Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

(Justin Wells) UT goes hunting in East Texas

PLEASANT GROVE 2021 D-LINE DUO

"It's fun," said Marcus Burris. "Being here today makes me want to grind harder. Talking to the coaches, it makes me feel like I need to put myself in a position to be here. Not many people get this opportunity."

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive tackle had a promising 2018 season after teammate, Landon Jackson, went down for the year with a knee injury. It gave Burris the opportunity to shine as he helped Pleasant Grove back to the 4A state championship game. He's still a virtual unknown on the recruiting scene with only one offer; Texas State. That will change though.

"I'm visiting LSU real soon," said Burris. "Arkansas and TCU want me on campus too."

It's only a matter of time before Burris is a household name. His teammate Jackson, who visited the Horns that day as well, is no stranger to the recruiting game.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound defensive end picked up his first offer almost a year ago from Texas A&M. OU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have pushed his offers to double digits. UT offered last September and Alabama joined the fray today.

"It was the same as usual," Jackson explained about his Austin trip. "I always like coming here. Really nice campus, facilities are really nice, and just being around the coaches."

Jackson, whose father played basketball at Texas A&M in the 80s and mother who played college volleyball, comes from an athletic family.

"I'll always like A&M because of my dad," Jackson said. "But that's not going to be the reason I go where I go just because my dad played there. I think that mindset and assumption is dumb. You have to go where you feel is right, not where your father went."

Warehime and Giles have been tremendous to the junior-to-be from Texarkana, which is why the Horns look good right now. He's mature beyond his years and loves UT's approach to his recruitment.

"I'm really cool with coach Giles," said Jackson. "He's definitely the closest coach in college I talk with. I talk with him a lot. He's a great guy."

He'll see more schools this spring, including LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. He'll be at Arizona this weekend. He'll also attend UT's spring game in the next few months.

SPECIMEN: CLAYTON SMITH

In the recruiting world, most players' measureables are often rounded up when the coaches, writers are unsure of a prospect's size and speed. If they say he's "6'2, 215," he's often "6'1, 198." Before Clayton Smith arrived to Austin, I was told 6'4, 220, by his HS coach. 

When Smith walked out of Moncrief, Eric and I looked at each other like, "who the **** is that?" That happened to be the Texas High sophomore linebacker making his very first recruiting visit. He told us 6-foot-4, 215, for the record. He looks bigger.

Smith, who runs the 200, 400, and 4x100 for the Tigers, looked like a specimen from the Build A Prospect store in the mall. His entire family made the trip, including his older brother who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

"This was a great experience and I didn't realize Texas was so nice," said Smith. "Great environment, great weight room, and great facilities. I look forward to coming back."

Smith got a chance to watch film with coach Orlando, as Texas sees him as the ideal fit in its scheme. He'd bring a lot to the table in Austin.

"Great leadership first," Smith said. "I have a great work ethic and would bring that everyday. I'm an outside linebacker, defensive end type right now, but UT calls it the B-backer. I got to speak with coach Herman too. He had a lot of nice things to say about me, that he loved my film, and he looks forward to seeing me return."

He'll return to the ATX for UT's spring game in April, visit Texas A&M next month, and compete at the Under Armour camp this weekend in Arlington, where PJC and myself will be.

JEFFERSON DB IS MOVING ON UP

The name Lyrik Rawls isn't new to the board at IT. We've mentioned the budding 2021 star safety a handful of times to prepare you for what's next; lots of offers. The Texas staff identified Rawls early while watching Arkansas signee TQ Jackson’s film. Every few clips, the "who is that dude?" question was asked.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Rawls combines speed and agility with raw, head-hunting tackles. He might smile a lot off the field, but on Friday nights he's a different dude. This wasn't the first time he visited UT. He did get to hang out with coach Naivar in the film room and left the 40 Acres with another big smile.

"Man, it's beautiful here," Rawls said. "I liked everything about it. The weight room is beautiful, and I really like how the positional groups are set up. It allowed me 1-on-1 time with coach Naivar and to see how I'd fit at Texas. I learned stuff today."

He'll hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps over the next few weeks, then the satellite camp circuit this summer. Arkansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Missouri are also on the radar but getting back to Austin for another visit seems to be his top priority.

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Justin Wells) UT goes hunting in East Texas

Reveal hidden contents

PLEASANT GROVE 2021 D-LINE DUO

"It's fun," said Marcus Burris. "Being here today makes me want to grind harder. Talking to the coaches, it makes me feel like I need to put myself in a position to be here. Not many people get this opportunity."

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive tackle had a promising 2018 season after teammate, Landon Jackson, went down for the year with a knee injury. It gave Burris the opportunity to shine as he helped Pleasant Grove back to the 4A state championship game. He's still a virtual unknown on the recruiting scene with only one offer; Texas State. That will change though.

"I'm visiting LSU real soon," said Burris. "Arkansas and TCU want me on campus too."

It's only a matter of time before Burris is a household name. His teammate Jackson, who visited the Horns that day as well, is no stranger to the recruiting game.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound defensive end picked up his first offer almost a year ago from Texas A&M. OU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have pushed his offers to double digits. UT offered last September and Alabama joined the fray today.

"It was the same as usual," Jackson explained about his Austin trip. "I always like coming here. Really nice campus, facilities are really nice, and just being around the coaches."

Jackson, whose father played basketball at Texas A&M in the 80s and mother who played college volleyball, comes from an athletic family.

"I'll always like A&M because of my dad," Jackson said. "But that's not going to be the reason I go where I go just because my dad played there. I think that mindset and assumption is dumb. You have to go where you feel is right, not where your father went."

Warehime and Giles have been tremendous to the junior-to-be from Texarkana, which is why the Horns look good right now. He's mature beyond his years and loves UT's approach to his recruitment.

"I'm really cool with coach Giles," said Jackson. "He's definitely the closest coach in college I talk with. I talk with him a lot. He's a great guy."

He'll see more schools this spring, including LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. He'll be at Arizona this weekend. He'll also attend UT's spring game in the next few months.

SPECIMEN: CLAYTON SMITH

In the recruiting world, most players' measureables are often rounded up when the coaches, writers are unsure of a prospect's size and speed. If they say he's "6'2, 215," he's often "6'1, 198." Before Clayton Smith arrived to Austin, I was told 6'4, 220, by his HS coach. 

When Smith walked out of Moncrief, Eric and I looked at each other like, "who the **** is that?" That happened to be the Texas High sophomore linebacker making his very first recruiting visit. He told us 6-foot-4, 215, for the record. He looks bigger.

Smith, who runs the 200, 400, and 4x100 for the Tigers, looked like a specimen from the Build A Prospect store in the mall. His entire family made the trip, including his older brother who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

"This was a great experience and I didn't realize Texas was so nice," said Smith. "Great environment, great weight room, and great facilities. I look forward to coming back."

Smith got a chance to watch film with coach Orlando, as Texas sees him as the ideal fit in its scheme. He'd bring a lot to the table in Austin.

"Great leadership first," Smith said. "I have a great work ethic and would bring that everyday. I'm an outside linebacker, defensive end type right now, but UT calls it the B-backer. I got to speak with coach Herman too. He had a lot of nice things to say about me, that he loved my film, and he looks forward to seeing me return."

He'll return to the ATX for UT's spring game in April, visit Texas A&M next month, and compete at the Under Armour camp this weekend in Arlington, where PJC and myself will be.

JEFFERSON DB IS MOVING ON UP

The name Lyrik Rawls isn't new to the board at IT. We've mentioned the budding 2021 star safety a handful of times to prepare you for what's next; lots of offers. The Texas staff identified Rawls early while watching Arkansas signee TQ Jackson’s film. Every few clips, the "who is that dude?" question was asked.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Rawls combines speed and agility with raw, head-hunting tackles. He might smile a lot off the field, but on Friday nights he's a different dude. This wasn't the first time he visited UT. He did get to hang out with coach Naivar in the film room and left the 40 Acres with another big smile.

"Man, it's beautiful here," Rawls said. "I liked everything about it. The weight room is beautiful, and I really like how the positional groups are set up. It allowed me 1-on-1 time with coach Naivar and to see how I'd fit at Texas. I learned stuff today."

He'll hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps over the next few weeks, then the satellite camp circuit this summer. Arkansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Missouri are also on the radar but getting back to Austin for another visit seems to be his top priority.

So much Giles love. What is happening. 

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

These BigEasy edits have to be three best storyline of surly since it started. Gonna go down in the annals of history.

You spelled “anals” wrong.

But seriously, other schools are going to start doing this like they did those little cartoon characters a while back. Bigeasy is a trendsetter. 

Translation: fuck aggy

IT on Stone and Chavarria

PRESTON STONE

With Hudson Card locked-in as #cloUT2020’s quarterback, Texas is starting to take a look at its potential 2021 options for signal-caller.

There are several quality in-state options and Texas hosted one of the best over the weekend in Parish Episcopal’s Preston Stone.

Stone (listed at 6-foot-2, 185 pounds) is no stranger to Texas. Tom Herman even dropped by his school while on the road recruiting. The Longhorns have started a relationship with Stone that’s on it’s way to being very strong as Stone said he not only met with Mr. Herman, but Mrs. Herman and their children.

“Got to meet with Coach Herman for a while, took a tour of the facilities, got to meet a lot of coaches, and saw the new early enrollees so it was a lot of fun today,” Stone said following his visit.

One of the biggest highlights of the visit was the time Stone spent with offensive coordinator Tim Beck. He said Beck showed him a presentation of all the QBs he has coached from Tommy Armstrong at Nebraska to Sam Ehlinger at Texas.

“Honestly, there’s too many to count,” Stone said. “He’s definitely had a lot of great quarterbacks.”

Stone also was able to sit in on a QB position meeting. He was particularly impressed with Beck’s message about what it meant to be the quarterback from the Longhorns, referencing players like Ehlinger and Vince Young.

While it’s still early for Stone, he’s planning on trimming his list of schools he’s considering to around 10. Texas is a safe bet to make that list.

The Sugar Bowl made a big impression on Stone and showed him a lot of what he wants to see out of a potential school.

“Obviously, the education first,” Stone said. “When you graduate from a school in three our four years, which degree is going to mean the most? I’m looking for a culture that wins. Even Sam said at the end of the Sugar Bowl game that Texas is back. They obviously have a winning culture here. That’s something I’ll be looking forward to.”

Texas has added a lot of quality QBs to the roster since Herman arrived at Texas, but Stone knows any school after him likely will have quality options in the QB room.

“Wherever I go, I won't be shy from competition,” Stone said.

Stone had no additional concrete visit plans for Texas or any other school.

LUIS CHAVARRIA

Episcopal high school can make a claim to being one of the most talent-rich private school programs in the state. Players like Jaylen Waddle, Walker Little, and Marvin Wilson all are former Knights who have made their way to big time college football.

There are several young offensive linemen currently at Episcopal with strong chances to play at the next level. One of those linemen is 2021 Luis Chavarria.

Chavarria (6-foot-4, 285 pounds) has three offers from SMU, Vanderbilt, and Syracuse. He’s seen Texas several times and once again enjoyed his time in Austin.

“It was a really good experience to be honest,” Chavarria said. “Talking with the coaches, doing everything with them, just a great experience so far.”

The staff made sure to showcase the planned renovation of the south end zone to visitors over the weekend, and Chavarria and his parents who made the trip with him were impressed by what they saw.

“All the improvements and how they’re going to make more and more improvements even though it seems like this place doesn’t really need it cause it’s already amazing,” Chavarria said. “It’s just that they’re more and more improving. When I get here I can’t wait because it’ll be amazing.”

Chavarria took a no-nonsense approach to his visit. He asked the coaches what he could improve on in his game. With only three offers right now, he wants to do all he can to continue to earn more.

An offer from Texas would mean a lot to the 2021 OL.

“I hope so very soon, but all I can do until then is keep working, keep grinding, and hope they toss it out,” he said.

Chavarria said he also hears from Oklahoma, TCU, LSU, and Oklahoma State.