Vegas Bowl To Drop MWC

Chad Sexington

Looks as though they are looking for a P5 match for a PAC12 host. 

Sources: Las Vegas Bowl will pit Pac-12 vs. another Power 5 league (SEC most intriguing possibility) in 2020 in Vegas’ new NFL stadium. This will end the bowl’s 19-year relationship w/Mountain West. In 2020, MWC could send its champ to Arizona Bowl

Maybe a BigXII opponent?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

I'd look for Vegas to try and move up the pecking order, perhaps by increasing the payouts. 

Correct, This bowl will soon be the 3rd most important bowl on the West Coast behind the Rose and Fiesta. LV has been starving for relevant big time CFB for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Correct, This bowl will soon be the 3rd most important bowl on the West Coast behind the Rose and Fiesta. LV has been starving for relevant big time CFB for a long time. 

If this is the case and as much as I love the Alamo bowl, I wouldn't mind the Big 12 and PAc12 squaring off in the Vegas bowl w/ two teams that just missed the playoffs.

IDK what that would do for the Alamo alliance though.... maybe a high ACC seed? Another SEC would be tough. Go back to B1G? #3 Big12 vs #4 B1G.. that should be a good matchup and the B1G loves a warm climate.

Currently our bowl games are in

Florida

Tenn

Arizona

3 in Texas

Plus a tie-in to Cotton/CFP

I wouldn't mind us dropping Heart of Dallas Bowl for Vegas Bowl. In fact I would jump all over that. SEC come all the way to West Coast? Doubtful

10 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Currently our bowl games are in

Florida

Tenn

Arizona

3 in Texas

Plus a tie-in to Cotton/CFP

I wouldn't mind us dropping Heart of Dallas Bowl for Vegas Bowl. In fact I would jump all over that. SEC come all the way to West Coast? Doubtful

We actually have no tie-in w/ Cotton. It's with the Sugar.

But you're right about Heart of Dallas. Let's drop it.

Vegas in December / January >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dallas.

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ditch the Cactus Bowl for this one.

I'm down with the Cactus Bowl as a location, but December 26th is about the 3rd worst day for a bowl game (behind the 25th and 24th).

This would be be the best move for the Big 12. I wouldn't trade the Alamo Bowl for it though.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, Valmy77 said:

I think both the SEC and Big 12 have problems filling their bowl tie-ins already right?

I assume either would drop a bowl to add this one. No SEC teams get jazzed for a trip to Shreveport or Birmingham so I assume they'd happily drop either for Vegas.

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This would be be the best move for the Big 12. I wouldn't trade the Alamo Bowl for it though.

It would be a "no harm, no foul" move if the XII swapped the bowls in Phoenix & Las Vegas... But before that, the Los Vegas Bowl would need a heavy hitting corporate sponsor...

6 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I assume either would drop a bowl to add this one. No SEC teams get jazzed for a trip to Shreveport or Birmingham so I assume they'd happily drop either for Vegas.

Pretty sure everyone would be ecstatic for a trip to Vegas for a bowl game. But yes, I agree. The Big 12 needs to drop the Cactus Bowl and pick up the Vegas Bowl. 

On 6/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Vegas is on the coast now?  Did the big one finally hit California and I missed it?

Our intrepid 9.95ers keep talking about the revival of West Coast recruiting when our staff goes to Phoenix and Vegas, so it seems everything west of El Paso is the "Coast" for UT.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:02 AM, Longboard Horn said:

It’s all about the money. Hopefully the Vegas Bowl drops BYU permanently as well. 

That aint going to happen, BYU delivers both attendance and ratings for Las Vegas.  Vegas Bowl loves BYU.  

On 6/8/2018 at 6:17 PM, DanRydell said:

It will be SEC vs Pac 12.  There are already Pac12 vs Big12 matchups and an SEC vs Pac12 would be more intriguing and draw greater ratings  

On 6/8/2018 at 6:20 PM, kopp0e said:

It would be a "no harm, no foul" move if the XII swapped the bowls in Phoenix & Las Vegas... But before that, the Los Vegas Bowl would need a heavy hitting corporate sponsor...

An SEC vs Pac 12 bowl needs to happen and most likely will.  

• Like 1