Birth certificate question

I ordered a copy to get a passport, since I have no idea where mine is (or my mom, she doesn't remember ever giving it to me or whatnot).  Copy comes in...and my first name is misspelled (as is my dad's name).  We have the same first name, and it's relatively common to misspell our first names, since there are a handful of ways you can. So, 54 years ago the hospital misspelled both of our names, but no one caught it at the time.

So!  Is this a concern?  Is my legal name what is spelled out on the birth certificate? What about everything else in my life that is using my preferred spelling of my first name?  Am I illegal?  I checked my SS card, and it has the spelling I've used all my life.  

Inquiring minds want to know.  I find all this mildly amusing, but now, wife is wondering how legal everything really is, and should I petition to change my name on the certificate accordingly, etc.

Thanks all.

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Not in Texas, and according to what I can find, it's a bit more complicated here. 

DS-60 https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds60.PDF

This form is used when the name that the passport applicant uses is (1) substantially different from the name on the passport applicant’s citizenship evidence or (2) the passport applicant’s name was not acquired by marriage or a court order. This form or a written statement that includes all of the information on this form must be filled out by an affiant (preferably a blood relative) who has personal knowledge of the passport applicant’s use of both names.

So, my entire family, except for my Dad, me and my son, spells our last name different than we do. 

So, imagine my last name is "Bang".  Everyone else spells it "Bangg".   It was a mistake on my Dad's birth certificate (in 1936 rural Texas, and by "rural" I mean "East Bumfuck") and nobody ever bothered to correct it, so my last name was, is, and will be different than that of all my cousins. 

(It's a fairly uncommon name, but when you see it, it will always have the "xx" at the end. 

Just send it in with the birth certificate and on your application put the way you've spelled your name your whole life. Chances are they won't catch it and just process it how you requested. Permission and forgiveness and all that shit.