Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm not a Spurs fan.

Or a real person.

7 hours ago, nycHorn said:

I like to visit that recruiting thread.  There isn't a ton of dialogue, so you don't have much of the uhhh...spirited banter...you get here.  It's mostly tweets/headlines and 9.95 sourced info.  It's nice when you just want the info and not have to wade through Banana'sFutureSpider.

“Banana’sFutureSpider” fuckin lulz. 

I guess the shaggy version would be cdTROcko. 

• Like 1

IT

In this post we'll discuss two wide receivers and two defensive linemen. Each player profiles as a top-15 prospect in an average cycle and each already holds an offer, with Cody Jackson and Ja'Tavion Sanders receiving theirs this past weekend while in Austin.

Because of my love for Bellville, Texas, we'll start with Jackson.

CODY JACKSON, RICHMOND FOSTER

It was quite the bummer for Bellville locals when Jackson relocated closer to the bright lights. At Foster, he's found a fantastic situation with quarterback Ryan Stubblefield (2020), and of course all-everything offensive tackle Reuben Fatheree. 

How good is Cody in his own right? Said one Foster coach, "it's like getting CeeDee Lamb all over again." 

That isn't the only tie he has to a well known receiver, as he's related through his mother's side to Emanuel Sanders. 

At a still growing 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Jackson's recent run of offers matches his traits and sophomore production (57 receptions, 1053 yards, 12 touchdowns). In recent months he has picked up LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Oklahoma, TCU, and many more.

On picking up a Texas offer and his feelings about the school:
"It means a lot to me, it's one of the top schools on my list. I grew up loving the system, loving the coaches, and watching every day."

The visit and where Texas stands:
"It was real good. That puts Texas at the top, one of the top on my list." 

The only other visit he had planned was LSU for this past Monday. 

I was just as anxious to catch up with Jackson's parents. As I mentioned in the Prospects Board, Cody's father is from Brenham and spent a lot of time talking to the father of Marqez Bimage, who Herman uses as a liaison to parents. Ronnie Jackson and Willie Bimage already knew each other quite well.

It's worth a mention that Cody's mother was quite the speedster herself, having ran on Bellville's State Championship winning 4 x 100 meter relay (49.04) as freshman. 

There's a long way to go in this recruitment but UT is off to a good start.

LATRELL NEVILLE, FORT BEND WILLOWRIDGE

Neville only played in seven games so his production was limited to 17 receptions and 21 carries but that hasn't stopped him from picking up big offers. He already holds all the offers a kid could want, including Georgia, Bama, and Ohio State. Texas was fairly early to the party having offered in mid-December.

On what stood out:
"Amazing, nothing like it. I really bonded with the coaches and enjoyed that the most."

Highlights: 
“The film room. Most important with me is development. I’ve seen that a lot with the receiver corps. It amazed me. I’ve never seen anything like it at any other program. That’s real big. That’s big on me.”

How did they show development?: 
“It was crazy because you could actually see the transition of guys from when they first came in and now. Coach Mehringer and Coach Meekins are definitely doing a good job of developing those guys.”

Where Texas currently sits:
"Top-3 most definitely, even though it's early in my recruitment. I'm not really leaning towards any school but the way that these guys treat me every time I'm on campus, it's like, words can't even explain. I really do enjoy being here I'll definitely be here a lot more."

Upcoming visits:
"I'm going to be so many other places. I'm going to LSU tomorrow, heading to Georgia soon, Alabama, as well as Penn State, Nebraska, and Miami."

Recruiting in general: 
“Just really taking it as slow as possible and staying level-headed. As quick as it came, it can be taken away. Most importantly, I’m staying grateful.”

Early intel on Neville suggests Texas was the original offer he coveted but he's got a long way to go before his *checks notes* September 15th, 2020 announcement. 

Neville is currently about 6-foot-2, or 6-foot-3 and a well built 190 pounds. He will likely be an X. 

TUNMISE ADELEYE, KATY TOMPKINS

We always talk about fits, well Tunmise Adeleye (Too-me-shay Adel-ay) certainly has that as a gap shredding d-lineman who can play up and down the line. At about 6-foot-2.5 and 260 pounds he plays with strength and urgency out of his stance. He has some flexibility to him that enables good pass rush too. When the networks missed on Marcus Stripling, that was a big reason. Adeleye has no such concerns.

He currently holds all the regional offers, LSU included, and even an Alabama one that will be real when the time comes.

On the visit and Texas in general:
"It was good, the University of Texas is a great place. I love being here. Every time I come down here it's a great time. Family atmosphere. Coach Herman is really selective on who he offers, especially at an early age. I feel like it's a privilege to get offered by Texas early. It showed me that they have a lot of interest in me. When Coach Giles engages me he really shows me that I'm really an athlete he wants on the team. I just love engaging with the coaching staff every single time I come down."

On his dad's preference. Adeleye has stated his father likes OU:
"You know, my dad has his favorites and I have mine. With Texas it's more of a logical thing, he likes Texas from an academic standpoint compared to other schools; you know because it's really hard to get into Texas just as a regular student. Academically my dad really likes Texas."

Upcoming visits:
"Alabama. I'm trying to get down to Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas." 

We sure are hearing a lot about family atmosphere. That was probably the number one thing mentioned by kids who committed during the Mack Brown era.

It sounds like the staff will need to work to win over the dad.

JA'TAVION SANDERS, DENTON GUYER

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better young athlete for B-backer that also already holds the requisite size at 6-foot-3.5 and 224 pounds. Whether he's playing with his hand in the ground at defensive end and dropping into coverage or playing wide receiver, Sanders flashes tons of unique movement skills and burst.

After being visited by Herman in January and being told a spring offer was likely, Sanders picked up the coveted Texas offer on Saturday.

Initial impressions of Texas:
"The coaches are all very special. Coach Herman, what he's done over the past year is special."

Did they offer:
"Yessir, they did offer me. Coach Herman did it himself. I was very proud of that. All my family is die-hard Longhorn fans. Can't wait to tell them."

Other than the offer what else did the coaches tell him:
"Coach Herman, he said overall he likes me. I have a nice body, I'm a good young man, my grades are good, and that's what he's looking for."

Visits and schools of interest and upcoming visits:
"As of right now I've only visited SMU and Texas. OU, and OSU, and TCU [schools he also hears from a lot]. Next week I'm going to OU and then in March I'm going to OSU and TCU."

I'm following 2021 recruiting almost as closely as 2020 because Texas needs to load up in both to make yearly playoff runs possible, if not likely. With the talent in each class, talent won't be the reason the program comes up short.

My working assumption is whatever the quality of the 2020 class, 2021 will closely mirror it.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

In this post we'll discuss two wide receivers and two defensive linemen. Each player profiles as a top-15 prospect in an average cycle and each already holds an offer, with Cody Jackson and Ja'Tavion Sanders receiving theirs this past weekend while in Austin.

Because of my love for Bellville, Texas, we'll start with Jackson. 

CODY JACKSON, RICHMOND FOSTER

It was quite the bummer for Bellville locals when Jackson relocated closer to the bright lights. At Foster, he's found a fantastic situation with quarterback Ryan Stubblefield (2020), and of course all-everything offensive tackle Reuben Fatheree. 

How good is Cody in his own right? Said one Foster coach, "it's like getting CeeDee Lamb all over again." 

That isn't the only tie he has to a well known receiver, as he's related through his mother's side to Emanuel Sanders. 

At a still growing 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Jackson's recent run of offers matches his traits and sophomore production (57 receptions, 1053 yards, 12 touchdowns). In recent months he has picked up LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Oklahoma, TCU, and many more.

On picking up a Texas offer and his feelings about the school:
"It means a lot to me, it's one of the top schools on my list. I grew up loving the system, loving the coaches, and watching every day." 

The visit and where Texas stands:
"It was real good. That puts Texas at the top, one of the top on my list." 

The only other visit he had planned was LSU for this past Monday. 

I was just as anxious to catch up with Jackson's parents. As I mentioned in the Prospects Board, Cody's father is from Brenham and spent a lot of time talking to the father of Marqez Bimage, who Herman uses as a liaison to parents. Ronnie Jackson and Willie Bimage already knew each other quite well.

It's worth a mention that Cody's mother was quite the speedster herself, having ran on Bellville's State Championship winning 4 x 100 meter relay (49.04) as freshman.  

There's a long way to go in this recruitment but UT is off to a good start. 

LATRELL NEVILLE, FORT BEND WILLOWRIDGE 

Neville only played in seven games so his production was limited to 17 receptions and 21 carries but that hasn't stopped him from picking up big offers. He already holds all the offers a kid could want, including Georgia, Bama, and Ohio State. Texas was fairly early to the party having offered in mid-December.

On what stood out:
"Amazing, nothing like it. I really bonded with the coaches and enjoyed that the most."

Highlights: 
“The film room. Most important with me is development. I’ve seen that a lot with the receiver corps. It amazed me. I’ve never seen anything like it at any other program. That’s real big. That’s big on me.” 

How did they show development?: 
“It was crazy because you could actually see the transition of guys from when they first came in and now. Coach Mehringer and Coach Meekins are definitely doing a good job of developing those guys.” 

Where Texas currently sits:
"Top-3 most definitely, even though it's early in my recruitment. I'm not really leaning towards any school but the way that these guys treat me every time I'm on campus, it's like, words can't even explain. I really do enjoy being here I'll definitely be here a lot more."

Upcoming visits:
"I'm going to be so many other places. I'm going to LSU tomorrow, heading to Georgia soon, Alabama, as well as Penn State, Nebraska, and Miami."

Recruiting in general: 
“Just really taking it as slow as possible and staying level-headed. As quick as it came, it can be taken away. Most importantly, I’m staying grateful.”

Early intel on Neville suggests Texas was the original offer he coveted but he's got a long way to go before his *checks notes* September 15th, 2020 announcement. 

Neville is currently about 6-foot-2, or 6-foot-3 and a well built 190 pounds. He will likely be an X. 

TUNMISE ADELEYE, KATY TOMPKINS

We always talk about fits, well Tunmise Adeleye (Too-me-shay Adel-ay) certainly has that as a gap shredding d-lineman who can play up and down the line. At about 6-foot-2.5 and 260 pounds he plays with strength and urgency out of his stance. He has some flexibility to him that enables good pass rush too. When the networks missed on Marcus Stripling, that was a big reason. Adeleye has no such concerns. 

He currently holds all the regional offers, LSU included, and even an Alabama one that will be real when the time comes.

On the visit and Texas in general:
"It was good, the University of Texas is a great place. I love being here. Every time I come down here it's a great time. Family atmosphere. Coach Herman is really selective on who he offers, especially at an early age. I feel like it's a privilege to get offered by Texas early. It showed me that they have a lot of interest in me. When Coach Giles engages me he really shows me that I'm really an athlete he wants on the team. I just love engaging with the coaching staff every single time I come down." 

On his dad's preference. Adeleye has stated his father likes OU:
"You know, my dad has his favorites and I have mine. With Texas it's more of a logical thing, he likes Texas from an academic standpoint compared to other schools; you know because it's really hard to get into Texas just as a regular student. Academically my dad really likes Texas."

Upcoming visits:
"Alabama. I'm trying to get down to Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas." 

We sure are hearing a lot about family atmosphere. That was probably the number one thing mentioned by kids who committed during the Mack Brown era.

It sounds like the staff will need to work to win over the dad. 

JA'TAVION SANDERS, DENTON GUYER 

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better young athlete for B-backer that also already holds the requisite size at 6-foot-3.5 and 224 pounds. Whether he's playing with his hand in the ground at defensive end and dropping into coverage or playing wide receiver, Sanders flashes tons of unique movement skills and burst.

After being visited by Herman in January and being told a spring offer was likely, Sanders picked up the coveted Texas offer on Saturday.

Initial impressions of Texas:
"The coaches are all very special. Coach Herman, what he's done over the past year is special."

Did they offer:
"Yessir, they did offer me. Coach Herman did it himself. I was very proud of that. All my family is die-hard Longhorn fans. Can't wait to tell them."

Other than the offer what else did the coaches tell him:
"Coach Herman, he said overall he likes me. I have a nice body, I'm a good young man, my grades are good, and that's what he's looking for."

Visits and schools of interest and upcoming visits:
"As of right now I've only visited SMU and Texas. OU, and OSU, and TCU [schools he also hears from a lot]. Next week I'm going to OU and then in March I'm going to OSU and TCU."

I'm following 2021 recruiting almost as closely as 2020 because Texas needs to load up in both to make yearly playoff runs possible, if not likely. With the talent in each class, talent won't be the reason the program comes up short.

My working assumption is whatever the quality of the 2020 class, 2021 will closely mirror it.

Who was that poster that said Adeleye was a lock because his dad was Nigerian? Sounds like dad might not quite be the academic he assumed.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-wednesday-february-20th/

Under Armour Houston Camp Notes and Interviews
– Will Baizer

2021 OT Hayden Conner – (Katy Taylor – Katy, TX)

While it is early in his recruitment, Hayden Conner is solidifying himself as one of the top players in the nation. With that comes some national

“I have a top three, and I’m looking to hopefully add a fourth into that… UT is a top three.” If I had to take a guess at who else is in that top three I would say Michigan and Wisconsin join Texas.

As is becoming a theme amongst Texas recruiting, Herb Hand is a big reason that Conner is enamored with the Longhorns: “He’s an awesome guy. I love hanging out with him whenever I go up to campus. I know that he cooks for his guys every Friday, so that’s a positive.”

Insider Note: After speaking to people around Hayden Conner, this recruitment may enter it’s sunset sooner than most. Things seem to be settling into place. I wrote very early on that the Conner’s love the idea of the Big 10. They have their favorite offers (aside from one), but was also told that Hayden has always had an eye for the Burnt Orange. If he stays in state, he’s a Longhorn.

2021 OT Donovan Jackson – (Episcopal – Houston, TX)

Just two weeks ago, the elite offensive tackle made his way to Texas’ Elite Day: “I loved it. It was definitely one of my favorite ones. I spent the whole day with Herb Hand and some of the GAs going around the campus, touring the facilities, and talking to some of the academic advisors (which my mom appreciated). It was definitely a fun visit.”

The more we talked with Donovan about his different schools of interest, the more Texas kept popping up, until an A&M reporter asked about what it is that has him so high on Texas: “They’ve always stood high with me. I’m the only Texas boy in my family, so I grew up watching Texas football, Aggie football, and all that. So I always dreamed of being at one of the big Power-5 state schools. Texas is definitely one of those schools I’m very interested in.”

Next up for Jackson is the Ohio State Spring Game and Georgia in March.

Junior Day Notes | Part 2| Adeleye, Jackson
– CJ Vogel

Massive contributions from Will on this piece.

Tunmise Adeleye

Despite being a 2021 graduate, Tunmise Adeleye was one of the most important recruits on campus this weekend.

Adeleye was really impressed with the feedback he received from current Texas players during his visit. In fact, he has made it a point to make sure he understands what each program brings through talking with the players: “I talk to Peter Mpagi, you talk to players, especially ones that early enrolled and they tell you how it is and how they like it, it’s always good to hear from them rather than coaches.”

Adeleye expanded by saying Mpagi told him “Texas was not for everybody the way they work, it’s for a certain type of athlete.”

When Adeleye visited two weeks ago, he spent time with Tom Herman going over the new stadium renovations in plan, and it is safe to say Adeleye is a fan. “The atmosphere is already electric and the additions that they are making are going to be even better.”

Texas is hot on the trail for Adeleye, and they are joined by Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Arkansas. Currently, Adeleye sits at 6-foot, 4 inches and 255 pounds.

Cody Jackson

What will be a big 2021 target, Cody Jackson out of Richmond, Texas, made the trip to Austin for the Junior Day as well.

While Oklahoma is pegged as the early leader for Jackson, he really enjoyed his time down on the 40 Acres. “[The visit] was great. I loved the atmosphere here and I love the coaches, they connect with me. They make it feel like home.”

Jackson was offered during the Junior Day and called it “amazing.” He added that Texas is easily somewhere in his top five schools with Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan and LSU early on.

He added he will be back in Austin for the spring game in April.

Junior Day Notes | Part 3 | Neville, Stone, Banks
– CJ Vogel

Latrell Neville

Perhaps the top 2021 wide receiver in the state was back on campus once again this weekend as a key recruit in Texas’ Junior Day festivities. Neville has offers from essentially every major program in the country and will be one of the most coveted players in his class.

Neville left the junior day with a new admiration for the Longhorns receiving core and how he could fit in the offense at the next level: “The receiver core, I’ve never seen nothing like it. Guys are really developed, sharp, body control, especially for big guys like myself. Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Collin [Johnson] those are big dudes. And the way they run routes so smooth, that’s what I want to be like.”

During his visit, Neville spent most of his time with WR Coach Drew Mehringer who will play an instrumental role in his recruitment for the Longhorns. “We bonded a lot. When I talk to coaches, I really don’t like to talk [football]. Let’s talk personal, I want to get to know you… We talked the last two days over the night and stuff like that, and once I got on campus we hung out, literally together the whole day.”

“Me and [Mehringer] have a real good relationship and I look forward to building that over the next two years.”

Neville certainly will not be committing any time soon. The current timetable for his commitment watch is set for September 15, 2020.

Preston Stone

The Longhorns hosted their top 2021 quarterback prospect, Preston Stone, this weekend. The 6-foot, 2-inch quarterback out of Parish Episcopal has been on the Longhorns’ radar for a while and there’s reason to think Texas is the team to beat.

Stone was in attendance during Tom Herman’s presentation showcasing the South End Zone renovations as well as the Texas Hall of Fame that is expected to go near the north entrance. Stone raved about his time touring the facilities. “Seeing all of the facilities today has been really, really cool… It’s cool to know that there is something cookin’ at Texas.”

For Stone, playing at a contending team at the next level is high on his priority list. The momentum Texas built at the end of this season certainly played into his wishes.”When it comes time for me to make a decision, that is one of the things that I will be looking for is a winning culture. This past year, I think that is something Texas did a really good job of establishing themselves amongst other schools.”

The improvements made by quarterback Sam Ehlinger from his freshman to sophomore season have certainly caught the eye of Stone as well. “I don’t think there’s any other quarterback in the country from freshman year to sophomore year development that has grown as much as Sam Ehlinger.”

As for his meetings with Herman, Stone said he and his mother visited Herman in his office for some one-on-one time during the visit. “He really just told me about the plans that they have for the next few years, facilities and the team, and he let me know that they were really interested in.”

Aside from the new stadium renovations or locker room flash, Stone said the most impressive part of the visit was seeing “all the talent that [Texas] had here.” He raved about seeing Bru McCoy with a Longhorn logo across his chest and Jordan Whittington with his Texas gear on as well.

Shadrach Banks

One of, if not the, top wide receiver in the state of Texas right now for the 2021 class, Shadrach Banks has blown up on the scene. However, the Texas love has been consistent throughout. Of his trip, Banks told us, “It was good as usual. The usual visit at UT. I had a good time… Every other time I came here I didn’t have an offer… I first when I was coming here, I was trying to get the offer.”

The end of his recruitment is far off, and he now has 27 different offers to choose from. His timeline as of now is to pick his school during the summer of 2020 and sign for early signing day and enroll early.

Going forward he’ll be visiting Oregon and Oklahoma, but plans to be back in Austin for a spring practice in March.

It’s safe to say that Texas will easily be one of the final (at least five) schools he will be choosing from.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised on the TFB piece about Hayden Conner.  Of course I've always thought we are in a better spot for the OL guys of class than aggy and others think.

Herb Hand is killing it, while the new aggy coach is still creating his 2020 board, and deciding what to do with the loaves of bread Turner left in the cupboard. Hand almost has 2020 sewn up, so he's already getting to focus some time on 2021.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised on the TFB piece about Hayden Conner.  Of course I've always thought we are in a better spot for the OL guys of class than aggy and others think.

Isn’t he supposed to be on campus sometime in March? Will be interesting to watch the next time he visits. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

who was the last maroon qb to beat westlake?

I think the last time we beat Westlake was before I was born( I'm in college). I think it was the early 1990s. 

Edited by rvm96
Post above disputes my statement

Tommy Brockermeyer is probably going to be a top 5 or top 10 prospect in the 2021 class. Expect for him to vault into the high 5 star range, and early, if the services are paying attention. They need to offer his brother, the center prospect, and have these guys committed and helping soon. 

Separately, Wheaton could wind up being a 5 star in this class as well. 

If Texas nears its ceiling for. 2019, the 2021 class will continue the string of top 3-5 classes. They’ll get whoever they want in 2021 if they win the conference and play in a NY6 bowl. 

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Ha, forgot it was back to back. Austin High's 2007 quarterback was Josh Page, not sure who Westlake's was. But that does mean another Westlake Super Bowl winner had a loss to the Maroons (Justin Tucker).

so were those austin high’s greatest teams ever or did westlake just suck for two years?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Tommy Brockermeyer is probably going to be a top 5 or top 10 prospect in the 2021 class. Expect for him to vault into the high 5 star range, and early, if the services are paying attention. They need to offer his brother, the center prospect, and have these guys committed and helping soon. 

Separately, Wheaton could wind up being a 5 star in this class as well. 

If Texas nears its ceiling for. 2019, the 2021 class will continue the string of top 3-5 classes. They’ll get whoever they want in 2021 if they win the conference and play in a NY6 bowl. 

Hayden Conner really speaking well of Herb Hand and Texas of late. Do you see Texas start to take any 2021 kids if they are looking to make a choice? With Jackson, Feathree, Conner, Foster and the brothers Brockermeyer already looked at as targets. Do you see Texas taking early ones after a potential 5 man haul this year?

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

There are no great teams on the Austin High scale. Only teams that don’t suck as much.

Oh really? What about the 1889 team that went 11-0-1 with the only tie being against the Central Texas Normal School for Cherokee Orphans? Or what about the 1913 team that went undefeated due to an outbreak of Spanish flu canceling the entire season? I'd put those teams up against last year's North Shore team in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Oh really? What about the 1889 team that went 11-0-1 with the only tie being against the Central Texas Normal School for Cherokee Orphans? Or what about the 1913 team that went undefeated due to an outbreak of Spanish flu canceling the entire season? I'd put those teams up against last year's North Shore team in a heartbeat. 

giphy.gif