Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

DAMMIT ... Season 3 of WtW is off the chain.  This sucks not being able to listen to it (for free) or even find a decent stream to watch!

After being down 4-1 at the half, Wrexham come back in the second half to gain a 5-5 (yes, five-to-five) draw with Swindon Town, including TWO goals scored in added time of the second half (90+2 and 90+6!).

I think the boys from Wales are finding this is not the cake walk some in the media were predicting.

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

DAMMIT ... Season 3 of WtW is off the chain.  This sucks not being able to listen to it (for free) or even find a decent stream to watch!

After being down 4-1 at the half, Wrexham come back in the second half to gain a 5-5 (yes, five-to-five) draw with Swindon Town, including TWO goals scored in added time of the second half (90+2 and 90+6!).

I think the boys from Wales are finding this is not the cake walk some in the media were predicting.

I think that media was not the footy media, but fans of the show media. 

• 2 weeks later...

LOL.

The team leading League 2 is Gillingham. They have won 6, lost 2. All but one of the wins is 1-0 the other, 2-1. Their losses are 3-0 and 2-0. They are +1 GD with 7 GF. They are the 4th lowest scoring team in the league.

The rest of the teams in a promotion position all have at least twice the goals scored and combined average 17.5 GF.

They are approaching this season like they understand that the people watching now have followed the season and know the ups, downs, and end. So hit the inflection points of the season, and spend lots of time on the town, the fans, and the players. And the various employees like the broadcaster. 

the thing with the line being run from the racecourse to the hospital was damn cool. 

22 hours ago, The Dog said:

You know, I think the 10 years is too short.

They are only talking about teams that actually made the jump from Tier 4 to the Premier League. But that's a small number of teams. How about all the teams that haven't made it? I'm not saying they can't do it, but I think it's a lot harder than even this video makes it out to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

You know, I think the 10 years is too short.

They are only talking about teams that actually made the jump from Tier 4 to the Premier League. But that's a small number of teams. How about all the teams that haven't made it? I'm not saying they can't do it, but I think it's a lot harder than even this video makes it out to be.

What I took away from it was that going to the Championship is attainable within 5-10 years but the premier league would be a much harder ask within that timeframe. 

And I agree that it's likely even harder than the video makes it out to be. Rob and Ryan are rich but they will need a LOT more $$$ to get to the EPL and to stay there. 

Just now, The Dog said:

What I took away from it was that going to the Championship is attainable within 5-10 years but the premier league would be a much harder ask within that timeframe. 

And I agree that it's likely even harder than the video makes it out to be. Rob and Ryan are rich but they will need a LOT more $$$ to get to the EPL and to stay there. 

Securely in the championship is when they should probably look to sell to a person/group, or bring in an additional owner, that does have the money it takes to go up and stay up. We know Ryan isn’t afraid to sell his projects. 

On 10/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Securely in the championship is when they should probably look to sell to a person/group, or bring in an additional owner, that does have the money it takes to go up and stay up. We know Ryan isn’t afraid to sell his projects. 

I think a smart person would get in with Rob & Ryan. They bring something you can’t get anywhere else. 

BTW - the FA cup episode … so good.

We lived it here:

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:02 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Ryan is probably worth close to $400M. Is that not enough to do it?

22 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

EPL for an individual is Russian oligarch or Saudi prince type money.

Rob and Ryan would need a group of investors joining.

I understand that’s what it takes to buy a club but that huge entry fee would not be needed in this case. Can’t a Championship or Premier club be operated mostly through cash flow? 

Edited by TonyTexas

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I understand that’s what it takes to buy a club but that huge entry fee would not be needed in this case. Can’t a Championship or Premier club be operated mostly through cash flow? 

https://theathletic.com/4367626/2023/03/31/premier-league-accounts-finances-latest/?amp=1

not really.  Just scrolling through there, several clubs reported losses around 50 million.  Some of those clubs aren’t run by billionaires that overpay to compete because 50 million is no big deal to them. 

the clubs I saw as profitable seem to be so due to player transfer fees, which come and go. 

Th championship level could be better or it could be worse. They have the same wage bill rules as epl but not the same media revenue. 

and it’s not like wrexham have an 80,000 seat stadium they could fill to boost revenue like the big clubs have. The racecourse is part of their identity and will be what it is, plus the one end renovation. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

There’s no way that one side should have so many dramatic finishes. Or is English soccer just this kind of madness at all levels?

first goal in that clip was gorgeous. Second one had a good pass wide and a great clinical finish, but letting that cross roll all the way across the box like that is sinful from the defenders. 

OK I'm going to hedge on the PL thing a bit after reading that Rob and Ryan spent 200 million euros to invest in a portion of the Alpine F1 team (through Maximum Effort Investments). 

If Maximum Effort Investments can grow then they should be able to easily do EPL.

So just watch the episode 8 THE GRIND, it’s about the Feb-Mar run of 9 games in 28 days. It’s when Wrexham takes the lead in the standings. Good episode, but ….

I think the show missed an opportunity to educate fans about the oddities of soccer scheduling. How competitions like the FA cup can mess with your league schedule and games in hand. They mention it, but don’t really explain it.

I also think they could have shown the title race better too. When Wrexham played they could have noted the Notts County scores much closer. Combined with the games in hand, It would have made the race make a bit more sense. Because Wrexham took the lead mainly from their games in hand along with matched Notts County results.