Those that wish me dead

baboso

I searched and did not find a thread.  I was stuck in a hotel last night and watched this steaming pile of shit.  First, Angelina Jolie as the lead on a team of smokejumpers; the thought of her scrawny ass running a big ass Stihl chainsaw and wielding a Pulaski tool for more than 10 seconds is ludicrous.  Second, later in the movie, she gets the shit beat out of her by a supposedly spec ops operator but yet she gets up and kills him.  A petite 110 lb. woman getting beat down viciously as portrayed in this movie, and then getting up and killing said operative?  Pshaw.

Taylor Sheridan wrote the screenplay.  He should be disappointed in himself.

Save your time.

lol I watched that about 4 weeks on HBoMax and came to the same conclusion.

its terribad.

The book its based off of has a whole other backstory that makes a lot more sense why Dad drove from Florida to Montana.    But after that the whole thing falls apart anyway.

Kinda surprised this one was a steaming pile of shit.

It's awful. I barely remember any of it.

I checked out Taylor Sheridan. His first three movies are masterful.

• Sicario
  • Hell or High Water 
  • Wind River

His work since then has been sort of hackish.

• Without Remorse
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead.

It's hard to tell where the above went wrong. He might have collected a handsome check to do as he's told.

Hell or High Water and Wind River seem like tales from his heart. Great stuff. I like movies on that scale.

Yellowstone is very irregular in its writing, so I don't know how much of that is him as there are other writers. The whole show is pretty much over the top like Dallas set in Montana. It took me several episodes to warm up to it.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Dang, Sicario and Wind River are two of my favorite flicks from the past 10 years.  Not sure how I missed Hell or High Water in between, but I need to check it out.

good lord, man. carve out an evening and settle in for that movie. it deserves your attention. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, baboso said:

Second, later in the movie, she gets the shit beat out of her by a supposedly spec ops operator but yet she gets up and kills him.  A petite 110 lb. woman getting beat down viciously as portrayed in this movie, and then getting up and killing said operative?  

If Queen Latifah can do it so can Jolie.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Dang, Sicario and Wind River are two of my favorite flicks from the past 10 years.  Not sure how I missed Hell or High Water in between, but I need to check it out.

Agreed that Those Who Wish Me Dead is complete dogshit.

Hell or High Water is the best of them, by a long shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hell or High Water is the best of them, by a long shot.

18 hours ago, futureman said:

good lord, man. carve out an evening and settle in for that movie. it deserves your attention. 

Yeah, I must have been completely preoccupied or not paying attention whenever that one came out.  I'll find some time to sit down and watch it this week.

It's awful. I barely remember any of it.
I checked out Taylor Sheridan. His first three movies are masterful.
  • Sicario
  • Hell or High Water 
  • Wind River
His work since then has been sort of hackish.
  • Without Remorse
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead.
It's hard to tell where the above went wrong. He might have collected a handsome check to do as he's told.
Hell or High Water and Wind River seem like tales from his heart. Great stuff. I like movies on that scale.
Yellowstone is very irregular in its writing, so I don't know how much of that is him as there are other writers. The whole show is pretty much over the top like Dallas set in Montana. It took me several episodes to warm up to it.

Money, always follow the money. Once you get that big payday, it’s hard to keep the same intensity. Especially, when you know the money is coming no matter what.

50 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Money, always follow the money. Once you get that big payday, it’s hard to keep the same intensity. Especially, when you know the money is coming no matter what.

Also, by taking the big money, you cede artistic control. People paying always want what they want no matter how poor the idea.

• Like 1

Most directors do their best work early in their career.  It’s rare for a director to get better as they age. Michael Mann managed to keep a high level of production for an abnormally long time, but even he made that Chris Hemsworth hacker movie.

Denis Villaneuve seems to be at the top of his game, but at some point he’s going to throw a dog.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Most directors do their best work early in their career.  It’s rare for a director to get better as they age. Michael Mann managed to keep a high level of production for an abnormally long time, but even he made that Chris Hemsworth hacker movie.

Denis Villaneuve seems to be at the top of his game, but at some point he’s going to throw a dog.

This is true and a good point.  Same goes for musicians, stand up comics, and pretty much any creative involved in the arts.

I would hope he isn't at that point though after writing and producing so few things.  I wonder how much create energy and effort an ongoing series like Yellowstone saps out of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

it probably takes unbelievable effort to remain at the top of your game in the competitive environment of Hollywood.

i think a case could be made that Scorcese, Tarantino, Coen bros and PTA have all done great jobs at meeting and often exceeding expectations set early in their careers. maybe also Wes Anderson? tho he's not 100% my cup of tea. 

they can't all be Oscar winners, but i think sometimes earlier work may be loved for more nostalgic reasons.

but, for example, i think No Country is every bit as good as Fargo, There Will Be Blood is as good as Boogie Nights, and Once Upon a Time and Inglourious Basterds are better than Pulp Fiction. i'm really looking forward to Killers of the Flower Moon.

• Like 1

I just watched this on a flight, and would tepidly recommend it for that or similar situations where you just need to mindlessly pass time. 

None of the complainers had an issue with her getting struck by lightning?! 

I liked the bad guys. I'd enjoy a backstory of that whole outfit. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I just watched this on a flight, and would tepidly recommend it for that or similar situations where you just need to mindlessly pass time. 

None of the complainers had an issue with her getting struck by lightning?! 

I liked the bad guys. I'd enjoy a backstory of that whole outfit. 

I liked the cast a lot.  Mayor Tommy is always a good villiain, not sure about Hoult, but I like him.  Bernthal with a non-psycho role for once.