USMNT 2023

ztejas

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That’s like €9M for each assist he dishes out and €14M for each goal that he’s expected to score this year. 

€22k for every minute Gerg plays him in Copa.

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

LOL at the Leeds fan in the comments: "He's shit. You don't want him." 

(Leeds fans don't want him to go but they know the reality.)

Idk. This comment is being unironically up voted.

After Harrison he’s probably the one I’d hate the most to lose, but I think Tyler leaving would be the least impactful of any first choice player still at the club

18 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

ok, but fuck xavi nonetheless

i mean, i like Xavi and Barca is my team but they have some wildass $$ issues and no sense in spending time on a player they can't sell (likely because they don't want to take a 100% loss on him) and can't loan out. just let the player go and let him find his own spot.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I always thought that the contracts were guaranteed. 

Does this mean that anyone can pick him up and Barça doesn’t need to pay him anything?

Or Barça pays the difference?

I think he gets paid by barca, no offsets. Trying to remember what was going on w Braithwaite in this scenario a few years ago.

So I think he gets paid and gets to find his new spot vs barca sending him somewhere 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

I think he gets paid by barca, no offsets. Trying to remember what was going on w Braithwaite in this scenario a few years ago.

So I think he gets paid and gets to find his new spot vs barca sending him somewhere 

I don’t understand this at all. At this point why would anyone deal for Dest? If you know that Barca is about let him go in some way, why not wait for that and pick him up on a free?

Then again I now understand why Barca is in financial trouble. 

Edited by Captain Ron
I mean this club let Messi leave on a free!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Barca management and Xavi have turned that club into trash. They pulled so much shit on de Jong last summer along with Dest and other. Almost to the point where I want to pull for Real Madrid over them.

14 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Then again I now understand why Barca is in financial trouble. 

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Barca management and Xavi have turned that club into trash. They pulled so much shit on de Jong last summer along with Dest and other. Almost to the point where I want to pull for Real Madrid over them.

i'll spoiler this because no one cares about Barca lol

Spoiler

Barca is easily the worst run big club in the world. the hope was it would get better with LaPorta coming back (his last presidency ended in 2010), but they have still struggled.

Then again they had two corrupt as hell Presidents between (Rosell and Bartomeu) - one guy was an actual fraudster and Bartomeu hired a social media company to smear a bunch of stars (Messi and Pique and Pep + others), including his future opponents for president or people he thought would run for President, and pro-Catalan independence orgs.

LaPorta hasn't been great. they are so fucked financially due to prior decisions, then their current decisions magnifying those mistakes. just so terrible in the transfer market.

look at these transfers since Neymar left in 17: https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-barcelona/alletransfers/verein/131

spent 395m euros on Dembele (sold for 50m, but he gets 25m of it evidently?), Coutinho (20m) and Griezmann (20m) - a loss of 210m on those 3 alone + the insane wages they all got.

35m on Clement Lenglet. 41m on Malcom. 20m on Firpo. 21m on Dest. 60m on the absolute illegal swap that was Pjanic (accounting reasons, Arthur was swapped as part of this deal.) purchased Trincao for 31m and sold him for 7 like 2 years later. 55m for Ferran Torres, who was a player who didn't play a position of need but was a big name and they "took" him from City. 58m for Raphina, then not playing him as much as they should. going back further they purchsed Ardur Turan for 34m and then let him go for free.

86m for FdJ made sense. but they smeared him for not taking a paycut for the contract they signed him to. can't blame him.

not that any of this matters, the LaLiga president plays favorites and has for years. dude is killing futbol in Spain, but doesn't really give a fuck.

I don't think Xavi was the right guy to hire for the job but he did fine this last year and is who he is. La Masia keeps pumping out dudes left and right somehow. they still have an incredible MF (FdJ, Pedri, Gavi), they have some good purchases (like Araujo) and he and Balde appears to be a rock solid part of defense moving forward. Fati has huge potential if healthy? who knows where they end up next year.

11 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Almost to the point where I want to pull for Real Madrid over them.

Let's not start saying things we're going to regret later. 

Also - not saying anyone is biased against them for what happened with Dest - but he's just not a top Euro fullback. I've always thought he should be played at the wing or wingback at the deepest. One of the main reasons he plays RB for us is without anyone challenging him is because our depth is fucking shit at that position. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Let's not start saying things we're going to regret later. 

Also - not saying anyone is biased against them for what happened with Dest - but he's just not a top Euro fullback. I've always thought he should be played at the wing or wingback at the deepest. One of the main reasons he plays RB for us is without anyone challenging him is because our depth is fucking shit at that position. 

Yes…

I recall some Napoleon guy posting far and wide a couple of years ago that the best like-for-like replacement for Christian Pulisic that the USMNT had was a Dutch kid named Sergiño Dest.

And that motha fuckin’ emperor was right!

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Um. He can't get on the pitch at Middlesborough but he's going to get minutes for SJ? 

Are they selling Cowell?

🙏

But if SJ isn’t selling Cowell, I think that returning to the US will provoke an attitude adjustment. My guess is that his biggest problem is between the ears.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:40 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Trusty to Sheffield United. Seems like a good landing spot.  

he will start at blades

this is perfect

Spoiler

It took Auston Trusty all of 12 months to make the move from MLS to the Premier League.

Trusty, 24, has been sold by Arsenal to Sheffield United for a fee reported to be 5 million pounds ($6.35 million).

Trusty, a product of the Philadelphia Union academy, left the Colorado Rapids for Arsenal, which turned around and sent him to Birmingham City in the Championship, where he was the Blues' player of the season in 2022-23 (four goals in 44 starts).

His play with Birmingham City earned him a recall to the USMNT for which he came on as a sub in the 2-0 win over Canada in the 2023 Concacaf Nations League final.

"The opportunity to be here at this historic club, and an opportunity to play in the Premier League and show my ability, it is everything I could have ever dreamed of growing up as a kid," Trusty told the Sheffield United web site. "In Pennsylvania, this was a dream -- almost an impossible dream but I believed in myself and the opportunity has come around, it is everything that I dreamed for.

"It is crazy how quick things happen in football. I have just come back from a U.S. tour with Arsenal and a couple of days later I am sitting here doing this interview. Things did happen very quick, but that's how football works. I was really looking for an opportunity so as soon as it came about, things and details were ironed out. I am here, I wasn't wasting any time."

"We are so proud to see how far Auston has come and the journey he has been on," Arsenal sporting director Edu said. "If you look at him when he joined us compared to now when he is leaving us, he has achieved so much. We see him now, a USA international having won Player of the Season with Birmingham City in a competitive league, which you have to remember was his first in English football. He now moves to a Premier League club where he will play top-flight football. Everyone involved in Auston's progression to this point should have great satisfaction in the steps he has taken, moving on to this new challenge."

Sheffield United won promotion to the Premier League after spending the last two seasons in the Championship. As recently as a decade ago, the Blades were in League One.

"I'm delighted we've managed to get this one over the line, it is one of the positions we've been looking to fill and it is with one our own, a permanent transfer rather than a loan," Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom said. He is at a good age to progress, he has experience having played at international level and in the Championship last year, where we monitored him and he picked up Birmingham's player of the year award. As a coaching team we feel that he has the athleticism and desire to succeed in the Premier League."
  •  

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Isn't Cowell at LW?

To be honest I'm not sure what position Hoppe is supposed to play. It seems nebulous. If they sell Cowell then maybe they'd shift stuff around. 

I guess he's a nice depth acquisition but I doubt he's walking into the starting lineup and even if he's marginally better than Cowell I'm not sure why you'd play him over Cade. 

Espinoza is way better. It looks like their striker is pretty good, too.

Idk. MLS has very similar attacking talent to the Championship even though it's not a better league. He could find more success but he will still be fighting for PT.

12 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Is the over/under on Chelsea managers this coming season still at 2.5?

That really should be the O/U any year. You’re basically asking:

Will the manager last the full season? …or…

Will the manager get sacked, a replace manager will take charge for 1 to 5 matches, and then at least one Official New Manager will be hired for “the rest of the season”?

I don’t think that simply having 2 managers is really even an option.