking at officials he’ll have a pretty good idea.”

Nevertheless, the Longhorn coaching staff has been working hard to establish an insurmountable relationship with the young prospect by consistently getting him on campus. When I asked the father about their family’s view of the program I was met with some excitement, “The family atmosphere and the warm welcome was noticeable. Since our first trip up there, it’s always been warm. It’s very comfortable. [Deuce] feels comfortable.”

That sense of family atmosphere was amplified by the tight group of player the coaching staff brought to campus. The Fatheree’s told us that it allowed them to expand their relationship with the staff, “Them picking the best players in the state was definitely good for Deuce to know that. I think Coach Herman laid that out there for him. It was also good considering it was a small group, and we got to sit and speak with Coach Hand and his wife. I was able to ask him some questions on the athletic program. Got away from that and talked about the academics and the help they’ll receive. It was a really good visit. We got to know a little different side… They answered all the questions we have at this time.”

Deuce described the relationship with Hand as already being a “close” one and expanded on that by saying, “The first time we met I didn’t know who he was, but he’s very… loud, which I like. Like, ‘Hey Deuce! How are you doing?!’” The two got to build on that relationship even more during the basketball game where Deuce got the chance to sit with Coach Hand and discuss their love of playing basketball.

However, Deuce’s favorite part was “…meeting Matthew McConaughey… I told my mom to go take a picture with him because I know she’s in love with him… It was good to know his background, that was really cool.”

Beyond being star struck, Deuce enjoyed the more direct conversation with Tom Herman where they talked about coming down to Texas, his game on the field, and what they needed to do to make Deuce a Longhorn.

While Deuce enjoyed the one-on-one time, his father emphasized his appreciation for the speech Tom Herman gave addressing the program and where it was going, “I thought he was to the point, and he just laid it out there. There was no gray. He just put it out there… I liked that a lot.”

Right now, Texas and Texas A&M are the leaders here, and after talking to his father, I get the feeling that there was more to like about Texas. But I will hold off on claiming Texas the leader and there could possibly be recency bias given their trip and the fact that the family is yet to visit any school outside the state.

The main competition outside the two state schools has to be Oklahoma, LSU, and Alabama. Each will get their shot to dazzle the young 5-star. Having successful trips like this with Deuce and his family will ensure Texas is the one that he chooses when the hats are on the table.

Arizona Targets In-Person | Updates
– Super K

Stopped by  Salpointe Catholic (Tuscon, AZ) to see a few of the top guys in Arizona.

***Jonah Miller (2021 OT). Miller holds a few early offers. Jonah tells me he picked up offers from Arizona State, Colorado and Arizona.

He said he plans on visiting Texas in February.