Do you any favorite Preferred Walk-On's for the Longhorns over the years?

ATXbronco

Went to HS with Mac McWhorter's son.  Mac McWhorter III.  Big guy, about 6'5 235.  Played TE as a preferred walk on at UT. He's a really nice guy and super goofy.  His Dad was intense as you could imagine with Mac being his only son and him a structured guy who coached one of the best offensive lines UT ever had, but you shoulda seen how proud Mac II was of Mac III when he earned a scholly his Sr. Year.  Really cool.  Mac III is my pick. 

Michael Ungar is the the correct answer.  Dude was like a caged animal unleashed on special teams.   

Ricky and Ced were technically walk-ons, but not quite the same as a guy who barely made the team and then did great things beyond expectations.  Kyle Shanahan was also a notable walk-on but never did too much on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, every few years I think about Ungar and can never remember his name.  I'm sure he blew his assignment more than once, but I only remember how many kick returners he pinned down inside the 15YL, back when a kickoff inside the 5 was the norm.  Kick-offs are so boring now, but I used to make sure my ass was in my seat and paying attention back in his day because it was so fun to watch him disguise himself on kickoffs. 

"Hey #29...I know you're the gunner/stinger on this play...I got my eye on you!"

"No I'm not, I'm just a regular kick coverage guy, I'll be hanging back midfield."  

He was awarded a scholarship same day as Kyle Shanahan actually.  

Also, I think Ryan Bailey was just a walk-on, but eventually got a scholarship after that 2006 Nebraska field goal, and subsequent work.