2022 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

Whenever Cilic is serving and he bounces the ball, then pauses and looks up and seems to either be distracted by every movement in the stadium or is unsure which serve to hit & where, I always feel that he is playing tennis like Jean Reno would play it if his character in “The Professional” (Leon) was a tennis player rather than a hitman for the mob.

image.thumb.jpeg.99f79a300fac894b31f51202f2b95222.jpeg

OPEN: 

Natalie Portman’s character is huddling in her locker trembling in a torn tennis outfit as her tennis coach is getting arrested by the NYPD for molesting dozens of female tennis players at the tennis academy.

The tennis coach was a friend of her parents and “adopted her” from “Eastern Europe” a year ago when her parents died  in a car wreck along with her little brother, but she wasn’t legally brought to the USA and would surely get deported if her secret was discovered. 

CUT TO: Hallway from the locker room that leads to a practice court where a stubble-faced grizzled veteran tennis is practicing his serve as sweat drips off of his graying beard. He appears to be the only person left at the facility as a hefty older security guard limps from his cart to check locks on various gates. 

The security guard notices Natalie exiting the hallway and questions what she’s doing there. After a long pause, Natalie looks at the  patch of a nation’s flag on the tennis player’s bag and says her native language-

“I’m here with my uncle.”

The security guard is confused and says “Come with me.”, but this time she says in thickly accented English…

”I’m here with my uncle.”

After a lengthy pause and looks at the serving tennis player and at Natalie, the security guard says “Okay. But stay with him. You can’t be wandering around here on your own.” and continues about his routine of closing up the facility.

On the screen, we see…

” C I L I C “

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

This has been well worth the money to be here in-person.

What swag did you buy?

I got a hat ($34), that burlap beach/grocery bag ($20), and the rubber ducky with the red hat ($10) for my friend’s infant.*

4E50B35D-7B71-46A1-8F03-B22DBBDBCBCE.thumb.jpeg.f0e5e3ccccfb479e7d528082c54271ed.jpeg

*They live in Spain 🇪🇸, but visited NYC in late June.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What swag did you buy?

I got a hat ($34), that burlap beach/grocery bag ($20), and the rubber ducky with the red hat ($10) for my friend’s infant.*

*They live in Spain 🇪🇸, but visited NYC in late June.

Oh that’s cool man! I want to get my brother something since he still plays competitively in tournaments in Texas, but I think all the merchandise places will be closed once this ends. I just couldn’t get up to go look once both guys got dialed in.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Man this was such an awesome experience. I definitely need to come back and go to more matches. The energy was really cool throughout and overall it is something I think every sports fan should experience.

I have been four times: 

2010- first week day grounds pass

2013- first week Arthur Ashe night ticket

2016- second week Arthur Ashe night ticket (Quarterfinal: Del Potro v Wawrinka)

2022- opening night Arthur Ashe (Serena then Nick Kyrgios)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have been four times: 

2010- first week day grounds pass

2013- first week Arthur Ashe night ticket

2016- second week Arthur Ashe night ticket (Quarterfinal: Del Potro v Wawrinka)

2022- opening night Arthur Ashe (Serena then Nick Kyrgios)

That’s some cool memories right there that you have made. I definitely need to be back next year. I would love to go again this time, but those prices are getting up there.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I'm curious how tickets and pricing work for the US open. I imagine the main courts are their own ticket and you can get entry to multiple of the smaller courts on a single ticket? I'd love to go to even a non-major professional tournament.

Arthur Ashe Stadium: Day Session & Night Session

Louis Armstrong: Day Session & Night Session

Grand Stand: Day Session . . . not sure if Night Session is separate

Grounds Pass... only considered "Day Session", but you can stick around as late as you want...

ANY DAY TICKET allows you to stick around and wander all over the grounds and check out the various courts which will have singles, doubles, mixed doubles, juniors (boys or girls), wheelchair... whatever as the second week goes on.

NIGHT TICKETS are good starting at about 7pm, but they don't let you enter the gates until about 6pm.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/usopentennis?landing=c&awtrc=true&c=SEM_TMUSTA_ggl_757791276_122851576965_ticketmaster us open&GCID=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjw39uYBhCLARIsAD_SzMTVnJSJOawHtQB1QRmFRcRdTHfXFEUayk18ImUS9zXHbYrrm7Mq74kaAviCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#schedule

I bought my ticket via StubHub and the ticket prices drop as the day approaches and then more as the hour approaches, but it can take an hour (or a bit more) to even have your ticket transferred to you even though it is supposed to happen in less than an hour. I bought my ticket just after 6pm and Serena was supposed to start at 7pm. They must have known that I was getting screwed, because even though I didn't get my ticket until about 7:20pm, I still got to my seat in time to see the first serve.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Garcia rolled up Coco in the first. 

Coco chunking the ball into the net to give Garcia match point. 

And there it is.

SIDE NOTE: NYC fans for Serena & Coco cheering faults of their opponents just annoy the hell out of me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Coco & Kyrgios getting knocked out on the same day really takes the wind out of the US OPEN sails for this fan.

I’ve never seen Khanchanov play that well. I have only been following really closely since December of 2019, so I didn’t see his play that had people saying that he was the best of the new Russian wave.

I expected Caroline Garcia to beat Coco, because she has been a monster recently and is a legit 5’10” who comes to the net. And her flat stomach helps as well, but her serve & volley game from her doubles is what is taking her to another level. 

Anyway, the day after losing Coco & Kyrgios feels like a Blue Wednesday. 

Go Tiafoe, Álcaraz, Pegula, and Pliskova (who has the personality of an opened jar of Elmer’s Paste)!