Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

#6 player in the country should have been able to beat out Morris. I doubt they were ever letting him start over Jerry's grandson but I'm not privy to how much politics is a part of that program.

jerry’s grandson won back to back state titles.  did you see him vs manvel?  I knew he’d never amount to shit in college but it’s  hard to be a better high school qb than he was his senior year.  nothing political about it. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-monday-february-18th/

Junior Days Notes | Brockermeyer
– Will Baizer

2021 OT Tommy Brockermeyer (All Saints – Fort Worth, TX)

The son of Longhorn legend Blake Brockerymeyer, the 2021 OT Tommy Brockermeyer came to Texas and was one of the last to leave after having some one-on-one time with Coach Herman.

Speaking of his father, Tommy is looking to build his own legacy away from his father, “I kind of want to have my own legacy. I want to make a decision that is mine… I don’t want people to compare me to my dad.”

According to Tommy, seeing the Longhorn facilities was the highlight of his trip, “I love seeing all the facilities and talking to Coach Herman. He showed us the new stadium. All of that was just so awesome and cool.” However, that wasn’t what will be important to his recruitment, “What’s more important to me is just the relationship and how they develop players.”

Don’t worry, according to Tommy, the Longhorns are well on their way to selling him on relationships and development already. Away from the family, Tommy told us that it is the relationships that stand out at Texas, “I can just tell Texas is a family place. I’m looking for places like that, like family places like that, relationships.”

Tommy is building those relationships within the Texas staff. With development being a huge factor for Brockermeyer, the addition of Herb Hand last year is a boon for Texas, “He’s obviously a great coach. I mean he’s developed NFL players. In his first year here he cut down the sacks by half. It’s crazy.” Tommy used Calvin Anderson as an example of the development that he appreciated from Coach Hand.

Where does Texas stand right now? “It’s definitely up there… It’s obviously up there.”

However, it’s very early in the recruitment and Texas is fighting Michigan, OU, TCU and a few other big schools for the top tier 2021 offensive tackle.

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

While I realize there are other boards, pining or whining over their behaviors here does little for context to those of us who primarily reside here. 

As to taking Stone, I’ll jump for joy. I pass on information, and sometimes it becomes a running joke or mantra, and I can’t do anything about that, and let’s be honest, rarely do I want to attempt to fix that. I mentioned Stone has a helicopter dad once, but if Herman can handle it, awesome. I’d rather have McCarthy, but it’s a win either way. It’s also a win if Stone’s situation proves toxic, because that becomes a running joke and I’ll be highly entertained. 

As long as he doesn’t show up in a limo the first day, he should be good. 

IT

BROCKERMEYERS

I caught up with Blake and his son Tommy after they made the short trip along with Tommy's twin brother James. The Brockermeyers boys are 2021 offensive linemen from Fort Worth All Saints.

Blake said they measured Tommy at 6-foot-6, 285 pounds and with an 80" wingspan. James came in at 6-foot-3, 243 pounds and a 75 inch wingspan. James only weighed 210 pounds this past season so he's gaining weight quickly. He's a good player.

Tommy is also putting on weight pretty quickly and also becoming more refined by the day. Said Blake, "he's doing things I didn't learn until I was 23." Tommy might end up a five-star and needs to be prioritized like the other 2021 studs.

Said Tommy, "We talked about the future of the program and all the new additions they're adding to it and how Texas is going to look once I graduate from high school. Also the advantages of early enrolling which is a possibility for me."

Blake echoed those sentiments on facilities, "Texas upgrades to be done by 2021, ridiculous, and good timing for the 2021 class."

IT

QUAYDARIUS DAVIS

Sunday was a little more low key for the staff, hosting a dozen or so prospects. It was another mixture of 2020 and 2021 talent on campus. One of those guys was Dallas Skyline WR Quay Davis. The fast-rising talent was eager to see Austin and what the Horns had to offer, which was an offer.

"It was a blessing to get offered by Texas," said Davis. "I had fun, really a great time. I got to meet all the coaches, watch film/plays, just a great time. I've been waiting on Texas for a long time."

UT joined Oregon, Florida, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma State among his ten offers. One of the things working for the Horns here is Recruiting Analyst Ra’Shaad Samples. The former Skyline wide receiver was instrumental in getting Davis to Austin and the staff on the 6-foot-0, 190-pounder early.

"Coach Samples is a good dude," Davis said. "He went to my school, and is just a great coach and great guy."

Davis admitted Texas is his second favorite school right now, right behind Oregon, who's already verbally extended. He also said he wants to make a decision after next season, possibly a year from now.

"I like the Oregon facilities, the coaching staff, and those jerseys too," said Davis. "I'll be visiting Oregon in three weeks. It's a lot, but Texas is in it fasho (for sure)."

The Ducks got on Davis early, sending him photos of campus and how he'd fit in their offense. But don't discount that Samples-Skyline connection. Oregon may be flashy, but Texas might be family. It's a Dallas thing.

NEWEST OFFER - CAM WHEATON 

If you didn't hear much about the Garland Lakeview Centennial sophomore tailback, that was by his design. The 2021 running back is a quiet, humble kid, not used to the recruiting scene despite holding numerous impressive offers. But more fascinating is the kid's potential.

At 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Wheaton ran a 4.37 at TCU camp last summer, and 10.6 100 meters in his freshman year in T&F. He hasn't been clocked since but he thinks he's faster this season.

He rarely reports offers and people in his camp are trying to get him out of his shell more. The fact Texas is on him early and offered yesterday puts the Horns in the mix. I'm looking forward to going to see him soon.

Edited by Machinator

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Top-performers-football-recruiting-Under-Armour-Houston-129209513/

DONOVAN JACKSON
Long-armed and agile, Bellaire (Texas) Episcopal 2021 four-star offensive tackle Donovan Jackson proved as good as any of an absolutely loaded offensive line group featured at Sunday's camp. Jackson worked at tackle and guard, but was especially good on the outside, where he won his first four 1-on-1 reps in dominant fashion with impressive point-of-attack punch and encouraging lateral mobility for a big man. Jackson, who convincingly won at least 7 of 10 reps we saw, is ranked No. 2 overall in Texas in the 2021 class and owns more than 20 offers nationally.

CODY JACKSON
While the O-line no doubt featured some serious talent, the receiver group did as well. In addition to the aforementioned Demas, Richmond (Texas) Foster 2021 wideout Cody Jackson consistently got open with his close-quarters agility and impressive route-running, especially for a younger prospect. The 6-foot, 170-pounder has already emerged as a name to know in the 2021 class with more than a dozen offers, including 10 at the Power 5 conference level.

REUBEN FATHEREE
Staying at consistently talent-laden Foster High School we have 2021 four-star offensive tackle Reuben Fatheree, one of the top players in his class in the Lone Star State. Fatheree got better and better as the day progressed. His best reps came toward the end of the 1-on-1 session as he appeared to get his legs under him against smaller speed rushers. He also showed better bend with the more work he got. The 6-foot-8, 300-pounder owns an elite frame and wears his weight well. He owns more than 20 offers nationally.

UA GAME AND FUTURE 50 INVITATIONS
Five-star wideout and Texas A&M pledge Demond Demas earned an invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game, which will be held in early January in Orlando, Fla. Demas committed to the game on the spot. Three previous UA Game commits also attended Sunday: 247Sports Composite No. 1 overall prospect Zachary Evans, four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg, and the aforementioned Texas A&M four-star DB pledge Jaylon Jones. Evans and Lindberg were limited participants in Sunday's camp. Two Future 50 invitations went out to Galena Park (Texas) North Shore 2021 quarterback Dematrius Davis and the aforementioned 2021 receiver Cody Jackson from Richmond (Texas) Foster.

-- Speaking of Dematrius Davis, he was perhaps the top performer of the camp's quarterbacks and was in consideration for Top Five Offense. Davis, who led North Shore to a 16-0 run and the Texas Class 6A Division I crown this past fall, has blown up on the recruiting trail in the past several weeks. He showed a quick release, getting the ball out fast with above average velocity. He threw for more than 3,300 yards and ran for more than 400 yards in 2018.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Wheaton's HUDL:  http://www.hudl.com/v/29Pcth

His game reminds me an awful lot of a certain future HOF RB from PA - Memorial that played for us a while ago. Someone said that Wheaton ran a 4.37 at a TCU camp and that film does nothing to make me doubt that number.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, campcrunk said:

His game reminds me an awful lot of a certain future HOF RB from PA - Memorial that played for us a while ago. Someone said that Wheaton ran a 4.37 at a TCU camp and that film does nothing to make me doubt that number.

He looks like he’s shot out of a cannon every play. Wow. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Too Bad he's all aggy and Jimbo is all in and what Jimbo wants, he gets-Looch

From TFLoss:

"Insider Note: After speaking to people around Hayden Conner, this recruitment may enter it’s sunset sooner than most. Things seem to be settling into place. I wrote very early on that the Conner’s love the idea of the Big 10. They have their favorite offers (aside from one), but was also told that Hayden has always had an eye for the Burnt Orange. If he stays in state, he’s a Longhorn."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss:

"Insider Note: After speaking to people around Hayden Conner, this recruitment may enter it’s sunset sooner than most. Things seem to be settling into place. I wrote very early on that the Conner’s love the idea of the Big 10. They have their favorite offers (aside from one), but was also told that Hayden has always had an eye for the Burnt Orange. If he stays in state, he’s a Longhorn."

Did he mention the original source?

I like a lot of the QBs in state this cycle. The kid that's at Lake Travis (Yarnell) is good. That kid from Austin High (Wright) will blow up once he bulks up some more. Kid has a cannon and produced some big numbers in a talented district. 

FYI that Yarnell kid's mom is a big Longhorn fan. I think she went to UT. Seems like dependent on development he could be a good 2nd QB take in this class if that's a route they want to go. 

I know that Wright kid is going to end up somewhere like TCU and be a pain in the ass for years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

IT on Banks

SHADRACH BANKS

One of the top national talents for 2021, North Shore's Shadrach Banks isn't too worried about this recruiting thing right now. He's still glowing after helping his Mustangs claim the 6A D1 state championship in December. Everyone in the community is glowing too. 

"It's definitely been a lot easier," said Banks. "I get a lot of recognition around town. Everyday." 

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound four-star has plenty of time to focus on recruiting at a later date. The junior-to-be holds 27 offers including, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon. He's also got teammates who are heavily involved in the recruiting process. Nothing new here. 

Getting back to Austin was a must though and Banks, whose been on the 40 Acres many times, enjoyed the trip. 

"As usual, it was real good," said Banks. "Just like all UT visits. We had a great time." 

One difference about this visit was his standing with the staff. 

"This time I had an offer," Banks explains with a mile-wide grin. "All those other times I was here, I didn't have the offer. The first time I came here I was trying to get the offer. Now I have one, and it feels good."

Banks mentioned he was on track to graduate early, December of 2020, but isn't in any hurry to drop a top schools list or commitment. He said a decision could come possibly a year from now, but it's still so early for the junior-to-be. 

No leader here, but Texas will be in the hunt along with Bama, LSU, and A&M. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I like a lot of the QBs in state this cycle. The kid that's at Lake Travis (Yarnell) is good. That kid from Austin High (Wright) will blow up once he bulks up some more. Kid has a cannon and produced some big numbers in a talented district. 

FYI that Yarnell kid's mom is a big Longhorn fan. I think she went to UT. Seems like dependent on development he could be a good 2nd QB take in this class if that's a route they want to go. 

I know that Wright kid is going to end up somewhere like TCU and be a pain in the ass for years. 

Yarnell will make a nice QB for Tech or Houston or SMU. Wright will make a good QB for Tulsa or Tulane. Texas should be and is looking at Stone, Davis, JJ, Garcia, etc...

Edited by Longhorn94

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Thank you, Machinator.

I like to visit that recruiting thread.  There isn't a ton of dialogue, so you don't have much of the uhhh...spirited banter...you get here.  It's mostly tweets/headlines and 9.95 sourced info.  It's nice when you just want the info and not have to wade through Banana'sFutureSpider.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I bet Wright gets better offers than this at the end of the process. 

i havent seen him outside his game against LT. he looked decent but nothing earth shattering. i thought he had a nice game. he has a bit of a different delivery. nice strong arm. made some good throws. but just for reference, he probably would have been the 4th or 5th qb on LT's freshman team last season and probably 2nd or 3rd on the JV team.

im pulling for the kid just like i do all Austin area players but i didnt see enough there to think he would be a Big 12 type QB.

Edited by Longhorn94

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

but just for reference, he probably would have been the 4th or 5th qb on LT's freshman team last season and probably 2nd or 3rd on the JV team.

No offense but that's laughable. 33 TDs and 3100 yards as a Sophomore in a fairly tough district at a school that doesn't have anywhere the talent level of some schools in that area. 

I think you are drastically undervaluing Wright. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

No offense but that's laughable. 31 TDs and 3100 yards as a Sophomore in a fairly tough district at a school that doesn't have anywhere the talent level of some schools in that area. 

well, on LT's freshman team last year, there was Yarnell the starter, who was offered by Houston, RJ the backup, who transferred to and started this season for Westwood's varsity, Avery the third team QB who moved corner for his soph year, and 4th was Lake Mcree who moved to TE this season on Varsity and has received offers from Arkansas and Arizona. 

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

well, on LT's freshman team last year, there was Yarnell the starter, who was offered by Houston, RJ the backup, who transferred to and started this season for Westwood's varsity, Avery the third team QB who moved corner for his soph year, and 4th was Lake Mcree who moved to TE this season on Varsity and has received offers from Arkansas and Arizona. 

Lake Travis has some good QBs and they also have lots of talent and a good system. 

Put Wright on that team and he's putting up video game numbers.