Gardening 2023: Beets Offseason

Mrs Whiggins

Seed catalogs have been arriving and display the lovely 4 color processing that tempts the fingers to reach for the wallet with optimism and dreams of blooms and bountiful harvests.

Last couple of years have been a challenge. Crazy heat, crazy cold, and this week I was surveying the effects of the extreme freeze on some of the cool season crops and also the fall planted flower seedlings (poppies, larkspur, snapdragons, etc). Yuck, not great. Lost pretty much all the snapdragons even though I had covered them. Grew 3 flats from seed into nice sized plants and too late to grow more I'm fairly certain. Beets, carrots, and lettuces all look sad due to the length of the cold but may rebound. Ornamental cabbages in the front are woebegone but may rebound with some sun and seasonable weather.

Oh well, on to the spring. Will start tomatoes inside here shortly as well as peas, etc for veg and haven't decided on which flowers. I've got a half dozen or so sweet peas (love the scent) that I'm babying along outdoors when the weather is nice and will transplant past the last freeze date. I always plant sunflowers, zinnias, etc but have plenty of good seed from last year. Looking at putting in tomatoes (Celebrity), cucumber, peppers, herbs, and I'm giving up on any squash save zuccinni I think. Just ran out of room and tired of fighting the bugs. Potatoes in soon, and the lettuces that I grow all the time save the hottest months for sure. I had some celery growing that I transplanted from seed in the fall, and it looked amazing (too small to harvest though) and the cold just wiped it out. Too much liquid in the stems of certain plants spells disaster when it freezes. But it was fun to grow anyway.

Anyone else have plans?

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

towards the end of the year my boss (who is... a good guy but a little loopy) sent out an invite for "MANDATORY TEAM MEETING". First couple of slides were about the art of bonsai, something about how they are meticulously pruned to yada yada yada you get it, at this point I have linkedin jobs open in a separate tab and am looking for my next position. And then it turned out that the meeting was literally about bonsai trees, which were the team gift.

That was early December....

F3BC2F1B-C312-4796-A666-D556EA9AF579.thumb.jpeg.67c9afb9b450d41180b2fae6f5d22239.jpeg

This is now....

81E86377-DC0A-46ED-90BA-4CA0B0513C28.thumb.jpeg.d80c92c876a4f36b8337da1df4cbfa0c.jpeg

this may not really be the thread but I'm going to be keeping this thing alive and figuring out how I'm supposed to prune it

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

…. Seems clear the plant likes it

It does! It really perked up in the Before/After.

With respect to topic, I tend to think of the Gardening one as fairly broad in nature. Veggies may dominate most of the discussion, but to me it ought to include flowers and other similar things because the Lawn & Landcape thread seems more suited for diagnosis and discussion of lawn issues as well as overarching design considerations i.e. what plant would be good for this area of someone's landscape etc. I don't wish to clutter that thread when I have a photo heavy blooms post that might bury a lawn pest question. The Gardening thread never gets so large during the year that it is ever cumbersome, IMO. Post away with bonsai!

Bonsai is a neat hobby and when my children were little they so would have put tiny gnomes or tiny army people under that plant, haha.

• Like 1

I think most of my onions survived the freeze last week.  Besides that, I just spread some crimson clover seeds as a cover crop in one of my beds.  Tommy James would approve.

Last summer sucked.  The plants gave up, and so did I, so I'm kind of starting my beds over this year.  Hence the cover crop.  It's supposed to add nitrogen to the soil.  I've also got a decent compost pile I'll be adding to the beds. 

I need to figure out my rain barrel system to get that water closer to the garden.

20 hours ago, miguelito said:

I think most of my onions survived the freeze last week.  Besides that, I just spread some crimson clover seeds as a cover crop in one of my beds.  Tommy James would approve.

Last summer sucked.  The plants gave up, and so did I, so I'm kind of starting my beds over this year.  Hence the cover crop.  It's supposed to add nitrogen to the soil.  I've also got a decent compost pile I'll be adding to the beds. 

I need to figure out my rain barrel system to get that water closer to the garden.

You got any tips on onions? Mine always die shortly after sprouting. 

Are you starting onions from seed, or from the sets (like green onion starters)?  I've never tried from seed.  The sets are pretty forgiving.  You need to loosen the soil pretty good so that the onions have room to grow.  But you just stick them in the dirt 1/2" or so and that's it.  I think you're supposed to fertilize them, but I'm bad about that.