2022 Little League Thread of Dominance

BrazilHorn

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I was talking to my dad about this. Also, they play year round. The Coach from Tennessee said his team was assembled in May. Not a lot of time to build a team. 

Congrats Hawaii. Damn good tournament run. 

Every tournament team is officially assembled in May. If the league announces a tournament team before May 15 the team is disqualified. I highly doubt May was the first time a majority of those Tennessee kids played together. 

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Every tournament team is officially assembled in May. If the league announces a tournament team before May 15 the team is disqualified. I highly doubt May was the first time a majority of those Tennessee kids played together. 

You are correct, just because the roster was announced in May doesn't mean the team was assembled in May. Most of these teams play year round and most probably play on the same select team in the summer and fall. The core of the All Star team is known before the first game of the regular season.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

You are correct, just because the roster was announced in May doesn't mean the team was assembled in May. Most of these teams play year round and most probably play on the same select team in the summer and fall. The core of the All Star team is known before the first game of the regular season.

For the Williamsport teams for sure. Meanwhile my league doesn't do that so we were pumped to win district in 50/70 this spring (we didn't send a Majors team). Both our teams met in the final, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, Beau Vine said:

So is Hawaii so good every year because their travel ball is so much more restricted by geography than everyone else?  

Hawaii has only been recently good. Normally California dominates the West. Like Texas, California sends two teams to the regional tournament. They have a large population and two slots in the regional plus year round baseball weather. It's pretty impressive that Hawaii has been so dominating these past few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, F250 said:

My 12th grader just walked into my office with a couple of bats and went on some long winded explanation about performance and then asked for a new Marucci CAT X composite bat. That was a long way to ask for a $500 bat.

He could have just argued that for the same price as a sugar baby he could hit more bombs.

• 1 month later...

I’m looking for a really good layout for a baseball/softball complex if anyone knows of one that they like.  Looking at 10 fields likely, 4 baseball 4 softball and 2 shared t-ball/coach pitch fields.  Also if you have time please check out my other thread as any help or advice would be much appreciated.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, txhorns said:

I’m looking for a really good layout for a baseball/softball complex if anyone knows of one that they like.  Looking at 10 fields likely, 4 baseball 4 softball and 2 shared t-ball/coach pitch fields.  Also if you have time please check out my other thread as any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Two words:  Retractable roof

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My non professional opinion. Stay in LL until after 12yo season then find a select team. Select isn’t what it used to be. It’s now a money grab especially at younger ages. Stay in Lol get the basics/fundamentals then make the jump.

Also, playing in city little league and has a son. Your friend got started early.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mbtex said:

I have a friend that is currently playing in his cities little league and his sons goal is to play in High School. Is it better to stay in little league or switch to select ball.

Depends on the goals of the kid and the limitations of the local little league. The issues we had with the local little league were basically the level to which they were teaching the game, the rate of development, and the lack of organized practices. My eight year old started select ball this summer. It's a huge difference in the amount of reps they get and the situational knowledge they gain. His coaches are all former minor leaguers and are in their early 20's. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

41 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

For select teams, how does your team handle the money? I think our team is about to fall apart because we have idiots that don’t know when they have a good thing going.

Does your organization provide you with a breakdown of what the fees go toward? I've always been told to steer clear of the ones that refuse to provide one. 

We have a new organization and dues go toward building it from ground up.

I guess I asked the wrong question. We are set to play 6 or 7 tournaments. Our team decided to do a fundraiser to cover costs. A couple of us suggested a team bank account with a parent serving as our treasurer (not me). Parents who didn’t volunteer (and never do) are getting bent out of shape over the parents who volunteered not doing a good job (could it have gone better, yes. They volunteered and no one else did, so it is what it is). End of the day, it’s all falling apart and we’re just going to send the coach $. And our happy cohesive team is now fractured.

Problem, in the fall we did a fundraiser. I just bought out my part but some parents didn’t do anything, even a minimum. So at the end of fall we ran out of money. Instead of going to parents who didn’t pay/bring in $, the team split the cost. Lesson learned.

8 hours ago, kmac30 said:

I guess I asked the wrong question. We are set to play 6 or 7 tournaments. Our team decided to do a fundraiser to cover costs. A couple of us suggested a team bank account with a parent serving as our treasurer (not me). Parents who didn’t volunteer (and never do) are getting bent out of shape over the parents who volunteered not doing a good job (could it have gone better, yes. They volunteered and no one else did, so it is what it is). End of the day, it’s all falling apart and we’re just going to send the coach $. And our happy cohesive team is now fractured.

Problem, in the fall we did a fundraiser. I just bought out my part but some parents didn’t do anything, even a minimum. So at the end of fall we ran out of money. Instead of going to parents who didn’t pay/bring in $, the team split the cost. Lesson learned.

Ahh ok. 
I’ve done both ways. 
last couple of seasons another dad and I coached and upfront we laid out tournaments and expenses and got $ up front. 
At that point if a parent wanted to provide snacks etc at a tournament that was on them. 

I’ve also been a part of a “real” select group where you just get billed up front. 
Takes all emotion out of it. Again if a parent wants to bring snacks/breakfast tacos they just do a rotation. 

My youngest is 13 so as they get older the “snack” mom shit goes away. Also we play out of Austin so there’s little travel expense as we can find tournaments within an hour drive pretty easily. That helps defray costs. 

We joined a newer organization that is in its first few seasons. The monthly dues aren't that crazy and it's a 501©(3). We pay the monthly dues for the 2-3 practices a week at the facility or field rentals(our org is breaking ground on private fields), 2 tournaments/month (Houston area). We don't pay extra for national tournaments we may qualify for. We do pay separately for uniforms.

Each team in our organization has their own account for dues, sponsorships, and spirit nights.

We signed up yesterday for our first tourney of the spring. Can't wait to be back out at the park with my 9U boys - should be a lot of fun, big learning curve but looking forward to the challenge. We can only get better, lol.

As to our fees - our organization, Oaks Dads Club runs a recreation league as well as offers a select team option for each age level for those that don't want to play rec ball anymore. Typically, these are the boys a little more serious dedicated, and frankly better than the rec league boys and should be playing against more competitive teams across the area. That said, because we don't want to "lose" kids to other select organizations across Houston - Premier, Marucci, etc - we offer the select team to pay yearly dues, which is the same as a typical spring season of rec league at ODC, if that makes sense. This allows us to utilize our home fields for practices throughout the week, while rec leagues use city of Houston fields, have access to our outdoor cages and have access to our own instructors who are NPA certified as well as team insurance through ODC. Full disclosure - I am the head coach for our 9U team - but it does work out fairly well for us. Plus, we get to keep the continuity of kids I've coached, some since they were 5 or 6 - we do pay for our entry fees and uniforms, however, have sponsorships and donors who have helped offset much of our costs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

@Mez2 when do yall play?

first tourney is Feb 25th - Perfect Game one at Doss Park. We are playing in the NIT one a few weeks after and then will cycle through every other weekend through June. We are playing in the world series in Gulf Shores this year. second week in june and then taking a break for summer. I know we'll likely be at some of the same tourneys as y'all. There is a new facility that opened in Richmond/Rosenberg that is pretty nice - Diamaonds Daily Ballpark - that I would like for us to play in as well. 

Y'all aready started, right?

His real team starts same weekend as yall. Then it's every other weekend. Word of advice for Gulf Shores bring your own food (restaurants can't handle number of people) sunscreen, tents and dirt cleats. Have somewhere you can wash clothes.
Diamonds Daly is a really nice facility. Whoever owns it has put some serious cash into it

good looking out - we have our own home with washer and dryer so that part is set but good to know about the others. we have a pool at our house so imagine lots of people will be over with us when not playing. our 8U team is also going too so lots of families from our league will be there with us. 

Yes, the DDP crew put in quite a bit for the set up, I met some of the owners a while back. my hospital does the sports medicine stuff for DDP so got to take a look at the facility before it was opened. pretty impressive.