Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

KState takes out #4 Iowa. Even without Ayoka Lee, KState still has a solid team. 

Clark also got injured in the closing minutes. She’s probably more impactful to Iowa than Rori is for Texas

12 hours ago, Pancho said:

Are they a solid team, or was Iowa highly overrated

Confused Thinking GIF

Probably a little of both? KSU has excellent guard play with Sundell, but nothing inside without Lee. Bigs will feast if you can get them the ball inside 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

31-28 Marquette leads at halftime. Texas shooting 29% from the field

MU only at 32% and 12 TOs. That’s why it’s this close. Both teams blow ass at FT (7-15 and 5-10)

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think we end up losing, but the one thing I’m walking away with is that we aren’t getting blown out by any team without Rori. We are competing. 

If we were getting demolished without Rori, I’d be concerned. 

A good point. We keep getting close and then we melt down. Missing Rori’s steadiness but not getting blown out. 

1-3 is still 1-3 though 

Rutgers is awful. We should win. Coveted 7th place and shouldn’t even be ranked, to be honest. We aren’t top 25 without Rori 

Morris and Gonzales do not look comfortable. They do not get this defensive style and it shows. I’d be very very hesitant to bring in transfer guards who don’t “get” this system or didn’t play in defense oriented programs.   

Hunter is, yet again, letting this team down. I’d cut her loose at this point, as harsh as that is - she will never play meaningful minutes at Texas. Vic could have spent the summer finding a legit backup PG, not knowing Hunter would basically disappear by mid-fall and leave us with no depth. 

If Rori ain’t back by Princeton game, I’m worried. This *should* be a 2 week injury based on what I’ve read. 

From the post-game presser, the players and Vic don't seem down.  Someone compared this to the softball team early this year - they needed time to gel with the new players, and look what happened.

Vic also mentioned Rori may have "sat her last game" but they may sit her against Rutgers - mentioned she's seeing her doctor on Wednesday and they'll do what the doctor says.  Hopefully she'll be back by Princeton. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hunter is, yet again, letting this team down. I’d cut her loose at this point, as harsh as that is - she will never play meaningful minutes at Texas. Vic could have spent the summer finding a legit backup PG, not knowing Hunter would basically disappear by mid-fall and leave us with no depth. 

We really need Kyndall, but even when she was present, she had a hard time getting on the court. If she truly is having some “non-playing time” related mental issues, I’m sorry about that, but at this point it just feels like she scampered and let the team down. Vic obviously counted on her being the fourth guard and it’s hurting us now.

With the new NIL mentality players are acknowledged to be massively important financially to teams. If you burn a scholarship and refuse to play you are definitely damaging to the team’s ability to make money in the tourney and be successful. The team has a responsibility to you, and you have a responsibility to the team. You may suck, but at least show up. (Still hating on Kawhi stealing 18 million off my Spurs and refusing to play..)

Hard to believe the loss one player could drop us from title contenda to unranked but I'm clinging to that hope now. Very disappointed but we knew we were extremely thin at guard. We also lost most of our staff and I wonder if we are getting some adequate instruction at the different positions, but the issue is mainly lack of ball handlers.

When Rori comes back (I’m guessing not tonight but next Sunday vs Princeton) all the players will go back to their intended roles and I’ll bet we’re damned good again. This team obviously is flawed but still might slip through all the way to Dallas. We have some great pieces, we just need to get our captain back and get everyone working together.

In the days of the portal, it may take longer for teams to show their true potential.

Looks like the losers game tonight is still on the weird streaming service and not even on ESPN+. Furq.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, Js1 said:

From the post-game presser, the players and Vic don't seem down.  Someone compared this to the softball team early this year - they needed time to gel with the new players, and look what happened.

Vic also mentioned Rori may have "sat her last game" but they may sit her against Rutgers - mentioned she's seeing her doctor on Wednesday and they'll do what the doctor says.  Hopefully she'll be back by Princeton. 

Good news?!

44AE239A-7310-452A-BA79-4FB1D7013DEB.thumb.png.1b9cfd65e136acbc661ba7e64f89a722.png

• Like 1