Gardening 2023: Beets Offseason

Mrs Whiggins

20230402_163217.thumb.jpg.0a86baaa4cd968592843f20751286f96.jpg

First try at a garden. Built the raised bed a month ago and planted everything on April 2nd. Tomatoes and cucumbers all have cages now. Bed is filled with garden mix soil and now mulched.  I'm watering everything by hand every other day. Plants are looking healthy. When should I fertilize if at all? Am I over watering? 

Growing

Grape tomatoes 

Celebrity tomatoes 

Tasty green cucumbers 

Jalapeños,  tobasco, and red peppers

Sweet basil

• Hook 'Em 2

Miracle Gro once a week

You need to plant bigger tomatoes much sooner. Once the lows are in the upper 70s-80s the flowers wont set fruit. You’ll have to hope for a cool June. 

Suggestion for next year. In February Buy tomatoes in 6 or 9 packs (cheap) then up pot them in DEEP plastic 4 inch pots (not easy to find), keep them in trays to be able bring in on cold nights. Use Miracle Gro for tomatoes frequently. You can use a dilute solution almost daily. Around March 10th, go for it. Plant deep in the ground with a little compost and slow release fertilizer. 

The pic above is

2 nine packs  @$6.99 Lowes, got lucky, not a fan of their prices

9 singles @$1.49 HEB huge fan of their veggies and prices 

3 tomatoes are from last year! See post on previous page, cut back and growing again

$9 for seed potatoes 

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Hook 'Em 2

I threw caution to the wind and planted ours at the end of February... all tomato plants blowing and going.  Have a lot of fruit setting and our Early Girl is covered with stout tomatoes.  Peppers looking good too and setting a bunch of fruit.  I've also been planting arugula seeds along drip hoses so they get regular water.  Had a bit of damp off with some seedlings but majority are growing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, miguelito said:

We have at least 24 hummingbirds buzzing around our 2 feeders. So much fun to watch and listen to them.

That's awesome.  90% of our St. Augustine lawn died last year in the drought. My wife and I decided we are going to build beds around the edges and plant natives for birds, bees and butterflies. Get rid of as much turf as we can while still giving the kids room to run and play. No 

We planted a ton of salvia, milkweed, Greg's mist and in just the last 48 hours I've noticed more butterflies and hummingbirds in my yard than before.  The plants aren't even blooming yet. It's like they know they're there.

It makes me happy to feel like I'm contributing to the ecosystem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

What would cause the buds on my pepper plants to fall off?  I see the flowers form, then the buds, then they fall off. I don't see a lot of bugs on those plants.  Is it too much water, not enough, chilly mornings?  Is it lupus?

Pure speculation, but the cold weather would be my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

My fb popped up a pic of my garden from this day last year and man .. it was twice as lush as this year. Anyone else's off to a slow start because of this weather? I don't want it to get super hot but I'd like to see the sun again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, NorthLoop said:

Gotdamn neighborhood cat shit in my raised bed last night, even with my little fence around it. Guess it's time to spread some cayenne around. 

Had new neighbors build next door and moved in about 6 months ago.  In all of the permutations of dumbassedry I contemplated, 7 outdoor cats never even entered the equation.  All up in my business, trampling flowers, shitting in the yard.  

On a related note, does anyone know how to attract coyotes? 

I picked a few tomatoes, jalapenos, strawberries, and blackberries yesterday.  I need to uproot my onions and set them out to dry, but it's all wet this morning.

Question: can anyone recommend a good small pump?  I have a couple of rain barrels below my deck, and I want a pump so I can run a hose up to the plants on the deck.  I've been handwatering with a 2 gallon can, but that gets old quick. 

I see some on homedepot's website, but I don't know good from bad.

Townes Van Plant still kicking. I’ve had to prune a bunch and just cut down the central stem a bit because it was getting too tall. I saw some pictures of a dwarf umbrella with really cool looking aerial roots, which are apparently encouraged by high humidity. So I’ve got it in the greenhouse.

IMG_2664.thumb.jpeg.cd92f4a08f012353a545f197882ac0dc.jpeg

My garden has a 6' fence all around it to keep the deers out.  The fence has full height wire fencing (4" x 2" holes), with chicken wire for the bottom 3' added on.

A few nights ago I noticed a fox inside the fencing.  I scared him/her away, but I didn't see how it got in or out.  I checked the perimeter and couldn't see where it went under or through the fence.

So last night I was sitting outside drinking beer about 20 yards from the garden, and I watched the fox climb the fence.  When it got to the top I asked "what are you doing up there?"  It sheepishly jumped down outside the fence and crept away into the trees. 

I haven't noticed any produce missing or nibbled on, so maybe the fox was just after mice or big bugs or something.  Do I need to be worried about a fox in the garden?

Also, while sitting out last night by the fire, I saw a scorpion, a tarantula, a bat, a jackrabbit, purple martins, hummingbirds, a 1-day old fawn, lots of lightning bugs/fireflies, and heard a Chuck-will's widow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have a cursed spot in their garden? I have one little spot - gets plenty of sun - I've reworked the soil just to be sure... but every single plant I put there dies within like 2 or 3 weeks. I'm convinced there's a hidden nuclear reactor under there. Just baffles me.