Jump to content
Ad weirdness being fixed. ×

2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded


Js1

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cydney Sanders is following Czech and Bella. So we seem to be in that one

She is a perfect fit in the middle of the order and at 1B where we have a huge need. She won't hit 21 HR in Austin, but I am guessing she would be good for 14-15 next year which would be a huge shot in the arm. If she picks OU, just go ahead and shoot me now because next season will already be decided before the first pitch is thrown.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did the chunky Hawaiian wrestler finally run out of eligibility?

Yes !

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

 If she picks OU, just go ahead and shoot me now because next season will already be decided before the first pitch is thrown.

😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did the chunky Hawaiian wrestler finally run out of eligibility?

Her grandmother was so drunk after o e of the games at the wcws they had to help her from the stadium down to where their little SUV was parked. A little later she did a header right onto the concrete getting out of the SUV. Sure wish I would have videod it. 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kilfoyl is visiting Arky, OK State and Arizona.  So I guess cross that name off.

Either it's someone we don't know about yet or Mike has no plan but to roll with Czech, Simpson, Citlaly.  Then again, Dolcini came out of left fucking field, so it could be a potential Fall 2022 grad who shows up in January 2023.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friend sent me this article.   Can't verify accuracy.   Also a paywall article in the AAS if anyone has access.  (link 2)

Somewhat surprised but good that softball did well.    Most might have been Lauren  ?   64 deals is quite a bit.

 

Here's how each sport stacked up:

94 football athletes racked up nearly $900k in NIL deals, including one contract worth $60k and three deals worth $50k apiece. While UT is not allowed to disclose names associated with compensation, UT star running back Bijan Robinson made waves with six major NIL deals, including a recent contract with Lamborghini Austin.

Softball earned its fair share as well with the second-highest NIL value of $295,790 spread among 64 deals.

Men's and women's swimming and diving programs each earned around $250k each.

Men's basketball athletes inked 71 deals for a grand total of $158,585.

And volleyball was the final sport to crack $100k with 26 contracts and over $105k in cash.

 

https://austonia.com/longhorns-nil-deals-2021

https://www.hookem.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hookem.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2F2022%2F06%2F21%2Funiversity-texas-athletes-generated-2-million-first-year-nil%2F7637342001%2F

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Kilfoyl is visiting Arky, OK State and Arizona.  So I guess cross that name off.

Either it's someone we don't know about yet or Mike has no plan but to roll with Czech, Simpson, Citlaly.  Then again, Dolcini came out of left fucking field, so it could be a potential Fall 2022 grad who shows up in January 2023.  

I read on the softball forum that Kilfoyl had a lot of interest in Texas. Maybe it was just a rumor but this tells me that White already has somebody else in mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Kilfoyl is visiting Arky, OK State and Arizona.  So I guess cross that name off.

Either it's someone we don't know about yet or Mike has no plan but to roll with Czech, Simpson, Citlaly.  Then again, Dolcini came out of left fucking field, so it could be a potential Fall 2022 grad who shows up in January 2023.  

Kilfoyl is also rehabbing a torn hip labrum, and that might have scared Mike away.

 

The ag players are starting to enter the portal so maybe there is hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

If she picks OU, just go ahead and shoot me now because next season will already be decided before the first pitch is thrown.

OU's pitching may be better next year with Bahl showing incremental improvement and Storako > Troutwein. There is a path to the offense approximating 2022 also despite Alo's departure. Hansen slumped due to injuries in 2022, and she be ready for 2023. Torres is a better hitter than Johns was at 3rd.

Need Sanders to be the 3rd big bat after Jennings and Lyons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Megan Bartlett to ASU appears official. So we need a new assistant. 

Mike has put 2 head coaches into the PAC 12 off his staff 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't Bartlett's role fielding and defense which we were really bad at? 

Maybe I'm seeing things but to me it looked like Bartlett was demoted late in the season and the hitting coach took over the defensive responsibilities. Early in the season I saw Bartlett coaching the infielders and that changed late in the season. 

I could be wrong but that feels like a very questionable hire by ASU. When I saw discussions about Texas upgrading the staff I figured it was in reference to Bartlett. I definitely didn't see her getting a head coaching job at a Pac 12 school. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

She handled OF defense and Sing took over INF defense, on top of hitting 

Mike needs to go out and find the best defensive coach he can and let everyone handle their responsibilities - Mike pitching, Sing hitting, TBD defense. 

Edited by Js1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

She handled OF defense and Sing took over INF defense, on top of hitting 

Mike needs to go out and find the best defensive coach he can and let everyone handle their responsibilities - Mike pitching, Sing hitting, TBD defense. 

I agree and the defensive coach will most likely be a female. All male staffs have a hard time relating to the players on certain matters. Sis Bates was a grad assistant at Washington last year. She is the best defensive SS I have ever seen and she would relate to the players well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I agree and the defensive coach will most likely be a female. All male staffs have a hard time relating to the players on certain matters. Sis Bates was a grad assistant at Washington last year. She is the best defensive SS I have ever seen and she would relate to the players well. 

That's a good name .

Also agree on the all-male staffs - Vic Schaefer has always had all female staff.  Jerrit Elliot has had one female on staff (Tanya Johnson, Salima Rockwell).  This will be an interesting time for volleyball, with an all-male full-time staff (Erik Sullivan, David Hunt)

Edited by Js1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also don't discount what Mike did with Bartlett - poach a sitting head coach from a smaller school who wants more visibility at a bigger program for bigger jobs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's a good name .

Also agree on the all-male staffs - Vic Schaefer has always had all female staff.  Jerrit Elliot has had one female on staff (Tanya Johnson, Salima Rockwell).  This will be an interesting time for volleyball, with an all-male full-time staff (Erik Sullivan, David Hunt)

Another name is Bianca Bell, former LSU great. She is currently on the Pittsburgh staff, but is looking to move. I believe she works with hitters at Pittsburgh, but she was a great defensive player for the Tigers as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also don't discount what Mike did with Bartlett - poach a sitting head coach from a smaller school who wants more visibility at a bigger program for bigger jobs. 

Also might want to mention that Kerry Shaw, former Mike White assistant, is now unemployed and looking for a new gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm guessing she wants to be the full time catcher?  That was the main reason Taylor E went to Arkansas. Or maybe there are other issues.  

Ellsworth was also a much better hitter. Even when Ellsworth wasn't the full time catcher she was getting at bats in the DH spot. 

I'm sure Smith wants to be a full time catcher but she wasn't a consistent enough hitter to get in the lineup anywhere until the end of the season. That's why 1 player ended up at Arkansas and the other at Texas State. 

 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Ellsworth was also a much better hitter. Even when Ellsworth wasn't the full time catcher she was getting at bats in the DH spot. 

I'm sure Smith wants to be a full time catcher but she wasn't a consistent enough hitter to get in the lineup anywhere until the end of the season. That's why 1 player ended up at Arkansas and the other at Texas State. 

 

don't disagree at all (said something similar upthread) - I was just offering a possible rationale.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

don't disagree at all (said something similar upthread) - I was just offering a possible rationale.  

Definitely and I wasn't trying to be disagreeable.

With Smith I think it was just playing time in general instead of wanting to be a full time catcher. Smith believes she should be in the lineup every game and that wasn't happening at Texas. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lostman said:

UCS saying Shea is going to UT Tyler. Good for her!

UTT is a good program at their division level and I think they’re well known for their nursing program (her career goal). Like top 5 nationally or something? Good for her! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

UTT made it to the DII CWS this season, winning 2 games at the CWS. Shea can definitely bolster their pitching staff.

Ranked #1 to start the season. A great program for her to help. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sanders is apparently down to UCLA, OU, Texas and A&M.  I think it's trending towards UCLA, because she wants to stay stay close to home.  

I hope it's Texas but really anywhere but OU so next season is not already a given before it starts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sanders is apparently down to UCLA, OU, Texas and A&M.  I think it's trending towards UCLA, because she wants to stay stay close to home.  

If proximity to home were the issue, I don't think anyone but UCLA would be on the list. I can't decide if I want her to pick Texas or anyone but OU more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OU is going to be the favorite to win the championship even without her.

It's the equivalent of Durant going to the Warriors but even worse. I can't blame players for wanting to win a championship but some are hard wired differently. Personally, I would want to help a team win a championship rather than just be another piece to the puzzle that's not really needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Texas softball instagram account started following Mac Morgan. 

There's a potential answer at pitcher. 

2.82 ERA as a freshman against P12 competition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...