Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach tidbits from junior day

—Parish Episcopal 2021 QB Preston Stone is starting to focus on his recruiting. He’s looking to cut down his top schools in the next few weeks, and Texas will definitely be in it. Texas and SMU are the only schools standing out for Stone at this point. He has a great relationship with Tim Beck, and he raved about the resume Beck has at the quarterback position. Texas is in excellent shape here. Stone has added both height and weight over the last few months, and is now standing around 6-foot-2.

—2021 La Grange Park (IL.) quarterback J.J. McCarthy was one of the last guys out of the building on Saturday. McCarthy has actually been a long-time Texas fan, and he was sporting a pair of burnt orange shoes he said he bought years ago. McCarthy said the highlight of the visit was the time he spent with Tim Beck watching film and getting to ask questions to Sam Ehlinger and Roschon Johnson. If Texas chooses to offer, they could become a huge player.

—New Texas commit Mookie Cooper came into the weekend with the idea of wanting to make a commitment. Once he arrived on campus he decided to make that call. Bryan Carrington was huge in this recruitment, and Drew Mehringer also did a great job handling this him. Cooper has been a long-time Texas lean, and we expect him to stick and become an active recruiter.

—News of Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston’s offer came out yesterday, but he was actually offered over a month ago. Johnston is not big on using social media, so he never tweeted it. Nonetheless, he was impressed on his visit today and talked about the potential of playing with his former high school quarterback Jared Wiley. Johnston mentioned TCU, Oklahoma and Baylor as other schools standing out for him, the proximity to Temple and the way they used big receivers this year has Texas in a good position.

—2021 Willowridge wide receiver Latrell Neville was back on campus once again. The big receiver named Texas in his Top 3 along with LSU and Ohio State. The Longhorns have done a great job recruiting him, and having Javonne Shepherd in Austin will help them in these efforts. He’s planning to make a fall decision, and I expect Texas to be in the running.

—2020 Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington wide receiver JJ Hester said that he always grew up an Oklahoma fan, but he’s also had an interest in Texas for some time. He made the visit to show his interest and was able to get an in-depth look at the program. The offer meant a lot to him, and it doesn’t appear Oklahoma is going to be a big threat at this point. Texas has a chance here.

—2021 Richmond Foster wide receiver Cody Jackson picked up his offer on Saturday. Oklahoma currently holds the edge, but Texas did a good job establishing communication with him. Jackson is expected to be a priority recruit for Drew Mehringer in the next cycle, but they will have to overcome the Sooners and the influence of former Foster star CeeDee Lamb.

—2021 WR/ATH Shadrach Banks can be quiet in group interview formats, but he was having a great time on campus today. The nation’s top-ranked athlete in 2021 spent time with some of the other highly-rated players. It’s still early, but Banks said that Texas will likely be in his top group when he cuts his list of top schools. I would expect the Longhorns to be a tough out in this recruitment as well.

—Texas A&M commit Smart Chibuzo said he is still solid to Texas A&M, but he wanted to see what other schools have to offer. He enjoyed the visit and got to spend some time with Herb Hand. Chibuzo mentioned he still has interest in Texas, so it would not be a surprise to see him return for more visits.

—2021 All Saints Episcopal OL Tommy Brockermeyer talked a lot about making his own decision and not following in the footsteps of his father. At the same time, Brockermeyer does love Texas and the relationships he’s been able to build on his own. He would like to explore all available options, but the Longhorns have to be considered the front runner at this point

10 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Isn't this the kid that was called out by Coburn for doing the "horns down" in a photo shoot during his visit with OU and little Lincoln?  

Yes.  He’s 15.  He’s enjoying the process.   When he signs with Texas all will be forgiven.  

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach with the Tunmise Adeleye Texas pick.  @Harvdog with the 1st Texas pick a long time ago.

I hope he continues to trend our way.  His father is adamant about education.  Tunmise has a good head on his shoulders and will be an exemplary student and citizen.  He will be “Acho-esque” in that aspect.  He’s 15 and enjoying the process.  I think he ends up in Austin. My son and him have talked about going to UT together.  Be a lot cooler if they did. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

Don't forget his brother is already here as a PWO

Found this recently:  2018 PWO List (Aug 2018)

#96 Tristan Bennett, DL-Soph., 6-3 240, Irving (TX) Ranchview
#46 Luke Brockermeyer, LB-FR, 6-3 215, Fort Worth (TX) All Saints Episcopal
#79 Matt Frost, OL-FR, 6-3 265, Folsom (CA)
#52 Jackson Hanna, LB-FR, 6-2 215, Houston (TX) St. Thomas
#54 Justin Mader, DS-FR, 6-4 225, Magnolia (TX)
#18 Tremayne Prudehomme, QB-FR, 6-1 185, Houston (TX) Aldine Davis
#23 Jarrett Smith, RB-FR, 5-7 195, Webster (TX) Clear Brook
#23 Turner Symonds, DB-FR, 6-0 175, Fort Worth (TX) Country Day
#62 Jeremy Thompson-Sevon, DL/OL-FR, 6-2 240, Lewisville (TX) Hebron
#63 Troy Torres, DL-FR, 5-11 290, El Paso (TX) Bowie
#15 Travis West, WR-FR, 6-0 175, Dallas (TX) Wilson
#36 Kamari Williams, RB-FR, 5-9 175, Conroe (TX) Oak Ridge

22 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

The name I’ve seen thrown around is Manziel. 

He is only a Sophomore but I wasn’t overly impressed with him when I watched his hudl. I think ranking Sophomores is idiotic. Based on tape I don’t see how he could be #6 overall in the country for his class. Hope he does end up being the real deal though because he obviously likes us and he would help with Banks and Neville. 

6 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

He is only a Sophomore but I wasn’t overly impressed with him when I watched his hudl. I think ranking Sophomores is idiotic. Based on tape I don’t see how he could be #6 overall in the country for his class. Hope he does end up being the real deal though because he obviously likes us and he would help with Banks and Neville. 

If you're looking for a bellcow, especially for those Houston kids, Demetrius Davis is probably going to be more effective.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If you're looking for a bellcow, especially for those Houston kids, Demetrius Davis is probably going to be more effective.

Now that kid fuckin balls. And did it against high level competition. Stone basically played JV. You would not see me upset if we went the Davis route. 

41 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

The name I’ve seen thrown around is Manziel. 

manziel regularly ran for 200+ yards in a game at tivy.  

preston stone bailed on the UIL for tapps because he would’ve been 2nd string at highland park.  he will plummet in the rankings just like grant gunnell, another overrated trash private school qb.  

I don't get the Preston Stone hate. There was one post about his dad. Not even about the kid himself. And now suddenly we've got pages bashing the kid.

Ok, he transferred schools. Lots of kids do. Maybe he did it because he wasn't going to win the starting job. As a freshman. I'm not going to hold that against him. 

He doesn't play against great competition. Good thing he put up 7200 yards and 88 TDs. If somebody is playing poor competition, you look for them to dominate. He's doing that so I don't see the problem. Didn't stop us from gushing about Jake Smith. 

Maybe some people prefer Davis, which is fine, but I don't see any reason to dislike this kid this early in the process. He's good and likes us. I hope he commits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't get the Preston Stone hate. There was one post about his dad. Not even about the kid himself. And now suddenly we've got pages bashing the kid.

Ok, he transferred schools. Lots of kids do. Maybe he did it because he wasn't going to win the starting job. As a freshman. I'm not going to hold that against him. 

He doesn't play against great competition. Good thing he put up 7200 yards and 88 TDs. If somebody is playing poor competition, you look for them to dominate. He's doing that so I don't see the problem. Didn't stop us from gushing about Jake Smith. 

Maybe some people prefer Davis, which is fine, but I don't see any reason to dislike this kid this early in the process. He's good and likes us. I hope he commits. 

It's pretty much just futureman.