Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

I’m not sure but I don’t think the other kid is Earle either, I think it may be Zeriah Beason. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Zeriah-Beason-46037409/

Now that I look at the picture again, I'm almost certain that you're correct. That's what I get for assuming.

Edit: just say your other post

Edited by SLChorn

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Brockermeyer and Byrd end up being the 2 best Tackle's in this class.  I think Conner and D. Jackson can be swing/interior guys ( Conner did reps at Guard at the camp last week ).  

With the depth developing in this OL class and our current positioning, with a strong season this year the 2021 OL haul could be the equivalent of the 2018 DB haul. Potentially 5 top 100 OL with multiple 5* players. 

10 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Brockermeyer, Byrd, & Foster. If we can somehow pull that off I'll be a happy man. If we have to pull back one from 2020 b/c of numbers concerns then do it. 

We're in a good spot for Conner, Fatheree, and Jackson as well. It'll be interesting to see if James Brockermeyer ends up being a take. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

He's going to have to be.

Getting an Iowa offer after your sophomore season bodes well

Three 5* tackle types (Brock, and then two of the others), a 5* guard in Foster, and then a good center prospect is looking more than plausible 

IT

SAVION BYRD

Just when you think you've seen all of the state's offensive linemen, you meet a 6-foot-5, 270-pound sophomore out of Duncanville. And he's beautiful.

"I loved this," Byrd said, on his performance at the UA camp. "It went pretty fast and felt I competed well. Mainly I did this to see where I fit in with the other prospects."

The answer is near the top, Savion. Right now, only Texas and SMU are pushing for the 2021 talent, while Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, and OU have all offered. He tripped to Austin for the Junior Day Weekend recently and he started smiling when discussing the Longhorns.

"It was crazy," said Byrd. "I really love the future there and am looking to see how they do in the next two years. It's insane what they're putting on the field. (Texas) has a bright future."

For now, it's back to offseason football and T&F, where he throws the shot put. With UT's connections to Duncanville, I anticipate this relationship only getting stronger.

SCATTERSHOOTING

- FW All Saints OT Tommy Brockermeyer might be the most promising prospect in-state for 2021. Big, strong, and had little trouble in 1-on-1 sessions with camping offensive linemen. He's my early leader for No. 1 in Texas for his class.

- Aledo WR JoJo Earle is Mookie Cooper 2.0. In space, forget about it. You aren't catching these mighty mites. Earle, 2021, still talks to UT regularly and is looking at attending Texas spring game in April. More on him later this week.

- Allen 2021 WR duo of Blaine and Bryson Green catch everything. They may not be the biggest, fastest, or even quickest, but they catch every damn ball in their direction. The Texas offers might trip to Austin this summer. More from the twins later in the week.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Elite balance and footwork, especially for a guy that size.  Good pad level for a tall OL and he looks comfortable and moves well while playing low.  Blows up LBs in space both pulling and going straight to the 2nd level.  He needs to get stronger but he's got the time and the frame for that.  Would like to see a little more mean and finish at the whistle but Byrd looks like a take all the way.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Elite balance and footwork, especially for a guy that size.  Good pad level for a tall OL and he looks comfortable and moves well while playing low.  Blows up LBs in space both pulling and going straight to the 2nd level.  He needs to get stronger but he's got the time and the frame for that.  Would like to see a little more mean and finish at the whistle but Byrd looks like a take all the way.

I love Savion's game/no Homo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Getting an Iowa offer after your sophomore season bodes well

Three 5* tackle types (Brock, and then two of the others), a 5* guard in Foster, and then a good center prospect is looking more than plausible 

I know bird in my hand is better than in your bush, but should we only take 4 this year?  Any chance the 2021 class will look at the numbers and say "screw this?"

Edited by Barry_McCokiner

4 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I know bird in my hand is better than in your bush, but should we only take 4 this year?  Any chance the 2021 class will look at the numbers and say "screw this?"

Think that will work itself out on it's own. I feel like the "big 4" are the 3 we have + Lindberg. We're willing to take George to help with Evans but if he commits elsewhere I think the staff would be fine with those 4 unless a big time stud called and said they wanted to be a part of the class.

• Like 1

IT

BRYCE FOSTER - 2021

Bryce Foster was walking out of the Under Armour camp two Sundays ago at about the time he should have been getting ready to compete. I hurried over to check on him and he said he strained a muscle while throwing discus and that was going to keep him participating. Nevertheless he was still kind of happy. 

"They told me to come up here anyways and get my cleats. They actually have some that fit me." I looked down expecting to see skis and instead saw snowshoes. Guinness needs to be made aware of the width of his feet. "I can find fifteens but it's hard to find 15's and EEs." 

I couldn't help but think that footing helps the interior lineman stay balanced against stronger players. Foster has a unique build in that he's wide from stem to stern with little useless cargo. He looks like the perfect mix of a high level thrower as well as offensive lineman. At 6-foot-4 and a proportioned 315 pounds he damn sure doesn't look like a sophomore.

While the bumper crop 2021 class is known for tackles, Foster looks to be the best guard in the class and certainly one of the best in the country.

With track season upon you is recruiting on the back burner?
"Yes sir, I haven't really talked to too many coaches, I still have to call a few. I want to set up some visits for spring ball and everything."

What schools would you like to visit?
"Arkansas definitely because my dad he really likes Arkansas ever since I was little and played on a pee-wee team that was Arkansas. I definitely want to come back up to Texas and a few others but I'm not 100% sure what my plans are right now."

Are there any other 2021 o-linemen you're close to besides teammate Hayden Conner?
"I'm really close with Donovan Jackson as well as Hayden. Hayden, Donovan, and I all work together with the same o-line coach in the off-season and it's a lot of work together. We've built a lot of camaraderie there. I think personally there's a chance we may all go to the same school. We haven't really talked about it before but it could definitely be a reality."

Do you care which position you play across the offensive line?
"I personally, I can play anywhere the coach wants to put me I'll play there. I'm not going to complain. If he tells me that if I play center that I can start, I'll go to center. I want to have the opportunity to play instead of sitting. I want to build a championship culture instead of, 'I only play this or I only play that.'"

How's your relationship with Herb Hand?
"Great as ever. We have a really good relationship with each other. He's been down to Taylor a few times and every time, we always, we just can't seem to quit talking. It's refreshing because he was at a place where I didn't think I'd see him that much, you know at Auburn, and now that he's here he could come see me every week if he wanted to. Me and him have a really good relationship."

That muscle strain he recently sustained turned out to be very minor. This past weekend at C.E. King, Foster was named OL MVP of the Rivals camp. Participants included Hayden Conner and Donovan Jackson. 

Here's a good rep that illustrates the type of overall body quickness you'd expect in a high level thrower.

2021, it's loaded with offensive linemen. The staff needs to take six in that class. Herb Hand needs to be the #1 recruiter in the nation that cycle. It's entirely doable. 

LUTHERAN NORTH TRIO ON THE RADAR

With the Tom Herman era comes familiarizing ourselves with new recruiting territories like Arizona, Washington, California, and....St. Louis.

In the 2019 cycle the staff landed Marcus Washington; already in 2020 the staff has landed Mookie Cooper. They're looking for more in Stan Musial country.

Lutheran North High School alone has three players who have piqued the staff's interest. Bryan Carrington has been in contact with coaches at LN and would like them to visit. Per a coach at the high school, I think there's a good chance they'll visit Texas soon.

These first two guys make evaluating fun because they could play a number of positions. They also wouldn't look out of place on any roster in the country.

LB/DL Antonio Doyle, 6-foot-4, 230 - 2020: Plays linebacker and is being followed by Todd Orlando but if that 6-4 is legit (it looks close) then he's a better version of NaNa Osafo-Mensah from the 2019 class and is destined for the defensive line. Good mobility and initial quickness for that size. Texas looks good for defensive line prospects but he should be at the top of the contingency list if off-the-field stuff checks out. This kid has some uncommon stuff going on.

ATH Itayvion Brown, 6-foot-3, 210 - 2020: He's a respectable .8850 on the composite but he's a fun one to project. He plays wide receiver well; he plays outside linebacker well, and he's received offers for both. However, I might be seeing a Michael Henderson replacement. He's a wide kid that will weigh 240+ if he wants. Quick off the line with ball skills too. 

DE Travion Ford, 6-foot-4, 215 - 2021: Already holds Bama, LSU, and recently received A&M. Would be a B-backer in this scheme. 

ANOTHER ONE FROM MISSOURI

Lots of Lutherans running around up there apparently. 2021 defensive tackle, Gabriel Rubio, attends Lutheran of St. Charles County in Saint Peters, MO. 

Rubio is the son of Angel Rubio, who was drafted out of Southwest Missouri State by the Steelers in the 7th round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He was a 6-foot-2, 300 pound defensive tackle. Gabriel already stands 6-foot-5, 280 pounds and may ultimately be an offensive lineman.

Gabriel had this to say:

"Coach Giles visited me a few weeks ago at my high school and invited me to Junior Day. I wasn’t able to make it but am trying to visit during the Spring. He said he wants to get me on campus."

And:

"I get invited to junior days and try to make them. Once I’m on campus normally all of the coaches spend time with me. I’ve got really good feedback from Notre Dame, Iowa and Nebraska. I’ll be visiting Kansas and Ball St this weekend and Ohio State, Indiana and Kentucky in the Spring. I’ve been invited to Texas A&M, LSU and Texas, but those are longer trips."

It's mildly interesting that Giles has already been by to see Rubio.

JAKE GARCIA SET TO MAKE ANOTHER VISIT

We all know Preston Stone is at the top of the staff's 2021 wish list but despite the early good standing they won't rest on their laurels. 

Stone is the nation's early #1 signal caller but Garcia, from Narbonne (Harbor City,CA) isn't far behind as the nation's #4. Garcia says he'll be back to visit in March after loving his first visit. I believe he visited last November for the West Virginia game. 

While Stone is classified as a dual-threat and Garcia is a pro-style, I don't think there's much of an athletic difference. Both can whip it around. 

Garcia's father, Randy, played quarterback at Nebraska in the mid 70's. 

Garcia could be good leverage for Stone. If the staff lands Stone, it will be interesting to see if they then go after someone with more athleticism to make it a two quarterback class.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

BRYCE FOSTER - 2021

Bryce Foster was walking out of the Under Armour camp two Sundays ago at about the time he should have been getting ready to compete. I hurried over to check on him and he said he strained a muscle while throwing discus and that was going to keep him participating. Nevertheless he was still kind of happy. 

"They told me to come up here anyways and get my cleats. They actually have some that fit me." I looked down expecting to see skis and instead saw snowshoes. Guinness needs to be made aware of the width of his feet. "I can find fifteens but it's hard to find 15's and EEs." 

I couldn't help but think that footing helps the interior lineman stay balanced against stronger players. Foster has a unique build in that he's wide from stem to stern with little useless cargo. He looks like the perfect mix of a high level thrower as well as offensive lineman. At 6-foot-4 and a proportioned 315 pounds he damn sure doesn't look like a sophomore.

While the bumper crop 2021 class is known for tackles, Foster looks to be the best guard in the class and certainly one of the best in the country.

"Yes sir, I haven't really talked to too many coaches, I still have to call a few. I want to set up some visits for spring ball and everything."

"Arkansas definitely because my dad he really likes Arkansas ever since I was little and played on a pee-wee team that was Arkansas. I definitely want to come back up to Texas and a few others but I'm not 100% sure what my plans are right now."

Are there any other 2021 o-linemen you're close to besides teammate Hayden Conner?
"I'm really close with Donovan Jackson as well as Hayden. Hayden, Donovan, and I all work together with the same o-line coach in the off-season and it's a lot of work together. We've built a lot of camaraderie there. I think personally there's a chance we may all go to the same school. We haven't really talked about it before but it could definitely be a reality."

"I personally, I can play anywhere the coach wants to put me I'll play there. I'm not going to complain. If he tells me that if I play center that I can start, I'll go to center. I want to have the opportunity to play instead of sitting. I want to build a championship culture instead of, 'I only play this or I only play that.'"

"Great as ever. We have a really good relationship with each other. He's been down to Taylor a few times and every time, we always, we just can't seem to quit talking. It's refreshing because he was at a place where I didn't think I'd see him that much, you know at Auburn, and now that he's here he could come see me every week if he wanted to. Me and him have a really good relationship."

That muscle strain he recently sustained turned out to be very minor. This past weekend at C.E. King, Foster was named OL MVP of the Rivals camp. Participants included Hayden Conner and Donovan Jackson. 

Here's a good rep that illustrates the type of overall body quickness you'd expect in a high level thrower.

2021, it's loaded with offensive linemen. The staff needs to take six in that class. Herb Hand needs to be the #1 recruiter in the nation that cycle. It's entirely doable. 

With the Tom Herman era comes familiarizing ourselves with new recruiting territories like Arizona, Washington, California, and....St. Louis.

In the 2019 cycle the staff landed Marcus Washington; already in 2020 the staff has landed Mookie Cooper. They're looking for more in Stan Musial country.

Lutheran North High School alone has three players who have piqued the staff's interest. Bryan Carrington has been in contact with coaches at LN and would like them to visit. Per a coach at the high school, I think there's a good chance they'll visit Texas soon.

These first two guys make evaluating fun because they could play a number of positions. They also wouldn't look out of place on any roster in the country.

LB/DL Antonio Doyle, 6-foot-4, 230 - 2020: Plays linebacker and is being followed by Todd Orlando but if that 6-4 is legit (it looks close) then he's a better version of NaNa Osafo-Mensah from the 2019 class and is destined for the defensive line. Good mobility and initial quickness for that size. Texas looks good for defensive line prospects but he should be at the top of the contingency list if off-the-field stuff checks out. This kid has some uncommon stuff going on.

ATH Itayvion Brown, 6-foot-3, 210 - 2020: He's a respectable .8850 on the composite but he's a fun one to project. He plays wide receiver well; he plays outside linebacker well, and he's received offers for both. However, I might be seeing a Michael Henderson replacement. He's a wide kid that will weigh 240+ if he wants. Quick off the line with ball skills too. 

DE Travion Ford, 6-foot-4, 215 - 2021: Already holds Bama, LSU, and recently received A&M. Would be a B-backer in this scheme. 

Lots of Lutherans running around up there apparently. 2021 defensive tackle, Gabriel Rubio, attends Lutheran of St. Charles County in Saint Peters, MO. 

Rubio is the son of Angel Rubio, who was drafted out of Southwest Missouri State by the Steelers in the 7th round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He was a 6-foot-2, 300 pound defensive tackle. Gabriel already stands 6-foot-5, 280 pounds and may ultimately be an offensive lineman.

Gabriel had this to say:

"Coach Giles visited me a few weeks ago at my high school and invited me to Junior Day. I wasn’t able to make it but am trying to visit during the Spring. He said he wants to get me on campus."

And:

"I get invited to junior days and try to make them. Once I’m on campus normally all of the coaches spend time with me. I’ve got really good feedback from Notre Dame, Iowa and Nebraska. I’ll be visiting Kansas and Ball St this weekend and Ohio State, Indiana and Kentucky in the Spring. I’ve been invited to Texas A&M, LSU and Texas, but those are longer trips."

We all know Preston Stone is at the top of the staff's 2021 wish list but despite the early good standing they won't rest on their laurels. 

Stone is the nation's early #1 signal caller but Garcia, from Narbonne (Harbor City,CA) isn't far behind as the nation's #4. Garcia says he'll be back to visit in March after loving his first visit. I believe he visited last November for the West Virginia game. 

While Stone is classified as a dual-threat and Garcia is a pro-style, I don't think there's much of an athletic difference. Both can whip it around. 

Garcia could be good leverage for Stone. If the staff lands Stone, it will be interesting to see if they then go after someone with more athleticism to make it a two quarterback class.

Taking 6 OL may be tough.  Might have to just take 4 in the 2020 class to have a chance.

It's so tough to hear about these kids with terrible family situations.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Taking 6 OL may be tough.  Might have to just take 4 in the 2020 class to have a chance.

We'd have to miss on Lindberg or pass/miss on George to only take four in 2020

Taking James Brockermeyer in 2021 is why we'll take six. Byrd is looking like a stud, and could potentially give us cover for missing on someone like Jackson or Fatheree. There's also the other Episcopal kid and Cade who are worth monitoring. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-tuesday-february-26th/

Dallas Under Armour All-American Camp Notebook: Offense
– Darius Terrell

I was able to make my way over to Arlington Martin High School yesterday to take in the talent on hand at the Dallas site for the 2019 Under Armour All-American camp. There were numerous Texas targets participating in the event and yesterday was my first opportunity to get eyes on a few of them in person. Let’s get started:

It’s never too early to take a peek at the future and the 2021 class refused to be ignored on Sunday. The state of Texas has been producing quality WRs at a very high rate for nearly a decade now and 2021 appears to be a potential banner year for the position.

Aledo WR Jojo Earle (2021) is a known name to many already. He holds a Texas offer and gave opposing DBs fits all day long. He is not very big (5’9 170) and is likely limited to the slot but Earle is a dynamic athlete and has the film to back it up as well. Earle was rewarded for his efforts with an invite to the Under Armour Future 50 event.

Allen WRs Bryson and Blaine Green (2021) are two players that are already being heavily recruited and after seeing them in person it is extremely easy to see why. The twins are both in the 6’2 190lb range and very impressive physically. They are hard to tell apart in general and their skillsets are similar as well. The Green twins have excellent footwork and showed off some impressive hands making numerous acrobatic grabs on the day. I expect them to both be among the highest rated players in-state for 2021. After speaking to Bryson at the conclusion of camp, he informed me that Texas has already offered both and that they have recently been in contact with Texas Wide Receivers Coach Drew Mehringer.

Plano John Paul II WR Jerand Bradley (2021) is going to be a name to keep an eye on in the future. Bradley measured over 6’4 210lbs on Sunday and his ball skills were on display early and often. While speaking to Bradley after the camp, he reported early offers from Arkansas and Colorado while also mentioning being a big fan of both Oklahoma and Texas growing up. I believe that Bradley, who is also a standout Basketball player, has a chance to grow into a dominant Tight End/H-Back type player at the next level. By this time next year, he will have offers from every major program in the region. Very high character young man.

Denton Ryan ATH JaTavion Sanders (2021) is not a new name to me. I’ve seen Sanders play live and came away believing that he was the best player on the field at the 5A level of a Texas High School playoff game. Sanders is measured in at 6’4 215 lbs at the camp on Sunday. He didn’t participate in a ton of reps, but when he did his fluidity and ball skills at his size were a matchup nightmare for every DB that he faced. Sanders should be a top 10 prospect in-state in 2021 and will likely be unanimously considered a national top-75 type prospect regardless of position (TE or DE).

Denton Ryan WR/CB Billy Bowman Jr. (2021) was an All-State selection this past season as a Cornerback after recording 5 interceptions (3 returned for TD) and 7 PBUs as a Sophomore for a traditional 5A power program. Bowman spent the day working at WR and showed off some electric physical traits, but he is likely going to be a very highly rated DB. Bowman is extremely well put together for his age (5’11 185) and will be considered a top 20 in-state prospect this time next year.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-tuesday-february-26th/

Hide contents

Dallas Under Armour All-American Camp Notebook: Offense
– Darius Terrell

I was able to make my way over to Arlington Martin High School yesterday to take in the talent on hand at the Dallas site for the 2019 Under Armour All-American camp. There were numerous Texas targets participating in the event and yesterday was my first opportunity to get eyes on a few of them in person. Let’s get started:

It’s never too early to take a peek at the future and the 2021 class refused to be ignored on Sunday. The state of Texas has been producing quality WRs at a very high rate for nearly a decade now and 2021 appears to be a potential banner year for the position.

Aledo WR Jojo Earle (2021) is a known name to many already. He holds a Texas offer and gave opposing DBs fits all day long. He is not very big (5’9 170) and is likely limited to the slot but Earle is a dynamic athlete and has the film to back it up as well. Earle was rewarded for his efforts with an invite to the Under Armour Future 50 event.

Allen WRs Bryson and Blaine Green (2021) are two players that are already being heavily recruited and after seeing them in person it is extremely easy to see why. The twins are both in the 6’2 190lb range and very impressive physically. They are hard to tell apart in general and their skillsets are similar as well. The Green twins have excellent footwork and showed off some impressive hands making numerous acrobatic grabs on the day. I expect them to both be among the highest rated players in-state for 2021. After speaking to Bryson at the conclusion of camp, he informed me that Texas has already offered both and that they have recently been in contact with Texas Wide Receivers Coach Drew Mehringer.

Plano John Paul II WR Jerand Bradley (2021) is going to be a name to keep an eye on in the future. Bradley measured over 6’4 210lbs on Sunday and his ball skills were on display early and often. While speaking to Bradley after the camp, he reported early offers from Arkansas and Colorado while also mentioning being a big fan of both Oklahoma and Texas growing up. I believe that Bradley, who is also a standout Basketball player, has a chance to grow into a dominant Tight End/H-Back type player at the next level. By this time next year, he will have offers from every major program in the region. Very high character young man.

Denton Ryan ATH JaTavion Sanders (2021) is not a new name to me. I’ve seen Sanders play live and came away believing that he was the best player on the field at the 5A level of a Texas High School playoff game. Sanders is measured in at 6’4 215 lbs at the camp on Sunday. He didn’t participate in a ton of reps, but when he did his fluidity and ball skills at his size were a matchup nightmare for every DB that he faced. Sanders should be a top 10 prospect in-state in 2021 and will likely be unanimously considered a national top-75 type prospect regardless of position (TE or DE).

Denton Ryan WR/CB Billy Bowman Jr. (2021) was an All-State selection this past season as a Cornerback after recording 5 interceptions (3 returned for TD) and 7 PBUs as a Sophomore for a traditional 5A power program. Bowman spent the day working at WR and showed off some electric physical traits, but he is likely going to be a very highly rated DB. Bowman is extremely well put together for his age (5’11 185) and will be considered a top 20 in-state prospect this time next year.

Soooooo many WRs in the state

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

BRYCE FOSTER - 2021

Gabriel had this to say:

And:

This 2021 class is absurd. This may end up being the most talented crop of in-state OL since, idk, ever? They at least have to be the most impressive group this early in the cycle. There’s already like 6 obvious top 300 OL by the end of their sophomore year.

i still have some questions about Fatheree. He’s like 6’8, 6’9 and I’m not sure how much more he can grow before his height becomes an issue for him. Regardless, we should just gun for all 6 or 7 of them and hope to end up with a solid class of 5-6. 

The Hand hire just continues to pay off. Literally ever OL, from current guys to 2020 to 2021 to GTs, rave about him at every opportunity. 

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This may end up being the most talented crop of in-state OL since, idk, ever?

Most talented in-state position group since?

There's already about eight potential top 100 types and about five top 30 types identified