Ohio State offensive lineman Harry Miller retires from football

VABuckeye

My word, what a poignant and well-written post.  I'd venture that young man has a brilliant future ahead of him.  I hope he is able to fulfill it.

And props to Ryan Day for apparently supporting him well.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Day's father committed suicide when Day was young.  Mental health is something he has a fund for that is setup to support mental wellness for young people.

Harry Miller is a brilliant young man who is the ultimate over-achiever.  In his spare time he does mission visits to Nicaragua and donated all of his NIL money to help children down there.  I hope he can find peace and mental well being.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I saw a profile piece during the season regarding Coach Day's family history with suicide and how he had avoided speaking of it until a few years ago out of shame/embarrassment, etc.  He has made a change and chosen to focus on helping those who suffer.  Good on Coach Day and this kid for speaking up for so many who feel this way and suffer in silence.

Here is the piece I was referencing... about 6 minutes long but worth it.

Edited by orange dream
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Wow. What a tough thing to read. I pray for this young man and others going through similar situations. It is horrible that this seems to be yet another epidemic upon us, to go with Covid, and opioids, and fentanyl, and diabetes, etc.

What is causing it? Why are some of our best and brightest hitting such levels of mental anguish they murder themselves? It seems like it’s kids who are achievers, socially active, involved rather than the loners, outcasts, misfits we generally pigeonhole here.

I have no answers. I’ve got three young granddaughters that are smart, in a strong two parent loving attentive home, plenty of resources, etc and this shit scares me because I don’t know what causes it. As much as you try to tell them to come to you or anyone with problems you fear they won’t because they are kids or they have this awful fear of “snitching”, or they’ll bury it.

Eye opening words, but so true. It's not just the ones you "think" are lost that need help, there are so many more that seem to have it all together that are struggling way more than people have any clue until it is too late. Good for him for reaching out to someone and great for it being Ryan Day who knew what it meant.  I've lost a couple friends to suicide and of course wish I did more or seen it coming. The signs for help aren't always there or obvious but I've tried to be better about looking for it or even asking for it in some cases. It doesn't take much extra to ask people how they are doing and really mean it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wow... definitely brought a tear to these old eyes.

On a daily basis, I deal with, work with, represent people, mostly young women who struggle with mental health issues. 

With as much progress as has been made in the last 10 years discovering genetic links or predispositions toward certain recognized mental health illnesses, we are also exploring biological causes, mostly in the brain. 

And once the medical community can find biological causes or contributors, then new treatments can be developed and utilized ... like transcranial magnetic stimulus of the brain to treat depression. Once the biological aspects become public knowledge, it is hoped that much of the stigma will go away.

This young man is an incredible example of heart, soul and brain overcoming his demons. (Even though he will still have struggles ahead).

Would love to shake his hand one day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Glad he’s currently doing well and hope he continues to carry on to help others.

I hope he stays well also but once someone broaches that wall of actually seeing suicide as a viable path it can sneak back in quickly. I’ve got friends who have dealt with this and it’s a constant fear and concern. And for those who actually do it the impact on families is devastating like nothing else.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:57 AM, VABuckeye said:

Day's father committed suicide when Day was young.  Mental health is something he has a fund for that is setup to support mental wellness for young people.

Harry Miller is a brilliant young man who is the ultimate over-achiever.  In his spare time he does mission visits to Nicaragua and donated all of his NIL money to help children down there.  I hope he can find peace and mental well being.

Something tells me this young man will fulfill dreams and touch many lives going forward.