Leon County: Escaped Inmate Kills Family

Harrison Bergeron

On 6/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Enchubben said:

I know the collins family, from Tomball.  area. Shitty deal for sure and a good family.

I think one of the older boys was a volunteer umpire for Tomball Little League during his free time. 

I went to high school with Chris.  He was always a stand-up dude in all circumstances I cannot fathom the hell that his life has become losing your dad, all your children, and your nephew.  Waylon was a little league umpire and just an all around awesome kid.  Just broken...... a total soul crusher.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 3

On 6/2/2022 at 11:59 PM, Gatorubet said:

It’s hardly ever justly administered and we are more stupid shit show than civil as a society.   But on Earth 2 it might be doable. 

Yeah, example A is this guy, who apparently had not previously committed or been charged with or convicted of capital crimes.

So the death penalty was doing us a hell of a lot of good here.

Yeah, example A is this guy, who apparently had not previously committed or been charged with or convicted of capital crimes.

The fuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, PW119 said:

The fuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy wasn't given the death penalty and it's too late now.  And, although apparently charged with capital crimes, the death penalty was not sought or sentenced.  Arbitrary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Uh, this guy previously killed someone with a pickaxe...

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He killed a cop also, in Hidalgo County 

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He killed a cop also, in Hidalgo County 

And both were apparently charged as capital crimes, yet the death penalty was apparently not sought, or not sentenced.

It is arbitrary.  That's the point.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And both were apparently charged as capital crimes, yet the death penalty was apparently not sought, or not sentenced.

It is arbitrary.  That's the point.

I'm not arguing with you, just adding context. Scumbag should have been vaporized a long time ago. This whole transport and McGyver-esque escape doesn't pass the smell test to me

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He survived being shot by him then? Good. Doesn't make Lopez any less of a scumbag

He & an accomplice got in a shootout with police (didn’t hit anyone but still counts as attempted cap. murder), accomplice got arrested but Lopez evaded capture. Guy is apparently houdini. Didn’t get arrested for it until he was arrested for killing the drug dealer a year later.

Police fared better in shootout #2 at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Has anyone been executed as punishment for a crime that didn't actually kill anyone?

All the time back in the day, and in present day other countries for sure. 

And technically you can still be executed just for committing treason against the US.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

All the time back in the day, and in present day other countries for sure. 

And technically you can still be executed just for committing treason against the US.

I can understand treason. That's akin to an act of war, or being an "enemy combatant" equivalent, which usually means due process more or less goes out the window. Except that the Constitution requires two witnesses to the same "overt act" or a confession. It's hard to calculate how many people will die if someone commits heavy treason. But I don't think they would seek the death penalty for light treason.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, Surly Bevo said:

This guy got off easy. The death penalty is easy. Should have faced years more of a pointless existence of a life pushing a rock up a hill.

What is life if not pushing a rock up a hill? Afaf.

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Has anyone been executed as punishment for a crime that didn't actually kill anyone?

Yes. Relatively recently in Texas, as in within the past 10 years. It's called the Law of Parties.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Yes. Relatively recently in Texas, as in within the past 10 years. It's called the Law of Parties.

I thought law of parties applies if you're a getaway driver for someone who did kill someone. Who has gotten a death penalty for a crime without a dead body?

26 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I thought law of parties applies if you're a getaway driver for someone who did kill someone. Who has gotten a death penalty for a crime without a dead body?

Ah, I see now what you're asking. That's not how I read your original question.

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm not arguing with you, just adding context. Scumbag should have been vaporized a long time ago. This whole transport and McGyver-esque escape doesn't pass the smell test to me

I mean, yeah, his second offense was while serving a sentence for his first offense (capital, anyway).  In theory, that may actually call for the death penalty as he is a demonstrated hazard to other inmates and guards.  

But, he wasn't ultimately sentenced to the death penalty, so there you have it.

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yep.  As the link in Bookman's post above indicates, there was a long period of time in which rapes that didn't result in death could get the death penalty in certain circumstanced in certain states.  IIRC, one of the inmates who was already on Death Row in the Sixties (when Dick Hickock and Perry Smith of In Cold Blood fame arrived at the Kansas State pen) had been sentenced to death and was eventually executed for a particularly vicious rape in that state.    

Edited by Carl Spackler

42 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yep.  As the link in Bookman's post above indicates, there was a long period of time in which rapes that didn't result in death could get the death penalty in certain circumstanced in certain states.  IIRC, one of the inmates who was already on Death Row in the Sixties (when Dick Hickock and Perry Smith of In Cold Blood fame arrived at the Kansas State pen) had been sentenced to death and was eventually executed for a particularly vicious rape in that state.    

I mean recently.

So this is kind of a fucked up coincidence. One of my ex-wife's good friends from HS was sorority sisters with the mother of the boys who were killed by this POS. The grandfather was her FIL. One of their other sorority sisters was the female doctor who was killed last week in the Tulsa shooting.

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

So this is kind of a fucked up coincidence. One of my ex-wife's good friends from HS was sorority sisters with the mother of the boys who were killed by this POS. The grandfather was her FIL. One of their other sorority sisters was the female doctor who was killed last week in the Tulsa shooting.

Misti is a very sweet person.  She is so incredibly nice and kind all the time.  I still haven't reached out to her and Chris yet but I will probably be heading to the funeral to pay my respects.  I just don't even know what to say outside of I'm sorry, I love you, and if you need anything ever I'm here for you.  Words can't express the horrors

• Hook 'Em 2

The funeral was a real tear jerker but I tell you what Chris Collins is a remarkable man.  Most of us would have keeled and not been able to function were we in his shoes (lord knows I would have) and instead he got up and spoke about the devastation and how he and his family's wounds will never heal but that they will make and and wanted to share that hope for us all.

Having known the man for over 30 years you couldn't help but break down and cry as all of my high school classmates we were sitting with can attest.

The state of Texas needs to bar medical transports for convicted killers and only allow medical visits on premises.  This tragedy never should have happened. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, Pimphand said:

The funeral was a real tear jerker but I tell you what Chris Collins is a remarkable man.  Most of us would have keeled and not been able to function were we in his shoes (lord knows I would have) and instead he got up and spoke about the devastation and how he and his family's wounds will never heal but that they will make and and wanted to share that hope for us all.

Having known the man for over 30 years you couldn't help but break down and cry as all of my high school classmates we were sitting with can attest.

The state of Texas needs to bar medical transports for convicted killers and only allow medical visits on premises.  This tragedy never should have happened. 

Did you attend Spring Woods HS? I live in that district and several of my neighbors knew the Collins family (Raymonds, Rogers) growing up.