2022 Dallas Mavs Offseason - The search for a rim protector.

RexWilson

We just finished a season that exceeded most expectations of what this roster was capable of. Now we turn the focus to improving some of the spots and not having a regression like the Atlanta Hawks did after their 21 conference finals run.

Two biggest areas to address is improving our center position over Dwight Powell and what to do with Brunson.

I am hoping we do a sign and trade with Brunson. I like him, but I don't think he and Luka compliment each others game.

We still have a $10mil trade exception. That cannot be combined with salary so not sure if we use it.

We have the 26th pick in the draft. I don't follow draft prospects that deep so who knows.

For the center spot, Mo Bamba is a restricted free agent. He has improved his 3pt shooting and does protect the rim. Might be a trade option.  Myles Turner is the ideal guy but I dont think Indiana trades him. Gobert is too expensive imo. Jusuf Nurkic isnt a rim protector but gets hella rebounds and has an offensive game that would work with Luka.

Early rumor from Stein is we have interest in Zach Levine.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a logjam at the 2 with Bullock, Spencer, and THjr. I think the odd man out is THjr but how do we get rid of him? His contract is just worse than bertans's altho he contributes more.

Also gotta think bobi's played his last game as a Maverick.

He’s definitely tradeable but you might need to let him showcase a bit next season. 

I think you're right about playing him before he's traded, I don't think anyone would trade for him right now.

Here's a good snapshot of our situation.
d48b8d99fe9f78be5debd24cf9d53e83.jpg

I can't agree with trading Brunson.  The playoffs proved that we need at least one other playmaker on the court at the same time.  An offense with more off ball movement will facilitate both Luka and Brunson working better together.  What I can agree with though is that Luka doesn't need another "star" to play alongside him.  A better center in place of Powell who won't get played off the court in the playoffs and 2 more Bullock and Finney-Smith level 3 and D wings would make us a bonifide contender.  

The NBA has got the most confusing CBA in regards to contracts and finances. I did not know this was a thing for sign and trades:

Brunson is expected to command $20-plus million per season in free agency, which would allow Dallas to acquire another premium role player in return, but sign-and-trades the rules are a bit different. Only 50 percent of JB’s new salary would be allowed to come back to Dallas, but the full $20 million counts going in the other direction. If Brunson signed for $20 million, the Mavs would only be able to acquire a player making $10 million in return, per ESPN’s Bobby Marks (subscription required).

The math of a sign-and-trade would be difficult and that CBA rule would limit what the Dallas Mavericks could acquire in return. Do the Mavs want to lose their second-leading scorer for a role player making approximately $10 million? They may be able to acquire multiple pieces, but it would still be difficult to get enough value back in the deal.

Marc Stein reported via his Substack (subscription required) that the Mavs are preparing to keep both Pinson and Marjanovic on their roster for next season. Pinson was on a two-way deal this year, but he must move to the standard roster spot because he will be entering his fifth NBA season.

Keeping both Pinson and Marjanovic almost guarantees the Mavericks will make a trade this summer as they would have 15 players under contract before re-signing Jalen Brunson. Expect Dallas to be active and aggressive as they look to improve their roster around superstar Luka Doncic.

Boban Marjanovic and Theo Pinson both played a key role in the Dallas Mavericks' run to the Western Conference Finals, even if they saw limited time on the court. Expect them to bring the energy next season as Dallas attempts to make another deep playoff run.

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

What makes you think that?

i should've caveated that with "unless we trade dwight".  if we manage to add a bomba for example without trading away one of boban, maxi, or dwight, we wouldn't keep all four of them on the roster.  boban's the one at the end of the bench, perhaps we could retain him as a coach or on staff somehow since he's besties with luka. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

i should've caveated that with "unless we trade dwight".  if we manage to add a bomba for example without trading away one of boban, maxi, or dwight, we wouldn't keep all four of them on the roster.  boban's the one at the end of the bench, perhaps we could retain him as a coach or on staff somehow since he's besties with luka. 

Good stuff and I was actually being sarcastic because Boban is obviously beyond useless in a basketball player capacity, but like you said, need to bring him on staff to keep the good vibes going with Luka and teammates and fanbase since he's a great personality and favorite of many.

Did I just read that Bobi and Pinson played a major role in the Mavs’ run?  Lulz. 

I disagree with the sentiment in this thread. Mavs need a major talent infusion to be a legitimate contender. Powell isn’t good and as someone described Bobi as useless, for the price Powell is more useless. He’s weak as hell. 

We don’t have any athletic forwards who can get to the rim, and I say this as someone who loves DFS and Kleber. We have a logjam at 2, and our 2 and 3 scoring options are not at all consistent although JB got better at that. 

I don’t think JB and Luka are compatible. I would trade JB and try and solve some of our issues. The Mavs Way would dictate, run it back with largely the same group, and I think that’d be a colossal mistake and we’d probably regress and not make WCF next year. 

I'm not going to be disappointed if we sign Brunson and generally run it back next year and then see if we can make something happen at the trade deadline (particularly if we've rehabilitated THJ).  Obviously I hope we can make something bigger happen but there just doesn't appear to be obvious targets available that clearly help us take the next step.

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Did I just read that Bobi and Pinson played a major role in the Mavs’ run?  Lulz. 

I disagree with the sentiment in this thread. Mavs need a major talent infusion to be a legitimate contender. Powell isn’t good and as someone described Bobi as useless, for the price Powell is more useless. He’s weak as hell. 

We don’t have any athletic forwards who can get to the rim, and I say this as someone who loves DFS and Kleber. We have a logjam at 2, and our 2 and 3 scoring options are not at all consistent although JB got better at that. 

I don’t think JB and Luka are compatible. I would trade JB and try and solve some of our issues. The Mavs Way would dictate, run it back with largely the same group, and I think that’d be a colossal mistake and we’d probably regress and not make WCF next year. 

I agree with all of this. For me the key for the offseason is choosing between THJ and JB. I think you keep JB and try to turn THJ and Powell into a reliable 3-and-D wing and an athletic big who can provide some defense. They proved they can win without THJ's offense but the defense struggled in too many games (in part because they have to hide Luka). If they keep THJ they really have to upgrade the frontcourt.

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

I agree with all of this. For me the key for the offseason is choosing between THJ and JB. I think you keep JB and try to turn THJ and Powell into a reliable 3-and-D wing and an athletic big who can provide some defense. They proved they can win without THJ's offense but the defense struggled in too many games (in part because they have to hide Luka). If they keep THJ they really have to upgrade the frontcourt.

You may agree with me but then you went on an acid trip. THJ is not a 3 and D guy. He and Dinwiddie are very similar players and both are slashers. THJ a better outside threat. They are both non-defending 2 guards. Powell will never be what you need him to be. One of JB or THJ needs to go.  I’m of the opinion we need BOTH a legit 2nd scoring option and All-Star that can play 3 in a big lineup and 4 in a smaller lineup. AND a Gobert type. Frankly anything less will be a failed offseason. And hard pass on Bamba. He does absolutely nothing for me, except he’s not Powell, or needs to GTFO. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You may agree with me but then you went on an acid trip. THJ is not a 3 and D guy. He and Dinwiddie are very similar players and both are slashers. THJ a better outside threat. They are both non-defending 2 guards. Powell will never be what you need him to be. One of JB or THJ needs to go.  I’m of the opinion we need BOTH a legit 2nd scoring option and All-Star that can play 3 in a big lineup and 4 in a smaller lineup. AND a Gobert type. Frankly anything less will be a failed offseason. And hard pass on Bamba. He does absolutely nothing for me, except he’s not Powell, or needs to GTFO. 

Maybe try reading gooder. I said they need to turn THJ and Powell into a 3 and D guy and big that is worth a shit, as in trade them for that.

Edited by Llogg

46 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Maybe try reading gooder. I said they need to turn THJ and Powell into a 3 and D guy and big that is worth a shit, as in trade them for that.

I don’t even know how to respond to two such absurd notions. Have a good night. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Me: trade THJ and Dwight Powell for guys that fit needs better

@Porterhouse: you're on acid b/c THJ and Dwight Powell don't fit this team's needs

Me: that's why I said use them as assets to acquire what is needed to get the team over the hump

@Porterhouse: I still don't know English.

😂 @Porterhouse sucks at reading. 

47 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Let me re-phrase: why would Chicago let him walk? Surely they're going to make an effort to re-sign him, right?

They are but whether it's all part of an effort to force the Bulls to give him the max, or he really would rather go elsewhere, there are rumblings that Levine is playing hardball.  

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Let me re-phrase: why would Chicago let him walk? Surely they're going to make an effort to re-sign him, right?

They’ve made efforts. Lavine hasn’t accepted. The fact that he made it to the market as an unrestricted free agent means there is a disconnect and he’s available. Now does he want to come to Dallas and would the Mavs offer enough? Nobody knows. 

Jake Kemp pretty much expressed my sentiment to a tee in his latest D magazine article. 

And when a team is this close with only one year of experience with a new coaching staff, I would caution against the idea that only sweeping personnel changes make for a successful offseason. We know the issues: rim protection, rebounding, wing depth. Harrison enumerated them in his exit interview last week, while also—to me, anyway—pumping the breaks on expectations. 

“I don’t think it’s just about having All-Stars,” Harrison said. “There’s tons of teams—and I’m not even going to waste my time mentioning names—that have a bunch of All-Stars, and they were sitting at home watching us play [in the Western Conference Finals]. You need to keep upgrading the roster, but I don’t think it’s about just getting a bunch of All-Stars. I think it’s about getting people that fit together—starting with Luka—and people that can fit around him. I think that’s more important than just getting All-Stars.”

I can’t believe I’m saying this after complaining about the Mavericks’ offseason complacency for years, but I agree with Harrison. For example, Jalen Brunson is an exceptional fit with Doncic because he is the rare guard who understands how to mold his game to the context on the floor. This quote from Tim MacMahon’s recent piece tells you all you need to know about how important it is for Dallas to do essentially anything it has to do to keep Brunson versus putting a player with a flashier résumé atop the list of needs:

“The main challenge is probably ego,” Brunson said. “When a person has the ball in his hands for that long, people can get upset. People want the ball or people say they need a rhythm. I learned how I need to play without a rhythm. I don’t need a rhythm. It’s Luka Doncic. Shit’s not changing. It’s Luka Doncic. I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s an amazing player, he’s going to do a lot of great things, and this organization is going to build around him. I’ve grown into the mindset of, how can I fit that mold? How can I be successful in my role or in whatever role they want me to be in?”

As the Mavericks keep building around Doncic and growing a roster that caters to his unique skill set, a player with that mindset becomes indispensable. Doncic might not play with another player like Brunson, who can score 40 if Doncic misses time or produce when sharing the floor with him while remaining comfortable with that set of circumstances.

I’d said since the midseason trade that it is probably untenable to move forward with Brunson on a new contract given the large salaries of Dinwiddie, Bertans, and Tim Hardaway Jr. all coming off the bench. I have begun to rethink that idea. Hardaway Jr. gives the club another option for rim attacks, making the club less reliant on the whims of the long ball from night to night. Had he been available, Dallas would have increased its depth, shooting, and offensive versatility.  Bullock and Dorian Finney-Smith could have played a few fewer minutes. Another version of a three-guard lineup without Doncic have been situationally available. 

Perhaps an opportunity to move off of one or two of those aforementioned bench salaries presents itself, and maybe the perceived fit is worth the gamble. But we must remember that Dallas improved drastically this season by making a single under-the-radar offseason signing, then by making a trade that was supposed to lower their ceiling in the short term. So when you have a perennial MVP candidate and a head coach who, at least right now, appears to be one of the better ones in the sport, it might be wise to heed Dinwiddie’s advice after the team was eliminated.

“We can attack the rim, for sure,” Dinwiddie told the media after Game 3 of the Warriors series. “But we’re constructed the way we’re constructed. You get to the Western Conference Finals and you start missing shots, but you can’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”

Maybe another slight change or two in the way the team is constructed is all it needs to get over the hump for good. After all, very recent Mavs history tells us a little can sometimes go a long way. 

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/06/the-case-for-continuity-why-a-quiet-mavericks-offseason-could-be-just-what-dallas-needs/

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Jake Kemp pretty much expressed my sentiment to a tee in his latest D magazine article. 

And when a team is this close with only one year of experience with a new coaching staff, I would caution against the idea that only sweeping personnel changes make for a successful offseason. We know the issues: rim protection, rebounding, wing depth. Harrison enumerated them in his exit interview last week, while also—to me, anyway—pumping the breaks on expectations. 

“I don’t think it’s just about having All-Stars,” Harrison said. “There’s tons of teams—and I’m not even going to waste my time mentioning names—that have a bunch of All-Stars, and they were sitting at home watching us play [in the Western Conference Finals]. You need to keep upgrading the roster, but I don’t think it’s about just getting a bunch of All-Stars. I think it’s about getting people that fit together—starting with Luka—and people that can fit around him. I think that’s more important than just getting All-Stars.”

I can’t believe I’m saying this after complaining about the Mavericks’ offseason complacency for years, but I agree with Harrison. For example, Jalen Brunson is an exceptional fit with Doncic because he is the rare guard who understands how to mold his game to the context on the floor. This quote from Tim MacMahon’s recent piece tells you all you need to know about how important it is for Dallas to do essentially anything it has to do to keep Brunson versus putting a player with a flashier résumé atop the list of needs:

“The main challenge is probably ego,” Brunson said. “When a person has the ball in his hands for that long, people can get upset. People want the ball or people say they need a rhythm. I learned how I need to play without a rhythm. I don’t need a rhythm. It’s Luka Doncic. Shit’s not changing. It’s Luka Doncic. I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s an amazing player, he’s going to do a lot of great things, and this organization is going to build around him. I’ve grown into the mindset of, how can I fit that mold? How can I be successful in my role or in whatever role they want me to be in?”

As the Mavericks keep building around Doncic and growing a roster that caters to his unique skill set, a player with that mindset becomes indispensable. Doncic might not play with another player like Brunson, who can score 40 if Doncic misses time or produce when sharing the floor with him while remaining comfortable with that set of circumstances.

I’d said since the midseason trade that it is probably untenable to move forward with Brunson on a new contract given the large salaries of Dinwiddie, Bertans, and Tim Hardaway Jr. all coming off the bench. I have begun to rethink that idea. Hardaway Jr. gives the club another option for rim attacks, making the club less reliant on the whims of the long ball from night to night. Had he been available, Dallas would have increased its depth, shooting, and offensive versatility.  Bullock and Dorian Finney-Smith could have played a few fewer minutes. Another version of a three-guard lineup without Doncic have been situationally available. 

Perhaps an opportunity to move off of one or two of those aforementioned bench salaries presents itself, and maybe the perceived fit is worth the gamble. But we must remember that Dallas improved drastically this season by making a single under-the-radar offseason signing, then by making a trade that was supposed to lower their ceiling in the short term. So when you have a perennial MVP candidate and a head coach who, at least right now, appears to be one of the better ones in the sport, it might be wise to heed Dinwiddie’s advice after the team was eliminated.

“We can attack the rim, for sure,” Dinwiddie told the media after Game 3 of the Warriors series. “But we’re constructed the way we’re constructed. You get to the Western Conference Finals and you start missing shots, but you can’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”

Maybe another slight change or two in the way the team is constructed is all it needs to get over the hump for good. After all, very recent Mavs history tells us a little can sometimes go a long way. 

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/06/the-case-for-continuity-why-a-quiet-mavericks-offseason-could-be-just-what-dallas-needs/

I disagree. This is a perennial 50-win team playing in a very watered-down West this year, to the point that a largely-ordinary Suns team dominated the conference. The Mavs cannot extract 60 wins out of this roster. It won’t be a top seed. It needs a significant personnel upgrade. 

I think you’re going to have to identify needs and prioritize which ones you’d like to address because they don’t have the flexibility to address everything this off-season. I’d love to see them get Looney for rebounding and better rim protection and then find a guy in the draft. That combined with THJ should make you a better team next season. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I disagree. This is a perennial 50-win team playing in a very watered-down West this year, to the point that a largely-ordinary Suns team dominated the conference. The Mavs cannot extract 60 wins out of this roster. It won’t be a top seed. It needs a significant personnel upgrade. 

The basic sentiment from Jake's article and others in this thread is that another superstar may not necessarily "fit" with Luka, and that the Dirk/Olajuwon model of surrounding your superstar with a deep and varied supporting cast may be the better route to take in building this team into a contender. Like Jake pointed out in the article, the amount of improvement  we got with just the addition of Bullock and the trade of Porzingis for Dimwiddie & Bertans lends credence to the idea that we don't need a high end name to supplement this roster. Someone on the level of a 2010 Tyson Chandler, who wasn't hailed as a title additive piece in the summer prior to the championship, may be the type of under the radar addition that would tick us up a notch in terms title contention. Look at what the addition of Al Horford did for the Celtics this year. No one could've predicted his addition to the team in a trade for Kemba Walker would push them towards being 1 game up in the NBA finals tonight. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, cmontexas said:

Im intrigued by this trade our shitty players for good players idea

Powell and THJ are not shitty. Powell coming off the bench is probably fine but if he's the starting big the team is fundamentally limited. THJ is a fine, starting caliber player. He just does not provide enough complementary value to the roster and is one of the few pieces that might bring value on the trade market. That said, yeah, they should try to win trades. Isn't that always the case? 

Brunson is our main trade chip that teams covet. Historically though, I think its usually worked out better for the teams that hold on to those types of guys and must continue to build around them. 

Realistically a Brunson trade might bring back Robinson and Julius Randle from NY. And its arguable that would lift the ceiling on the 2023 Mavs. The 2025 Mavs will probably wish they had Brunson though

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Brunson is our main trade chip that teams covet. Historically though, I think its usually worked out better for the teams that hold on to those types of guys and must continue to build around them. 

Realistically a Brunson trade might bring back Robinson and Julius Randle from NY. And its arguable that would lift the ceiling on the 2023 Mavs. The 2025 Mavs will probably wish they had Brunson though

The problem there is that it would have to be sign and trade, which has worse cap math for Dallas and would make it difficult to take back Randle's salary. Otherwise sure that's a good deal for next year. 

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I'm not so sure about it historically working out for teams that hold on to these types of players. It's a case by base basis. The league is filled with guys who got overpaid after one good season and were a salary cap albatross for years to come.

Julius Randle had a pretty disappointing season for the Knicks. They would probably be happy to offload the $100+ million they have committed to him over the next four years, even without getting an asset like Brunson in return. 

19 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I can agree with this. You can't assume because we made the WCF this year, we are building something great with this roster. Denver and LAC were injured. They will be better. Phoenix is not going anywhere. Neither is GSW. Minnesota and NO look to be getting better and gained playoff experience. It is going to very deep West if all healthy. This roster I do not think is built to consistently compete. And this roster was exposed by GSW. We desperately need some bigs and better defense. It's too bad Luka and Brunson can not work off each other and develop chemistry. Front office has to be very proactive in getting better. 

17 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The basic sentiment from Jake's article and others in this thread is that another superstar may not necessarily "fit" with Luka, and that the Dirk/Olajuwon model of surrounding your superstar with a deep and varied supporting cast may be the better route to take in building this team into a contender. Like Jake pointed out in the article, the amount of improvement  we got with just the addition of Bullock and the trade of Porzingis for Dimwiddie & Bertans lends credence to the idea that we don't need a high end name to supplement this roster. Someone on the level of a 2010 Tyson Chandler, who wasn't hailed as a title additive piece in the summer prior to the championship, may be the type of under the radar addition that would tick us up a notch in terms title contention. Look at what the addition of Al Horford did for the Celtics this year. No one could've predicted his addition to the team in a trade for Kemba Walker would push them towards being 1 game up in the NBA finals tonight. 

The Dirk/Olajuwon model isn’t sustainable. Dallas did it better even though we fell short on titles. If Jordan hadn’t decided to fuck around with baseball, the Rockets wouldn’t have any. For all of our great play from ‘06-‘11, we had one title.  I want more than a shot at one title, which we don’t really have now in a healthier year. Luka is better than Dirk, but needs more help. A lot more.  Re: Chandler and 2011 comparisons - even if they added Gobert, it wouldn’t necessarily elevate them to title contenders and surefire WCF repeat participants.  We need more.

About Boston, this is a weird year and an underperforming East. They’re about to get run by the Warriors anyway. They’ll lose in 5 or 6. 

5 hours ago, Llogg said:

Powell and THJ are not shitty. Powell coming off the bench is probably fine but if he's the starting big the team is fundamentally limited. THJ is a fine, starting caliber player. He just does not provide enough complementary value to the roster and is one of the few pieces that might bring value on the trade market. That said, yeah, they should try to win trades. Isn't that always the case? 

Disagree strongly on Powell. He’s shitty. THJ brings a “to the rim” slasher mentality that exceeds Spencer’s ability. Personally, I would hate to part ways with him when he’ll be undervalued. I’d rather sign and trade a more valuable JB. 

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

Powell can't play in the playoffs so I wouldn't say he's fine. With his $11million cap figure in the last year of his contract Powell may end up being a worthwhile trade piece next year for a team looking to build cap space going into the '23 free agent season.  

Upgrading Powell is the one realistic thing the Mavs can do over the next 7 or 8 months. Throwing Brunson away right now just doesn't seem smart. Unrealistic we would replace him with an All-Star this offseason. Swapping JB out for someone better in the next couple of months seems like Mavs fans that would always get excited by "cap space" every offseason. 

And since Mark Cuban bought the team, they have rarely just 'ran it back'. The only times the really tried just running it back was after the '06 Finals, and that team won 67 games the next year. Just may take until near the All-Star break to make a trade.

Walked away from Steve Nash, Michael Finley, Antawn Jameson, Antoine Walker, Devin Harris, Josh Howard, Tyson Chandler, OJ Mayo, Monta Ellis, Rajon Rondo, Chandler Parsons, Wes Mathews, Harrison Barnes, Kristaps Porzingis. 

10 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Upgrading Powell is the one realistic thing the Mavs can do over the next 7 or 8 months. Throwing Brunson away right now just doesn't seem smart. Unrealistic we would replace him with an All-Star this offseason. Swapping JB out for someone better in the next couple of months seems like Mavs fans that would always get excited by "cap space" every offseason. 

And since Mark Cuban bought the team, they have rarely just 'ran it back'. The only times the really tried just running it back was after the '06 Finals, and that team won 67 games the next year. Just may take until near the All-Star break to make a trade.

Walked away from Steve Nash, Michael Finley, Antawn Jameson, Antoine Walker, Devin Harris, Josh Howard, Tyson Chandler, OJ Mayo, Monta Ellis, Rajon Rondo, Chandler Parsons, Wes Mathews, Harrison Barnes, Kristaps Porzingis. 

Trading Brunson away would be stupid to begin with, but it's even more egregious to do it in a sign and trade this offseason considering all the limitations trading him this offseason would constrain us with. We'd literally only be able to get 50 cents on the dollar if we were to trade him this off-season in a sign and trade. The Mavs should do everything in their power to sign him and reevaluate trade options regarding him in the future if need be. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2