*IF* It Were A 12 Team Playoff...

BluTechsan

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

UTSA would absolutely not qualify. Even if there was a 7th conference champion auto bid that would be ULL. Oklahoma State would also not fall out of the playoff over today. Whatever you track Baylor they’re probably right behind.

I know. Was just throwing them a bone for the nice season.

edit: swapped oSu for Ole Miss

2 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

But it would be a lot of fun wouldn't it?

Today is 12/5. Semis could be decided by 12/19 and played on NYD like they are now.

You seem to be forgetting the student part of the athlete. They do have some important tests coming up. Some schools take that seriously. Traveling around the country and completely focused on football wouldn’t exactly support the educational side of things. Just my, maybe unpopular, opinion.

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You seem to be forgetting the student part of the athlete. They do have some important tests coming up. Some schools take that seriously. Traveling around the country and completely focused on football wouldn’t exactly support the educational side of things. Just my, maybe unpopular, opinion.

How is it handled at the FCS, DII and DIII level?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Honestly, the 5-12 matchups you posted are not interesting or fun at all

Yeah, we can throw UTSA out as they wouldn't get serious consideration.

But I tried basing the rest off of the most recent rankings and who played this weekend and who didn't. I think BYU is the only team I bumped up that didn't play this weekend.

31 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I honestly don’t pay attention.

They do what you claim isn't appropriate for student athletes while fielding rosters without 85 scholarships. The lower levels of college football are genuine amateur student athletes that have a playoff system that runs from November through January. High School football players do it as well.

FBS doesn't because of the money that would potentially be lost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

They do what you claim isn't appropriate for student athletes while fielding rosters without 85 scholarships. The lower levels of college football are genuine amateur student athletes that have a playoff system that runs from November through January. High School football players do it as well.

FBS doesn't because of the money that would potentially be lost.

Sounds like the entire system would have to be overhauled since conference championships extend into December.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
I’d also be interested in the dates of the games.

Just now, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Sounds like the entire system would have to be overhauled since conference championships extend into December.

Reduce regular season and drop championship games. That's where money could be lost.

17 minutes ago, F250 said:

And for those that think travel is a burden. Take a look at College baseball or even high school baseball. Football travel is nothing compared to weekday and weekend games in baseball. A sport that issues partial scholarships.

Never mind, it’s a stupid argument.

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You’re missing the entire point of not scheduling huge nation wide playoff games during the next couple weeks of finals. 

Explain the point while explaining FCS, DII and DIII manage to do it without a roster of full ride players.

Like it or not, playoff expansion is on the table and 12 is the most recent # I've heard being thrown about.

So, since we are playing *what if* and a reduction of games is desired, how's about this...

Today there were 12 division winners that played. And since some seem to think that it was unfair that Georgia was matched against Bama. Let's chunk the conference championships and seed the 12 division winners. Today then would have been the first round and according to the last rankings, these would have been the matchups:

1 UGU vs 21 Houston

2 Mich vs 17 Utah

3 Bama vs 16 Wake

4 Cincy vs 15 Pitt

5 oSu vs 13 Iowa

9 Baylor vs 10 Oregon

Having typed that out and now looking at it, I'm of the mind that that would suck too just like the 5-12 matchups above.

Let's see what 8 teams would look like. We'll keep the CCGs intact and seed the playoffs as follows.

Top 4 conf champions and next 4 highest ranked (subjectivity at play and rematches pretty much unavoidable)

1 Mich vs 8 oSu

2 Bama vs 7 tOSU

3 Cincy vs 6 ND

4 Baylor vs 5 UGA

Edited by BluTechsan

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

Explain the point while explaining FCS, DII and DIII manage to do it without a roster of full ride players.

Who gives a shit what these meaningless schools are doing? There’s a reason nobody pays attention, both academically and athletically. Getting rid of conference championships to play that garbage schedule above is vomit-worthy.

* Generalization of course, I realize there are great schools in those divisions but they aren’t taking football seriously and vise versa.

• Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Who gives a shit what these meaningless schools are doing? There’s a reason nobody pays attention, both academically and athletically. Getting rid of conference championships to play that garbage schedule above is vomit-worthy.

* Generalization of course, I realize there are great schools in those divisions but they aren’t taking football seriously and vise versa.

Dude, this is just fucking dumb.

Your whole argument is "I don't know shit about anything but who gives a fuck."

lulz

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Tell me you're football ignorant without telling me you're football ignorant. 

You think FCS teams don't take football seriously? What a stupid take

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Dude, this is just fucking dumb.

Your whole argument is "I don't know shit about anything but who gives a fuck."

lulz

My argument is, I don’t want to see conference championships go away to watch Bama play Wake Forest and Georgia play Houston and there’s a reason universities, who love making money, haven’t been scheduling games during this time-frame. The rest I don’t know or care about. I don’t need lower quality games just so you guys can have your “playoff”.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Cut the regular season from 12 games to 10, or even just down to 11 (we played an 11 game regular season in our 2005 title run). That’d solve a lot of wear and tear concerns.

It's easy. Cut one non conference cupcake and SEC cuts that late season FCS bye game. Making people pay money for those games is criminal anyway. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

Tell me you're football ignorant without telling me you're football ignorant. 

You think FCS teams don't take football seriously? What a stupid take

Tell me you don’t understand what I wrote without telling me you’re stupid. I was saying those that take football seriously probably don’t give a shit about academics, those that care about academics probably don’t give a shit about football.

Just now, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Tell me you don’t understand what I wrote without telling me you’re stupid. I was saying those that take football seriously probably don’t give a shit about academics, those that care about academics probably don’t give a shit about football.

Which is completely untrue. 

1 hour ago, BluTechsan said:

Like it or not, playoff expansion is on the table and 12 is the most recent # I've heard being thrown about.

So, since we are playing *what if* and a reduction of games is desired, how's about this...

Today there were 12 division winners that played. And since some seem to think that it was unfair that Georgia was matched against Bama. Let's chunk the conference championships and seed the 12 division winners. Today then would have been the first round and according to the last rankings, these would have been the matchups:

1 UGU vs 21 Houston

2 Mich vs 17 Utah

3 Bama vs 16 Wake

4 Cincy vs 15 Pitt

5 oSu vs 13 Iowa

9 Baylor vs 10 Oregon

Having typed that out and now looking at it, I'm of the mind that that would suck too just like the 5-12 matchups above.

Let's see what 8 teams would look like. We'll keep the CCGs intact and seed the playoffs as follows.

Top 4 conf champions and next 4 highest ranked (subjectivity at play and rematches pretty much unavoidable)

1 Mich vs 8 oSu

2 Bama vs 7 tOSU

3 Cincy vs 6 ND

4 Baylor vs 5 UGA

In the 8 team model, the only team that is remotely interesting or stands a chance is tOSU. Maybe Notre Dame, kinda? Any system that puts in two 2 loss Big XII teams is the wrong system. All of this is a better argument against expansion and for exclusion of G5 than for it. When you see the matchup written down you see how bad this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In the 8 team model, the only team that is remotely interesting or stands a chance is tOSU. Maybe Notre Dame, kinda? Any system that puts in two 2 loss Big XII teams is the wrong system. All of this is a better argument against expansion and for exclusion of G5 than for it. When you see the matchup written down you see how bad this. 

That was my thoughts as well. The mire I mixed and matched possible pairings the less I liked it.

The question then becomes - is this just an off year? Are these bad matchups the exception or the rule?

5 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

My point is, I don’t care. Nobody cares or watches. We’re talking about modeling big-time football after divisions of football that only a handful of people watch. It’s ridiculous. 4-8 team playoff is max we should ever see.

What size the audience is isn't germaine to the situation at all. The point is these are student athletes, in many cases more serious on the student part than almost anyone at Bama, OSU, Clemson, OU, etc. And these schools manage to play a playoff system just fine and have for decades. 

This isn't about creating games that are interesting for you to watch. It's about ensuring undefeated teams no matter the conference affiliation have a shot at the title as well as enticing the top 5 star talent to spread out over more teams. This 4 team playoff has created a monopoly at the top as only 5 or so programs consistently make the playoffs and consistently get the best talent who want to play for a title. It's a self perpetuating cycle that needs to be busted. 

Here... educate yourself because you're sounding like a fool here

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-01-11/fcs-championship-everything-you-need-know

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

What size the audience is isn't germaine to the situation at all. The point is these are student athletes, in many cases more serious on the student part than almost anyone at Bama, OSU, Clemson, OU, etc. And these schools manage to play a playoff system just fine and have for decades. 

This isn't about creating games that are interesting for you to watch. It's about ensuring undefeated teams no matter the conference affiliation have a shot at the title as well as enticing the top 5 star talent to spread out over more teams. This 4 team playoff has created a monopoly at the top as only 5 or so programs consistently make the playoffs and consistently get the best talent who want to play for a title. It's a self perpetuating cycle that needs to be busted. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-01-11/fcs-championship-everything-you-need-know

The four team playoff hasn’t created a monopoly at the top. It’s starkly revealed the monopoly at the top that has always existed. There’s only a handful of schools with the resources and desire to play at the top level, and not all of them can be on top all the time. 

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Like I said, I’ll listen up to 8. Anything beyond that is ridiculous. If you’re undefeated and ranked outside the top 8, be happy you don’t get embarrassed on national television and can brag about your undefeated season for the rest of your life.