Texas vs West Virginia 11am on ESPNU

SDG

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hate this fat fucking bitch  

Such a sore fucking loser 

I'm calling it now.  Beard will get thrown out of the game at WVU.  huggy bear will be telling his guys to hack like crazy and we'll get Press Virginia'd by the officials.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hate this fat fucking bitch  

Such a sore fucking loser 

He's not entirely wrong. I saw one of the funniest basketball plays, if not the funniest, I've ever seen today, where a WVU player was streaking down the court after a defensive rebound (Andrew Jones missing a 3-pt)... right before the 3-point line, he hurled it... to no one. There were 2 Texas players outside of an 8-foot radius of where he threw it, and nobody else but the crowd behind the basket. Cut to a photo of the WVU coach dying inside. Cut back to the WVU player dying inside, too. Laughed for a full 2 minutes at the absurdity.

I think Huggy was thinkin' about that play when he said that. I know I sure as hell won't forget it any time soon. :D

This is really my first time to watch Beard's team work, and I don't even recognize what we're doing from the years of Texas basketball I've watched. Between Penders' run and gun, to Barnes' defensive-focused play, to... I don't even know what Shaka was doing, seeing us run something resembling coordinated basketball on offense was new for me.

Edited by Rimbo

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

On Febres, he’s never been any thing but a shooter. I don’t see him faring well under Beard. While Febres has historically been a great shooter and better than Jones and Ramey, Jones and Ramey can get to the hole. Febres doesn’t try. If Beard is gonna shorten the rotation it makes sense that Febres would be nixed. We have too much better talent to waste minutes on him. 

Ramey - career 37.3 FG3% (40.6% this season)

Jones - career 35.1 FG3% (28.8% this season)

Febres - career 36.2% FG3% (35.3 this season)

Give me Ramey and you can leave the other two on the bench. 

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Ramey - career 37.3 FG3% (40.6% this season)

Jones - career 35.1 FG3% (28.8% this season)

Febres - career 36.2% FG3% (35.3 this season)

Give me Ramey and you can leave the other two on the bench. 

Oh wow. Not really a distinct advantage. Agreed Ramey for sure the best player of that bunch. Disagree that Jones isn’t a part of your rotation. 

38 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Absolutely true. It is not a good venue. Cavernous in many respects. This adversely affects capacity and noise level. Viewing experience is terrible. Too far away from court. Wood is dingy yellow. Decor and lighting is totally drab. I cannot imagine an easier place for an opponent. 

Except when you’re facing crazy D. Then none of the above shit matters. Huggy is mad at his team. But he’s right. 

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Absolutely true. It is not a good venue. Cavernous in many respects. This adversely affects capacity and noise level. Viewing experience is terrible. Too far away from court. Wood is dingy yellow. Decor and lighting is totally drab. I cannot imagine an easier place for an opponent. 

Except when you’re facing crazy D. Then none of the above shit matters. Huggy is mad at his team. But he’s right. 

Physical/Visual issues aside...once the novelty wears off, how much will the opening of the new arena help with the in game atmosphere (or lack thereof)? 

7 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

Physical/Visual issues aside...once the novelty wears off, how much will the opening of the new arena help with the in game atmosphere (or lack thereof)? 

A lot. 8000 fans, half being loud, will create a much different atmosphere in moody than it does in fec.  Not for every game of course, still not going to draw for the cal baptists of the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

A ton just by pure setup - closeness to the court, Acari city of seats relative to the cavern now, etc. I don’t know how much of an advantage that’ll have for the team but it can’t hurt. It’s really hard to create that in the Drum. It’s just not a good venue. 

20 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There are several things that will help at Moody. Some of this is personal projection/wish fulfillment, but some of it isn't.

First, the Erwin Center is a true multi purpose arena, with the seats going back at a pretty low angle. Compared to dedicated basketball arenas, the farthest seats might as well be in a different zip code. Sitting in anything but the first few rows of the upper deck frankly sucks. Because of the bowl shape there's a plethora of really bad seating options in terms of angles even beyond how far away from the court they're located. The priority when it was built was creating a venue with a large seating capacity for various events, including registrations, graduations, concerts, etc.. Basketball wasn't exactly an afterthought, but it wasn't the priority it should have been, either. 

Second, the location is not great. Okay, it's not on the other side of Austin, but the Moody Center being on the north side of MLK is helpful, IMO. Not a game changer, but helpful.

Third, the students became a low priority starting in the early 80s when growing revenue became THE driver for the athletic department. I've honestly never seen anyone campaign as hard or as successfully for the students to make a difference as Chris Beard has. Tom Penders did some of it when he got the job, and it helped. But Beard has way more clout than Penders ever did, and he's a better marketer/manipulator than Penders was, too. Having a brand new arena is a one time event that will allow a lot of changes for season ticket holders - changes that are going to make a lot of people very unhappy - that wouldn't have been politically feasible with the Erwin Center. It helps that CDC seems to see it much the same way, but Beard being the students' advocate for a much more impactful seating arrangement is critical, mostly because he's a very effective advocate.

There's also the matter of putting a successful product on the court, which I feel confident is going to happen. It would probably help if the team was more offensive oriented from a casual fan perspective, but winning trumps high scoring games. 

It also probably helps some if the football program stays moribund, but I'd really really like that to change. Preferably in my lifetime, please.

So, to recap, the Moody is going to be a much better venue to watch a basketball game. The seating is much more dramatically vertical, so even the farthest seats aren't that far from the court. It's going to be much louder for the same reason. While distance wise it's not that much closer to campus than the Erwin Center, perception wise it is. The students are going to have a lot more premium seats in the Moody, instead of just behind both baskets (which at one point they didn't even have that). Chris Beard is going to be effective in making a difference with his continuous, energetic, eternally positive, and multi pronged marketing to the student body as well as to the general fan base. Lastly, as Texas puts a competitive, top 10/top 20 product on the court year after year, people are going to get excited to build a part of their identity around Texas basketball. 

The idea Texas is going to equal KU in atmosphere isn't all that realistic, but Texas can certainly exceed United Supermarkets Arena while Beard was there. 

I’m all in on Moody Center and what it will bring, but what kills me is that there will be no equivalent to the 4 season tix I’ve had since 1996 - row 1 in the upper level behind the north basket, with a 6-foot high concrete wall behind me.

I could scream profanities with no issues because nobody was in front of me. I could stand up with no “excuse me sir I never come to games at all but can you sit the fuck down” issues because nobody was behind me (except for seat 1, which my sister owned via the UT employee plan). I hate the FEC with a white-hot passion, but I will never again have seats as badass as these, and that makes me slightly sad…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

On Febres, he’s never been any thing but a shooter. I don’t see him faring well under Beard. While Febres has historically been a great shooter and better than Jones and Ramey, Jones and Ramey can get to the hole. Febres doesn’t try. If Beard is gonna shorten the rotation it makes sense that Febres would be nixed. We have too much better talent to waste minutes on him. 

That said, I’m never opposed to throwing a shooter in for a few minutes per half to see if he’s found his stroke. If so, and the rest of his game isn’t costing you points, then keep him in. I personally wouldn’t let him be a part of my rotation, except for that. 

If Jones is going to continue to get his shot blocked or turn the ball over when driving then he loses his chief advantage over Febres, who can shoot and his greatly improved defense is much better than Andrew's.  Febres is a much needed insurance policy for games when Jones' shot isn't falling.

10 minutes ago, cafe society said:

If Jones is going to continue to get his shot blocked or turn the ball over when driving then he loses his chief advantage over Febres, who can shoot and his greatly improved defense is much better than Andrew's.  Febres is a much needed insurance policy for games when Jones' shot isn't falling.

Greatly improved defense?  The next time Febres does anything defensively will be the first. You can say the same for Jones. 

Jones gets FT attempts, and in games where he doesnt, we probably are rolling.