Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Why though? Seems like a waste of fucking time. 

If Herman succeeds there is an obvious direct benefit.  If not he will almost certainly force OU to expend time and resources to defend their pipeline.  One of the cardinal principles of asymmetric warfare is to never give the enemy any sanctuary where they feel completely safe.  If the staff were struggling to secure good recruits for Texas then it might be better to prioritize high-probability shots only.  As things stand they're doing great and it's probably worth using some energy to get OU looking over their shoulder constant(ly).

6 hours ago, sushihorn said:

If Herman succeeds there is an obvious direct benefit.  If not he will almost certainly force OU to expend time and resources to defend their pipeline.  One of the cardinal principles of asymmetric warfare is to never give the enemy any sanctuary where they feel completely safe.  If the staff were struggling to secure good recruits for Texas then it might be better to prioritize high-probability shots only.  As things stand they're doing great and it's probably worth using some energy to get OU looking over their shoulder constant(ly).

It was jocular and rhetorical, sushi. I don’t give a shit how much effort we put into Texas schools, hotbeds for the okies or aggies be damned. 

Majik Rector's dad is starting the year off with a bang. Gonna be interesting to see how hard that he and Margin Hooks try to connect some of their kids to Preston Stone's recruitment...  (247 only has 14 kids even ranked for 2021, unless I'm missing something)

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-1st-3rd/

Quick Hitters | Update from Herman’s Week in DFW
– CJ Vogel

A few quick hitters now that the school semester is fully underway again.

Tom Herman

Herman has been rather busy this week making his rounds through the DFW area for much of this week.

So far, Herman has visited Fort Worth All Saints, Southlake Carroll, Parish Episcopal, Carrollton Ranchview, and West Mesquite.

Fort Worth All Saints – 2021 OL Tommy Brockermeyer
Southlake Carroll – 2020 DB RJ Mickens and 2022 QB Quinn Ewers
Carrollton Ranchview – 2o20 QB/ATH Michael Henderson
Parish Episcopal – 2021 QB Preston Stone
West Mesquite – 2020 RB Ty Jordan

2021 OL Tommy Brockermeyer (Fort Worth, Texas)

It’s worth noting that Brockermeyer is a Texas legacy with his father, Blake, having played for the football team back in 1992-1994. Tommy’s brother, Luke, is also a member of the Texas team, having joined as a preferred walk-on.

It’s safe to say early on that Tommy is a Texas lean. Which is huge considering he will likely be one of the top linemen in the state for the 2021 cycle.

2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire (Mesquite, Texas)

Defensive Coordinator Todd Orlando made the trip to Mesquite Horn HS to visit the massive linebacker.

Blackshire has shown interest in the Longhorns ever since the fall. He last visited Texas during the “Elite” Junior Day Texas had on January 19th.

Sooner or later, the big SEC teams will come calling, and Blackshire has made it known that he is not afraid of leaving home. With that said, the stop by Orlando and constant communication by the staff could end up paying off when it is all said and done.

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Majik Rector's dad is starting the year off with a bang. Gonna be interesting to see how hard that he and Margin Hooks try to connect some of their kids to Preston Stone's recruitment...  (247 only has 14 kids even ranked for 2021, unless I'm missing something)

I wonder how long it will take him to understand how the TexAgs ranking actually work.

IT

DONOVAN JACKSON - 2021

Of the elite 2021 offensive linemen, Donovan Jackson might have the highest floor. With good tape, feet, pop, and pretty much everything else, Jackson seems to be a sure-thing as a multi-year starter somewhere across the line. That could be guard or tackle. There's some Kenyon Green here. Like Green, he's also a hard worker with a great background.

Texas already hosted Reuben Fatheree on Elite Day. The staff will host Hayden Conner in a couple of weeks, as well as Tommy Brockermeyer. The staff even hosted Jackson's classmate, Cullen Montgomery, recently. But this weekend was about Jackson and prioritizing him stood out.

Said his father, Todd:

"Great visit to UT. Coach Hand hosted us throughout the day and made every moment special and personalized for Donovan. Started with a great discussion with Coach Herman, visiting academic advisors, touring current facilities and reviewing upcoming renovation to the facilities and of course trying on the icey white uniform. Most impressed with the deeper dive into the Forever Texas program and quality 1:1 time with Coach Hand and staff that’s just not possible as part of a bigger group."

Him saying 'icey whites' caught my attention.

As for upcoming visits, not much is scheduled:

"Most likely visiting UGA this Spring and we discussed coming back to UT for Spring practices or game if schedules work out."

JORDON THOMAS - 2021

I love it when the staff finds a prospect very few are aware of. That’s Jordon Thomas.

The 6’4, 240-pound defensive end from Port Arthur Memorial reported a Texas offer during his unofficial visit on Saturday.

He was so under the radar, he didn’t have a profile on 247 or Rivals until yesterday. Visiting Austin was a big deal to Thomas, who has long been a Longhorn fan.

His head coach, Brian Morgan, filled me in on his stud junior-to-be from the Golden Triangle.

“Jordon is special,” said Morgan. “He’s going to state in Powerlifting, and runs the 100 and 200 in Track & Field.”

At 16 years old, he’s a specimen. And Texas made a big impression on him this past weekend

“He’s a hard worker,” said Morgan. “He doesn’t have a clue how special he is going to be. When schools came through last week, he caught everyone’s attention. He’s legit.”

For 2021, Thomas is one to watch moving forward. Instead of hitting the triangle just to see Jaylen Garth at PNG, I’ll have to make stop in PA as well.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Really? Fuck. 

They are definitely sponsored but Adidas but I question how much of a difference that will really make, only 2 PAC schools are Adidas (Washington and Arizona State) and he has connections to Bru and Gabe so didn’t hurt there. Plus he seems to be pro Texas on twitter and has already brought kids to Texas on more than one occasion. 

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

They are definitely sponsored but Adidas but I question how much of a difference that will really make, only 2 PAC schools are Adidas (Washington and Arizona State) and he has connections to Bru and Gabe so didn’t hurt there. Plus he seems to be pro Texas on twitter and has already brought kids to Texas on more than one occasion. 

Yeah. But if only there was another school not too far from Austin where he might be Encouraged to take kids he's chaperoning from California that is sponsored by Adidas. A school that they'd probably never before considered as an option, and that may or may not just drop off a bag of fucking cash while they're visiting. 

The guy can seem on the up and up, and the guy can seem to really like Texas, but circumstances change, and we never know what level of influence or pressure is currently being leveled on this guy, but more importantly what that dynamic will be in the future. One thing for certain, however, is that his affiliation with Adidas will NEVER be a positive for Nike schools. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. But if only there was another school not too far from Austin where he might be Encouraged to take kids he's chaperoning from California that is sponsored by Adidas. A school that they'd probably never before considered as an option, and that may or may not just drop off a bag of fucking cash while they're visiting. 

The guy can seem on the up and up, and the guy can seem to really like Texas, but circumstances change, and we never know what level of influence or pressure is currently being leveled on this guy, but more importantly what that dynamic will be in the future. One thing for certain, however, is that his affiliation with Adidas will NEVER be a positive for Nike schools. 

Well I don’t know how to embed a tweet on my phone but he posted one yesterday of him and Flowe doing the 🤫 (tagged Carrington) and he’s wearing Nike gear, so apparently Adidas doesn’t have quite the stranglehold

11 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Adidas is dirty as hell. I don't get why, as influencing players in CFB seems like a way different ROI than CBB, but here we are. They did everything they could to get Haselwood to reconsider Miami after Richt left. If the details ever come out on that, it will come across as insane. If they're involved with something, they're steering players in some form or another to their schools.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Adidas is dirty as hell. I don't get why, as influencing players in CFB seems like a way different ROI than CBB, but here we are. They did everything they could to get Haselwood to reconsider Miami after Richt left. If the details ever come out on that, it will come across as insane. If they're involved with something, they're steering players in some form or another to their schools.

All

Day

I

Dream

About

Sports Suborning College Football Players Into Marketing My Shitty and Generally Unpopular Shoe Brand.