Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Some measurements from the UA Houston camp:

Shadrach Banks 5’11.75 207lbs

Hayden Connor 6’6 312lbs

Bryce Foster 6’4 318lbs

Tunmise Adeleye 6’4 255lbs

Derrick Harris 6’2.5 213lbs

Wonder what Donovan Jackson came in at, convincing him and Foster to be the Guards in 2021 would be nice. 

The Texas staff seems to be all over Stone for a reason. The 9.95ers are all boned up over him...not that that says anything. Just seems to be surly that thinks he’s ass my dude. I think we should at least let him play a junior season before freaking out about his ability or hand size. The dad is concerning though 

Edited by RGBIII

There has yet to be a QB take that didn't get recruitniks in a tizzy when he committed.

When Casey committed, people were miffed that we spurned Justin Rogers.

When Cam committed, people thought we would scare away Casey and hurt our standing with other prospects on his 7v7 team.

When Roschon committed, people thought he was Heard 2.0 and that it would hurt us with Cain and Wease since we passed on Tisdale.

When Card committed, he had small hands and was more likely to be a WR than a QB.

Carry on, folks.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There has yet to be a QB take that didn't get recruitniks in a tizzy when he committed.

When Casey committed, people were miffed that we spurned Justin Rogers.

When Cam committed, people thought we would scare away Casey and hurt our standing with other prospects on his 7v7 team.

When Roschon committed, people thought he was Heard 2.0 and that it would hurt us with Cain and Wease since we passed on Tisdale.

When Card committed, he had small hands and was more likely to be a WR than a QB.

Carry on, folks.

This is lazy and reductive. A few guys whining or worrying after a commitment is taken is not worthy of claiming all QB commitments have gotten “recruitniks in a tizzy “. 

Plenty of folks, frankly the majority once the news got out, were happy to pass on Rogers after hearing about his behavior at JR Day. I don’t recall anyone being actually unhappy with getting Casey Thompson. And now that Rogers has dropfoot, we all look like geniuses for knowing that was coming. 

The board went insane on the positive when Rising committed. End of that story. You’re being ridiculous by stretching another narrative out there. 

Most everyone was thrilled with RoJo. I was mocking Nahlin and Holland at the time for the Tisdale takes and that was proven out. Very few people on Shaggy at the time were in the $9.95er camp. That was $9.95 bullshit. 

The Card hand stuff happened months after his commitment. I promise that is a fact that can be easily looked up here. People had justifiable questions about taking him when they did and they still do, me included. That’s not the whole board melting down and it doesn’t happen every time. 

It’s condescending to lump all posters on this board into one melting pot of thoughtless goobers who are scared of their own shadow and bitch for no reason. 

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ctj's comments got me thinking......

Not 2020 thread, but any chance Texas considers taking two QBs in the 2020 Class??

Doubtful. I think 2 QB classes will be more rare with the transfer portal now. I think they will take a guy like Henderson or Jackson and can leave them at QB or move to another position (same could happen with Card)

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is lazy and reductive. A few guys whining or worrying after a commitment is taken is not worthy of claiming all QB commitments have gotten “recruitniks in a tizzy “. 

Plenty of folks, frankly the majority once the news got out, were happy to pass on Rogers after hearing about his behavior at JR Day. I don’t recall anyone being actually unhappy with getting Casey Thompson. And now that Rogers has dropfoot, we all look like geniuses for knowing that was coming. 

The board went insane on the positive when Rising committed. End of that story. You’re being ridiculous by stretching another narrative out there. 

Most everyone was thrilled with RoJo. I was mocking Nahlin and Holland at the time for the Tisdale takes and that was proven out. Very few people on Shaggy at the time were in the $9.95er camp. That was $9.95 bullshit. 

The Card hand stuff happened months after his commitment. I promise that is a fact that can be easily looked up here. People had justifiable questions about taking him when they did and they still do, me included. That’s not the whole board melting down and it doesn’t happen every time. 

It’s condescending to lump all posters on this board into one melting pot of thoughtless goobers who are scared of their own shadow and bitch for no reason. 

There are other boards besides Shaggy/Surly, and I'm not just talking about the mouthbreathers on 247. If you want to "no true scotsman" this thing and say that what Horns fans think elsewhere is meaningless, then be my guest. I'll concede that the response to Rising was mostly positive, but in general there's been a contingent of fans who have some sort of issue or another with every one of our QB takes under Herman (and I'm not even going to throw in Ehlinger).

Since I've got you going, I might as well keep it up and say that I "trust the coaches" when it comes to handling quarterbacks. If the coaches do their homework and determine that Stone is a take, I'm good with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There are other boards besides Shaggy/Surly, and I'm not just talking about the mouthbreathers on 247. If you want to "no true scotsman" this thing and say that what Horns fans think elsewhere is meaningless, then be my guest. I'll concede that the response to Rising was mostly positive, but in general there's been a contingent of fans who have some sort of issue or another with every one of our QB takes under Herman (and I'm not even going to throw in Ehlinger).

Since I've got you going, I might as well keep it up and say that I "trust the coaches" when it comes to handling quarterbacks. If the coaches do their homework and determine that Stone is a take, I'm good with it.

While I realize there are other boards, pining or whining over their behaviors here does little for context to those of us who primarily reside here. 

As to taking Stone, I’ll jump for joy. I pass on information, and sometimes it becomes a running joke or mantra, and I can’t do anything about that, and let’s be honest, rarely do I want to attempt to fix that. I mentioned Stone has a helicopter dad once, but if Herman can handle it, awesome. I’d rather have McCarthy, but it’s a win either way. It’s also a win if Stone’s situation proves toxic, because that becomes a running joke and I’ll be highly entertained. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

While I realize there are other boards, pining or whining over their behaviors here does little for context to those of us who primarily reside here. 

As to taking Stone, I’ll jump for joy. I pass on information, and sometimes it becomes a running joke or mantra, and I can’t do anything about that, and let’s be honest, rarely do I want to attempt to fix that. I mentioned Stone has a helicopter dad once, but if Herman can handle it, awesome. I’d rather have McCarthy, but it’s a win either way. It’s also a win if Stone’s situation proves toxic, because that becomes a running joke and I’ll be highly entertained. 

Fair.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

manziel regularly ran for 200+ yards in a game at tivy.  

preston stone bailed on the UIL for tapps because he would’ve been 2nd string at highland park.  he will plummet in the rankings just like grant gunnell, another overrated trash private school qb.  

Who's the kid in front of him? There are other private schools he could have transferred to - Dunne, Prestonwood, Jesuit? I'm sorry Parish is such a sissy school I can't take seriously.

30 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Who's the kid in front of him? There are other private schools he could have transferred to - Dunne, Prestonwood, Jesuit? I'm sorry Parish is such a sissy school I can't take seriously.

Answering strictly for Jesuit, I think the move would have been highly scrutinized because it's a UIL school. Additionally, he wouldn't have been eligible to play varsity as a freshman (assuming he doesn't live in Jesuit's "feeder zone"), and it seems like that was at least a part of the Stones' plan.

47 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Who's the kid in front of him? 

at highland park?  jerry jones III and then chandler morris.  great HP system qbs but not top 100 recruits in the state.  stone’s m.o. was to tuck-tail and run to a tiny shithole christian school where he could put up inflated stats and inflate his ranking, which will plummet in the next two years.  

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

at highland park?  jerry jones III and then chandler morris.  great HP system qbs but not top 100 recruits in the state.  stone’s m.o. was to tuck-tail and run to a tiny shithole christian school where he could put up inflated stats and inflate his ranking, which will plummet in the next two years.  

So... welcome to Team Davis? 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So... welcome to Team Davis? 

davis over stone, sure.  but 2021 is a long way off.  others will emerge. 

stone’s brother, lindell, did the same thing.  daddy pimped him to recruiting services so he was a very hyped national recruit as a freshman (like preston) yet he knew he couldn’t get on the field at southlake so he bailed and ran off to boarding school in virginia.  by the time he was a senior he was a forgotten three star.  and now he’s a forgotten backup at UVA.  

don’t buy into the preston stone hype.  it won’t age well. 

Edited by futureman

Justin Wells: Saturdays From DKR - Junior Day Notes

Texas did themselves a solid when they held Elite Day last month, hosting some of the state's best for 2020. They outdid themselves with another righteous crop of prospects rolling through the first evening of Junior Day Weekend. With Texas-exes BJ Johnson and Priest Holmes stopping by, and adding a Mookie to the class was icing on the cake.

Here's some quick hitters from a busy day on the 40 Acres.

- New Offers. Texas handed out four yesterday - Joshua Eaton, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Cody Jackson, and JJ Hester. Eaton was the most excited. The 6-foot-2 corner from Aldine MacArthur was overwhelmed when coach Washington extended him an offer. It's still early, but it put UT squarely in the driver's seat for his services. After UT coaches stopped by Denton Ryan last month, they loved what they saw in the 2021 DE, Sanders. All he had to do then was make the trip to Austin, and he did. Texas joined OU, Notre Dame, and others to offer the promising edge rusher. Jackson and Hester are both really good looking receivers who picked up offers too.

Jackson, 2021 from Richmond Foster, has elite potential to go with a good frame. Hearing OU has the early lead but it's still really early. Hester, 6-foot-3, 175, is a four-star wideout from Tulsa (OK), who holds 15 offers, including Georgia. Hester is interested in the Texas program and eager to see what all the buzz is about from below the Red River. He'd like to be back soon for the Spring game.

- 2021 Quarterbacks. With Hudson Card firmly entrenched as UT's 2020 signal-caller, the staff can now slightly shift to identifying the QB for the next class. Preston Stone (6-foot-2) is the clear-cut guy on the big board and Herman and Beck have done a tremendous job here. Texas made a great impression on Preston and his mother, but they weren't surprised. He doesn't have a decision timeline, he'll cut down his list of top schools soon, just know if he committed to Texas, you shouldn't be surprised either. JJ McCarthy made the long trip from Illinois and really liked what he saw. Really good, personable kid wanted to see weather outside of Chicago. He thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Tim Beck and asking Sam Ehlinger and Roschon Johnson questions.

- Tidbits. Mookie Cooper said he came into this weekend with the idea of committing to Texas. That seed was actually planted last summer when Cooper took an unofficial to Austin he'll never forget. It was after that trip he'd told Marcus Washington (teammate and Texas signee) that he had to see Texas. So Washington took his advice, watched the Horns spank USC during his official, and fell in burnt orange love. When Marcus boarded the plane with Teryion, he was doing more than hanging with Mr. Cooper. He was making sure their long-term vision of becoming Longhorns was complete.

Higley (AZ) native Jason Harris and his family arrived late Friday and couldn't stop smiling after a day on campus. Harris is every bit of 6-foot-7, and basketball might on the table for the edge-rushing end. In hoops, Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State have all offered. He didn't speak to Shaka Smart - he was beating Oklahoma State - but whatever sport he chooses, they'll be getting a plus+ level athlete with tons of potential.

Robert Wooten, of the Stafford Wootens, is good-looking prospect at 6-foot-3, 233. Texas likes him at B-Backer and his film proves he'd be up to the task. If UT decides to offer, this recruitment won't take long.

Tunmise Adeleye keeps growing. The 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive linemen from Katy Tompkins looks like a grown-ass man. He's still a sophomore, btw. He's frequented Austin over the last nine months and has really started bonding with the players and coaches. He's a must-get in 2021.

Princely Umanmielen is another promising defensive line prospect that continues to show up in Austin. Living in Manor has its privileges. This is looking to be a Texas-Oklahoma battle for the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder from down the road. After yesterday, I'd give the Horns the slight edge. He'll attend the spring game in April.

Texas likes Myles Slusher (Broken Arrow, OK) at safety, like most schools. Nickel isn't out of the question for the UT offer either. Alabama, Oklahoma State, and LSU have offered the DB prospect, but Slusher admits UT has his interest.

Shadow Creek's Xavion Alford loved going in-depth with coach Naivar and the staff about how'd he be used in Austin. The fact that Orlando plays with six DBs at once really has his attention. LSU and A&M are the other two programs pushing hard for Alford's services. Probably for his versatility - he can play corner, nickel, or safety, in a pinch. No decision timeline here.

Kitan Crawford, the John Tyler athlete offered last week, made the trip and couldn't have been happier. At 6-foot-1, 190, the multi-sport star has been flying under the radar recently but that could change. UT likes him at corner and he's perfectly fine with that. "I'm a football player," said Crawford. "I'll play anywhere." He'll be big in the spring.

Tommy Brockermeyer is just unfair. He's one of the best 6-foot-6, 280-pound prospects I've ever seen. The Fort Worth All Saints product is still a sophomore. His older brother walked-on at Texas last fall, and despite the chance he'll be offered by every major program in America, the Longhorn legacy loves Texas, Herb Hand, and everything they have to offer.

Willowridge's Latrell Neville is noticeably larger. We me him last summer at the pool party event when he was barely 6-foot-1. Now, at 6-foot-3, 180, I see why half the country has offered the 2021 prospect. Good news; this kid loves Texas. Better news; he'll be back for the spring game. Ohio State and LSU are pushing.

Last, we met the kid from Texas High, whose Hudl I keep posting. Clayton Smith exceeded expectations at 6-foot-4, 215-220. This kid is a specimen. Texas went into detail about how they'd use the sophomore in its defensive scheme - B backer. He was thrilled. He'll be back. 

They'll host a handful of prospects today - Jahari Rogers, Landon Jackson, Savion Byrd - and wrap up o-line targets RJ Proctor and Willie Tyler's official visits this afternoon. We'll have much more over the next few days. I'm still here in Austin, while Eric and PJC are in Houston at Under Armour. Stay tuned.

6 hours ago, futureman said:

#6 player in the country should have been able to beat out Morris. I doubt they were ever letting him start over Jerry's grandson but I'm not privy to how much politics is a part of that program.