2022 Dallas Mavs Offseason - The search for a rim protector.

RexWilson

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Don't know how the Mavs don't get desperate at some point. We're going into Luka year 5 and just took a slight step back most likely losing Brunson.

Made it to the western conference finals the year they completely reshuffled the roster at the trade deadline and you expect them to be desperate?

37 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mavs kinda remind me of the Hawks from 2 years ago when they had a lightening in a bottle type run.

And they just leveraged an expiring contract to trade for a young asset that should help their young star flourish. NBA rosters are fickle and I lean toward the play with patience side of things while trying to get out of bad contract hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the penalty should be forfeiture of all draft picks for a certain year.  make it hurt.  as it stands no one cares. either that or abolish the rule if enforcement is going to be so limp wristed.

they should be forced to give the Mavs a #1.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:03 AM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Don't know how the Mavs don't get desperate at some point. We're going into Luka year 5 and just took a slight step back most likely losing Brunson.

Desperate, Lol. We had a weak roster with JB and have a stronger one now. We’d be lucky to get out of the first round with the same roster inclusive of JB. We definitely would not have a top 4 seed. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mavs kinda remind me of the Hawks from 2 years ago when they had a lightening in a bottle type run.

Agreed and exactly why they’re making significant roster moves. They know they need to upgrade, and significantly. 

23 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Makes no sense to me not to bring in Lukas best friend for the vet min. Dragic can still give you 15 minutes a night and we need another ball handler after Brunson told Cuban to fuck off.

Dragic is a TOTAL non-factor. Makes perfect sense. 

23 hours ago, Llogg said:

Dragic is pretty much done at this point in his career. I'm sure if Luka had pushed hard enough it would have happened but he's not going to impact winning.

Correct. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:12 PM, Vic Mackey said:

FB_IMG_1657217526473.jpg

This kid looks really good through 2 games. I know it's just summer league, but Hardy and Lawson both look very promising. And fuck the Knicks and JB for not playing by the rules. Hiring his dad ahead of his free agency negotiations seems a little suspect to me as well

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Cornpop said:

This kid looks really good through 2 games. I know it's just summer league, but Hardy and Lawson both look very promising. And fuck the Knicks and JB for not playing by the rules. Hiring his dad ahead of his free agency negotiations seems a little suspect to me as well

we're watching different games then.  his second game was bad.  so was his third game last night.  4-15 in each of those games.  he's a turnover machine from a combination of bad handles and poor decision making.  he has the skill and natural athleticism to contribute in the nba but he is far from that level. 

i've only watched them play 3 games of summer league, but....

....if we really are signing tyler dorsey to a two way we're going to lose one of either jerrick harding or aj lawson.  they're both guys i could see contributing this year.  i especially love harding's game.  he reminds me so much of dj augustin. 

23 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we're watching different games then.  his second game was bad.  so was his third game last night.  4-15 in each of those games.  he's a turnover machine from a combination of bad handles and poor decision making.  he has the skill and natural athleticism to contribute in the nba but he is far from that level. 

Ok Debbie Downer

On 7/12/2022 at 6:18 PM, Cornpop said:

Meh on JB. We should’ve offered him a LOT sooner than we did. Cuban really fucked up because Cuban is a fuckup. But JB will fail spectacularly in NY and wanted to be the guy. We dodged a bullet. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Meh on JB. We should’ve offered him a LOT sooner than we did. Cuban really fucked up because Cuban is a fuckup. But JB will fail spectacularly in NY and wanted to be the guy. We dodged a bullet. 

Agree. He did the same thing Jerrah did with Dak Prescott. You would think Cuban is smarter than JJ but apparently not

28 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

Agree. He did the same thing Jerrah did with Dak Prescott. You would think Cuban is smarter than JJ but apparently not

They’re both clowns. Ballsy and genius in their own ways but incredibly dumb and over-involved in the management of the sports aspects of their teams.  

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

We didn’t dodge a bullet.  We lost a valuable asset for nothing in return, and when you are already over the cap it is difficult to replace that asset.  See Golden State doing the sign and trade for DLo when Kd left, and then flipping him for Wiggins and a lottery pick.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

We didn’t dodge a bullet.  We lost a valuable asset for nothing in return, and when you are already over the cap it is difficult to replace that asset.  See Golden State doing the sign and trade for DLo when Kd left, and then flipping him for Wiggins and a lottery pick.

On one hand we didn't dodge a bullet because we mismanaged it in some capacity. I’m not convinced we could’ve extended him as cheaply as Rick Brunson contends, but had we shown him love we could’ve had a useful cog for cheaper than $26 million per year. And we clearly mismanaged his ego such that a sign and trade wasn’t possible.

In my mind, where we dodged a bullet is at the point where we’d already mismanaged things, getting into a bidding war for simply a cog isn’t smart. He’s not going to both improve the Knicks significantly and be an all star. What he is is a nice player that would be the 4th best scorer on a champion. Maybe 3rd best. That’s simply what he is; he’s limited to be anything more than a good pro. When you combine that with his attitude about wanting to be the man, you don’t chase a guy like that - that’s where we dodged a bullet. Even when we’d be probably temporarily better with him. We must deploy $ that would be for JB smartly, and we will be better off. He’s just not that good. Certainly not for what the Knicks paid him. 

7 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

On one hand we didn't dodge a bullet because we mismanaged it in some capacity. I’m not convinced we could’ve extended him as cheaply as Rick Brunson contends, but had we shown him love we could’ve had a useful cog for cheaper than $26 million per year. And we clearly mismanaged his ego such that a sign and trade wasn’t possible.

In my mind, where we dodged a bullet is at the point where we’d already mismanaged things, getting into a bidding war for simply a cog isn’t smart. He’s not going to both improve the Knicks significantly and be an all star. What he is is a nice player that would be the 4th best scorer on a champion. Maybe 3rd best. That’s simply what he is; he’s limited to be anything more than a good pro. When you combine that with his attitude about wanting to be the man, you don’t chase a guy like that - that’s where we dodged a bullet. Even when we’d be probably temporarily better with him. We must deploy $ that would be for JB smartly, and we will be better off. He’s just not that good. Certainly not for what the Knicks paid him. 

What part do you not understand? There's no money to spend that would have gone to JB. It literally didn't matter what we paid him because all we were going to be able to do was use the Exception, make some trades, and maybe sign some vet minimums. Would you rather have Brunson and no ability to sign anyone or not have Brunson and no ability to sign anyone? Those are the choices. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

What part do you not understand? There's no money to spend that would have gone to JB. It literally didn't matter what we paid him because all we were going to be able to do was use the Exception, make some trades, and maybe sign some vet minimums. Would you rather have Brunson and no ability to sign anyone or not have Brunson and no ability to sign anyone? Those are the choices. 

The only choices?  How were we able to get Wood and what were we going to offer JB if we had no money?

8 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not convinced we could’ve extended him as cheaply as Rick Brunson contends

This I 100% agree with.  I've never understood why NBA reporters are taking Rick's comments as gold when he made them early in the playoffs when he CLEARLY already had an agenda he was driving.  

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

The only choices?  How were we able to get Wood and what were we going to offer JB if we had no money?

We are able to make trades and I said as such. That had no bearing on having JB on the team or not. 

We were able to sign JB to a contract because we had his bird rights. We can't just go out and offer someone else $25 million to come play for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

We are able to make trades and I said as such. That had no bearing on having JB on the team or not. 

We were able to sign JB to a contract because we had his bird rights. We can't just go out and offer someone else $25 million to come play for us. 

Porterhouse constantly has hot sports opinions on this thread as to exactly what the Mavs need to do while readily admitting he has no idea how the cap rules etc. work and that he has no desire to try to learn.  

Edited by Skipper

39 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Porterhouse constantly has hot sports opinions on this thread as to exactly what the Mavs need to do while readily admitting he has no idea how the cap rules etc. work and that he has no desire to try to learn.  

And this is all true. I don’t know how cap constraints affect the Mavs, have no desire to get into the weeds there. 

55 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

And this is all true. I don’t know how cap constraints affect the Mavs, have no desire to get into the weeds there. 

You aren't unique in that. Donny/Cuban mismanaged shit for years and now it is what it is.   So to some extent new GM's hands are tied but that won't stop a lot of people from blaming him if we take a step back next year. 

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You aren't unique in that. Donny/Cuban mismanaged shit for years and now it is what it is.   So to some extent new GM's hands are tied but that won't stop a lot of people from blaming him if we take a step back next year. 

I won’t. I fully expect to take a step back unless we have a monster step up from some combo of Luka, THJ, Dinwiddie or Wood and probably multiple of them. I like Nico. I’m really impressed in the transition from his first interview on The Ticket where he had trouble answering the most basic Bob Voulgaris questions to the trades pulled off ridding ourselves of KP and getting Wood. 

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Exactly this. If Cuban had signed JB when he was willing to take what DFS signed for, then we would've had a tradeable asset whether we wanted to keep Brunson or not. The whole thing couldn't have been handled worse if they were trying. Just stupid

just when i'm off the moses wright wagon he puts up a 26/11 effort (with 6 fouls though). 

harding had a decent game too, 16 points on 7-10 shooting (2-5 from deep).  jaden had another rough game, his third in a row.  7 points on 3-13 shooting, 0-6 on 3 pointers.  4 TOs and 5 fouls (he had 7 fouls monday night which you don't see much) and a +/- of minus 15.  ouch. 

aj lawson had 6 points on 3-8 shooting.  minus 17. 

i didn't watch this one so i don't have much context but that's pretty representative of summer league play. 

On 7/14/2022 at 1:34 PM, Cornpop said:

Exactly this. If Cuban had signed JB when he was willing to take what DFS signed for, then we would've had a tradeable asset whether we wanted to keep Brunson or not. The whole thing couldn't have been handled worse if they were trying. Just stupid

As noted above, I won't believe JB was really willing to sign when DFS did this spring until a source other than Rick Brunson confirms.   Not buying it.