The Maldives

hornbri

There has been a few posts in various travel threads but I don’t think we have one for Maldives yet so I think it is time we started one. 

I have plans to go later this month and there are a few others who have trips upcoming @Biff Tannen

Travel there is a journey we are flying from AUS-DFW-DOH-MLE once you get to Male you either take a speedboat or a puddle jumper to your resort (most resorts in the Maldives are on their own island). 

I am going to stay at https://www.conradmaldives.com which does have a under water suite (we are not staying in that).

image.thumb.png.3fbcc669d4be3967d38ec3a325f332b3.png

Plans right now are mostly just to relax although I do want to do one fishing trip just to mark “Fish in Indian Ocean” off the list. 

Who has been? Any tips?

My wife (no pics) and I stayed at the Four Seasons in the Maldives several years ago and it was amazing. Luckily we were living overseas at the time so the flight wasn't as long as it would be had we been in the US.

Highly recommend going. Great trip to do a whole lot of nothing.

Yeah, we are pumped about this trip.  We got a killer deal during the height of covid (?) last year at the Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa.  Going for 5 nights at the end of January.  We've done the flight before (to Sri Lanka) and it wasn't super fun, but we ponied up and got business class on Qatar Airlines this time.  Not cheap, but worth it for 19 hours in the air or whatever.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I am starting to plan a surprise trip to the Maldives for me and the wife.  Looking to see if any others have been and their experiences there.  Places there look pretty great no matter your resort.  I am looking for an over water bungalow for us, with a resort that has a beach as well.  Flights are obviously long but no problem.  Plan on flying Emirates from IAH.

If anyone has been let me know your recs, and anything else.

Well for starters the Maldives have no elevation.  None.  The scenery will be other bungalows, water, and the brief treeline from whatever island you're attached too.  Just a little tuft of green and tan from a hundred yards away.  One perk is isolation.  If you look, you can find a resort that's miles away from any other island.  Or you can look for places with built in scenery. 

St-Regis-Bora-Bora.jpg