Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

Thanks, MoJames. 

Fun day yesterday. Felt oddly confident. It was the same way I felt before Game 7 of the 17 WS. I’ve enjoyed supporting LFC most of my adult life and as I heard someone else put it, it’s probably the most important of the least important things in my life. So yeah. Happy days. 

The parade starts in 30 minutes on the LFC YouTube page. 

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Klopp is just chilling on the back of the bus with a Heineken. Looks like the weight of the world is off his shoulders. Can’t imagine the joy and relief him and Hendo feel today. 

Just went by a store called "News and Booze" -- greatness!

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Klopp is just chilling on the back of the bus with a Heineken. Looks like the weight of the world is off his shoulders. Can’t imagine the joy and relief him and Hendo feel today. 

How satisfying must it be for him to see it all fall together like this. I mean 2 points from the EPL title, a massive comeback to get into the CL Final, and then his defense made it so difficult for the Spurs. I mean the scoring is great but the way the defense has improved is just astounding. I don't know if we talked about it earlier but look at the massive gulf between Man City + Liverpool and the rest of the EPL in terms of goal differential. How many clean sheets this season and in crucial moments? One against Barca. One yesterday. We used to worry about the backline for years. Now it's arguably the strongest aspect of the squad. 

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How satisfying must it be for him to see it all fall together like this. I mean 2 points from the EPL title, a massive comeback to get into the CL Final, and then his defense made it so difficult for the Spurs. I mean the scoring is great but the way the defense has improved is just astounding. I don't know if we talked about it earlier but look at the massive gulf between Man City + Liverpool and the rest of the EPL in terms of goal differential. How many clean sheets this season and in crucial moments? One against Barca. One yesterday. We used to worry about the backline for years. Now it's arguably the strongest aspect of the squad. 

That narrative changed basically overnight. Was watching with of my best buddies yesterday, who was half-heartedly cheering for Tottenham. At 1-0, I said this match would have at least one more goal. He agreed and talked about Liverpool's leaky backline. This is a guy who watches quite a bit EPL. I said that's no longer the case with Virgil and Allisson (among others) back there now. Virgil coming on in mid-season last year and the signing of Allisson completely flipped the script. Unreal.

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

He must not pay close attention when he watches quite a bit of the EPL. POTY is a centerback and golden gloves winner at keeper. 

Was caught a little off-guard to say the least. I don't think he watches much Liverpool.

When Jive and I went to the West Ham match last season, we did the hospitality package which included a pregame meal. At the meal, the team brought in David Johnson, a former player under Bob Paisley, to speak to all of us in the club area. He spoke a bit about what it meant to play for Liverpool and lift multiple domestic and international cups. He spoke about how the club desperately needed silverware to get over the hump. He was born in Liverpool and you could hear how much the club meant to him when he spoke. Though I think he said he grew up a Toffee and that was the first club he signed with. But his point really stood out. This silverware can propel this team to much higher things. It's going to hopefully keep our top players around while pulling in free agents who are pondering cold days in Merseyside versus being in places like London, Paris, Rome, or Spain.

I've always maintained that us in the States are lucky. We get to choose to follow this club. Over there, it's a birthright. It's what you grow up watching and believing in. It's so great that the city gets to experience this. It's such a great town that loves its team. You'd think Texas fans have championship blue balls. Imagine being a Liverpool fan and you haven't experienced this in any form since 2005 outside of a League Cup in 2012. You've been taunted by United, City, and Chelsea supporters for over a decade. And now you're champions of Europe. I can't wait to go back.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

When Jive and I went to the West Ham match last season, we did the hospitality package which included a pregame meal. At the meal, the team brought in David Johnson, a former player under Bob Paisley, to speak to all of us in the club area. He spoke a bit about what it meant to play for Liverpool and lift multiple domestic and international cups. He spoke about how the club desperately needed silverware to get over the hump. He was born in Liverpool and you could hear how much the club meant to him when he spoke. Though I think he said he grew up a Toffee and that was the first club he signed with. But his point really stood out. This silverware can propel this team to much higher things. It's going to hopefully keep our top players around while pulling in free agents who are pondering cold days in Merseyside versus being in places like London, Paris, Rome, or Spain.

I've always maintained that us in the States are lucky. We get to choose to follow this club. Over there, it's a birthright. It's what you grow up watching and believing in. It's so great that the city gets to experience this. It's such a great town that loves its team. You'd think Texas fans have championship blue balls. Imagine being a Liverpool fan and you haven't experienced this in any form since 2005 outside of a League Cup in 2012. You've been taunted by United, City, and Chelsea supporters for over a decade. And now you're champions of Europe. I can't wait to go back.  

If any of you missed the wonderful long-form ESPN story posted in-between Barca legs (I think) it's definitely worth your time to go back and read it now. Does a great job of describing what the club and city mean to each other. (BTW, there should be a link in this thread somewhere.)

Edited by C-Man

Liverpool vs Chelsea & Man City: UEFA Super Cup & Community Shield details confirmed

Spoiler

For the sixth time in their history, Liverpool are the champions of Europe.

After a remarkable 2018-19 season in which the Reds narrowly missed out on winning the Premier League title to Man City, Liverpool have now been crowned Champions League winners.

Liverpool got to lift ‘Big Ears’ for the first time in 14 years on Saturday night in Madrid.

The Reds beat Tottenham 2-0 in the showpiece thanks to goals from Mo Salah and Divock Origi.

Liverpool’s triumph has now set up two key matches: the UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea and the Community Shield against Man City.

UEFA Super Cup: Liverpool vs Chelsea

The 2019 UEFA Super Cup will be staged on Wednesday, August 14th.

UEFA are yet to confirm when the match will start, but it’s likely to be an 8 pm kick-off (UK time).

The showpiece will be staged in the Vodafone Park in Istanbul. That’s the home ground of Super Lig side Besiktas.

The ground can seat a little under 42,000 fans.

It’s currently unclear how many tickets will be given to both Liverpool and Chelsea.

For the record, this will be the first time that the UEFA Super Cup will be staged in Turkey.

Liverpool last won the UEFA Super Cup back in 2005 when they beat CSKA Moscow 3-1 in Monaco.

Community Shield: Liverpool vs Man City

It’s also worth noting that Liverpool will face Man City in the Community Shield.

That match will be staged at Wembley Stadium in August

The FA are yet to confirm whether the game will be played on August 3rd or 4th.

What about the FIFA Club World Cup?

Liverpool will not take part in the FIFA Club World Cup in the 2019-20 season.

Why? Because there is no FIFA Club World Cup this year.

FIFA recently changed the frequency of the competition, announcing the Club World Cup will only be staged every four years.

The next FIFA Club World Cup is in 2021.

Admittedly, I had to watch the 2nd half mostly on a phone while the wife was driving us to the recital. Then I watched in the lobby until the end with lots going on before the Origi goal. I need to sit down and fully watch the 2nd half. It's really interesting how shutdown Tottenham seemed. Maybe I'm mistaken but it seemed to be a very un-Liverpool like victory. But it wasn't as tense as I've felt previous 1-0 leads were. I don't know, it just seemed like Tottenham wasn't as threatening in the 2nd half based on how great the backline was. Again, I wasn't able to give the game my full attention. Am I wrong? 

I don't think they were that threatening at all, so no, you're not wrong. 

I felt like we allowed them to have as much of a ball as they wanted as long as it was on our terms. We allowed them to play in their half, but when they did try and attack, we clearly showed we could hurt them on the counter. Spurs had some good chances toward the end. Becker made some nice saves too, but other than a few times, they didn't cause us too much trouble. 

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Admittedly, I had to watch the 2nd half mostly on a phone while the wife was driving us to the recital. Then I watched in the lobby until the end with lots going on before the Origi goal. I need to sit down and fully watch the 2nd half. It's really interesting how shutdown Tottenham seemed. Maybe I'm mistaken but it seemed to be a very un-Liverpool like victory. But it wasn't as tense as I've felt previous 1-0 leads were. I don't know, it just seemed like Tottenham wasn't as threatening in the 2nd half based on how great the backline was. Again, I wasn't able to give the game my full attention. Am I wrong? 

Never at any point did I feel nervous – until the Eriksen free kick. Tottenham had absolutely no threat whatsoever until very late and we were up to the task. Then Origi scored and it was curtains. 

5 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Never at any point did I feel nervous – until the Eriksen free kick.

There was one shot from Son that freaked me out (73'). Maybe I was half-drunk or it was the angle of the shot, but when he tried to finesse it into the right corner, I thought it was in. That ball hung there forever until Becker pulled it in.

21 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Never at any point did I feel nervous – until the Eriksen free kick. Tottenham had absolutely no threat whatsoever until very late and we were up to the task. Then Origi scored and it was curtains. 

Even on the free kick, I thought Becker set the wall up properly, he was forceful in his organization of his other defenders, and he had his eyes on the kick the whole way. He had to fully stretch but he got rid of it with authority. 

Looking back on the '18 final, I think we were a little awed by the moment. We were all business Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Looking back on the '18 final, I think we were a little awed by the moment. We were all business Saturday. 

That was my confidence going into the match. Spurs probably felt like they were "lucky" to be there and a win would be fantastic. We felt like we earned it and were focused on the Cup.

48 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Even on the free kick, I thought Becker set the wall up properly, he was forceful in his organization of his other defenders, and he had his eyes on the kick the whole way. He had to fully stretch but he got rid of it with authority. 

First 30 minutes against Real was all in their end/box. Salah getting hurt turned that game 180 degrees. Karius getting a concussion and us having no bench didn’t help later on. 

Pretty much what everyone else hit on...after that early goal we could just sit back and let spurs come to us...spurs just couldnt break us down
Some of that could be the layoff as both teams seemed a bit off on the attack
....defense travels in any sport

Fair points. The Salah injury was key but we only had 1 shot on target in the first half and RM had all the possession.

Owning both the WS and CL titles at the same time is pretty cool for FSG. I hate the Red Sox and their fans but their owners aren't bad. 

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

There was one shot from Son that freaked me out (73'). Maybe I was half-drunk or it was the angle of the shot, but when he tried to finesse it into the right corner, I thought it was in. That ball hung there forever until Becker pulled it in.

The camera angle made it look like he hit a chip into the top right corner. I had a little freakout as well.

• Like 1