Worst covers

austingirl

Eh, that never bothered me all that much.  It's way too polished, but at least she can sing.

Now, in my mind THIS is the definition of a horrible cover . . . and worse yet, it's become the "go to" version for next generation covers.  

On 5/28/2018 at 4:38 AM, austingirl said:

And I don't mean Weird Al-style shit that's an obvious parody. I humbly submit the following.

I agree that she can really sing, but there was no reason for that song to be turned into some slick recording. There is a reason raw Janis Joplin with Big Brother is such an awesome song, it’s not the mix board, or whatever they call it

On 5/28/2018 at 5:30 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, that never bothered me all that much.  It's way too polished, but at least she can sing.

Now, in my mind THIS is the definition of a horrible cover . . . and worse yet, it's become the "go to" version for next generation covers.  

Is that gal someone famous? Or did she become someone famous cuz those were awesome “mmm, bop bop” lines that she added.

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Is that gal someone famous? Or did she become someone famous cuz those were awesome “mmm, bop bop” lines that she added.

She had a big hit (can't remember the name) sometime around that cover.  It was a breathless girly "I'm gonna read my diary and play piano" type ballad.

20 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I agree that she can really sing, but there was no reason for that song to be turned into some slick recording. There is a reason raw Janis Joplin with Big Brother is such an awesome song, it’s not the mix board, or whatever they call it

Yeah, she has a great voice, but Piece of My Heart is one of those songs that's greater than the sum of its parts. Janis Joplin's voice made that song. Anything else, especially upbeat like this, takes away the raw pain of the song. Another one I think of similarly is Man in a Box by Alice in Chains. I can't imagine anyone besides Layne Staley doing that one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...